Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I like how FFXIV pvp scratches that moba itch without the feedback loop of the winning team getting stronger so they can keep winning and keep getting further ahead. It means your team can identify a threat on the other team and start prioritizing them, or realize they need to wait for backup before going back in, and you can pull off some nice rallies, and come from behind or at least draw matches that you were losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tamba posted:

It's the same UI element that announces the kills. You should move it somewhere where you can actually see it.

Thanks everyone. I honestly didn't even know you could move that stuff around in the UI because I wasn't in a wasn't in a PvP area when I was looking.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
it's really funny that the deadliest class in PvP is hands down white mage and it's not even close

I'm so tired of seeing them every game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Immediately before the wind hits sounds like a funny time to use a war lb.

Especially if it also makes the war immune to the wind (does it?)

Or the whm laser stun, or the reaper fear, or any other on demand cc if you can manage it. Same thing for rooting people in the bomberman volcano map.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

kung fu jive posted:

Honestly I would love for the next FF MMO to have smaller kits with less overall buttons to press in PvE but much faster paced (akin to Guild Wars 2). I will dream about 2030 when Yoshi finishes the 9th and final expansion for XIV and moves on to the next one.

Yeah the XIV kits are too bloated for me but GW2 also feels a tad too anemic. I'd say 18-24 abilities, all in, would be my optimal number.

Would be pretty cool to see a standalone release along the lines of CC/wow arena or whatever with snappier gameplay. I can't think of much that fits in that genre space outside of like, Smite maybe.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Dragongem posted:

it's really funny that the deadliest class in PvP is hands down white mage and it's not even close

I'm so tired of seeing them every game

Anything with a stun,baby

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

hazardousmouse posted:

Anything with a stun,baby

and a non-cleansible CC! don't forget that!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 19, 2022

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A Moose posted:

Pretty light on the debuffs. As far as I can tell, the only one you have is if you cast Gravity, and then copy it with double cast, which puts a 75% Heavy on the main target and any others in a 5y radius, so you won't be locking anyone down, though it is good if you either get someone separated, or hit multiple targets before they engage on you, to give your team time to engage on your terms.

The shield from double casting Aspected Benefic is pretty chunky and can stop someone from getting focused down, at least long enough for them to Purify + Recuperate, and sometimes you want to cast it on yourself then follow it up with recuperate.

Because of your cards, Macrocosmos, and LB, you want to stick close to the fight, but you don't want to be in front of your team getting focused, so your positioning matters a lot.

You don't have to double cast it to get the heavy, that's on the normal gravity cast. The double cast effect is a bind.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

acumen posted:

Yeah the XIV kits are too bloated for me but GW2 also feels a tad too anemic. I'd say 18-24 abilities, all in, would be my optimal number.

Would be pretty cool to see a standalone release along the lines of CC/wow arena or whatever with snappier gameplay. I can't think of much that fits in that genre space outside of like, Smite maybe.

I agree. GW2 pacing of combat is great, but there is a lack of buttons unless you are talking about off cases like Elementalist. The only downside to a standalone release like that is it would consume so much of my time that I would fall behind on the PvE side.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I salute the brave souls daring enough to play BRD in this Aglaia I just ran. Shame three of you got sorted into the same party, but oh well. You're all much braver than I, the person who correctly guessed this would happen and switched to NIN for that run instead. :patriot:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't play Ranked. I stick to Casual because I don't want to drag down people who are making an earnest effort to be competitive.

As long as you're actively trying to win and have some experience with the class you're using, play ranked IMO. I'm still in Bronze and my experience got exponentially better when I started playing ranked, just because (almost) everybody I matched up with was also trying to win. No AFKers in the corner, less people just mindlessly zerging forward in to death because a fast loss is more efficient points/time than a grindy overtime win, etc.

Even if you completely suck at it, you'll just sit at the bottom of bronze, and you'll probably have a better time there because genuinely good players will advance up to the ranks where you'll never see them again.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah, I think especially right now it's a good time to just queue into ranked and take what you get. you don't need to be a crystal tryhard or anything but you'll eventually average out to people around your skill level and probably have a better time for it.

I can empathize with not wanting to drag other people down but as someone who's been through the wringer multiple times on my way to diamond (and hopefully crystal) yeah those losses were annoying in sequence but also I don't remember a single person's name from those matches.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

yeah, I think especially right now it's a good time to just queue into ranked and take what you get. you don't need to be a crystal tryhard or anything but you'll eventually average out to people around your skill level and probably have a better time for it.

I can empathize with not wanting to drag other people down but as someone who's been through the wringer multiple times on my way to diamond (and hopefully crystal) yeah those losses were annoying in sequence but also I don't remember a single person's name from those matches.

someone isn't keeping an online grievance spreadsheet

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

time spent on upkeep is time spent not in a match

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I remembered one person's name for a couple days. Because all they spammed was "Push the Crystal!" even when it was 2v5, and we were the 2. Then after about a minute they just AFK'd in spawn. It's not coming to mind now so maybe I've forgotten, or maybe I'll remember if I see them again, not sure.

Either way I have to take a break from CC, because about 20ish losses in a row over almost 3 days has turned any enjoyment of the mode into a practice in frustration for me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do we know what the rank rewards are. like assuming they give something out at the end of the season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Super No Vacancy posted:

do we know what the rank rewards are. like assuming they give something out at the end of the season

borders for your portraits

you might actually just unlock them immediately on earning a rank too

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are portrait borders for each tier and portrait borders for the top 100 on the data center, all with some bonus trophy crystals. For good or for ill, if you don't like climbing it really really doesn't matter at all

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

borders for your portraits

you do not, fwiw. I think you have to wait until the end of the ranked season for them to mail a token that, when used, unlocks a hidden achievement that has rewards attached to it.

at least that's how it worked for feast and firmament ranking.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You also get extra Trophy Crystals.

IcePhoenix posted:

Nah, you have to wait until the season ends. You can see them in-game under the (Rank) Conflict options for frame, background and sticker.

If you want to see them all in one place, here's official rewards page that also includes the breakdown for how many Crystals you get.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Oh drat, glad to see I extremely dont care about those rewards. Ranked vs casual means nothing to me right now but might as well just keep doing ranked.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The Shadowbringer Collectors Edition Cards Frame nicely

Bought the frame from https://www.etsy.com/shop/FabledFraming

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Badger of Basra posted:

someone isn't keeping an online grievance spreadsheet

Wait, you don't have an int list?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onean posted:

You also get extra Trophy Crystals.

Nah, you have to wait until the season ends. You can see them in-game under the (Rank) Conflict options for frame, background and sticker.

If you want to see them all in one place, here's official rewards page that also includes the breakdown for how many Crystals you get.

Do you get bronze for even participating in ranked at all, or do you have to win at least one match?

:v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you have to win three matches to move from unranked to bronze, but you don't lose progress from losing a match until you've broken into bronze.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

so when's xiv getting its own thread just for pvp :v:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/crystallineconflict/reward/1

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So are old plots freed up from people who actually moved not going to be freed up until they fix things for the lottery system?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ok, I'm trying to get into nu-SMN to lvl it from 80-90. How do I use all these "cannot be assigned to hotbar" abilities like Scarlet flame et al? They don't seem to replace the other abilities I already have set to my bars.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, I'm trying to get into nu-SMN to lvl it from 80-90. How do I use all these "cannot be assigned to hotbar" abilities like Scarlet flame et al? They don't seem to replace the other abilities I already have set to my bars.

It's when you summon Phoenix. It'll replace the same things that Summon Bahamut does.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

hazardousmouse posted:

Scarlet flame is just Ruin Iii while Phoenix is out

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Allarion posted:

Scarlet flame is just Ruin Iii while Phoenix is out

Ruin III becomes Fountain of Fire when Phoenix is out, Scarlet Flame is Phoenix's auto-attack

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I think I've accounted for all the abilities except for deathflare and everlasting flight. I don't currently have physick set, does flight replace that?

aaahhh astral flow > deathflare

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 19, 2022

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
most unassignable SMN abilities replace one of your normal buttons, the exceptions are
Wyrmwave: Demi-Bahamut's auto-attack
Akh Morn: used by Demi-Bahamut when you press Enkindle Bahamut
Everlasting Flight: used by Demi-Phoenix after being summoned
Scarlet Flame: Demi-Phoenix's auto-attack
Revelation: used by Demi-Phoenix when you press Enkindle Phoenix

Deathflare replaces Astral Flow when you use Dreadwyrm Trance/Summon Bahamut.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

I think I've accounted for all the abilities except for deathflare and everlasting flight. I don't currently have physick set, does flight replace that?

Those are what Bahamut/Phoenix cast when they get summoned. There is no button for it that you could press.

e: ^^^ is right, replaces one of your buttons. Megaflare is what Bahamut does when summoned (but only in PVP)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 19, 2022

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

hazardousmouse posted:

It’s just a passive HoT that Phoenix applies.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

hazardousmouse posted:

I don't currently have physick set

Correct.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol weird. Thanks! SMN's gonna feel weird

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird ARC/SMN/SCH still has physic, like who is that for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Scholar, mostly.