Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Scholz keeps surprising me with his capacity to piss as many people as possible in the fewest possible actions.

Scholz is displaying that vaunted German efficiency. Should restore any lost faith that they had lost their national ethos after their constant dithering over taking any concrete actions.

(Although based on the comments ITT, it seems they are still being nearly as slow as feasible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

This graph really makes it clear how cheap this is to the West, in terms of aid to Ukraine. 8 billion is a rounding error for the US.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I know the US is everyone's least favorite country. But for this specific topic of military support to Ukraine I'm drat proud of them for stepping up to help.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bad_fmr posted:

Why the hell would anyone think Nicky 2 as a symbol of strength? Like pick almost any other Tsar instead :psyduck:

idk they made the stupid gently caress a saint. i assume they also like his dad too.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More Germanposting, since you people can't seem to get enough of it (:v:)

quote:

According to information from the Süddeutsche Zeitung, the German government is preparing another package that significantly exceeds the quality of the systems delivered so far. The Federal Ministry of Defence had drawn up the list of weapon systems and equipment available at short notice mentioned by Scholz after a query with the industry. It includes mortars with a calibre of 120 millimetres and automatic cannons, radar systems for ground surveillance and for locating enemy positions, as well as electronic jamming systems.

The SZ is pretty reliable, but the mention of autocannons makes me raise an eyebrow. The only standalone autocannons I know of would be something like Mantis or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5_F4_Eod8

And it seems highly dubious to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm catching up on the thread, but just wanted to reply and say holy poo poo, this owns.

Just imagine sitting at your computer in Russia, tapping in assembly code to a terminal window and you get vaporized in a targeted attack. Wowzers!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Makes me sad my country is not on the list. But then again Finland announced a new package to Ukraine and are declining to state whats in it

https://twitter.com/defencefinland/status/1516423857896366084

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Antigravitas posted:

The SZ is pretty reliable, but the mention of autocannons makes me raise an eyebrow. The only standalone autocannons I know of would be something like Mantis or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5_F4_Eod8

Sounds more like "heavy" infantry weapons to me. So M120 Mortars and the HK GMW, which qualifies as an autocannon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I do wonder how feasible would be to spin the leclerc or ariete lines back up to provide cheap tanks while the germans wait on what armor is fine or not to ship to ukraine. Tech wise nothing in it would be advanced enough to be worriesome for nato members to disclose if captured.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm catching up on the thread, but just wanted to reply and say holy poo poo, this owns.

Just imagine sitting at your computer in Russia, tapping in assembly code to a terminal window and you get vaporized in a targeted attack. Wowzers!

Keep in mind that it appears to be a literal nobody posting that. I’ve yet to see anyone repeat the story.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Makes me sad my country is not on the list. But then again Finland announced a new package to Ukraine and are declining to state whats in it

https://twitter.com/defencefinland/status/1516423857896366084

Finland: "gently caress you Russia, stop us."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/19/russia-deployed-20000-mercenaries-ukraine-donbas-region

quote:

Russia has deployed up to 20,000 mercenaries from Syria, Libya and elsewhere in its new offensive in Ukraine’s Donbas region, sent into battle with no heavy equipment or armoured vehicles, according to a European official.

The official said the estimates of mercenary involvement on the ground in eastern Ukraine range from 10,000 to 20,000 and that it was hard to break down that figure between Syrians, Libyans and other fighters recruited by the Russian mercenary company, the Wagner Group.

“What I can tell you is that we did see some transfer from these areas, Syria and Libya, to the eastern Donbas region, and these guys are mainly used as a mass against the Ukrainian resistance,” the official said. “It’s infantry. They don’t have any heavy equipment or vehicles.”

Syrian ex-soldiers have been offered monthly salaries of between $600 and $3,000, depending on rank and experience, to fight in Ukraine. Wagner is reported to have moved most of its soldiers who had been fighting in Libya to Ukraine, and last month Ukrainian military intelligence claim that Russia had made a deal with the Moscow-backed Libyan warlord, Khalifa Haftar, to send Libyan fighters.

Antigravitas posted:

This thing looks metall as gently caress. :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I do wonder how feasible would be to spin the leclerc or ariete lines back up to provide cheap tanks while the germans wait on what armor is fine or not to ship to ukraine. Tech wise nothing in it would be advanced enough to be worriesome for nato members to disclose if captured.

Even if the tooling hasn't been destroyed it would take a long time to get things going. If it has been? Might be almost impossible.

A quick look shows the last Ariete rolled off the lines in 2002 so I doubt it would be possible to spin things up while the last Leclerc was built in 2007 but Nexter claims they can restart production if needed. But I imagine that's more of a "France is literally at war" thing.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1516484204544118784?s=20&t=QPEBqozTigqrY1rSYrz0xw

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kraftwerk posted:

I know the US is everyone's least favorite country. But for this specific topic of military support to Ukraine I'm drat proud of them for stepping up to help.

It's great and all but it's not pure altruism.

This is an enormous handout to the MIC. Every item sent to Ukraine is an item that America needs to buy again.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Don't know about Ariete, but Leclerc isn't cheap nor not advanced enough. Also, someone posted classified excerpts from tank's manual to prove a point on War Thunder forums. Even better, that was some time after another player posted another batch of classified information about Challenger 2 on same forums. Amazing, I love the internet.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is an enormous handout to the MIC. Every item sent to Ukraine is an item that America needs to buy again.

Of course its not pure altruism, nothing in geopolitics is done because of pure altruism. I'm still very proud nonetheless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yeah but there's no avoiding that. What Ukraine needs is military equipment. There's no diplomacy, nothing else that they need. They need to make Russia bleed on Ukrainian soil.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Keep in mind that it appears to be a literal nobody posting that. I’ve yet to see anyone repeat the story.

I haven't seen it elsewhere either, but there has to be a very good explanation for sending helicopters to blow up an office in russia

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

GaussianCopula posted:

Sounds more like "heavy" infantry weapons to me. So M120 Mortars and the HK GMW, which qualifies as an autocannon.

Rheinmetall produces a variety of autocannons from 20mm to 35mm for their different vehicles. Could be a version of one of those.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GaussianCopula posted:

Makes sense, I didn't think of automatic grenade launchers. Ukraine apparently already operates the MK19.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

The Leclerc seems like a good tank to send to the Ukrainians since it has an autoloader so they'd probably be more comfortable with it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yes I know. But that 13+ billion "tip" in congress added to the last budget for their military in retrospect turns out to be for replacement of all the weapons they've been sending Ukraine. I think that number represents the upper limit of what the US currently estimates it'll be spending for military equipment to Ukraine by budget. Anything past that will probably require a special legislation above and beyond these smaller legislated aid packages. The actual defense industry apparently is having major supply chain issues and labor issues where they've lost a lot of people to COVID and other factors so their ability ramp up and quickly replace what was given away is apparently limited and carries a downside risk that when the conflict is over the government will leave them high and dry with all the extra production capacity. For that reason apparently defense contractors haven't done much to improve the production rates.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I kinda wonder where Ukraine's non-renovated T-64 and T-72 hulls are, especially given the Czech offer of doing repairs. Well, probably not Lviv...

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Trump posted:

Rheinmetall produces a variety of autocannons from 20mm to 35mm for their different vehicles. Could be a version of one of those.

Yeah but we are not exporting the vehicles so my guess is that it's an infrantry weapon, which is more in line with what Germany is already doing. It seems that SZ has become the prime conduit for German defense ministry spin, so I expect them to overhype everything.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Pook Good Mook posted:

All foreign aid is generally this. Even food aid to famine affected areas is just buying domestic food to ship over.

This is why I am not super optimistic that German commitments will amount to much. If they don't have anything to give, they probably don't have much available to sell (to themselves and donate) either. Luckily the US is a military with a country attached.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just checked the italian website of the factory that made the ariete, line is no longer active even if they just won a massive refurb project for the ariete fleet. They still have an active pzh2000 line tho which has shipped the last units for the italian army not so long ago.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honestly one of the lessons from this should be that the West needs to pay the MIC a little bit of R&D money to throw together some 'wartime production model' versions of current designs. Stripped right down of all the fancy optional extras, 'what is the cheapest, easiest to mass-produce thing you can come up with that will do the job'.

You can't just spin up entirely new factories or long suttered production lines, but you can flip existing lines onto 'you need to make 10 tanks a day ready for export, they don't have to be good they just have to be enough'.

e: something something 'the exchange rate':

https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1516464028729679872

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Honestly one of the lessons from this should be that the West needs to pay the MIC a little bit of R&D money to throw together some 'wartime production model' versions of current designs. Stripped right down of all the fancy optional extras, 'what is the cheapest, easiest to mass-produce thing you can come up with that will do the job'.

You can't just spin up entirely new factories or long suttered production lines, but you can flip existing lines onto 'you need to make 10 tanks a day ready for export, they don't have to be good they just have to be enough'.

you're going to get the response of "the answer turns out to be that you need to fund a full-scale production line of our latest and greatest thing"

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here's a nice thread from a milhist goon that pretty much debunks "ukranians fought for the nazis in WW2" myth that pops up occasionally.

https://twitter.com/Tank_Archives/status/1516467732333608963

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

The crazy thing to me is that many European armies outside those fielding a mix of upgraded Warsaw Pact weapons with new NATO weapons (i.e. Czechia) have basically no means to domestically spool up a large defense production system.
If the forces they have on hand aren't enough they have no real way to replenish combat attrition and would be hosed given how fast modern warfare moves.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

e: something something 'the exchange rate':

https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1516464028729679872

What if you never shut down the tank lines even in peacetime, and just keep cranking out tanks and putting them into storage?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Alchenar posted:

You will end up like the lima factory which is building m1 until the heat death of the universe

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MinPres/status/1516393082148773892

...and I heard on the radio Romania is contributing but I can't find anything to support it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

The crazy thing to me is that many European armies outside those fielding a mix of upgraded Warsaw Pact weapons with new NATO weapons (i.e. Czechia) have basically no means to domestically spool up a large defense production system.
If the forces they have on hand aren't enough they have no real way to replenish combat attrition and would be hosed given how fast modern warfare moves.

until now there haven't been any threat to them for decades.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Interesting mention that Continental is resuming production in their Russian tire factory. Their statement is that keeping it shut would expose their Russian personnel to criminal liability.

Would be interesting to know if it's actually hard to divest the facilities and operations, or if it's just "hard" because obviously all the Russian buyers are offering pennies on the dollar for them. Just write it off and be done with it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

the popes toes posted:

https://twitter.com/MinPres/status/1516393082148773892

...and I heard on the radio Romania is contributing but I can't find anything to support it.

What armor can Holland provide? They don't have any tanks and I don't think they will give away their CV90's.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Check the design/field date for most of the European armies heavy armour, the ones that did indigenous design and builds stopped designing new armour straight once the wall fell, Russia became "friendly" and politicians found a way to reduce debt by cutting military spending.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

You will end up like the lima factory which is building m1 until the heat death of the universe

Oh I knew about the factory but I did not know that the US has 4000 Abrams in storage.

And I know the Abrams is the most absurdly expensive, logistics heavy tank in the world to operate but... just shove a thousand of them onto ships and give the Ukranians a tank corps.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Atreiden posted:

until now there haven't been any threat to them for decades.

I mean, there has been. Russian fascism didn't just spring into existence in 2022 or 2014.

It's just been very convenient to pretend it wasn't there. Both because NATO members have a credible collective deterrent for themselves and because a lot of people really did not want to deal with it for a variety of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DekeThornton posted:

What armor can Holland provide? They don't have any tanks and I don't think they will give away their CV90's.

If they didn't turned all their 400+ leo 1 into razor blades those are an option. I wonder how many are still left from the former european operators which upgraded to more modern models.