Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

So what you're saying is, You're full of poo poo and the movie doesn't actually go further than him rolling around in his own filth for a scene. Especially since you can't cite anything.

You wrote all of that, instead of just a timestamp or description.
You chose to aggressively respond to me saying all you care about citations with demands for citations. That only reinforces my point, in case you don't see that too. It's not worth my time to play therapist for you to understand emotion or depression when others in this thread have sufficiently understood it.

In any case calm down, this is all over a movie you aggressive weirdo.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder never has the guns as threats either. He immediately disables all but 3 of them, and the guys who do have working ones either laughably miss or shoot at the two armored parts of his suit. It's the same poo poo.

Batman is always bulletproof.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly, with the possible exception of Adam West Batman, I can't think of a Batman that hasn't been depicted with some amount of depression. Bruce weaponizing his own trauma is kind of the central gimmick of the character.

bushisms.txt posted:

So what you're saying is, You're full of poo poo and the movie doesn't actually go further than him rolling around in his own filth for a scene. Especially since you can't cite anything.

You wrote all of that, instead of just a timestamp or description.

Wat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if this guy is from cined i don't ever want to go there

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Some of you guys i swear to god..
“Huurh durr bluur bluur pfft”

That’s what some of you guys are like,just like that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I genuinely want to know what you were talking about. You started this whole thing by implying I didn't understand where they dive into Batman's depression. I asked you to elaborate, and all you've done is create vague riddles around your initial statement. So yeah I'm going to ask you to actually complete a thought. I contended that the movie does not go deeper into a psyche other than showing more symptoms and that's being aggressive to you I guess.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If y'all wanna stop pissing at each other there's a great target right here, check out this incredibly baffling slideshow article about the Thor trailer: https://gizmodo.com/marvel-thor-4-trailer-breakdown-taika-waititi-natalie-p-1848805743/slides/14

Highlights include
"Zeus having random babes around destroys his character"
"Thor working out is fatphobic"
"Olympus doesn't look Greek enough"
"That pirate lady Thor kisses is probably a non-character woman designed only to make a male character more interesting because Marvel directors suck"
"Speaking of Marvel directors, the only thing I have to say about Waititi is that he's the "Most extra bitch on the planet" because Korg has silly pants"
"I know I said dudes working out is gross, but lemme just get real specific about how hot Jane Foster is for working out real quick."

It's really, really something.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

I contended that the movie does not go deeper into a psyche other than showing more symptoms and that's being aggressive to you I guess.

bushisms.txt posted:

So what you're saying is, You're full of poo poo

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Him having a complete meltdown and scrawling on the floor is not them addressing his depression any more than showing more symptoms
Before that
🤷🏽‍♀️

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sleeps all day, spends all his time alone, doesn't seem to care about eating. Doesn't ever go out into public, doesn't care about his family business or legacy. Doesn't care about his personal appearance. Constantly retreats into his mind. Doesn't find satisfaction in anything. Is reckless to the point of potentially getting himself killed. Gets angry at his remaining family very easily. Feels like things will never get better and only get worse no matter what he does.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Sleeps all day, spends all his time alone, doesn't seem to care about eating. Doesn't ever go out into public, doesn't care about his family business or legacy. Doesn't care about his personal appearance. Constantly retreats into his mind. Doesn't find satisfaction in anything. Is reckless to the point of potentially getting himself killed. Gets angry at his remaining family very easily. Feels like things will never get better and only get worse no matter what he does.
Right but what does Batman do to address this, what does the movie do with this? This is what I was asking them. He literally ends the movie by almost killing himself again with the electric cord.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

Before that
🤷🏽‍♀️
"Before I was an aggressive weirdo about a movie tho"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

"Before I was an aggressive weirdo about a movie tho"

Again, it feels more and more like you're just stalling and don't have anything to actually say when I'm really trying to have a conversation about the themes of this movie. So I'll stop quoting you so you stop spinning in circles, I guess

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

Again, it feels more and more like you're just stalling and don't have anything to actually say when. I'm really trying to ever conversation about the themes of this movie. So I'll stop quoting you so you stop spinning in circles, I guess
I'm not stalling, I told you multiple times several posts ago it is a waste of my time to explain anything further to you and I was no longer going to do so. It's not my fault if you don't comprehend or respect established boundaries. The very fact that people ITT keep indulging your line of questioning to the exact tee you want only to move the goalpost to the point you're asking people to explain how the medium of storytelling in film works proves this is a pointless endeavor. And I will no longer quote you in kind.

But he doesn't stand over an anonymous woman in bed in a lake house, so how can we *possibly* tell how this one feels?

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Right but what does Batman do to address this, what does the movie do with this? This is what I was asking them. He literally ends the movie by almost killing himself again with the electric cord.

Yes, right after that we see Batman embrace the light and literally lead people out of the darkness. He's become a symbol of hope, and his worldview has changed. The end conversation with Selena shows that he's made a choice to improve himself and the city rather than run away, like perhaps he would have before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theironjef posted:

If y'all wanna stop pissing at each other there's a great target right here, check out this incredibly baffling slideshow article about the Thor trailer: https://gizmodo.com/marvel-thor-4-trailer-breakdown-taika-waititi-natalie-p-1848805743/slides/14

Highlights include
"That pirate lady Thor kisses is probably a non-character woman designed only to make a male character more interesting because Marvel directors suck"
"Speaking of Marvel directors, the only thing I have to say about Waititi is that he's the "Most extra bitch on the planet" because Korg has silly pants"
"I know I said dudes working out is gross, but lemme just get real specific about how hot Jane Foster is for working out real quick."

I ain't giving this a click, but thanks for pull-quoting some bullshit lmao

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

He's become a symbol of hope

I guess, I can twig with some of that, but definitely not this. The movie ends with him scaring away citizens trying to help people just to do it himself. Would have worked way better if he just got behind them and helped, a collaborative effort instead of a literal billionaire figuratively taking on the load as the single hero.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
idgi did you want bruce to be in therapy for a scene or something

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

I guess, I can twig with some of that, but definitely not this. The movie ends with him scaring away citizens trying to help people just to do it himself. Would have worked way better if he just got behind them and helped, a collaborative effort instead of a literal billionaire figuratively taking on the load as the single hero.

The movie ends with someone clinging to Batman as they're loaded up to be taken away by a helicopter because she felt safe with him.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

A collaborative effort? Like working along side first responders instead of leading the effort? As depicted later in the film, where he's won so much trust that one citizen in particular is more afraid to let go of him?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

site posted:

There's a giant juxtaposition present when you have a fully armored person supposedly talking about not caring about life but never ever presenting anything that is actually life-threatening to him. Having the movie do anything with that would have been great, instead you already knew he was going to get up. So it was just waiting for poo poo to play out instead of any tension a traditional spandex Batman brings. Nolan batman could barely handle dogs and they had him getting progressively weaker each outing.

The movie ends with someone clinging to Batman as they're loaded up to be taken away by a helicopter because she felt safe with him.
what if they think he's just an emt coming from a Halloween party lol

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 19, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh okay you're just trolling I get it now

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

There's a giant juxtaposition present when you have a fully armored person supposedly talking about not caring about life but never ever presenting anything that is actually life-threatening to him. Having the movie do anything with that would have been great, instead you already knew he was going to get up. So it was just waiting for poo poo to play out instead of any tension a traditional spandex Batman brings. Nolan batman could barely handle dogs and they had him getting progressively weaker each outing.

Guy get's knocked out, stunned, and nearly kills himself with a poorly planned hang-gliding stunt. He's as vulnerable as any action movie protagonist is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

In the middle of a fight, the camera centers directly on Batman's face, all bad guys stand around not attacking

"Why do you fight me? Do you not know I am chronically depressed following the violent murder of my parents?"

Fight continues

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't think I saw this mentioned when it happened the other day but KJ Apa and Isabel May have been cast as the titular Wonder Twins for an HBO Max movie. The movie will be the directorial debut of Adam Sztykiel who was previously a screenwriter for Black Adam and had created the sitcom Undateable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Don't think I saw this mentioned when it happened the other day but KJ Apa and Isabel May have been cast as the titular Wonder Twins for an HBO Max movie. The movie will be the directorial debut of Adam Sztykiel who was previously a screenwriter for Black Adam and had created the sitcom Undateable.

Will Andy Serkis be mo-capping Gleek?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

theironjef posted:

Highlights include

It really is something. io9 is probably the last Gizmodo group site that I still visit regularly, and their trailer breakdowns are generally enjoyable - it's a chance to geek out over being hyped about something and looking for small details. Now, I love the Marvel movies, but I can recognize some of the common complaints about them, but a trailer breakdown doesn't seem the place to rehash them. It really was so oddly nitpicky and overwhelmingly negative that it was hard to believe.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bushisms.txt posted:

I am guessing you watched this movie while thinking of ways it doesn't live up to the Snyder verse or something because you seemed to have missed like large amounts of text. Not subtext but text. Batman literally talks about how being scary and beating up people and putting fear into everyone isn't a good thing and he needs to actually help people. And he helps people, not scare them away (where the gently caress did you get him scaring people away from besides some made up movie). He literally saves people from drowning and helps with the rescue effort, things that are the exact opposite of scaring people away.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Madkal posted:

And he helps people, not scare them away (where the gently caress did you get him scaring people away from besides some made up movie). He literally saves people from drowning and helps with the rescue effort, things that are the exact opposite of scaring people away.

I'm assuming he's talking about the moment where Batman drops down to help and people are initially afraid of him because he's established himself as a figure of fear and violence, but then he reaches out and helps them, thus establishing himself as a figure of hope and safety. Which really does seem like someone who's determined not to like or understand the movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Riddle me this

Riddle me that

Who doesn’t understand movies

And is a bit of a twat?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Madkal posted:

(where the gently caress did you get him scaring people away from besides some made up movie).

2:37:54 Timestamp , he scares away three people and single-handedly moves the girder. All I said was a a collaborative effort would have played better, instead of him being the single-handed savior.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bushisms.txt posted:

2:37:54 Timestamp , he scares away three people and single-handedly moves the girder. All I said was a a collaborative effort would have played better, instead of him being the single-handed savior.

Sorry I can't time stamp for your pleasure right now but he literally has a realization that he needs to help save people. Tell me in your version of the movie does Batman also fly the helicopter he helps a survivor get into. There were people helping rescue survivors when Bruce gives his big monolog as the sun was rising. I don't know what you expected him to do. Let some people drown while he goes look for help so it would have been more collaborative. He is shown saving people (you know, like Batman is known to do over decades). You are watching a Batman movie. Who did you want him to collaborate with?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Madkal posted:

Sorry I can't time stamp for your pleasure right now but he literally has a realization that he needs to help save people. Tell me in your version of the movie does Batman also fly the helicopter he helps a survivor get into. There were people helping rescue survivors when Bruce gives his big monolog as the sun was rising. I don't know what you expected him to do. Let some people drown while he goes look for help so it would have been more collaborative. He is shown saving people (you know, like Batman is known to do over decades). You are watching a Batman movie. Who did you want him to collaborate with?
Why are you so mad? I'm just saying a billionaire vigilante who's a proud weapon of the state helping those three people with pushing the debris would have played better for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bushisms.txt posted:

Why are you so mad? I'm just saying a billionaire vigilante who's a proud weapon of the state helping those three people with pushing the debris would have played better for me.

You got a point. I shouldn't be so mad at blatant trolling.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Seeing on Twitter that Ezra Miller's been arrested again. WB will probably dump The Flash to HBOMax if this keeps up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really have to stop getting excited when I see a large unread post count on threads like these. It's almost never cool news or updates, usually it's big arguments and drama.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lobok posted:

I really have to stop getting excited when I see a large unread post count on threads like these. It's almost never cool news or updates, usually it's big arguments and drama.

I posted the Thor trailer yesterday ... :(

:v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Seeing on Twitter that Ezra Miller's been arrested again. WB will probably dump The Flash to HBOMax if this keeps up.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/04/19/ezra-miller-actor-who-played-flash-arrested-again-hawaii-island/

Yep. They really need to get help instead of being allowed to continue ruining their life because they are famous

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Seems like their options are to dump what they have, cut what they have to make it less about Flash (dunno how you do that), or put more money into it and cast a new lead and try to work with existing footage.

Though yeah, an unceremonious dump to HBO Max is most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

In this thread it's always two people going full No True Batman.