Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

k stands for Lord Kelvin who discovered the number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

then why do they use k for thousand instead of M

Just wait until you find out what "billion" used to mean until as recently as like the 1940's

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

Just wait until you find out what "billion" used to mean until as recently as like the 1940's

:eyepop:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Or in the rest of the world...

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

milliard is an extremely lame word anyway, it's no loss

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you ever have reason to refer to millions of dollars in shorthand the gulag will accept you no matter what asinine nomenclature you prefer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

If you ever have reason to refer to millions of dollars in shorthand the gulag will accept you no matter what asinine nomenclature you prefer

what if you're the gosplan number cruncher

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

also if we used milliards sooner or later due to exponential growth we'd inevitably* have to eventually measure the economy in billiards and that would just be embarrassing

*may not actually be inevitable, offers vary in your area just like the climate

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

every word also names a number. even if you don’t know it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

man this whole "numbers" racket seems like insanity from top to bottom.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

every word also names a number. even if you don’t know it

but not vice versa. bam, georg cantor in the house

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Based on how long this has kept going I’d rather get the bullet.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

but not vice versa. bam, georg cantor in the house

Biplane posted:

man this whole "numbers" racket seems like insanity from top to bottom.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shear Modulus posted:

then why do they use k for thousand instead of M

MMMMMMk :nyd:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what if you're the gosplan number cruncher

Then it wouldn't be dollars :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

numbers aren’t even real

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

numbers aren’t even real

Have you seen anyone count from 0 to 1? I surely haven't.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Professor Shark posted:

numbers aren’t even real

i would agree

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBmrSvl1MM

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

euphronius posted:

what does “310 pick rate” or whatever refer to?

It's pieces per hour. That's a loving nuts pick rate too, if you have to leg around a warehouse.

However, often picks will be bulked, so if a scanner sends you to a bin and tells you to pick 17 of something, that's 17 for your pick rate.

The warehouse I was in had a standard pick rate around 90. I could swing 120+ regularly, but it was small items for the most part. A 310 pick rate must be nothing but tiny poo poo in the warehouse.

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go buy some weed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's pieces per hour. That's a loving nuts pick rate too, if you have to leg around a warehouse.

However, often picks will be bulked, so if a scanner sends you to a bin and tells you to pick 17 of something, that's 17 for your pick rate.

The warehouse I was in had a standard pick rate around 90. I could swing 120+ regularly, but it was small items for the most part. A 310 pick rate must be nothing but tiny poo poo in the warehouse.

your lateness has been noted. keep it up!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Complications posted:

also if we used milliards sooner or later due to exponential growth we'd inevitably* have to eventually measure the economy in billiards and that would just be embarrassing

*may not actually be inevitable, offers vary in your area just like the climate

The original US currency plan was four tiers: dollars, dimes, cents, and mills. But that was stupid, so we just use dollars and cents*

*mostly

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ultra

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/484715251036717056/966073154302791690/cop1.mp4

acab

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that's super staged.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The original US currency plan was four tiers: dollars, dimes, cents, and mills. But that was stupid, so we just use dollars and cents*

*mostly

The euro has 1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent, 1 euro and 2 euro coins. 1 and 2 cent mostly arent used though, in the Netherlands at least.

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Apr 20, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ekuNNN posted:

that's super staged.

The euro has 1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent, 1 euro and 2 euro coins. 1 and 2 cent mostly arent used though, in the Netherlands at least.

I'm not talking about coins, I'm talking about units in which you express amounts. Mills and dimes were supposed to be something we used in daily parlance as much as dollars and cents. Imagine a politician saying "I think the minimum wage should be 150 dimes an hour!"

More evidence the Founding Fathers were not perfect and just making poo poo up as they went along same as everybody else

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Actually more imagine that we had a coin that we said was worth 2 and a half dimes, not 25 cents

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not talking about coins, I'm talking about units in which you express amounts. Mills and dimes were supposed to be something we used in daily parlance as much as dollars and cents. Imagine a politician saying "I think the minimum wage should be 150 dimes an hour!"

More evidence the Founding Fathers were not perfect and just making poo poo up as they went along same as everybody else

ah, I guess we used to do something like that before the euro, but only for very low amounts, like saying something costs three kwartjes ( 3x 25 cents) or six duppies (6x 10 cents), or 5 stuivers (5x 5 cents).
this was used less than just saying "60 cent" though, but still common.

https://twitter.com/MattLech/status/1516494529238609935

https://twitter.com/dunksdeux/status/1516230945262616581

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Apr 20, 2022

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the nine milliard names of number

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

capitalism am i right

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

uh who can even afford a used car now lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Palladium posted:

uh who can even afford a used car now lol

A millionaire, duh

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Palladium posted:

uh who can even afford find a used car now lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

if you strip away all the romanticism in your average history text book, the founding fathers were rich old white rapists and slavers who would rather go to war then pay their taxes

so i guess they were perfect Americans

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

if you strip away all the romanticism in your average history text book, the founding fathers were rich old white rapists and slavers who would rather go to war then pay their taxes

not true, some were mad about not getting to genocide the natives harder

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Nastier Nate posted:

You forgot "constantly drunk in a way that today would qualify as a dependency"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that the used car is just a picture of a new car that isn't as nice, like this person doesn't know what a used car even is

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

lifted 2000 Sierra pickup, $7000 firm, no lowballs I know what I got!!!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Which is actually quite a challenge in measuring and comparing pickrates between pickers to evaluate performance, because if you get to choose your pickroutes the experienced picker might be able to pick out the ones that have lots of multi-picks from a single location to boost their rate. And if you don't get to choose then randomly a picker might get a lot more of those than others making them look better while they aren't.

So then maybe you want to measure the number of picking locations a picker hits up per hour instead, except some pickroutes will require a lot more walking as pick locations happen to be (much) further apart than others, just randomly based on what is being ordered at that moment and what the warehouse management system has grouped together (which isn't random, hopefully, but might as well be for the purpose of trying to evaluate and compare pickers). And also what if one picker is picking like, 5 airpods from 1 location and another picker is picking 5 55" TVs? Surely the TVs will take more time, so it's not fair to compare them.

So you make the measurement more complicated, figure out the average walking distance between two picking locations over the last months and the average number of picks per location and the average time spent on location and try to work something up based on that. Except the actual warehouse shift manager has decided that things run smoother when he assigns people to certain sections of the warehouse for that entire shift, and all those averages are going to be different for each section and the manager running a different shift likes to do his assignments using a different set of subdivisions of the warehouse, which makes sense because people generally order different things in the evening vs the morning so you still can't compare dick.

So you get some more averages to set targets and divide picks into easy, medium and hard categories (where an airpod is easy and a TV is hard) and go through every drat SKU in your inventory regularly and look at actual pick speed to categorize the new ones and also get data dumps of all the actual pickroutes from the warehouse management system to overlay on the virtual map you made of your warehouse from which the average walking speed from each picking location to each other picking location can be measured to figure out an individualized target for each actually existing individual pickroute that was created that day and you get something that actually starts to approximate reality. You are really quite far removed from pickrate/hour at this point though.

Oh and also you've since seen in the data that there are still a bunch of outliers (for understandable, material reasons) in every single one of those averages, and experienced pickers are a lot faster than people in their first week and by the way are we sure we care primarily for speed rather than accuracy? Not that we can really measure inaccuracy because a wrong pick looks like a right pick in the system, which is the whole point anyway. We can only see which inaccuracies we catch on our own checks and who caused them, but even then what is the pickers fault and what is an understandable mistake (hint: don't put 10 different colours of airpods right next to eachother)?

So at the end you conclude that all these fancy numbers can only ever give an indication that a picker might be sub-par, and even then you should only ever judge based on a trend and never a single data point. Then you, the data nerd, end up being the one trying to impress on all the managers to only use the data as an indication, never as sole evidence that someone is bad at their job, and please always actually look at what they are doing and talk to them because they are human beings and not machines.

Or you know, you just have a pickrate/hour target and fire people if they miss it a couple times like Amazon does. Ask me about working in warehousing for a company at least less lovely than Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

I like that the used car is just a picture of a new car that isn't as nice, like this person doesn't know what a used car even is

you can wash a used car