Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
2 is the best Xenoblade tho, it’s not even close either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
6-7 person parties is moving dangerously close to "(super) boss battles can have MMO raid levels of complexity." That clip of combat sure as hell has enough sound clips and effects going off to be one.

...since the game takes place on Aionis and there's a planet in the background at one point in the trailer maybe that planet's Mira. :getin:

Ethiser posted:

If the flying music starts up during a peak dramatic moment I would lose my mind.

You're fighting some giant boss in XC3 and get it to half health, it starts to transform, the music fades out...

...Uncontrollable starts playing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We probably won't get any XBX, beyond the Nopon Archsage summoning everyone for the lulz (again). But I_Want_To_Believe.jpg

So, "You Will Know Our Names" and "You Will Recall Our Names". What's the third verb gonna be?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

You will ponder our names

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Omobono posted:

We probably won't get any XBX, beyond the Nopon Archsage summoning everyone for the lulz (again). But I_Want_To_Believe.jpg

So, "You Will Know Our Names" and "You Will Recall Our Names". What's the third verb gonna be?

You Will Fear Our Names.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Xeno games have always loved marrying their game mechanics to story themes, but letting you literally merge party members - who themselves are "representatives" from XB1 / XB2 - is maybe the most literal it's ever been. Looks rad

Reminds me how near the end of XB2 we see Klaus is split in half - again, literally - between the two worlds. I wonder prominent of a role he'll have.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Maybe if you compare it to the Wii version of 1 with the lower resolution and jankier interface, but otherwise nope :colbert:

And I played 2 first, so this ain’t nostalgia talking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pants Donkey posted:

Maybe if you compare it to the Wii version of 1 with the lower resolution and jankier interface, but otherwise nope :colbert:

And I played 2 first, so this ain’t nostalgia talking.

My issues with 1 have nothing to do with how it looks.

How it plays is where it’s straight rear end

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

The use of "tag team pairs" seems to suggest it's more of a Torna situation rather than Everyone Is Here.

I hope this is the case; don't like the idea of having 6+ separate people I can control during a fight.

Really looking forward to this. These games are probably the ultimate gaming "comfort food" for me, for some reason that I can't quite pin down. Something about the general combined look/feel (rather than anything pertaining to gameplay); there some vague aspect to the way the voices sound and the graphics look that I find more appealing than other modern 3D RPGs (like the Tales games or something).

I hope the soundtrack has a good successor to the "dramatic cutscene track" from XB1 and XB2.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree with this, even though it seems like an uncommon opinion. I like the character designs of XB1 more (and generally dislike Homura/Hikari's characters in XB2, though I liked the rest of the XB2 main party), but I found XB2 far more fun to actually play, even with its many flaws. XB1 is very...empty in comparison, and it is pretty stingy in divvying out its melodrama, while XB2 keeps things moving better.

XB3 seems like it's going to hit a good balance between the character designs of XB1 and XB2. Not quite as ridiculous as XB2, but a little more "colorful" than the ones in XB1.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 19, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I really hope it ships with dial-a-difficulty similar to an end-state XBC2+DLC. It was fantastic for accessibility and to throttle things as needed if you started to overlevel.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's probalby nothing, but I find it interesting that the 7th Party Member will keep changing throughout the game, when the 7th Party Member in the first game was such a big deal and is simply referred to in the community as 7.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

WarpDogs posted:

Xeno games have always loved marrying their game mechanics to story themes, but letting you literally merge party members - who themselves are "representatives" from XB1 / XB2 - is maybe the most literal it's ever been. Looks rad

MorningMoon posted:

It's probalby nothing, but I find it interesting that the 7th Party Member will keep changing throughout the game, when the 7th Party Member in the first game was such a big deal and is simply referred to in the community as 7.

Calling it now, we're getting Melia and Nia as permanent residents in that slot(s).

E: after the conga line of temporary members I mean

E2: I want an heart to heart where two very drunk Melia and Nia bond by commiserating over those two assholes; meanwhile the party stares in fascinated horror (think :magical:)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 19, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Omobono posted:

Calling it now, we're getting Melia and Nia as permanent residents in that slot(s).

Absolutely. I bet like 75 hours in they join, and the hud will just barely fit the 8th slot for them to be separate characters. Then in some section the party members that don't stay around will join back in so it's 7 or 8 Uroboroses vs teh final boss

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
From what I can tell we've hit a midpoint between the 8 Arts of XBC1 and the 3 of XBC2, we have about... 6?

That's assuming that the ones on the left side are the same as the ones on the right which seem more standard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope the fusion robots can themselves fuse into a bigger robot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

That's gotta be the endgame goal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The nopon should be permanent party members

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It really needs to be a Torna situation, as the thought of relying on six AI party members to get anything done is terrifying :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omobono posted:

E2: I want an heart to heart where two very drunk Melia and Nia bond by commiserating over those two assholes; meanwhile the party stares in fascinated horror (think :magical:)

I normally get vaguely annoyed when people talk about wanting indulgent things in games, but I also want something like this.

Both those situations bugged me for different reasons:
- With Melia it was just kind of a bummer because it was extremely obvious she stood zero chance from the very beginning and she was aware of this
- With Nia, she was transparently a better match for Rex - they both look and act the same age (even if they're not), while the dynamic between Rex and Pyra/Mythra feels like a 15 year old boy romancing women in their early 20s.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sharla was definitely trying to support and encourage Melia, I don't think it was evidently hopeless from the start. As far as anybody knew it was totally plausible.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

ImpAtom posted:

It'll just be a bigger Poppi.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Chronojam posted:

Sharla was definitely trying to support and encourage Melia, I don't think it was evidently hopeless from the start. As far as anybody knew it was totally plausible.

Until they popped open the hatch in Face Nemesis.
Afterwards everyone could tell where the wind was blowing. Shulk turning into the Fioramon (Fiora Fiora FIORAAAAA) was not exactly subtle.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I thought it was really cute that Sharla was on Team Melia, and I wish the dynamic of them being outsiders compared to the other four Homs got played up a bit more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wanna say Melia was there for a while before finding out Fiora was alive and thus hopeless. She shoulda caught the "girlfriend is dead" trauma rebound when she had a chance, being sympathetic of someone's situation is for bums

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I watched the trailer again on a bigger screen and the High Entia in the mask sounded exactly like Melia, I am full of so much hype. SO MUCH HYPE!!!!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

oh my god you can transform into weltall oh poo poo oh gently caress :peanut:

I hope we get Weltall-ID too. Also Nopons expanding to godzilla size like Chuchu.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I really do feel that Melia and Nia are a misdirection and will not actually be Melia and Nia because the conceit that the also-ran girls from both games are leading opposing factions of villains is too funny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I feel like it is too obviously them for it to be actually them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're Melia and Nia and that one guy is Vandam.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I really do feel that Melia and Nia are a misdirection and will not actually be Melia and Nia because the conceit that the also-ran girls from both games are leading opposing factions of villains is too funny

What makes you think they stay villains? Especially with the weird demon thing the new release date video showed?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

What makes you think they stay villains? Especially with the weird demon thing the new release date video showed?

I mean who knows Xeno games always have a female villain or two even with a larger looming threat

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Two thoughts: They are Melia and Nia, but they have whatever the Red Eye stuff is that makes them want to kill Ouroboroses, or they aren't Melia and Nia, in which case I think Mio is Nia reawakened or something, because I feel like there's got to be some connection between Mio and Nia.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gonna lol when nia and melia combine and turn into vierge

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for some enterprising poo poo poster to add this UI to the Doomguy vs Artorius video

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Someone translated the character relationship chart

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That Mysterious Giant absolutely has the Metal Face/Malos role as "Hammy, introduced early but still important later on obvious villain" role.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Medic Gunner? Hope that character isn't as worthless as Sharla.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With the class change system she doesn't have to be one at least. Though given how "classes" seem to draw from a given party member's default aesthetic, it might be more trading than free swapping.

Though everyone's in the active party anyway so it's not like it's even possible for anyone to really have the sharla issue anyway.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Interlink assignments bother me because with 3 roles (attacker/tank/support) and 2 characters in each role (Noah and Sena are attackers, Mio and Lanz are tanks, Eunie and Taion are supports) they could have either paired them with their role equivalents (Noah/Sena, Lanz/Mio/ Eunie/Taion) or had every pair be a unique combo (either Noah/Taion, Mio/Eunie and Lanz/Sena or Noah/Mio, Lanz/Taion and Eunie/Sena) but no they had the two supports pair up and then two attacker/tank pairs which just feels a bit off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

The Interlink assignments bother me because with 3 roles (attacker/tank/support) and 2 characters in each role (Noah and Sena are attackers, Mio and Lanz are tanks, Eunie and Taion are supports) they could have either paired them with their role equivalents (Noah/Sena, Lanz/Mio/ Eunie/Taion) or had every pair be a unique combo (either Noah/Taion, Mio/Eunie and Lanz/Sena or Noah/Mio, Lanz/Taion and Eunie/Sena) but no they had the two supports pair up and then two attacker/tank pairs which just feels a bit off

It makes perfect sense to be honest.

There's unlikely to be scenarios where you want two supports out so the two supports are linked. Then you have a choice of tank/attack depending on your preferences. Maybe with class changes you can switch it up more but "You are going to have a support no matter what + pick 2: Attack/Attack, Tank/Attack Attack/Tank, Tank/Tank"