Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Filing for bankruptcy also doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen. The court can decide he's doing a fraud (can't imagine what might lead them to that conclusion) and block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think he knew any trial was going to be lost, so he hilariously half assed it while his "lawyers " stalled for time. No point in spending time and money on trial thats going to be lost no matter what. I bet most of his efforts went towards hiding his money as well as he could. With all the tax weirdos and people he knows that need to hide money, I bet his mo ey is pretty well hidden.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Related, from a few pages back

https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1512179314376253446

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
He literally claimed on his show that he has at least 2.5 million in personal assets this passed week. Saying that in public while claiming that your company is bankrupt is gonna be a stretch in court

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Your whole investment could be damaged in Liberty if you let them take down this standard of freedom

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Froghammer posted:

He literally claimed on his show that he has at least 2.5 million in personal assets this passed week. Saying that in public while claiming that your company is bankrupt is gonna be a stretch in court

If that $2.5m in personal assets is mostly house and equipment he uses to record his show, it's likely that if the bankruptcy is granted those would be shielded because of Texas law.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mr. Nice! posted:

If that $2.5m in personal assets is mostly house and equipment he uses to record his show, it's likely that if the bankruptcy is granted those would be shielded because of Texas law.
I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC bankruptcy involves letting the government look at your finances and based on how well Alex has done in that department in the past, I think it's likely that this won't go as well for him as well as he'd like

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SebastianMurdoc/status/1516152322346336260?s=20&t=1wKydBETIqb3NQ222cZNew

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
He had to know that the fine was coming and tried to file bankruptcy under the wire, right? The timing is too coincidental

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm not sure how Alex expects this to go since he has literally been on camera bragging about moving assets around. Does he think that the counsel doesn't pay attention to the poo poo he says on his show?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I don’t think Alex has ever been in this much danger before so he is just spiraling and making the worst decisions. He won’t ever stop doing his radio gimmick so he will go down swinging.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mr. Nice! posted:

The studio is not at his house but yea he could try some ticky-tack poo poo to claim his house as being used for the business.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound posted:

Can't wait for Alex to come out on his very next show and say "We're not bankrupt"

As my prophecy foretold

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 19, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
He can't help himself

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Look at that wealth of stackies though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

very creamy dreamy

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

very creamy dreamy

I asked the forum moderator to change the thread title flavor text to “so dreamy creamy”. So far, nothing and I kind of don’t blame them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Friendship ended with the Year of the Mustard, the Dreamy Creamy Summer is my new best friend

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I hadn't seen a recent picture, man his head is rapidly getting increasingly spheroid.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
A thing which concerns me: this may be related to the underlying mechanics of how the holding companies worked. At some point in the past, Alex forced everything InfoWars did through a that top-level holding company, on the stipulation that the holding company were to get 70% of the profits. InfoWars proceeded to not pay that 70%, and racked up a "debt," which it then rushed to pay off as soon as the lawsuits began ramping up. This was likely how Jones was attempting to shield his assets from litigation. The "bankruptcy" might be a part of that plan, as the corporate entities mention as going to bankruptcy court aren't either the holding companies or the "free speech systems" company Mark Bankston mentioned.

Alex claimed, possibly correctly, that InfoWars was "upto its eyeballs in debt." It would only be a lie of omission to leave out exactly who he was in debt to. (Himself, if the suit allegations are to be believed.)

We need to keep in mind that, although he doesn't look like it, Alex is a multi-millionaire. Donald Trump was able to use bankruptcy proceedings to further enrich himself, and we have to assume that same elite privilege would be available to Alex. (We're only reacting "lol rip" because that is how us normal people would deal with possible bankruptcy, but Alex is far from normal.)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The new Opening Arguments is largely about how screwed they think Alex is and how his asset manipulation is obviously illegal. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, though, just caught the summary on my way to bed.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
When it came up before in the interviews the lawyer said that Infowars/Alex set up a bunch of holding companies incorrectly and that the court threw a lot of them out/bundled them up as just alter egos of Alex. So hopefully that throws a monkey wrench in plans to write things off too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I have to doubt that Alex’s dad is the one telling him how to do all this shell company bullshit.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
We don't know much about David Jones outside from the broad strokes of his history. If I were to paint a possibly-inaccurate picture of what we know, it would swing wildly between an evil arch-conservative who was deep in the Birch, or the unfortunate father who a wildly special needs child who would proceed to consume his entire life. The amount these two realities can coexist isn't nothing, but it isn't a wide margin either. Alex's ex-wife claimed it was David Jones's idea to move into the nutritional supplement business, but that was just around the onset of the divorce, so we don't know exactly how involved he got in the operations aside from it originally being his idea. She's made the claim on a few occasions that Alex's parents are the true people who can control him and his business, but it is a difficult claim to rely on considering Kelly Jones is highly motivated in what she discloses about her ex-husband opposed to what she does not. Also considering that Alex's wild antics regarding coronavirus nearly got David Jones killed and likely permanently maimed him besides, the question of "who really is controlling who" becomes more difficult to answer.

My bet on where he got the idea is probably less scandalous. He's had a number of anti-government weirdos on his show over the years who have had no few number of anti-tax ideologies empowered by tax evasion grifts. Alex likely got the idea from one of them.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Opening Arguments went over this in their breakdown this morning, but Jones' shell game with companies in order to magically save his money at the last minute is extremely obvious and probably will not work

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Froghammer posted:

Opening Arguments went over this in their breakdown this morning, but Jones' shell game with companies in order to magically save his money at the last minute is extremely obvious and probably will not work

Cliff notes: the shell company which owns the debt has allegedly been fulfilling (and continues to fulfill) all of Infowars’ merchandising while receiving no payment for seven years, to the tune of $54M owed

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm listening to the Opening Arguments episode "Law'd Awful Movies #28: Alex Jones Deposition" where they go over the deposition in 2019 and they really paint a picture that Mark Bankston was asking bad questions and did a general bad job.

Anyone aware of any follow with either them and Mark Bankston or Mark Bankston's response?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Devor posted:

Cliff notes: the shell company which owns the debt has allegedly been fulfilling (and continues to fulfill) all of Infowars’ merchandising while receiving no payment for seven years, to the tune of $54M owed

So it’s basically “debt” that he “owes” to himself?!?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm listening to the Opening Arguments episode "Law'd Awful Movies #28: Alex Jones Deposition" where they go over the deposition in 2019 and they really paint a picture that Mark Bankston was asking bad questions and did a general bad job.

Anyone aware of any follow with either them and Mark Bankston or Mark Bankston's response?

I don't know, but I think in marks first interview with kf her basically said Dan was completely correct in his evaluation of his methods and intent. And even Dan was saying you could see this was a failure except to just show that Alex talks out of his rear end.

I need to catch that ep. I downloaded it, but was hoping to find it in their episode list somehow and seem to remember giving up.

E: oh yeah, they dug in a bit more about Mark's technique. Maybe just a consequence of getting free council and Mark being to excited to own Alex, who is clearly the most skilled witness of the bunch. Wonder what they would say about the other deposer, can't remember his name.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It comes in at the end. I don't think the plaintiffs care as much about the damages as much as shaming Jones publicly. The OA guy sounds like he wouldn't be interested in triggering the defense, or realizes that approach is usually less fruitful. They brought up so many good criticisms of how Mark could have pinned down better information. I was surprised to hear that a 4hr depo that they agreed to was short by half.

I think party of Mark's approach was to do a bit of gishgallop of his own, especially since HBO cameras were present and Alex agreed to allow it to be public.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

When it came up before in the interviews the lawyer said that Infowars/Alex set up a bunch of holding companies incorrectly and that the court threw a lot of them out/bundled them up as just alter egos of Alex. So hopefully that throws a monkey wrench in plans to write things off too.

My perspective is, if Jim Bakker can come back, so can anyone.

They both an essentially unlimited resource of rubes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

It comes in at the end. I don't think the plaintiffs care as much about the damages as much as shaming Jones publicly. The OA guy sounds like he wouldn't be interested in triggering the defense, or realizes that approach is usually less fruitful. They brought up so many good criticisms of how Mark could have pinned down better information. I was surprised to hear that a 4hr depo that they agreed to was short by half.

I think party of Mark's approach was to do a bit of gishgallop of his own, especially since HBO cameras were present and Alex agreed to allow it to be public.

Can't argue with results tho. Alex absolutely got his rear end kicked, even if it was mostly an own goal

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

ILL Machina posted:

They should care about damages. Someone has to stick the knife in politically financially. Alex's type of bullshit has got to become unprofitable or it won't stop.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shageletic posted:

My perspective is, if Jim Bakker can come back, so can anyone.

They both an essentially unlimited resource of rubes

Also Peter Popoff and Jimmy Swaggart

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cat Puke posted:

They should care about damages. Someone has to stick the knife in politically financially. Alex's type of bullshit has got to become unprofitable or it won't stop.

Got bad news on this front. We're either rounding the bend or already there, hard to tell, where that wouldn't matter anymore on the larger scale. The peddling of fear and hatred has become the core ethos of the right wing.

Grifters and charlatans are absolutely using it for profit, this is an entire thread devoted to one of them. Take for granted the assumption it was possible to make it unprofitable in the face of eternal money-spigot billionaires that want to push the ideology dumping money from above and a bottomless well of idiot rubes handing up cash from below for taint-tanning and survival supplements. I'm not convinced of that assumption, but for the sake of conversation go along with it. Then what?

It won't stop anyway because that's what politics is today. That's how you get power from a rabidly hateful base with the desire to make their perceived enemies suffer over and above fixing any problems.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. At this point punishing Alex will feel good but it doesn't change anything. Mainstream Republicans now are just InfoWars with some polish. There are candidates running for senate yelling about demon worshipping pedophiles. Real candidates, not total cranks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think the distinction here is that Alex is one of the main, if not THE main, sources of these narratives. He spins this poo poo up off-air and then improvs it on-camera and then it gets syndicated out through Tucker and other idiotic mouthpieces. Since we all listen to this show we've already heard examples of how this pipeline works. If Alex takes a permanent little breaky for him due to getting financially crashed someone will fill the void, so why does that matter? Maybe it doesn't but I believe Alex's particular "gifts" made his evil work more effective, a sort of supervillain "wins above replacement," than the average bigot with a mic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. At this point punishing Alex will feel good but it doesn't change anything. Mainstream Republicans now are just InfoWars with some polish. There are candidates running for senate yelling about demon worshipping pedophiles. Real candidates, not total cranks.

Running for? poo poo, there are several of them already in office.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think the politically is just a reference to how Jones would always say they needed to murder their enemies. politically

Hysteria and reaction are, unfortunately, effective. It's sad how effective they are and how effective they've always been. If you're able to broadcast out something insane, people will catch on to it. This is the unavoidable truth that the internet has taught us. It's not even about easy answers, honestly, cause people will go out of their way and break their brains to get to these conclusions. It's about finding a narrative that makes you feel something, even if that narrative makes you out to be a lazy idiot in a damned world. Who cares if you have to give up everything you love about the world and exist only to hate people you've never met? You're a warrior in an interdimensional war and all you have to do is watch along and hate.

But Jones getting driven out of business is just... good. It's just a good thing for the world. You can't shame him, you can't make him distasteful to his audience, you can't reverse what he's done. But if you can punish him via lawsuit so badly he can't recover financially, great. So focus on that and that only.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I disagree with the Dan when he said Alex wouldn't keep going without the studio and employees and status all that stuff brings. I think all the motivation Alex needs is a warehouse full of pills. As long as he can keep that up and running he'll keep trying to get his show out however he can even if it means a podcast run out of a spare bedroom.

They mentioned Apple not letting his show on their platform which I didn't consider. Where are all the podcast chuds these days?