Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm blown away by how finished the leaked build feels (emphasis on feels because I didn't actually try and play properly).

Really good sign that it's this far along and we don't even have a release date yet. Hopefully that means there is a lot of time for polishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

is the other one gideon the ninth or are there more lesbian economics and/or necromancy books than i realized
What about importing lesbomancy from the Witcher games?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

fuf posted:

I'm blown away by how finished the leaked build feels (emphasis on feels because I didn't actually try and play properly).

Really good sign that it's this far along and we don't even have a release date yet. Hopefully that means there is a lot of time for polishing.

Yeah, though it's clear where the gaps are, plus import/export feels needlessly micro intensive and too much of a tunnel vision optimisation game. It still feels like a really loving solid alpha/beta build, but it's clearly built on solid foundations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The whole international trade system, I'm not sure on it. I liked the idea when they announced that inter-block trade wasn't automatic and that there were now markets as that seems much more historical. I thought trade deals would then become deals that both parties would agree to. But since trade is entirely unilateral, you can simply send your goods or buy your goods from anyone, it sounds like one of those things that has a fairly optimal solution but forces the player to micro. I wonder if we'll be getting any automation orders like "sell 10 iron at highest price" which would automatically sell 10 iron to whichever market would give you the most money for it and it would update every few months or so.

I've seen screenshots where people's trade page has like screens worth of ongoing manual trade deals. It seems like a lot to have to constantly monitor and fuss over. Do I still need those 5 machinery? Oh poo poo the place I was selling grain to had the price collapse now I need to find a better market to sell to. Why am I exporting ammo but also importing ammo I don't remember !?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there also probably should be a noti for when a building can upgrade to a production method without a loss in profitability but I'm gonna give paradox the benefit of the doubt and assume that's just unimplemented atm.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There has to be something in the game which is worth constantly tinkering with, otherwise you only ever make high level decisions and the game mostly plays itself. I'd expect to have good tools to figure out which trade / production decisions are likely to be good ones without the game just straight up automating it

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
So I saw someone in this thread mention that the source had leaked together with the build? Is that the actual source or is it just the layman's term for the script files as "the source code"?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Groogy posted:

So I saw someone in this thread mention that the source had leaked together with the build? Is that the actual source or is it just the layman's term for the script files as "the source code"?

People on Reddit are saying people have DIY patched out bugs themselves, so I'm pretty sure it must be the actual source code

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The whole international trade system, I'm not sure on it. I liked the idea when they announced that inter-block trade wasn't automatic and that there were now markets as that seems much more historical. I thought trade deals would then become deals that both parties would agree to. But since trade is entirely unilateral, you can simply send your goods or buy your goods from anyone, it sounds like one of those things that has a fairly optimal solution but forces the player to micro. I wonder if we'll be getting any automation orders like "sell 10 iron at highest price" which would automatically sell 10 iron to whichever market would give you the most money for it and it would update every few months or so.

I've seen screenshots where people's trade page has like screens worth of ongoing manual trade deals. It seems like a lot to have to constantly monitor and fuss over. Do I still need those 5 machinery? Oh poo poo the place I was selling grain to had the price collapse now I need to find a better market to sell to. Why am I exporting ammo but also importing ammo I don't remember !?
Well, one issue with that is all the trades are "free" and just cost you convoy capacity. I don't think there's much "buy low sell high" going on. As far as I can tell making an import trade route just drives the price down in your market because there's more supply, while driving the price up in the other market. (And I know they're not actually free- but the cost is just the maintenance on your ports generating convoys so you're already paying for the convoys if you have the capacity.)

There's one place you can mouse over where it says the predicted effect on the price in your market and their market but I can never remember where it is. There really needs to be one place where it says what effect it's going to have in your market and how many convoys it'll take, and how in demand it is in your market, and what your total convoys are, of course. I don't think that's too much to ask. If all that was available in one spot I think it'd be a simple matter of just checking in on the trade screen every now and then when you feel like your goods need their values tweaked.

Basically I don't know that it needs to be automated because I think it's something you can set and forget about until you next want to tweak the prices of goods in your market.

Stairmaster posted:

there also probably should be a noti for when a building can upgrade to a production method without a loss in profitability but I'm gonna give paradox the benefit of the doubt and assume that's just unimplemented atm.
I hope when they get their UI sorted out better that's what the green arrows on the build screen will represent- just if there's a production method available that will increase profit overall. Right now those arrows seem to show up semi-randomly when you get a new production method.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there was something about their being files in the build that would allow for a decompilation

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eiba posted:

Well, one issue with that is all the trades are "free" and just cost you convoy capacity. I don't think there's much "buy low sell high" going on. As far as I can tell making an import trade route just drives the price down in your market because there's more supply, while driving the price up in the other market. (And I know they're not actually free- but the cost is just the maintenance on your ports generating convoys so you're already paying for the convoys if you have the capacity.)

I've seen it suggested that possibly some of the behaviour people are seeing with trades is being caused by trades generally being too profitable which is probably just a "game isn't actually done" numbers thing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/gundamcel/status/1516473507512819716?s=20&t=hbegWQEwCrhOnvUFOH8Rag

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The whole international trade system, I'm not sure on it. I liked the idea when they announced that inter-block trade wasn't automatic and that there were now markets as that seems much more historical.

This is not historical at all. This era is the heyday of the independent tramp freighter. For most of the period, most naval trade was handled by individual ship captains buying things from where they are cheap and delivering them to where they are expensive, with no government or even corporate involvement at any point. It got really strange at times, for example during the opium wars the British instituted a naval blockade of China, and most of the ships they ended up having to shoot at to make them go away were British merchant ships who really didn't appreciate the government getting in the way of them making a profit.

A historical way to implement all of this would be to let all countries issue import and export tariffs/subsidies for specific goods, and letting countries build shipping industry buildings that earn money by having their fleets pick up and drop off stuff to try to equalize effective prices worldwide and take a cut from the spread.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sorry Paradox guys but I tried the leak. Played a few decades as the EIC and it was fun, the journal was a nice way to keep track of objectives. Didn't manage to avoid the Mutiny but ended up winning then somehow got independent? I think a revolution in England maybe considering the entire world sits at a low standard of living because of obviously incomplete balancing. It's such a little thing but the dynamic system for subject flags is a great touch, making a bunch of people dominions with the goofy EIC flag in the top left canton was very enjoyable.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
have folks playing the leak been sending their crash reports to pdx?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

have folks playing the leak been sending their crash reports to pdx?
It's the least they can do.

Maybe it was all intentional to make a public test without people realizing? :tinfoil:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
unlike when paradox releases the game for public testing on its release day :devil:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is not historical at all. This era is the heyday of the independent tramp freighter. For most of the period, most naval trade was handled by individual ship captains buying things from where they are cheap and delivering them to where they are expensive, with no government or even corporate involvement at any point. It got really strange at times, for example during the opium wars the British instituted a naval blockade of China, and most of the ships they ended up having to shoot at to make them go away were British merchant ships who really didn't appreciate the government getting in the way of them making a profit.

A historical way to implement all of this would be to let all countries issue import and export tariffs/subsidies for specific goods, and letting countries build shipping industry buildings that earn money by having their fleets pick up and drop off stuff to try to equalize effective prices worldwide and take a cut from the spread.
Regardless of its historicity, I think the current system is better than a free for all specifically because it gives the player agency. Having one big world market and letting you tweak it would make it a lot harder to tend to your garden and see what pulling one lever does vs another. That's always been my issue with the Victoria series.

My prior Victoria experience has always been: "My steel factory isn't profitable enough, I need to mine more coal." [Coal proceeds to disappear into the black hole that is the world market], "I have no idea if I've done anything meaningful." This leak has been a ton of fun because you can see your steel industry bounce back after making another coal mine. You need to a-historically isolate markets to give the player that kind of feedback, I feel.

And in terms of the historicity vs gameplay- This era also saw governments "building" industry by giving financial incentives to private corporations, or just giving land to the private railroads and so on. I would not want the building interface to be a bunch of abstract financial incentives. It's fine and good to just click a button and build a railroad. Likewise, the trade routes in this era may have been outside government control and actually the product of abstract financial incentives, but I see no issue with the player clicking a button to direct it, to represent all the complicated tariffs and subsidies a government would have to actually offer to make these things happen.

Good riddance to the simulations mindset when it comes to things like this. I like buttons I can click that just do the things.

Now, this trade system is far from perfect. It would probably be ideal if you could set up some rules for auto-trades. If you have x spare convoys and the price of an good is y% higher than the base price, establish the closest trade route. Or the one most effective per convoy. Or something.

I think automating it is going to be pretty hard with all the factors that already go into it. Convoys are something you probably want to manage, and different trade routes cost different numbers of convoys, in addition to the price of the goods in both markets. I kind of think the level of abstraction we have is good and they might want to lean into it- how much it costs doesn't matter, the price just goes up a set amount in one market and down a set amount in another market. Maybe you could dedicate a portion of your convoys to just "do your best guys," and let them be the tramp freighters picking up a smattering of expensive goods. But that would create a bunch of issues too, I think.

At the very least you should really be able to embargo countries as well as specific goods though. If there's a "damage relationship" button that uses influence, there might as well be an "embargo" button that does the same thing but also prevents them from establishing trade routes with you.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Uh how do you colonize? I have the tech but can’t see the option for colonizing a decentralized nation anywhere.

Poil posted:

It's the least they can do.

Maybe it was all intentional to make a public test without people realizing? :tinfoil:

I’d like to but was thinking they’d get overloaded.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Uh how do you colonize? I have the tech but can’t see the option for colonizing a decentralized nation anywhere.
You also need your laws set up to let you colonize. I never played a county that had colonization laws, so I'm not sure if it's actually in the game, but I assume the option would be under diplomatic plays, either through the map mode or directly through diplomacy.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Eiba posted:

You also need your laws set up to let you colonize. I never played a county that had colonization laws, so I'm not sure if it's actually in the game, but I assume the option would be under diplomatic plays, either through the map mode or directly through diplomacy.

I set up a colonial affairs office, too.

It doesn’t exist under diplomatic plays and the DD isn’t really clear.

You can start a colony by a diplomatic play, eg taking a treaty port but that’s for unrecognized powers. I haven’t tried that yet but I’m wondering about decentralized nations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone suggested Paradox rolling with it and just releasing an Early Access version and I would pay for it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Colonisation is under the grey menu, in the 'State Actions' tab. You need your colonial laws set to either exploitation or settlement as well as an interest declared in the area. Could also just be bugged of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone suggested Paradox rolling with it and just releasing an Early Access version and I would pay for it.

This is already the paradox model for the first couple years of a game's release.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how do you get steel going if you can't subsidize?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

:same:

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

This is already the paradox model for the first couple years of a game's release.

They should formalise it then! I’m dying to play the drat thing, but don’t want to play the leak, it just doesn’t feel right to play something they had no intention of making public.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

how do you get steel going if you can't subsidize?
Build everything at once. I was talking earlier like it wasn't possible without subsidies, but I actually managed as Japan before I opened up.

The trick is to have enough construction capacity to build your steel plant, your engine plant, and four or five railroads at the same time. Or have enough money to build the railroads first, subsidize them and lose a lot of money, while you build your steel and engines at the same time. (This assumes you can subsidize railways, which seem like they're subsidized by default no matter your economic laws.) This sounds like convoluted theory crafting, but it actually did work in the current build as Japan.

Or I'm pretty sure you could kickstart your steel with steel tools, which is probably easier but requires different tech. The moment your steel plant finishes, switch a significant portion of your tool production to use steel and create a demand that way. This would actually have the bonus effect of lowering demand for iron, making it cheaper for your new steel plant, and now that I think about it I'll probably use this method to start up steel industries in the future.

Any of these methods will lose you a lot of money and be less effective than however you were doing things before. At least to start. But you will have a steel factory that's actually producing steel and not shutting down because it can't pay its workers, and you can hold onto that ember and use it for whatever you actually want to use steel for.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 20, 2022

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Napoleon or network charts would be a super nice mod / feature to see whats happening to goods in a market.

Also something that tells you how much weapons & munitions are used when you mobilize, call up conscripts.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Zkoto posted:

They should formalise it then! I’m dying to play the drat thing, but don’t want to play the leak, it just doesn’t feel right to play something they had no intention of making public.

Yeah same here. I’ve playtested a ton of really terrible EA releases already, no skin off my nose to grab it in EA and I strongly suspect it would be better than the average.

But listed company, it would probably gently caress up their financial reporting, so unless someone gets comfortable taking a risk on what should be a flagship title, that won’t happen.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I'm not going to play the leak, the AAR was interesting though even if the option I wanted didn't win.

People seem to have progressed to shitposting on the subreddit, now they are asking paradox for a patch for the leak lol.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eiba posted:

Regardless of its historicity, I think the current system is better than a free for all specifically because it gives the player agency. Having one big world market and letting you tweak it would make it a lot harder to tend to your garden and see what pulling one lever does vs another. That's always been my issue with the Victoria series.

My prior Victoria experience has always been: "My steel factory isn't profitable enough, I need to mine more coal." [Coal proceeds to disappear into the black hole that is the world market], "I have no idea if I've done anything meaningful." This leak has been a ton of fun because you can see your steel industry bounce back after making another coal mine. You need to a-historically isolate markets to give the player that kind of feedback, I feel.

And in terms of the historicity vs gameplay- This era also saw governments "building" industry by giving financial incentives to private corporations, or just giving land to the private railroads and so on. I would not want the building interface to be a bunch of abstract financial incentives. It's fine and good to just click a button and build a railroad. Likewise, the trade routes in this era may have been outside government control and actually the product of abstract financial incentives, but I see no issue with the player clicking a button to direct it, to represent all the complicated tariffs and subsidies a government would have to actually offer to make these things happen.

Good riddance to the simulations mindset when it comes to things like this. I like buttons I can click that just do the things.

Now, this trade system is far from perfect. It would probably be ideal if you could set up some rules for auto-trades. If you have x spare convoys and the price of an good is y% higher than the base price, establish the closest trade route. Or the one most effective per convoy. Or something.

I think automating it is going to be pretty hard with all the factors that already go into it. Convoys are something you probably want to manage, and different trade routes cost different numbers of convoys, in addition to the price of the goods in both markets. I kind of think the level of abstraction we have is good and they might want to lean into it- how much it costs doesn't matter, the price just goes up a set amount in one market and down a set amount in another market. Maybe you could dedicate a portion of your convoys to just "do your best guys," and let them be the tramp freighters picking up a smattering of expensive goods. But that would create a bunch of issues too, I think.

At the very least you should really be able to embargo countries as well as specific goods though. If there's a "damage relationship" button that uses influence, there might as well be an "embargo" button that does the same thing but also prevents them from establishing trade routes with you.

I like the idea of manual trade routes but honestly it also feels as if it would be tedious to work with in the long run. I was exhausted from trying to import poo poo as Belgium after 20 years because prices kept fluctuating and I had to manually fiddle with trade routes to stop the whole card house from crashing down. A small, free trade-based economy like Belgium (import raw materials, export finished products) is almost impossible due to tedium.

I think there should be a middle ground. On the one hand, trade agreements are already in the game but merely make your mutual trade routes more attractive. I don't know if this does anything other than making the AI more likely to import poo poo to you, or whether there is a global market "behind the scenes" somehow that lets some goods import automatically into a market based on its attractiveness or what ave you.

And then there's also customs unions which function as you'd expect and merge your markets.

So my suggestions would be:
- some sort of automation of trade routes. For example, depending on trade laws, have a % of your convoys act autonomously (e.g. once per year, or once every 3 months, 0%, 25%, 50% or 75% of your convoys check which goods are most expensive in your market relative to their base value and automatically import these goods from another country, with a preference for countries where that good has a low price, low tariffs, safety of the route and/or low distance). I don't know what the downsides would be of this, it almost feels like a straight up "free trade is better" button if it automates this poo poo for you so maybe it should also have a downside like "will absolutely go bonkers over taboos and obsessions and won't import anything actually useful to your economy during these periods" (and limit it to those so you, as a player, can clearly see "my pops are obsessed with Tobacco and that's why all of my convoys are importing it).

- Put a cap on how often you can change a trade route. Trade routes would become a lot more strategic if you "locked them in", so to speak, for a year or more. Prices go up or down in the meantime? Well, maybe you shouldn't have tried to import poo poo from a country actively undergoing a civil war. It also doesn't make much sense for a country to be micromanaging trade routes every other week.

- Put a cap on how often prices fluctuate. This one is kind of hard to find a good balance: you want the player to get immediate feedback if he builds an iron mine rather than having to wait for an arbitrary date of the year to roll by when the game checks goods' prices again. But also as it stands now, prices can fluctuate wildly over the course of a few months and when they stabilize, 25% of your pops have radicalized because grain became 25% more expensive for a month and then settled on its base price again. This also makes it so that you have to re-evaluate your trade routes almost every week or even every day in-game to make sure that the tools you started importing did not become superfluous overnight.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 20, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
(some useless remark about the systems)

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 20, 2022

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I get people are excited to play but my personal values are that EA is a marketing strategy for smaller developers that might not have the funds to finish it. It doesn't have a good purpose for established products as the main draw of it is that you get two "releases" which is great from a press perspective for the company.

A larger developer doing that is just making the meme "Paradox releases unfinished stuff" into reality.

E: Good purpose for larger studios here I mean in a consumer friendly purpose. Of course there's plenty reason why a company would want your money without delivering something.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 20, 2022

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1516783746271387651

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Some of this also sounds like good candidates for stuff for tech to unlock; suppose for changing trade routes you can only change them once a year; with techs, five a year, then 10 a year; etc. For automation I think maybe that should be available outright but more efficient as you gain economic and other techs that improve their decision making and access to information.

Price fluctuations IIRC is kinda a big thing and a big problem for a lot of nations in ye olden days like the government minting new coins with less silver could lead to a lot of economic instability and so on and this was always a little volatile until like the rise of Central Banking and larger more powerful and longer reaching government bureaucracies. So that also sounds like a good candidate for techs; have some combination of techs and policies (i.e price controls) to make price swings less frequent/more averaged. (But of course price controls tended to result in widespread black markets and corruption so perhaps there should be a trade off if you try to use policies to clamp down on price swings before the techs are there?)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An official statement about the leak

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1516794072454897667

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I love how this thread immediately devolved into armchair developing of an alpha build when Wiz flat up states

quote:

We have (of course) read many of the posts community members have made since playing the leak, both positive and negative ones. Fact is, no matter how in-depth or insightful, none of them identify anything that’s new or surprising to us. Many of the concerns raised were already scheduled to be addressed in the development plan up to release. Even the most positive posts about how fun and engaging the game is even in an unbalanced, unpolished state are tainted with the knowledge that this first impression is still a let-down compared to what it ought to have been. For this reason, none of the feedback we’ve gotten as a result of the leak is really actionable or of any real use to us. It has mainly served as a hit to the team’s morale and a distraction from finishing the game, and in fact made it harder for us to act on your feedback, tainted as it is now by all the factors mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah as soon as I heard about the leak I though 'oh my god so many nerds are going to be sending them feedback on an incomplete alpha build'. How utterly pointless lmao