Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Play posted:

The difference between being unhappy with the organization and unhappy with how much the organization pays you is pretty slim. In fact the second indicates the first to a reasonable degree, since they are the ones who decide how much or little you are paid. The source of discontent also doesn't really matter, assuming your primary concern is the ultimate outcome of that dissatisfaction.

Either way the social media thing clearly indicates that a player is unhappy with some aspect of their relationship with the team, be it pay or something else or some combination of things. Which is what I originally said, and which is pretty silly to try and argue against given that it's become a de facto negotiating tactic when a player is dissatisfied in some way. Otherwise they would simply leave their social media as it is. Hope this helps.

yikes

No. You're trying to dress up a really weak dunk as some kind of insight, and it's a bit sad really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

No. You're trying to dress up a really weak dunk as some kind of insight, and it's a bit sad really.

I think arguing that the guy who is publicly feuding with his employer over his pay is actually perfectly happy with the organization is pretty weird.

I know if my employer refused to pay me what I think I’m worth I’d consider that a problem with the organization.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think arguing that the guy who is publicly feuding with his employer over his pay is actually perfectly happy with the organization is pretty weird.

I know if my employer refused to pay me what I think I’m worth I’d consider that a problem with the organization.

Who argued that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Is it worthwhile to just restate that headline as receiving death threats and racist comments from racists and trolls? They might be 49ers fans too, but let's be honest, they're one thing first and the other thing second.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And this is why I hate social media. Poor Deebo. Also scrolled and there are bootlilckers saying he should shut up and take less pay.

Nah how about you shut up.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It’s an unfortunate side effect of the salary cap in American sports than fans and teams have a competitive interest in players being underpaid, as opposed to it just being some billionaire’s money

All those people can eat a bag of glass of course. but you can’t deny that you’re happy when a player gets a big (fair) contract for another team because it makes them worse, and when a player gets signed for under market by your team that makes them better

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“I think I should be paid X and will continue to work with you if you pay me X but will otherwise not work with you” is, in fact, different from “I have major problems with your organization regardless of pay and you therefore can’t pay me enough to work with you.”

The unfollowing on social media still gets interpreted as the latter when it actually has often become a component of the former.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 17, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

King Hong Kong posted:

“I think I should be paid X and will continue to work with you if you pay me X but will otherwise not work with you” is, in fact, different from “I have major problems with your organization regardless of pay and you therefore can’t pay me enough to work with you.”

The unfollowing on social media still gets interpreted as the latter when it actually has often become a component of the former.

I don’t think it matters how much he loves everything else about the organization if he’s not willing to play for them for the money they are willing to pay him. And if he’s taken to making his grievance public then it’s pretty clear he’s not hearing what he wants in private.

Maybe it only means the chances that he’s on the 49ers next year is 95% instead of 100% but that’s still something. Players take contracts seriously and contract disagreements lead to guys getting traded every year.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think it matters how much he loves everything else about the organization if he’s not willing to play for them for the money they are willing to pay him. And if he’s taken to making his grievance public then it’s pretty clear he’s not hearing what he wants in private.

Maybe it only means the chances that he’s on the 49ers next year is 95% instead of 100% but that’s still something. Players take contracts seriously and contract disagreements lead to guys getting traded every year.

No one disagrees with any of that. It’s the notion that what is actually a negotiating tactic to get more money signifies anything more than a negotiating tactic to get more money that is mistaken. It should go without saying that if he doesn’t actually get the money he wants, he is prepared to leave. But that’s completely different than signifying he is definitely leaving because the organization could (in theory) still pay him whatever it takes to stay.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 17, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

No one disagrees with any of that. It’s the notion that what is actually a negotiating tactic to get more money signifies anything more than a negotiating tactic to get more money that is mistaken. It should go without saying that if he doesn’t actually get the money he wants, he is prepared to leave. But that’s completely different than signifying he is definitely leaving because the organization could (in theory) still pay him whatever it takes to stay.

Right, so you agree that him deleting his social media wasn’t nothing and that it was indicative of an issue that could result in him no longer being on the team, and that that would be bad. Glad you’ve come around.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Right, so you agree that him deleting his social media wasn’t nothing and that it was indicative of an issue that could result in him no longer being on the team, and that that would be bad. Glad you’ve come around.

You are disagreeing just to be contrarian. I never said it was “nothing” and literally said he could leave before you even posted about this. My point is that it isn’t what people treat it like (i.e. Play’s remark about being upset with the team itself and things getting “dramatic” and it therefore being a sign of insurmountable non-compensation discontentment), it’s a negotiation over compensation. Since there are plenty of situations in the NFL that are about other types of discontentment, it’s useful to separate them and relying on the social media thing as a signifier of what kind of issue it is doesn’t exactly hold up anymore.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 17, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

no team should be able to have the same qb for more than 3 seasons its cheating

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

no team should be able to have the same qb for more than 3 seasons its cheating

Holy poo poo this is actually a fantastic parity idea

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Greetings from Roozengaarde, where they almost made a Seahawk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Y tho

https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeFB/status/1516552229758504962?s=19

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*calls Brad Holmes’ office number in the middle of the night from a payphone in the middle of nowhere and just whispers TRADE FOR DEEBO SAMUEL ten times into the voicemail; hangs up the phone and fades into the shadows*

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm trying to figure out what Deebo is so frustrated about, because it seems like the Niners are the team best equipped to get the most out of his skillset.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Deebo isn't going anywhere but also isn't in a hurry to sign a deal because he isn't gonna be the first of all the stud wrs up for a deal to sign one (and get the least of em all)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Deebo gets traded, and out of desperation, the Niners sign TO to a 1 year deal at the vet minimum with several bonus riders tacked on.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Spoeank posted:

Deebo isn't going anywhere but also isn't in a hurry to sign a deal because he isn't gonna be the first of all the stud wrs up for a deal to sign one (and get the least of em all)

According to some of the Athletic reports, Deebo, AJ and DK all share the same agent, and part of the issue is that the agent is pushing hard to get Deebo signed first to set a floor for the other two.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1516819376225333259?s=20&t=b54xpj5Qq6Fl61KjMd7Keg

:sickos:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Finally, some good loving news.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

If he doesn’t want to be in SF because of utilization (as the latest rumor goes), then at least it’s a silver lining that a bunch of teams are rumored to be bidding for him. Always bad to lose an excellent player, but the team’s recent WR drafting hasn’t been bad.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
what I meant when I said he isn't getting traded is that he's definitely getting traded.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this is really weird, to be honest. Yeah he wants to get paid, maybe he doesn't want to play RB/WR combo so much, but he's on a team that can win a superbowl and that's a very precious thing. Does he think he's going to be way better off as a dolphin or a jet or something?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Sad, but hopefully he’ll get paid what he wants elsewhere.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Didn't seem to have a problem with utilization during the season

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

I think this is really weird, to be honest. Yeah he wants to get paid, maybe he doesn't want to play RB/WR combo so much, but he's on a team that can win a superbowl and that's a very precious thing. Does he think he's going to be way better off as a dolphin or a jet or something?

as a packer he can

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Didn't seem to have a problem with utilization during the season

Well, it seems to have been a plus for his market value and if he can get a higher salary with a less punishing role, it all works out well* for him.

*excluding perhaps the quality of the team.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I will throw up violently if he ends up a packer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What do the packers have that they could trade to the niners for deebo anyway?

Also the pack currently has only about $14M of salary cap space. Rodgers has priced himself out of the ability to have expensive offensive pieces aside from the guys he's got right now, what with his $28M cap hit for 2022.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
This sucks, Deebo was quickly becoming an all-time favorite Niner for me

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Same, just when we thought we had our number 1 WR, football gods said haha NO.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I just want deebo to get paid and be happy.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Deebo is a fun player and I'm happy he's going to get paid well, somewhere far away from the NFC West.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Has there been any mention of what his complaint actually is? Does he just not wanted to be used as an RB? Did he see Lance practice and realize he is terrible? It seems odd, his RB usage is what bumped him from good to elite last year, so if teams are going to pay him top tier WR money they will probably expect him to run occasionally, and if not then why should they offer top money? He has had one good year (and decent rookie year), seems kind of premature to lump him in with someone like Adams until he repeats it at least once.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm not convinced deebo is worth a mega contract if he is balking at doing the runs, sweeps, and behind the los scrimmage work he was doing for SF. he certainly had moments as a more traditional WR but i'm not convinced he's a davante adams or jamarr chase type receiver

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Which team will Deebo end up on? April 20th odds

49ers: -150 (bet $10 to win $16.67 total)
New York Jets: +250 (bet $10 to win $35 total)
Colts: +400 (bet $10 to win $50 total)
Packers: +550 (bet $10 to win $65 total)
Falcons: +750 (bet $10 to win $85 total)
Saints: +900 (bet $10 to win $100 total)
Titans: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Eagles: +1500 (bet $10 to win $160 total)
Commanders: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)

This is pretty concerning for a Niners' fan, market thinks there's only a 60% chance he remains a Niner, yikes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I'm not convinced deebo is worth a mega contract if he is balking at doing the runs, sweeps, and behind the los scrimmage work he was doing for SF. he certainly had moments as a more traditional WR but i'm not convinced he's a davante adams or jamarr chase type receiver

He had 1400 yards on 77 receptions which is almost exactly what Chase had. Sure, it’s his first year like that, but he doesn’t have Joe Burrow throwing to him either. In 2019 he was a rookie and fighting Kittle and Sanders for targets. In 2020 the QB situation was all hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had 1400 yards on 77 receptions which is almost exactly what Chase had. Sure, it’s his first year like that, but he doesn’t have Joe Burrow throwing to him either. In 2019 he was a rookie and fighting Kittle and Sanders for targets. In 2020 the QB situation was all hosed up.

those catches were of a completely different type. look at their average depth of catch and air yards