Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cthulu Carl posted:

We've had a rash of users bringing us PCs that have bugs crawling out of the keyboards (it's about 2-3 per month, wtf people?), Facilities has given us an "oven" (basically a collapsible insulated tent with a tiny space heater) and we've decided that any laptop that gets brought in for us to fix gets chucked in the oven for a half hour.

It gets up to 140 degrees so there's a part of me that wants to try making jerky in it.
:psypop: Where the gently caress do you work that there are multiple people bringing in insect riddled computer equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

We've had a rash of users bringing us PCs that have bugs

:bravo:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The only beer anyone at this company gives a poo poo about is the loving sour milkshake "mix juice" IPA (it's as gross as it sounds) and they want a ton of bottles of it, well beyond our capacity and because of all the loving additions I have to make it's a huge pain in the rear end to make, and due to all the fruiting and dry hop it's a pain to bottle. I don't mind having to make it sometimes but it's getting top priority, and because of that other need on the schedule are delayed because they need it now! We're only going to have three different beers for that big beer event next month, even though I could have brewed something last minute for it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

The only beer anyone at this company gives a poo poo about is the loving sour milkshake "mix juice" IPA (it's as gross as it sounds) and they want a ton of bottles of it, well beyond our capacity and because of all the loving additions I have to make it's a huge pain in the rear end to make, and due to all the fruiting and dry hop it's a pain to bottle. I don't mind having to make it sometimes but it's getting top priority, and because of that other need on the schedule are delayed because they need it now! We're only going to have three different beers for that big beer event next month, even though I could have brewed something last minute for it.

I gotta ask. I love your posts, but every time I read them, I think of Kumis, which is Mongolian sour mare's milk. It is, in my opinion, terrible. Kumis is well worth experiencing because it has a rich cultural significance though, so I'm not knocking it. One of the only ways I can imagine to make Kumis taste worse would be to somehow make a beer out of it, yet that's what I envision every time I read your post.

Like making a haggis beer, or a surstromming beer, or a musk ox nose flap beer.

Am I on the right track here?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubponticatePoster posted:

:psypop: Where the gently caress do you work that there are multiple people bringing in insect riddled computer equipment?

I thought it was an April fools prank when I first heard it, but both crazy raspberry ants and computer mites are a growing problem, and apparently you don’t realise it until there’s a major infestation

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

BigHead posted:

I gotta ask. I love your posts, but every time I read them, I think of Kumis, which is Mongolian sour mare's milk. It is, in my opinion, terrible. Kumis is well worth experiencing because it has a rich cultural significance though, so I'm not knocking it. One of the only ways I can imagine to make Kumis taste worse would be to somehow make a beer out of it, yet that's what I envision every time I read your post.

I really want to try Kumis, but it's different. The whole milkshake/smoothie/pastry beer thing is about adding lactose (milk sugar) to beer, which cannot be fermented by clean (conventional) beer yeast, so it stays behind after fermentation to add sweetness and (arguably) creaminess to the finished product. From my understanding of the bit I've read about Kumis, traditional production with mare's milk involves the high lactose content of the milk being fermented by a yeast and bacteria culture where the bacteria breaks down the sugars to the point that the milk can ferment? I think?

Edit: I think I'm wrong. It's basically like alcoholic keifer.

On a somewhat related note I saw on Instagram that the brewery I worked at a few years ago that's run by a malignant narcissist as some kind of weird vanity project released a beer with carrot juice, apple juice, bananas, and ice cream. I'm pretty sure the owner's taking more direct control of the recipes and turning them into the low-rent Japanese Omnipollo.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 20, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

The bugs are within the last year (that we've noticed :gonk:), but I started here in 2019 and there's ALWAYS been people handing over laptops that were weirdly greasy or full of hair or food crumbs.

I think part of why they did the remodel in the office was because they realized something had to be done about the unspeakable and oddly white stains throughout the floor with the call center...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cum stains in carpet turn brown, for what it's worth.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Nobody engage with this post I don't want to know.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

What about cum stains on brown carpet? Do they turn browner?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One neat trick to hide bleach stains!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BigHead posted:

Hey this post relates to my work (kind of) because I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Outer Mongolia.

I have literally never heard the word “kumis”, it was called “Airig” (Айраг) in Mongolian. Maybe Kumis is a certain variety or something?

Also yes, it is absolutely vile and is drank in immense quantities for some reason.

Edit: I see that “kumis” is the Russian word for airag, so that makes sense why that word is more popular. Also, everyone uses the word “yurt” when it should be “ger”. I will die on this linguistic hill.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 20, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I went to Mongolia for a holiday some years back. It was alright. The vodka was better.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

How long does this take?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hey this post relates to my work (kind of) because I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Outer Mongolia.

I have literally never heard the word “kumis”, it was called “Airig” (Айраг) in Mongolian. Maybe Kumis is a certain variety or something?

Also yes, it is absolutely vile and is drank in immense quantities for some reason.

Edit: I see that “kumis” is the Russian word for airag, so that makes sense why that word is more popular. Also, everyone uses the word “yurt” when it should be “ger”. I will die on this linguistic hill.

It's only airag if it's from the airag region of Mongolia, otherwise, it's just sparkling kumis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

It's booze, people will drink literally anything to get hosed up.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Stoatbringer posted:

How long does this take?

“I think you’re really going to like this next room. Wall-to-wall naturally-dyed high-pile cable. Maker’s Reserve, aged over three years.”

“Wow, you can smell the craftsmanship!”

“Exactly. You’re not going to find this in any other house in the market. Now, the adjoining bathroom is something special. Brand-new toilet, and a shower that’s never been used.”

“Wow, is it new too?”

“No.”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

It's booze, people will drink literally anything to get hosed up.

I never had airag when there wasn’t also large quantities of vodka involved. The thing about airag is that, while it is alcoholic, it’s such a low alcohol content that it is impossible to actually get drunk before you vomit up everything due to lactose overload.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I never had airag when there wasn’t also large quantities of vodka involved. The thing about airag is that, while it is alcoholic, it’s such a low alcohol content that it is impossible to actually get drunk before you vomit up everything due to lactose overload.

Is that a warning or a challenge?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I actually really want to visit Mongolia. Some day maybe.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mongolia will, to me, always be the land that caused Ewan Macgregor to have dreams where he was Obi-wan and also naked and it will forever have my respect for that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

It's p cool. You need to be ok with roughing it if you want to explore.

Beautiful place. Unfortunate rubbish problem.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

It's p cool. You need to be ok with roughing it if you want to explore.

Beautiful place. Unfortunate rubbish problem.

Yeah. I'm not as outdoorsy as I probably should be but I've heard. I dunno. Just seems interesting to me for whatever reason.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stoatbringer posted:

How long does this take?

No idea. The extent of my experience is having once been a teenager, and having discovered wayward kleenex lodged in stupid places.

Blood--at least if it's a substantial amount--eventually turns black-brown after passing through green.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's only airag if it's from the airag region of Mongolia, otherwise, it's just sparkling kumis.

I prefer daddis kumis

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah. I'm not as outdoorsy as I probably should be but I've heard. I dunno. Just seems interesting to me for whatever reason.

You should get yourself a cart and just set off

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cthulu Carl posted:

The bugs are within the last year (that we've noticed :gonk:), but I started here in 2019 and there's ALWAYS been people handing over laptops that were weirdly greasy or full of hair or food crumbs.

Those kinds of laptops are the worst - I worked on a replacement last week that legit looked like the guy had been working in a fast food kitchen next to the fryers for half the day. So, so greasy & nasty, only thing worse is animal hair, food crumbs or caked-in makeup. No idea how people can be so drat gross, but then again these idiots will gladly "accidentally" damage something to get upgraded if they feel like we're not working fast enough, then bitch when we tell their manager & give them a used machine that was worse than their main one :lol:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Blood--at least if it's a substantial amount--eventually turns black-brown after passing through green.

...how often have you observed substantial amounts of blood oxidizing?

just asking, like, for the public record

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A few months ago my company put out a survey asking how people prefer to work (in the office, from home, what kind of mix). I guess they paid attention because my boss told us during out team meeting that the company is closing a bunch of offices (apparently not laying people off, just going "We don't need this building anymore, just work from home) and for our location are doing away with the weird 'workspace profile' thing they had where job positions were being categorized by how much some executive thought they should be coming in and now it's going to be up to individual managers.

This is either going to be good for us because basically at peak, we have a couple hundred people in a building meant for like 1500, or very bad because boomer managers are going to insist their people be in everyday.

My money is on the latter.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
In some virtual training courses today and omg they just need to disable chat in these. Use your drat headset.

Presenter asks a question. A student typed in the correct answer, so we can move on. But no, Fred from Accounting has to show that he was paying attention too, so he has to type the correct answer as well. And 10 other people. This happens every time.

Yes/No questions are the worst, there are so many people in these that there's no point asking anything everything will just scroll by like twitch chat.

It's MSTeams and I can set notifications per channel, etc supposedly but for some reason that option isn't available to me.

Also management has been waffling on if positions are going to be remote or not! (We've proven that our entire operation can be remote outside of a few people, it's just leadbrained boomers holding it up and saying "well, you'll be required to be in the office 1 day a week if we go back.")

Because of this we have a mass exodus of mid-level talent going to other companies where they can be 100% remote. On top of it all they are taking FOREVER to interview replacements. So unhappy people all around here.

Management is 100% reactive to this stuff instead of proactive and takes forever to make decisions. I brought up how we should be cross-training some folks and maybe look at some succession planning NOW since people are leaving and they want to bury their head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 20, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Nobody engage with this post I don't want to know.

Probably just has a brown dog named Stains...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8KpKB3OLg

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HR sent out the "Return to office expectations and plan" email today:

- Phase 1, starting in May, come in one day per week, Tuesdays strongly encouraged in effort to spend time with colleagues
- Phase 2, starting in June, come in two days per week, Tuesday and Thursdays for same reason above

Afterward, phases to be reviewed each month. All mask and vaccination requirements will be based on local state laws.

I would not be surprised to see more than a few people walk.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Half the people in my office who had to go remote seem to have been slacking hard for the past 2 years and are going to ruin it for everyone, but what I don't understand is why don't managers know whether or not their people are doing their jobs based on results??

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilpicard posted:

what I don't understand is why don't managers know whether or not their people are doing their jobs based on results??

Because most managers are bad at their jobs or are part of the slacker half. Or both.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Because most managers are bad at their jobs or are part of the slacker half. Or both.

Because our managers think: if meet metrics on a whole who cares about poor performers? Easier to let them slack and pile work on the good folks instead.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

You should get yourself a cart and just set off

I'm sure a shopping cart would work, right?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The raunchiest thing I'm going to see all week is a CAD layer name: P-SLIT-DIVER-DIRTY

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Verdugo posted:

Because our managers think: if meet metrics on a whole who cares about poor performers? Easier to let them slack and pile work on the good folks instead.

Our metrics use the Fibonacci sequence to track effort. Because you see, if we had the option to label projects as tiny, small, medium, large, very large our Agile coaches would not have reason to schedule three hour long meetings about using the right number to track project size.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

We've gone back to the office for the last month or so. We were told to agree with our teams two days a week so not everyone is in on the same day - though I think everyone's agreed some combination of Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. It's... fine? Fortunately I'm not so busy and can plan my week sufficiently that I do all my work on those two days and the three days I spend at home I can catch up on admin or... well "catch up on admin".

If we go to 3 or more days i might have a trouble though. I've also forgotten how god drat annoying it is when you're trying to be on a call and the person next to you (or in the case of yesterday, three rows of desks away) is loudly chatting with someone sat near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

EvilHawk posted:

We've gone back to the office for the last month or so. We were told to agree with our teams two days a week so not everyone is in on the same day - though I think everyone's agreed some combination of Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. It's... fine? Fortunately I'm not so busy and can plan my week sufficiently that I do all my work on those two days and the three days I spend at home I can catch up on admin or... well "catch up on admin".

If we go to 3 or more days i might have a trouble though. I've also forgotten how god drat annoying it is when you're trying to be on a call and the person next to you (or in the case of yesterday, three rows of desks away) is loudly chatting with someone sat near them.

My job involves a lot of collaboration that can be done quickly over email when I have time throughout the day or tediously in person where I have to stop whatever I'm doing. I took away my "guest chair" at my desk so people would just either drop off files or email me but instead they just.. stand there and complain I don't have a chair.

I'm hoping they do 1-2 teams a day on tues/weds/thurs but I doubt the old folks in charge would want to give unilateral telework Mondays and Fridays because hey, that's a "four day weekend!" (even though we've been WFH and blasting numbers out of the sky since we've been doing so, despite being short handed).

And I just found out today my lead is leaving the company for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has (as explained in previous posts). So now we're down two leads and they still haven't even interviewed for the first one that became vacant a few months ago.