Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh gently caress yeah inside it looks like one of those old Time Life “Mysteries of the Universe” books. That’s like catnip to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gf and I both loved it

I think my favorite thing about it we’re the tiny little moments of levity and humor mixed in to the frantic everything else of the movie.

the one I loved the most was Curtis showing Yeoh how to hit her vape pen

It kept reminding me of the daughters line about only getting tiny moments to enjoy.

Also the rock scene of course.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I loved this movie. It is cool and good.

A24 rules. A bit surprised to see the Russo’s producing but this might be their first legit good one. At least after the Avengers movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the absolute best moments for me was rock-Evelyn donning the googly eyes and then being like “I’m gonna get ya!” It was adorable and fun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gatts posted:

I loved this movie. It is cool and good.

A24 rules. A bit surprised to see the Russo’s producing but this might be their first legit good one. At least after the Avengers movies.

From what I’ve read, the Daniels stated that the Russos were really only involved at the beginning to help them get the project kicked off. It sounds like once they got into actual screen writing and filming, the Daniels were mostly on their own. Still cool Russos helped tho.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

A Vast Pointless Gyration of Radioactive Rocks and Gas in Which You Happen to Occur is a companion book to the film with fiction and an alternate opening.

I keep going back and forth on this. Sounds cool, but $52…but also some interesting stuff and art…

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Saw the movie yesterday and was totally blown away by how good it was, absolutely lived up to the hype. And thankfully, a friend sent me this later on because it was one of my low-key favorite parts of the movie and I hope more people in the theater I was in got it because I was use laughing when Waymond did his explanation.

https://mashable.com/article/daniels-story-of-a-girl-everything-everywhere-all-at-once

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cael posted:

Saw the movie yesterday and was totally blown away by how good it was, absolutely lived up to the hype. And thankfully, a friend sent me this later on because it was one of my low-key favorite parts of the movie and I hope more people in the theater I was in got it because I was use laughing when Waymond did his explanation.

https://mashable.com/article/daniels-story-of-a-girl-everything-everywhere-all-at-once

That's so cool. I didn't catch that at all on my first viewing, time to watch it again!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im part of the like, 25% of (jaded?) people it aggressively did not click with, and it's kind of a bummer since i was really looking forward to it. Ive noticed across all my social and friend groups (even among people with generally similar tastes) there's just this faultline between the 75%~ people who were all genuinely moved by what they consider one of the best films of the year and the people who thought it was a trite mishmash of halfbaked ideas, tired multiverse/"i know kung fu" concepts and gta level jokes. I didnt strongly dislike the film myself, it often charmed me as often as not. Just didn't really hit as much with me.
It makes me want to watch The One. Nu metal Everything Everywhere All At Once? I doubt it makes a stand as brave as one in 2022 like "i accept my gay daughter, but drat she still fat"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I should also watch the one again. It’s been easily a decade since I’ve seen that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Now we’re cookin, the Randy Newman raccoon song, is pretty fun. Hopefully they release a video for it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Cael posted:

Oh my god it just gets deeper.

Re: the movie just not clicking for some people, I promised my girlfriend that I would go see it with her once I’m out of covid isolation and I’m terrified that she won’t like it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What the gently caress did I just watch? This ruled.

I haven’t seen anything this weird since Legion ended. I loved Legion.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Talorat posted:

Oh my god it just gets deeper.

Re: the movie just not clicking for some people, I promised my girlfriend that I would go see it with her once I’m out of covid isolation and I’m terrified that she won’t like it.

Wife is one of the 25% who did not enjoy it. If your gf doesn't like it just put your shoes on opposite feet and multiverse first jump into a universe where she has good taste.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never ended a relationship over a piece of media, but I’ve definitely had moments where you finish watching a great movie and you can tell they didn’t connect to it or WORSE you show them a special movie for you and they don’t like it or don’t get it and you can kind feel some of the polished shine come off them, like “oh… you don’t love cerebral whimsy that takes plenty of breaks for sick kung fu fights and slapstick? Maybe this wasn’t meant to be…”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The universe where I didn't like this movie is as far away and divergent as the hotdog hands universe.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
GF and I saw it this weekend at an 11am show; she cried so hard her eyes were still sore hours later.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
I watched it again this last Saturday, and I formally renounce all of my criticisms. It does a lot of stuff wrong, and doesn't hit the mark with every single line, but who gives a gently caress? Of course you could imagine a better way to do the things that didn't resonate with you because that's how the multiverse works. Getting disappointed in something that didn't happen, or could happen differently, is in opposition to what this movie was trying to say. This movie is a refreshing beam of light that stands out from the darkness of the last 2.5 years.

I also saw it with a mostly full theater (as compared to being alone at a noon showing the first time) and the vibe was much better.

Some dude and his group of friends absolutely lost it behind me at the "I'm sorry, it's a girl." line that the Chinese doctor says when delivering Evelyn while she is reliving her life and its choices. It felt nice to be able to laugh with a crowd again, since this was essentially my second movie outing since the lockdowns.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 19, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Splint Chesthair posted:

If IMDb trivia is to be believed, the movie was originally written for Jackie Chan.

I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and make a wild guess that he had a big problem with the apologizing for traumatizing a gay daughter since he still wants to stay on China’s good side and if my wild guess is right, it’s his loss.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

The movie also had dildo and butt plug fights. Feels like a Stefan bit.

Made sense after finding out the directors did the music video for Turn Down For What

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cacator posted:

I hope they make butt plug trophies too. I need one for, uh, reasons

I can’t think of a better Checkov’s gun in movie history

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lifepuzzler posted:

I watched it again this last Saturday, and I formally renounce all of my criticisms. It does a lot of stuff wrong, and doesn't hit the mark with every single line, but who gives a gently caress? Of course you could imagine a better way to do the things that didn't resonate with you because that's how the multiverse works. Getting disappointed in something that didn't happen, or could happen differently, is in opposition to what this movie was trying to say. This movie is a refreshing beam of light that stands out from the darkness of the last 2.5 years.

This is just dumb. Saying criticism against the movie is not in the spirit of the movie is an awful defense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and make a wild guess that he had a big problem with the apologizing for traumatizing a gay daughter since he still wants to stay on China’s good side and if my wild guess is right, it’s his loss.

He probably just didn't want to do it. His last EN film was the Foreigner. Dude used those films to back his real poo poo back in HK, and he probably just doesn't feel the need anymore

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Steve Yun posted:

Made sense after finding out the directors did the music video for Turn Down For What

That video is still so good. Going to go watch it again now.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ConfusedUs posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch? This ruled.

I haven’t seen anything this weird since Legion ended. I loved Legion.

Daniel Kwan directed at least one Legion episode. The show actually had a few really solid film markers on it, Ana Lily Amirpour did an episode too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

He probably just didn't want to do it. His last EN film was the Foreigner. Dude used those films to back his real poo poo back in HK, and he probably just doesn't feel the need anymore

It also makes sense that they just envisioned a Jackie Chan style for the role as his films were definitely a big influence on the pouch fight and such.

But does Jackie still make stuff in HK?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Taking a stab at interpretation:

The bagel represents a pessimistic nihilism. The daughter invests emotionally into her mom by introducing her girlfriend (putting everything on the bagel) and like a black hole she gets nothing back from her mom. This drives her to be nihilistic.

The googly eye represents empathy. By experiencing her multiverse lives (including one where she is gay herself) Evelyn gains understanding of people outside herself, and “sees” them better.

The eye is a black dot surrounded by white, the bagel is a white hole surrounded by black

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 20, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

checkplease posted:

It also makes sense that they just envisioned a Jackie Chan style for the role as his films were definitely a big influence on the pouch fight and such.

But does Jackie still make stuff in HK?

Checked wiki and he's got a few Chinese films coming but I'm not sure if he's still HK or if he's working on the mainland

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The dildo represents something no man would ever want up their butt cuz truly that is ~wacky~

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Taking a stab at interpretation:

The bagel represents a pessimistic nihilism. The daughter invests emotionally into her mom by introducing her girlfriend (putting everything on the bagel) and like a black hole she gets nothing back from her mom. This drives her to be nihilistic.

The googly eye represents empathy. By experiencing her multiverse lives (including one where she is gay herself) Evelyn gains understanding of people outside herself, and “sees” them better.

The eye is a black dot surrounded by white, the bagel is a white hole surrounded by black

Uhhh yeah they literally say this in the movie? It's not a hard one to figure out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BB2K posted:

Uhhh yeah they literally say this in the movie? It's not a hard one to figure out

Do they actually say it out loud? I’ll have to watch it again

Another hot take:

EEAAO is Turning Red, but from the mom’s point of view

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Has there even been a Chinese movie that featured gays

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Happy Together

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mantis42 posted:

Happy Together

Hong Kong film released 2 months before the UK returned control of Hong Kong to China.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I interpreted the bagel as a symbol of Westernization and the strongest example of division between an immigrant Chinese woman trying to learn to be American and raise an American daughter vs her American daughter, raised as native in this place with weak connection to her ancestral homeland (“your Chinese is getting worse”). I didn’t live in Asia for very long, but finding a good bagel in Japan, even Tokyo, honestly felt impossible. Like, I’m struggling to think of a food that could more completely represent a departure from eastern/asian lifestyle for a more Americanized diet/way of life, I think “Bagel” is most perfect example, in addition to the “void within a void” concept mentioned above.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 20, 2022

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

This is just dumb. Saying criticism against the movie is not in the spirit of the movie is an awful defense.

The real dumb was the misinterpretation of my post you made along the way

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey I thought the whole point of the movie was kindness wins :(

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
NPR's Code Switch podcast has an interesting episode on Everything Everywhere All At Once.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’ll have to listen that npr one.

Directors guild of America podcast also just released an episode with the Daniels. Pretty good, just goes into their process and some of their beliefs around the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Daniel Kwan directed at least one Legion episode. The show actually had a few really solid film markers on it, Ana Lily Amirpour did an episode too.

well this makes sense.