Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

keep punching joe posted:

Since the thread is talking about cats I'd just like to chip in that my cat is very dumb. Like really profoundly stupid. Brain is a little bead rattling around a tin can.

Why have you been letting it post for you all this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

"Not the sharpest claw in the paw" is how I refer to ours.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Want to keep the thread inclusive for posters like you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

However stupid KPJ's cat is, at least it will one day stand before its Lord and say "I never bought a Tesla".

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I firmly believe that NJAN99 drives a nice sensible Ford Fiesta & simply picked a Tesla for his posting persona as the current Thrantagonist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

they are very dumb and we prescribe way more motivation and anthropomorphism to them than we should.
Same is true for humans, including ourselves.

Things like the Kuleshov effect wouldn't work if we weren't also prone to checking the fridge again 5 minutes later to see if new tasty food had appeared in the interim.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There are four cats that hang around or in my garden, and every night we get a chorus of their owners trying to entice them in, and the cats are having none of it. One of them got the cone of shame and had to be kept indoors for a few weeks, and her attempts to escape got more and more determined until she finally managed it, then tried to leap through some railings and wanged the cone on it, then sat there looking confused and dismayed.

That said, they do like coming into my house for a sniff around and occasional naps, so they may just not like their owners.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I ascribe everything my guinea pigs do to sheer malice. Hateful beasts with no compassion or humanity behind their cold eyes.

Re: the Saville doc it felt very tailored for Americans who knew absolutely nothing about him. There's about two hours of very surface level footage and interviews about how popular and powerful he was, and occasionally he'll say something a bit pedo-y and some chilling music will play over the top.

There isn't even a hint that anyone could have been complicit in his crimes. The most wild assertion is that he felt safe because Thatcher and the Royals liked him.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Cats?

Behold my Dad's pair of fearsome apex predators, glued to the counter top as they whinge until a human deins to open the food pouch.

stev posted:

I ascribe everything my guinea pigs do to sheer malice. Hateful beasts with no compassion or humanity behind their cold eyes.

I ascribe everything my guinea pigs do to an apparent inability to conceive of anything more than three inches away from them or more than three seconds into the future, hence their ability to get lost in corners of their cage like a furry roomba.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I have a cat who is largely just a night guest. He discovered a couple of years ago how to take down the rabbits that breed in the hedgerows around us, and now regular cat food just doesnt really do it for him. he will occasionally have tuna and gravy, but mostly we find him sitting in the back garden munching an organic free range rabbit. Or we find ta pair of ears and a green wobbly organ that Im not sure what it is. Possibbly stomach? But he doesn't like that bit. Everything else, hair, teeth, eyes - gone.
The farmer loving loves him.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1516688131558457346

e: this is the cat I'm talking about

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was Ed Balls responsible for the jokey 'there's no money left' note?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Was Ed Balls responsible for the jokey 'there's no money left' note?

No, that was Liam Byrne

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Listening to radio 4, apparently carol vorderman is on a rampage to regulate the metaverse because someone told her to jump in the virtual grand canyon and her online black friend was online beaten up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Metaverse is self regulating by being so poo poo that no one wants to use it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My cat is weirdly intelligent such that people sometimes don't believe me about the things she does. One morning I caught her loving with my alarm clock and I'm sure she was trying to wake me up. That said she's still a tiny furry idiot who frequently falls in the recycling bin.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

I ascribe everything ... pigs do to sheer malice. Hateful beasts with no compassion or humanity behind their cold eyes.
FTFY

BalloonFish posted:

I ascribe everything ... pigs do to an apparent inability to conceive of anything more than three inches away from them or more than three seconds into the future
This also works

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Feeling a real buzz right now, guys.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Same is true for humans, including ourselves.

Things like the Kuleshov effect wouldn't work if we weren't also prone to checking the fridge again 5 minutes later to see if new tasty food had appeared in the interim.

That reminds me of one of those annual album books I had many years ago - I can't remember which tv show or journal it was an 'annual' of which had a whole page of "Charles Bronson - Rent an Expression" which was something like 30 identical images of Charles Bronson (the actor not the killer) all labelled differently.

Catte chat:

My now several years' deceased kitties (a brother and sister from the same litter) were completely different. My girlie was highly intelligent. I had to be careful what I did in front of her in terms of opening doors, windows, food etc because she would watch and learn and do. My boy was a slow learner and it would take him 2 weeks to learn something my girlie had off pat in a few minutes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

FTFY

This also works

I hope you mean cops and not actual pigs who are loving and caring animals.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My guinea pigs are also anti-cop fwiw

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
My friend with guinea pigs comes down every morning to find they've tipped over their carrot cottage and are sleeping on top of the (now flattened) cozy tunnel. Because, gently caress the police.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

I hope you mean cops and not actual pigs who are loving and caring animals.
:hmmyes: no offence intended to our porcine comrades

This guy, on the other hand...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I do object to how expensive vet care is in this country though. 2 Grand for an MRI is extortionate. Basically the same level of care and pricing with insurance that Americans have to deal with. Which makes American healthcare (and the future of UK healthcare) all the more horrifying.

Actually honestly I feel like that now. My partner has a medical issue that is causing her substantial pain. She's on the wait list for a department for 6 months and got told "oh that's a very short amount of time, the wait list is very long" it's like. Great. Pay for private or get hosed. Except you can't get private because pre-existing conditions! Yay.

But if your company pays for your private healthcare depending on how many sign up you can waive pre-existing conditions! Yay!

Except... chronic healthcare has a cap of £1k per year on that tier of private. It might go up if more people in your company sign up though!

Oh and we don't cover *massive list of conditions* but if more people in your company sign up you get more coverage!

It's so enraging and scammy I want to... arrrrgh.

I loving miss German healthcare.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 20, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Actually honestly I feel like that now. My partner has a medical issue that is causing her substantial pain. She's on the wait list for a department for 6 months and got told "oh that's a very short amount of time, the wait list is very long" it's like. Great. Pay for private or get hosed. Except you can't get private because pre-existing conditions! Yay.

I have a friend who is disabled with a degenerative, never going to get better, disease . Yet, while complaining about lack of state support for disabled people, votes tory (because people should not expect the state to do everything for them.) She doesn't seem to have registered that if we move to a private health insurance market, she won't be able to get cover - and she's still 20 years or so off whatever arrangements might apply to over 60s or whatever in the future. (Not sure what the US arrangement is but I know US friends in their 70s get some kind of medicare or something.)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

I have a cat who is largely just a night guest. He discovered a couple of years ago how to take down the rabbits that breed in the hedgerows around us, and now regular cat food just doesnt really do it for him. he will occasionally have tuna and gravy, but mostly we find him sitting in the back garden munching an organic free range rabbit. Or we find ta pair of ears and a green wobbly organ that Im not sure what it is. Possibbly stomach? But he doesn't like that bit. Everything else, hair, teeth, eyes - gone.
The farmer loving loves him.

Possibly the gallbladder. It’s full of bile and is generally Very Gross.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeherrin posted:

It’s full of bile and is generally Very Gross.
Piers Organ

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol Boris

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looke posted:

lol Boris

Sure, but any specific reason?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

sebzilla posted:

Sure, but any specific reason?

full of bile and is generally Very Gross.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

Johnson says he was surprised the government was attacked over its Rwanda policy. But David Blunkett first proposed this idea in 2004. He says Starmer is “a Corbynista in a smart Islington suit”.

Bit of a roller coaster that one.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

domhal posted:

It's also a lie because the old idea for "offshore processing" centres were still intended* to get people into Europe not just dump them in a 3rd country.

* allegedly

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

domhal posted:

But a rollercoaster that will stick. The problem with Boris raising the spectre of Corbyn against Starmer and co is that it’s extremely effective at derailing them.

The shadow cabinet is a waste of skin, need at eleven, etc etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

domhal posted:

Stealing ideas from David Blunkett is a sure fire sign that you need to retire.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that’s actually a decent plan of attack from Boris because it guarantees Starmer will drift a little more rightward in order to distance himself from Corbyn

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How would you tell?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

that’s actually a decent plan of attack from Boris because it guarantees Starmer will drift a little more rightward in order to distance himself from Corbyn

Instead of a suit he’ll start wearing the flayed skin of Mandelson’s cast-offs

Oh wait…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it would improve his polling if alistair campbell just hollowed out starmer and crawled inside of him like a hermit crab and wore the dessicated husk around for the next few years.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if it would improve his polling if alistair campbell just hollowed out starmer and crawled inside of him like a hermit crab and wore the dessicated husk around for the next few years.

I mean it probably wouldn't hurt (his polling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier posted:

How would you tell?