Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My experience in the US has been that buildings with fancy architects tend to be worse for inhabitants/users than utterly generic boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

Surreal brutalist architecture

I always had a weird feeling about brutalist architecture since i have a few buildings that follows those styles in my town, which are so painfully ugly the world would be a better place without but they are old enough to be granted historical site protection(and will be maintained as is forever).

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Palace of rituals (atheist place for wedding ceremonies):

Museum of archeology:

This one was built in 1988 so one assumes it was intended to double function as an Indiana Jones theme park.

I don't go here but I love these two

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SlowBloke posted:

I always had a weird feeling about brutalist architecture since i have a few buildings that follows those styles in my town, which are so painfully ugly the world would be a better place without but they are old enough to be granted historical site protection(and will be maintained as is forever).

Yeah brutalism is something I like to admire at a distance. It can make for some pretty pictures, but I loathed it when I actually lived around it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

szary posted:

On the other hand, this is still being built in the middle of a pristine forest, despite the fact that the people who gave the go ahead are on trial on corruption charges.

literally sorokin reality at this point

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

szary posted:

On the other hand, this is still being built in the middle of a pristine forest, despite the fact that the people who gave the go ahead are on trial on corruption charges.

Is that all new construction? Please dont tell me they have built that over some actual old castle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

Is that all new construction? Please dont tell me they have built that over some actual old castle.

:v:

In other news

https://twitter.com/janlipavsky/status/1515384825548578820

Edit: There’s a temporary Ukrainian refugee kitchen on Ģertrūdes 6, if you’re in Rīga.

https://twitter.com/girtss/status/1515965949517737984

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 20, 2022

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Not sure whether to be impressed or terrified. The ministry of transportation definitely seems so utterly bizarre, if impressive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

szary posted:

Are they building a medieval style fortress in the middle of a forest? :confused:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nenonen posted:

Now that I'm at home, it's easier to post pictures.

I rather like them. I think many similar buildings would look much better if they were properly maintained and did not fell into disrepair after the fall of communism. I found typical 90s buildings ("heyyy, early capitalism and corruption means I can build whatever, so I will build colorful eyesore with round windows etc.") more offensive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E: wrong thread

szary
Mar 12, 2014

bad_fmr posted:

It's all new, the islet it's standing on is artificial

Torrannor posted:

Are they building a medieval style fortress in the middle of a forest? :confused:

It's supposed to be a residential building :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

szary posted:

It's all new, the islet it's standing on is artificial

Oh phew, I was convinced that this is an old fort getting McMansion treatment.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

For some reason Finland has specialized in building some brutalist churches. I guess the Lutherans really see modesty as a virtue.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh phew, I was convinced that this is an old fort getting McMansion treatment.

Nope, just a regular, residential, condo castle, atop an artificial island, inside a nature preserve!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
The Yerevan Cascade is another example. The added bonus is that despite covering an entire hillside, inside it's ugly, inefficient, and claustrophobic.

The architect is up front.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Not sure whether to be impressed or terrified. The ministry of transportation definitely seems so utterly bizarre, if impressive.

Imo its a fairly clever use of landscape. Tbilisi has a problem with real estate due to being constricted by pretty steep mountains/hills. In this area you have to get used that entrance from one side of the building is from the 1st floor and like 4th from the other.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Appropriate that the MoT be an homage to the cargo container.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

bad_fmr posted:

For some reason Finland has specialized in building some brutalist churches. I guess the Lutherans really see modesty as a virtue.
Yeah several of these were known locally with nicknames like "Anti-Satan Defense Bunker" or variations of that. At least they look bit better on the inside.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

You diss my Järvenpää Church, you fluff my hog...urch? :mad: I was confirmed in a Very Brutal Finnish Church from the 1960s, so I guess I have a bit of a weird relationship to that style of church architecture. Many of them are actually really fun buildings! I love the attention paid to scale and the warmth of the organic materials used in contrast with the concrete and all the geometric effects in them and the emphasis they place on the role of a church as a social space, not just as a place of worship where normal folks come to feel inferior in front of an Angry Father and and and...

But yeah, they're also pretty brutal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Some of them would look good if not for concrete looking absolutely hideous. I am really wondering as to how the whole thing happened: "we are going to build things using the ugliest construction material known to man and do nothing to pretty it up!" strikes me as a very strange direction for an architectural movement.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Ah, the Anti-Satan bunkers indeed. The Tapiola one, second from the bottom, has this nice visual effect that if it is sunny outside the sunlight will fall on the altar from a window in the roof. It looks really neat, but from the outside it is just a concrete block. The long running joke is that when the doomsday comes the whole thing will split into two and fire large Anti-Satan missiles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The famous Reykjavik church is pretty awesome though. The Fins were just lazy I guess.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've always felt that the bare concrete and strong but thoughtful lines radiate a feeling of quiet well-being and spiritual strength that more traditional churches rarely achieve. I guess I'm the one Finn who actually loves the style. (At least when it's well maintained, concrete sure ages badly and is hell to keep looking fresh.)

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not saying the churches are ugly. Just peculiar. Here is a more artistic example of a concrete church.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bad_fmr posted:

I'm not saying the churches are ugly. Just peculiar. Here is a more artistic example of a concrete church.

I lived across the street from that for some years. Church bells should be banned, especially on weekends.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

It looks less weird in context with its sister buildings

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

I lived across the street from that for some years. Church bells should be banned, especially on weekends.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

↑ looks like a launch ramp for ↓

While your blocky Finnish churches are firing missiles at Satan, it just rumbles a bit and lifts off straight up to heaven

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Lord Awkward posted:

While your blocky Finnish churches are firing missiles at Satan, it just rumbles a bit and lifts off straight up to heaven

Very different approaches to Ragnarok.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
we never got the concrete church we deserved

not pictured: glowing red eye beams

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We have a brutalist church too

Which if it didn't had a cross on the top could have been mistaken for anything but.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Missing the ring

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Lord Awkward posted:

The little church on campus has the nick name "prayer launchpad" (Gebetsabschussrampe) for that reason.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A4tskirche_(Kiel)#/media/Datei:Kiel_-_Universitaetskirche.JPG

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Antigravitas posted:

The little church on campus has the nick name "prayer launchpad" (Gebetsabschussrampe) for that reason.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A4tskirche_(Kiel)#/media/Datei:Kiel_-_Universitaetskirche.JPG

In the 70s, several graveyard chapels in our region were built in that style and similarly nicknamed "Seelenabschussrampe" ( soul launchpad). As a kid, I took that literally and had a vivid mental picture, what it would look like when the soul was shot heavenward at the end of the funeral service. It still elicits a chuckle whenever I drive by one of those chapels. :)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Article in NYT on topic of recently exposed Russian spy in Slovakia

He Was a Penniless Donor to the Far Right. He Was Also a Russian Spy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
imma continue to use this thread for discussion of eastern "europe" for lack of a central asia thread

> In July, the president’s office announced plans to build a city called Asman – Persian for “highest heaven” – in Japarov’s native Issyk-Kul region. As conceived by architects, this city would sprawl over 4,000 hectares in the shape of a komuz, a string instrument commonly used in Central Asian folk music, house 700,000 people and serve as a model of environmental harmony.

how can you look at astana and think, hmm, yes, this is a good and cool ci--oh right, it's japarov

in actual eastern europe discussion, does anyone know of any good orthodox slavonic choral hymn recordings on music streaming platforms? i cannot seem to find any and i suddenly desire this

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
Party elections are happening today in Slovenia. God I hope JJ doesnt win. But at least we got a nice laugh out of the election debates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EBkvhtjqk&t=43s

And ofc the internet meme'd the hell out of it, but it is oh so good (Though I'm not sure why it got reposted by Zmago's actual official twitter as well but alas):

https://twitter.com/ZmagoPlemeniti/status/1517972739176419328

Translation:

"Did you also fall in there?"

"Unfortunately"

The clip is from an old Slovene movie Don't Cry, Peter (Ne Joči, Peter).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Looks like Svoboda (center-left/green/pro-eu) came out ahead in Slovenia. They still have to form a coalition, but it seems that Janša will be relegated to the sidelines at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in actual eastern europe discussion, does anyone know of any good orthodox slavonic choral hymn recordings on music streaming platforms? i cannot seem to find any and i suddenly desire this

This is my all-time favorite. The priest's name is Father Serafim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU
(Georgia)

Pavle Aksentijevic is also very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXypkrUe4GQ
(Serbia)

For a modern take, I suggest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vS2BcpKkpM
(Macedonia)