Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

thiccabod posted:

Colin Farrell's make-up was incredible. Even knowing he was the Penguin I couldn't really recognize him, if that makes any sense.

Love the Penguin. Didn't make me feel like oh he should be DeVito at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

The chase with the penguin was one of the best parts of the movie and I wouldn't want to see him cut

I agree, but that chase could have been with Falcone or something instead. I thought Penguin was actually well done and the makeup / acting were great, it just could have been saved for the next movie so we could focus on the other 2 villain plots and cut out a significant amount of runtime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imagine thinking the Batman is mid

Deranged

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can't help but thinking Penguin didn't get more screen time because Colin Farrell wasn't going to want to sit for all the makeup for as many days as it would take for him to be the primary villain of the movie.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Basebf555 posted:

The plot that needed to be cut was the Riddler plot.

Yeah when the movie was just Batman v. the mob for two hours it rocked but then they just lean into generic supervillain master plan stuff for the climax and I'm just yawning

Though I did like the scene where Batman is silently freaking out because he thinks the Riddler has guessed his identity but then it turns out no he really is just a dipshit angry incel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Colin Farrell thing purely seems to exist so people can be like "wow did you know that's colin farrell!!" Wow, makeup has come a long way! And? He does a fine job but really what's the point here.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo that was Colin Ferrell?!

Not trolling I had no clue

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Colin Farrell thing purely seems to exist so people can be like "wow did you know that's colin farrell!!" Wow, makeup has come a long way! And? He does a fine job but really what's the point here.

What's the point of anything

The Batman is not real lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

????

I just mean that specific choice to just bury a known actor in transformative makeup just seemed gimmicky, but tbf i was asking what was the point of anything watching the movie multiple times. Like there's nothing remotely interesting you can do with any of these characters rn imo. We've gotten too many Batmen and too many Jokers and too many Catwomen. Too many Spider-Men, etc. Gotta force 20 year gaps. It just feels like shuffling bodies in and out.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 19, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wolfsheim posted:

I think you mean Vengeance.

They're rebranding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTz686tTN0Y

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I really enjoyed Batman, maybe because I had written it off early and hard pass on another 3 hour superhero movie, but I came out impressed. I really liked how it leaned into the noir crime fighting brawler style Batman and him taking down the mob while a serial killer stalks Gotham’s head honchos.

I do agree tho with the above, once Riddlers master plan started being the driving part of the movie it started to lose me. The final act was definitely the weakest, but it still never felt like a 3 hour movie.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Also I love that some lame rear end streamer made a tube about as long as the movie taking down Ben Shapiro's bat-takes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This batman does some pretty loving hard IV drugs so idk if I want children to see it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ben Shapiro had takes on the Batman?Lol

I can’t even think of anything in that movie that would piss off chuds, but I guess they’ll always find something. They mad that Gordon is black or something? Hahaha

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Makeup is one thing but Colin did an amazing job changing his voice too no way anyone would know that was him. The part where they shove the pictures of the guys rat eaten face at him and he's like "whoaaa what're you showing me ovva eya!" had me busting up.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Ben Shapiro had takes on the Batman?Lol

I can’t even think of anything in that movie that would piss off chuds, but I guess they’ll always find something. They mad that Gordon is black or something? Hahaha

Batman is an SJW now.

His relationship with Cat Woman is totally legit though because he doesn't get her wet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it’s easy to argue whether or not the mob stuff or the riddler stuff could have been cut/reduced but ultimately I guess the problem isn’t the individual plots it’s that the movie basically had 2 stories that largely didn’t matter to each other. Which made it feel kind of unfocused and too long.

I’d still see the sequel in theaters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Batman mostly supports the troops and the cops (the good apples 😏) and has little sympathy for the hard choices of poor people "selling out for money". But I guess chuds will always find something to whine about. Catwoman mentioned white people exist!!!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Batman mostly supports the troops and the cops (the good apples 😏) and has little sympathy for the hard choices of poor people "selling out for money". But I guess chuds will always find something to whine about. Catwoman mentioned white people exist!!!!!

The Batman was good because he saved Catwoman from using the gun.

Or the boot.

He is the White Knight.

not being sarcastic

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm still dumbstruck by the fact that The Batman never ever considered looking into his own family's history, or know literally anything about the mob that's running "his" city.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

????

I just mean that specific choice to just bury a known actor in transformative makeup just seemed gimmicky, but tbf i was asking what was the point of anything watching the movie multiple times. Like there's nothing remotely interesting you can do with any of these characters rn imo. We've gotten too many Batmen and too many Jokers and too many Catwomen. Too many Spider-Men, etc. Gotta force 20 year gaps. It just feels like shuffling bodies in and out.

I don't actually disagree with the general idea that they should stop making superhero movies for the next decade and I was pretty ambivalent about another Batman (because what new facet can you really do) but in response they made a movie about a goth Batman who still kind of sucks at doing anything but punching people and just had the film coast on vibes and it brought me around

Basically as long as we're forced to live in this cultural hellscape where the only movies that can turn a profit are owned by Disney or WB then why not just let good actors gently caress around and set it to Nirvana, cast Daniel Day Lewis in the next one as Clayface gently caress it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

????

Farrell's performance was great though, and I would say it was definitely better because of being paired with that makeup. Like, Farrell's body language and line delivery was perfect given his appearance, I'm not sure it would've been as great if it was just Colin Farrell with a slightly longer nose or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheMopeSquad posted:

Makeup is one thing but Colin did an amazing job changing his voice too no way anyone would know that was him. The part where they shove the pictures of the guys rat eaten face at him and he's like "whoaaa what're you showing me ovva eya!" had me busting up.

That's what's great, his Penguin is just a mid-level mob boss guy who wants to do normal mob crime stuff and he's surrounded by masked psychopaths pursuing ancient vendettas. He's the most normal person in the film.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This batman does some pretty loving hard IV drugs so idk if I want children to see it.

It happens in like 3 seconds, you could blink and miss it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Field Mousepad posted:

It happens in like 3 seconds, you could blink and miss it.

That was a high stress scene, if you missed it you were pissing out the Mt Dew after a long struggle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Three on prime and im tired of hong kong cinema cops and robbers bullshit. It's the same sort of bullshit that turns me off of a lot of early Jackie Chan. It's all nauseating anglophiles armed with hollywood cliches.
I just want more poo poo like Throw Down from Johnny To, is that too much to ask? Now that was a good stylish movie that toed the line of melodrama/cheese, unlike say, the corny gangster character portrayal in Three trying to get his Nick Cage on but failing miserably at nearly every opportunity. Like poo poo I'd rather just watch Con Air or The Rock.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can we spoiler Batman talk? It’s a brand new movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BonoMan posted:

Can we spoiler Batman talk? It’s a brand new movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wow I can't believe Batman was [spoiler]Bruce Wayne[spoiler] the whole time!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not sure the movie ever explicitly confirmed this, may have to go back and rewatch

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Bomb, bomb, bomb... of course! The Riddler is hiding out at a showing of the new Fantastic Beasts movie!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

And what beast is more fantastic... than a penguin?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Now, now Batman I didn't think the movie was that bad, I'd give it maybe a 'C'.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

:mad:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Wayne family did 9/11

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The new moon knight episode, the ending was...... interesting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Field Mousepad posted:

The new moon knight episode, the ending was...... interesting.

Yeah I was actually not super-happy with the show's low-rent Mummying (I mean, it's Sondheim-style tomb raiding, I like that, but it was a pretty bland implementation of it) and PG-13 horror but the ending was exactly what I like about the comic - because it's taken from the comic. But still, nice to see. Moon Knight should be weird, metaphorical, and absurd. More arguing with reflections and weird psychodrama, please. And no more Harrow Shows Up and Drops a Truth Bomb And Departs Scenes, for chrissake.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I would rather it go full Legion crazy than the middle of the road approach they seem to be going for so far

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Watching Johnny Mnemonic (on Netflix) for the first time. What a wild effort to do a straight faced live-action anime.

Wikipedia says they were forced to both hire and create a character for Dolph Lundgren. I've never read the original story, but cutting around his parts I could see how this might have been planned as a smaller genre exercise on... I dunno, the battle between selfishness and self-sacrifice. Like a version of Total Recall where they didn't have the budget for a full "Blue Sky on Mars" adventure and instead doubled down on the narrative themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I also watched it recently and found it to be extremely lacking. Would've loved to see the original vision.

If you want a better Blade Runner/Total Recall riff with a bit of Robocop, check out Future Kick.