Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I'm not that stupid, am I? :ohdear:

Edit: Thank gently caress someone suffered so I don't have to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUlrAFB5m7k

Double edit: Holy poo poo this guy is as boring to listen to as you would expect someone who is interested in this kind of thing would be.

That guy is basically the biggest Pyanodon streamer. He was, as far as I know, the first to complete the entire modpack when they added Alien Life. It's interesting to see how there's a little sub community over this modpack, though I don't know how much that's the case for bob's or angels for example.

As crazy as the Py mods are, I do actually enjoy playing them, one of the most interesting parts of Factorio for me is having to figure out ratio's and which components go into which next ones. With Py that's basically a neverending cycle as the deeper you get the more components things have. I still need to try and rope a friend into doing a full run together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the Krastorio recommendations, folks. I'm having a good time so far, and the little differences are definitely enough to throw me off. Like having steel require more than just all the iron, or a go kart only available after I figure out a bunch of oil stuff. Speaking of which, I finally automated green circuits and the related tech, so it's time to actually do some oil stuff...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Got my K2 save to 5k SPM a while ago, then recently a friend has been asking a bunch of questions about making a megabase and it gave me the itch again.

I'm gonna try to scale up to 10k SPM. My current 5k setup just barely holds at 60UPS, now I'm obsessed with figuring out how to maximize performance so I can double everything while keeping it at 60. Gonna be a stretch to say the least. Lots of trains to double or triple in size, buffer chests need to be eliminated, bot setups need to be broken into smaller chunks....

God help me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Buy a 5800X3D just for Factorio. You know it's a wise move.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Freaksaus posted:

That guy is basically the biggest Pyanodon streamer. He was, as far as I know, the first to complete the entire modpack when they added Alien Life. It's interesting to see how there's a little sub community over this modpack, though I don't know how much that's the case for bob's or angels for example.

As crazy as the Py mods are, I do actually enjoy playing them, one of the most interesting parts of Factorio for me is having to figure out ratio's and which components go into which next ones. With Py that's basically a neverending cycle as the deeper you get the more components things have. I still need to try and rope a friend into doing a full run together.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress I watched bits of this, downloaded Pys again, and I didn’t immediately bounce off of them like I did last time. I’ve automated red science. In Pyanodons. Willingly.

Guys I need help.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

MrYenko posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress I watched bits of this, downloaded Pys again, and I didn’t immediately bounce off of them like I did last time. I’ve automated red science. In Pyanodons. Willingly.

Guys I need help.

My Py base is pure uncut spaghetti kept aloft purely by bots. I have no concept of organization or preplanning. I figure out what I need next, slap it down somewhere and dump the contents into a passive provider chest. I am almost running out of green science techs and I'm still working on new plants and animals. Been playing this save off and on since October last year and it's the best kind of factorio.

I would screenshot my base but it would cause half the people in this thread actual, physical pain to look at.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I would screenshot my base but it would cause half the people in this thread actual, physical pain to look at.

Then what are you waiting for?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My Py base is pure uncut spaghetti kept aloft purely by bots.

I suggest this mod, embrace the mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHFEZcELjFc

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My Py base is pure uncut spaghetti kept aloft purely by bots. I have no concept of organization or preplanning. I figure out what I need next, slap it down somewhere and dump the contents into a passive provider chest. I am almost running out of green science techs and I'm still working on new plants and animals. Been playing this save off and on since October last year and it's the best kind of factorio.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

xzzy posted:

I suggest this mod, embrace the mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHFEZcELjFc

I like how the author repeatedly states "it's not the best solution, but it's working" like 10 times.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Its basically the Factorio motto

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Chakan posted:

Then what are you waiting for?!

Okay here's the tour of the spaghetto:

The starting area here contains my glass production and initial coal processing, my original steam power that's still running (though the coal goes through the first processing stage to ~triple the power yield), and some miscellaneous early buildings like moss production for red science. I would explain more but I forget why half of this stuff is here.

Here is my main power production! I grow Guar beans and convert them to biomass, then electrolyze water into hydrogen (and dump the oxygen). Those are put into a powerhouse to produce combustion mixture which produces 2/3 of my power, with the rest coming from steam. The steam is mostly to burn off excess products anyway - I could shut the steam down and still keep everything powered here. My base currently pulls about 65 MW out of my 125 MW capacity. The factorissimo buildings are just more of the same once I had finished experimenting with this power supply method. Also featured are my initial seaweed farms for red science, and some of my copper and aluminum processing areas since the ore patches are way south of here.

Here's an offshoot I made as a test of a self contained wood-as-power facility pretty early on. I think it only ends up running 14 steam engines off the syngas, but it actually produces renewable coal and coke, which provides the graphite for all my smelting operations. It's also where I make those weird black tiles for flooring (Nexelit tiles they're called and give 240% movement speed!)

When I finally automated basic circuits they ended up over here by my Auog farms (poop is an essential component of circuits, it turns out). This is also the area where I am just slapping down each new plant or animal to get production started.

Rare earth processing! Very much slapped down and relying on bots to bring all the miscellanous crap. And the bots send out the products to be further refined... somewhere up in the main mess.

This is what it takes to mine and process Titanium, since it needs acetylene! Can't just slap down some miners and belt or train the ore back, oh no.

Anyway this is what the core of the factory looks like from the map. Yes I dumped things directly on top of the giant mixed ore patch in the starting zone. It was a major struggle to get to the point of bots and I was manually moving components for green science around until my floating friends took over.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Glorious spaghetti.

I gave up on Py before I got red science automated. Someday maybe I'll try again.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Tried Satisfactory out for the first time, and I immediately noticed something that game does that IMO Factorio is sorely in need of: every recipe tells you up front a simple production rate (and input consumption) per minute, in addition to actual craft speed and items per craft. It's trivial to calculate but nevertheless saved a good deal of mental overhead while setting up ratios.

Is there a mod that does this? My brief search didn't turn anything up. If there isn't I could see myself trying to make one.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm not sure if there's anything per-recipe per se, but MaxRateCalculator does it for buildings.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Peepers posted:

Tried Satisfactory out for the first time, and I immediately noticed something that game does that IMO Factorio is sorely in need of: every recipe tells you up front a simple production rate (and input consumption) per minute, in addition to actual craft speed and items per craft. It's trivial to calculate but nevertheless saved a good deal of mental overhead while setting up ratios.

Is there a mod that does this? My brief search didn't turn anything up. If there isn't I could see myself trying to make one.

Another very nice thing that Satisfactory does is let you adjust the power consumption (and therefore input/output rate) directly on the machine itself. Lets you get some really tight ratios, and you can even overclock machines once you get some upgrades.

Ultimately I prefer Factorio, with the top-down perspective (no motion sickness!) and grid-based layout that requires less toil to make a neat factory. And Satisfactory's early game power is obnoxious.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Did satisfactory ever add some kind of blueprint system? I was interested in the game way back when, but videos of people setting up hundreds of assemblers and the attending infrastructure by hand in the late game seemed exactly like the kind of tedium factorio lets you automate away.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A while ago I played mostly through satisfactory with some friends and the dev answer was "no, and we never will. Blueprints are anathema to what we want satisfactory to be." But that may have changed, though I think I would've heard about it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Which could still be possible to do without blueprints, if they were signalling a willingness to relentlessly compress builds down to a handful of machines through end game research instead of sprawling mega-factories you place one entity at a time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everything being hand built would make more sense if universal constructors didn't exist and you had to solve ever more complex assembly challenges to produce a small number of items from a realistic amount of source ingredients instead of funneling thousands of pounds of steel bars into the magic box to make a single output that can fit into the palm of your hand. But instead they said "let's have all the scale of Factorio with none of the QOL stuff"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could live without blueprints if the structures were easy to align. I don't mind spamming out a line of smelters or assemblers, it's not the best gameplay loop but you can bang out fairly large installations pretty quick. But when you're doing power plants or big conveyor stacks it completely sucks. They put in the hover mode to try and address it but it still doesn't work, logistics games really need to be built around a bird's eye view.

The decision to have a pregenerated world was a huge downer to me too.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coffee Stain relaxed their approach towards a bunch of stuff recently, and from the way it was presented I got the impression that it was a permanent shift away from ‘realism’ and toward Rule of Cool.

They also added a build mode which lets you paint rows of foundations, structural elements, stacking posts for belts and various versions of pipe, and some other stuff. Witness lines for construction got a lot better, so lining machines up with other elements, including their inputs and outputs with conveyor posts or merger/splitters was a lot less painstaking.

Ultimately the game is limited by its insistence on having fuckhuge machines compared to the player, without a whole lot of intuitive ways to navigate the required Z-dimensions until you can just turn them off with the hover pack. It’s gorgeous and I like building with it, but I’m very unlikely ever to do a really aesthetic exterior for a factory building, or do anything other than stack foundation blocks.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Satisfactory absolutely has blueprints, and the blueprint system is better than Factorio's.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Breetai posted:

Satisfactory absolutely has blueprints, and the blueprint system is better than Factorio's.

ah excellent

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Breetai posted:

I'm really trying to figure out what the joke is here and I can't. Are you sure you didn't have a concussion?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
gently caress me rigid I was thinking about Dyson sphere program, ignore my lack-of-sleep-addled ramblings while I hide in shame

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Breetai posted:

gently caress me rigid I was thinking about Dyson sphere program, ignore my lack-of-sleep-addled ramblings while I hide in shame

welp, thats disappointing but at least satisfactory has some qol improvements

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Satisfactory has the SMART mod. It's not blueprints, but it's a huge improvement to mass building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just like in Factorio, if you lack something in the base game there's probably a mod for it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trying to get back into my oooooold save from like a year or two ago. I've got bots up and running and a solid train network, but everything is so sprawling it's a nightmare picking up where I left off. I'm trying to branch out and start purple science, I ragequit halfway through because I wanted to build the science section separate from my main base, and then I realised importing all the stuff in is a pain in the rear end.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Breetai posted:

What do you find better about DSP's blueprints compared to factorio?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Taffer posted:

What do you find better about DSP's blueprints compared to factorio?

I suspect they're talking more about the copy/paste thing where you can click-drag out a line of machines, complete with inserters, and even hit tab to change the spacing on the fly (which is necessary due to terrain at times).

The actual blueprints in DSP I am not as much of a fan of because they can be really finicky and refuse to be placed if even one thing isn't perfect. They're still very functional though, so long as you've painstakingly prepared the area where they will be placed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The drag/tab and auto-moving the mouse in DSP are both amazing. To build a row of 6 buildings you can just click once and drag to place 6. After you've placed the 6th you can hit tab once to automatically group the 6 buildings into 2 groups of 3, hit tab twice to make 3 groups of 2 etc. It's really slick for rapidly slamming down production lines of stuff without needing to micro it. If you copy a building that has inserters feeding it with shift then you can do the tab dragging and it'll automatically place and move the inserters to where they need to be.

If you're placing buildings individually after you've placed 2-3 it'll start automatically moving your mouse to the correct location to place the next. For example if you're putting down power poles, if you place 3 poles that are each 5 tiles apart after you place the third pole it'll move your mouse to where a 4th pole would be if you follow the same spacing pattern so you can just rapidly click to place buildings in any spacing you like.

The actual blueprint system kinda sucks for 2 reasons. First the game takes place on a bunch of tiny planets which are spheres, so blueprints built for the equator don't work at other latitudes. The bigger issue is there isn't a 'gently caress the errors, place as much of the blueprint as you can' button so you need to pave the whole planet if you're placing large blueprints.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm not a math topology nerd but is there a way with quaternions and triangles to have a sphere of hexagons that would allow infinite perfect tiling? The issue if I remember is them having to work around how they use multiple square grids that skew as you get close to a pole

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No you need pentagons at some point

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Specifically you need 12 pentagons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_polyhedron

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are absolutely solutions out there that fix the problems with spheres (not for hexagons specifically, just "in general"), I did some curiosity reading about it a long time ago and they all seemed pretty complex. I would imagine a game developer is gonna latch onto whatever gets close enough with minimal effort.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There are better was to tile a sphere in terms of consistency. But, it works better gameplay wise if, locally, the map looks like a simple square grid, and you have little hacks to fudge the small discontinuities so that the player doesn't notice unless they get near the poles.

For building the dydon spheres, there's other grids to choose from that are more elegant. I imagine they didn't decide to do it this way for the planets because it was less fun.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

There are absolutely solutions out there that fix the problems with spheres (not for hexagons specifically, just "in general"), I did some curiosity reading about it a long time ago and they all seemed pretty complex. I would imagine a game developer is gonna latch onto whatever gets close enough with minimal effort.

Transforming coordinates anywhere on a sphere is pretty easy, even mapping a grid onto arbitrary points on a sphere. But doing that with objects of a variety of sizes that need to stay at a constant size is very, very hard. I mess with coordinate systems (including spherical ones) as a big part of my job and I have a hard time imagining a better system than what they came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ok, so I've been spaghetti-ing my way through my first Krastorio2 run, and I've been remembering how fun this game is. Also how much of a shitshow my planning is. (I just ran my main bus into a huge patch of Uranium next to a lake, so I had to turn my bus, but the bend was right on top of the Uranium, but I didn't have bots to build the turn remotely, so it was lots of running in, slapping stuff down, and fleeing to heal.)

That said, I think it's long past time for me to set up trains. Well, once I slap down some nuclear reactors so I don't have to worry about power for a long time. But I digress. I also really ought to set up the next tier of tech so it can research while I do train crap, but that would require adding the new research labs to the mall (or hand-crafting, gross), which would require more spaghetti, etc etc.

My question is - how do you guys decide on a standard train length? Last game I ran 1 engine and 3 cars on all my trains, which seemed fine? But I am vaguely aware people do 1-4? And some do 1-3-1? I very much want to do one-way tracks so I don't see a big advantage to 1-3-1.