Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have yet to find a Dungeon Seed (RF4). The wiki said they were around Sheziro (sp?) Hill, but didn't say how they drop. Enemies? Random crates?

Dirk the Average posted:

And honestly, this is the best way to approach the game. You'll eventually learn the crafting system once you get into the postgame, and learning how to break the game over your knee takes all the struggle out of the early portions of the game.

I would highly recommend doing some research on how the crafting system works after you get a bit further though; the system is incredibly deep and there's a hell of a lot you can do to optimize your gear and customize it in any way you want. For instance, I eventually ended up with a sword that I could use with the cyclone weapon art to hit the entire screen and inflict every single debuff (including instant death!) at a fairly high % chance. There's also ways to increase your resistances to all damage, boost stats into the stratosphere, stack multiple accessory effects into one accessory, etc. etc. etc.

Granted, most of the materials to do what I talked about are things that show up in the postgame, so you're pretty close to when all the options start opening up.

For when I'm ready to dive down the crafting rabbit hole... is there a good place to look at how to do it?

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough? It's been a couple in-game days since I beat the boss of the Floating Empire and I get the feeling the game isn't done. Main thing that tells me that is one of the quests you can get from Eliza is "Get 5 friendship hearts with everyone in town" and I haven't done that with Venti, due to her being unconscious for 3/4 of the game, and now she's just straight up gone but her friendship level is still there, sitting at 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Arc 3 is mostly letting time pass before it starts. It won't start for at least an in game year iirc so get married, have a child, etc. in the meantime if you want.

Just keep talking to folks. You'll know it's started when a town event called Memories pops up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have yet to find a Dungeon Seed (RF4). The wiki said they were around Sheziro (sp?) Hill, but didn't say how they drop. Enemies? Random crates?

For when I'm ready to dive down the crafting rabbit hole... is there a good place to look at how to do it?

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough?

You can only get them from a dungeon there during the first week of each season. Solve the puzzle, do a battle, get seeds.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/635388-rune-factory-4/68229810 that's an old guide but should get you going.

It's a two-parter and the first part is something you might not ever do which is keep talking to the spot where Venti was a few times. Yes it's stupid. Also no real way to be vague about it but really it shouldn't be that way. Next part you'll stumble across and makes more sense that starts the actual arc. Special fixed the second part if you're playing that so you won't have to wait for rng.

Mokinokaro posted:

Arc 3 is mostly letting time pass before it starts. It won't start for at least an in game year iirc so get married, have a child, etc. in the meantime if you want.

Just keep talking to folks. You'll know it's started when a town event called Memories pops up.

In the original it was this way because of Memories having to compete with all the other town events which is why you'd rig it to try and force the event. Now with special it's forced to be the next town event after the one prereq spoilered. There's no other limits for year/marriage/etc.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 19, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough? It's been a couple in-game days since I beat the boss of the Floating Empire and I get the feeling the game isn't done. Main thing that tells me that is one of the quests you can get from Eliza is "Get 5 friendship hearts with everyone in town" and I haven't done that with Venti, due to her being unconscious for 3/4 of the game, and now she's just straight up gone but her friendship level is still there, sitting at 4.

It's a town event called "Memories" that will start it off. It used to be RNG in the 3ds version but it should be triggering automatically in the special version. Edit: I'm late.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is the time when some Extra Orders show up. If you haven't checked that menu out, it's worth taking a look.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm on 3DS so I'll be at the mercy of the RNG... Oh well.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can do.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can find the specific details on gamefaqs but if you’re on 3ds it’s pretty easy to savescum to force the third act to start.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Playing RF5, ando I'm trying to figure out what my "general purpose" accessory will be (note that RF5 is different than RF4, apparently). My goal is to wear it in non-combat situations, so mostly farming/socializing.

I'm also thinking about trying out using the Talisman in my combat accessory, so I think I'll incorporate that.

Right now, I'm thinking about these accessories as passive abilities:

Talisman (reverses effects of paralysis/poison/fatigue/cold, which translates to HP regen, RP regen, RP consumption 1/2, Faster movespeed)
Heart Pendant (up skill gain)
Magic Ring (increase charge speed - great for tools)

Now what I'm not sure about is what my base accessory should be. Obviously I don't need something like lucky strike, but I'm not sure if I get the passive ability of the base accessory, or what base accessory would even be worth using. Any suggestions?

Edit: Made a Magic Ring with Heart Pendant, Talisman, and Handknit Scarf. It works decently well; using object X and then curing the seal afterwards is nice, but there are a couple of irritating catches. The first is that talking to Simone will result in her curing everything except fatigue, and that talking to anyone while you have a cold will have them remark on how sick you are instead of talking about whatever they would normally talk about. The second is that if you adventure with spellcasters, many of them seem to be able to cure status effects and will remove paralysis/poison ASAP.

Regardless, the super fast charging of the magic ring is fantastic for farming/fishing, and even just a setup with magic ring, heart pendant, and some other random junk is probably worth setting up relatively early on once they start becoming available. The talisman status effects are also wonderful if you can keep them on; running super fast and regenerating is wonderful as far as quality of life goes. Even just keeping fatigue/cold seems worth it for the 1/2 rp consumption and regenerating rp for one accesory slot.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 20, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snake Maze posted:

You can find the specific details on gamefaqs but if you’re on 3ds it’s pretty easy to savescum to force the third act to start.
Yeah, you want to save the day before a town event triggers (so reload the previous night once one does), then add both Dylas and Amber to your party, then save again, then go to bed until they both leave your party (Memories kicks them both out, other events will use one or neither) - this requires them being at like 5 hearts or whatever it is to stay in the party forever and not leave overnight!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If I get sick of waiting I'll try that. Dylas for sure has more than 5 hearts (I'm trying to marry the guy, after all). Unsure about Amber but she has to be close, if not.

I was trying to look up how to get marriage to trigger cuz it's not terribly easy. I went and got a Double Bed before I realized only male PCs have to have that ahead of time. :raise: I crafted an Engagement Ring ages ago, figuring I'd need it, but also nope. Only the male needs that. I've done Dylas' event where he's going on about his smile, which according to one guide I looked at is his only prereq event? I've gone on more than 3 dates with him, I think. So it is just... run around outside every day and keep talking to him to trigger his marriage event? Pray the RNG is kind?

In the meantime I'll work on growing some huge flowers so I can add Ambrosia to my stable. I feel like running around with an electric horse and a giant fairy, sure.

Also I didn't know that NPCs would stay in your party overnight if you don't dismiss them! I've been sending Dylas home before I go to bed because I figured it'd be kinda.... awkward, to go to sleep with him still there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It would have taken me weeks to actually trigger Dolces event without having her in my party to see when an event involving her triggers the next morning.

They will go and say "hey something came up, I gotta go" the moment you wake up when an event day triggers that involves the characters in your party.
You can also check the book next to your bed if theres an ongoing event atm, I had an event triggered for a long time I didnt notice being one which kept me from getting others to happen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OH poo poo. I was just skimming that RF4 crafting guide (thanks for linking that btw!) and I had a sudden realization:

I could use that "item override" trick to give Dylas back his carrot and have him do more than single digit damage! I was feeling sad because the Veggieblade I gave Horse Husband sucked even at lv 10 where I'm at in the game, but it's FUNNY to give a horse man a giant carrot to fight with.

Now I can have him use the carrot AND have him contribute to combat!

Right? That will work? I'm not going completely crazy here?

Oh, another question while I'm at it: if I have Dylas in my party constantly to try and get that "Memories" town even to trigger, does that keep his marriage even from triggering? I do still need to actually marry the guy.

And also for anybody looking to trigger that event too, I had to get Amber to lv 7 friendship before she wouldn't leave my party precisely at her curfew.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yes, that will work for a Veggieblade that doesn't suck. It's actually a fantastic endgame crafting sword because it has only one ingredient and that ingredient is trivial to get to level ten.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yup. You're now starting to realize how hilariously amazing Rune Factory's crafting system is and how much you can do with it. My only real complaint is that there's just not that much of a reason to actually engage with the crafting system until the endgame, but it's nice that it's there, and it does definitely make the game significantly more interesting.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh hey. The "Memories" event just triggered! I didn't even have to savescum. I just kinda left Dylas and Amber in my party while I went about my normal business, and it triggered. Hooray!

Now I just gotta get Dylas to put a dang ring on it already! :argh: Any advice for getting marriage events to trigger? The Gamefaqs guide for this game is conspicuously missing Dylas from its list of marriage events...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dirk the Average posted:

Yup. You're now starting to realize how hilariously amazing Rune Factory's crafting system is and how much you can do with it. My only real complaint is that there's just not that much of a reason to actually engage with the crafting system until the endgame, but it's nice that it's there, and it does definitely make the game significantly more interesting.

Hell Mode in Special makes either crafting or pet raising essential to progression. By the time you hit the third dungeon you'll get smacked down hard without them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh hey. The "Memories" event just triggered! I didn't even have to savescum. I just kinda left Dylas and Amber in my party while I went about my normal business, and it triggered. Hooray!

Now I just gotta get Dylas to put a dang ring on it already! :argh: Any advice for getting marriage events to trigger? The Gamefaqs guide for this game is conspicuously missing Dylas from its list of marriage events...
I do not have any advice! It's just kind of a pain in the rear end. It'll happen when it happens. I think you can't get it to trigger when other events are ongoing? But you can definitely trigger "having a kid" when other events are ongoing, which is weird.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Hell Mode in Special makes either crafting or pet raising essential to progression. By the time you hit the third dungeon you'll get smacked down hard without them.

I might have to try replaying 4S with that in mind at some point in the future. My first time through I definitely relied on pets for the heavy lifting though.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Am I missing something, or is the amount of lumber/stone required for later upgrades in RF5 plain ludicrous? I have the highest-level axe and getting 500 lumber together for one fridge update was several in-game hours of Ares' non-stop grunting. I tried getting monsters to clear a dragon field but the material count didn't seem to tick up as they worked. Do I need to just let them go at it for a few days or something, I'm Jonesing to upgrade the whole town but I have to maintain the illusion of having a life here.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The only real way to do it is to make sure to have millions of cash on hands at all times and wait for Heinz to sell stone/lumber. Put a stone/lumber box in the shop and then you can either reload on Fridays until he sells them or just visit each day until you see one. And then still slowly and annoyingly buy like 100k of each.

Edit: On the plus side I don't think there's any real point to the last tier of upgrades? By the time you could ever consider them you should already have the game solved.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 22, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zeron posted:

The only real way to do it is to make sure to have millions of cash on hands at all times and wait for Heinz to sell stone/lumber. Put a stone/lumber box in the shop and then you can either reload on Fridays until he sells them or just visit each day until you see one. And then still slowly and annoyingly buy like 100k of each.
also you can replace "Heinz" with "Arthur" and suddenly you're talking about RF4 too (except there you have to manually place each stack of 9 into the bin, and the costs are slightly less ludicrous but still insane, but way less bad)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the game is designed around the idea that you "finish" it in a reasonable number of hours, and then, if you want, you can keep playing with vague goals for as long as you want. The final upgrade tier is one of those vague goals for people who want to keep playing for hundreds of hours.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CK07 posted:

Am I missing something, or is the amount of lumber/stone required for later upgrades in RF5 plain ludicrous? I have the highest-level axe and getting 500 lumber together for one fridge update was several in-game hours of Ares' non-stop grunting. I tried getting monsters to clear a dragon field but the material count didn't seem to tick up as they worked. Do I need to just let them go at it for a few days or something, I'm Jonesing to upgrade the whole town but I have to maintain the illusion of having a life here.

To add on to what other people are saying, I don't think the monsters actually ever create lumber/stone. It's definitely a missed opportunity, because passive income of those resources would have been amazing. I hope a future game allows us to assign monsters to work a patch of forest or a mine or something for a trickle of resources over time.

If they don't do that, an option to let us just buy the damned upgrade with gold directly would be a less satisfying, but still quite good compromise. Hell, they could even just go back to the old SNES Harvest Moon where chopping wood just puts it directly into the shed, and then they can up the amount of lumber we get as the skill goes up (this already happens a bit in RF5 - as your lumber skill and axe quality go up, you start getting 2 bits of lumber per chop at a random chance, and this is true for mining as well).

But yeah, the reality is that you're gonna just have to buy a shitton of wood from Heinz at some point in the future. On the bright side, I think the only upgrade that's really "important" is the upgrade to Heinz's shop, because that increases his random inventory.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've stopped learning cooking recipes or something? I've got stacks of cooking bread my fridge thanks to winning them at festivals, my cooking level is 76 or so, and I don't learn recipes from them.

Does it matter which recipe bread you eat? Like, I have a stack of a bunch of different level cooking bread, will any of them give me something different, or is it just random?

I'm kinda sick of having this bread in my fridge.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also you can replace "Heinz" with "Arthur" and suddenly you're talking about RF4 too (except there you have to manually place each stack of 9 into the bin, and the costs are slightly less ludicrous but still insane, but way less bad)

Arthur sells wood? Well son of a BITCH I am an idiot. I've just been going around to the seasonal fields and chopping wood manually like a barbarian.

Although I do also need the wood-cutting levels to unlock the recipes for more farm tools so maybe it's not a complete waste.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Dirk the Average posted:

To add on to what other people are saying, I don't think the monsters actually ever create lumber/stone. It's definitely a missed opportunity, because passive income of those resources would have been amazing. I hope a future game allows us to assign monsters to work a patch of forest or a mine or something for a trickle of resources over time.

One of the many ways 5 is a side-grade of 4 is this. In 4, if you had your monsters working a field with stones and stumps in it, they would turn them into resources. In 5, they just kind of bat at it, looking like they might be doing something but not actually doing anything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I've stopped learning cooking recipes or something? I've got stacks of cooking bread my fridge thanks to winning them at festivals, my cooking level is 76 or so, and I don't learn recipes from them.

Does it matter which recipe bread you eat? Like, I have a stack of a bunch of different level cooking bread, will any of them give me something different, or is it just random?

I'm kinda sick of having this bread in my fridge.

Arthur sells wood? Well son of a BITCH I am an idiot. I've just been going around to the seasonal fields and chopping wood manually like a barbarian.

Although I do also need the wood-cutting levels to unlock the recipes for more farm tools so maybe it's not a complete waste.

If you have all the cooking benches then lv80 is the cutoff for recipes from normal bread. Bread+ is required to progress further and that's from Sharance Maze.

Arthur can sell pretty much anything, shipped or not.
Raven, the gem lady, can sell almost any non-crop related thing you've shipped including the incredibly rare ones like love crystals.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

RF5, I got a quest to place stuff in the fertilizer bin, any idea where it is...?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

RF5, I got a quest to place stuff in the fertilizer bin, any idea where it is...?

if you didn't move it, it's right next tot he lumber bin

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

if you didn't move it, it's right next tot he lumber bin

I did move so it was under the lumber bin... Cheers!

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Quick question - is this the thread for new Farming Sims in general? Thread title doesn't really say it but the OP does at the end. I've been playing the demo for Immortal Life on Steam and wanted to find a place to talk about it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'd love to hear about similar games and this thread is dead most of the time anyway.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Aight, I played the demo for about 2 hours and I thought it was fairly interesting and also fairly competent.

The crux of the game is that it's a mix of a wuxia/xianxia sort of game and something like Rune Factory. You've got your normal farming stuff, some fishing that feels like it was taken straight out of Rune Factory, mining/logging for stone/wood as per Harvest Moon tradition. You've still got romance, upgrading your tools, all of that stuff that lets me know the dev's have actually played or studied other games in the genre. All of that is fairly well done, the controls are a little on the stiff side but mostly fine.

The wuxia side is where things get weird. The story starts off with a fairly standard set of plot beats with your martial arts sect getting invaded and destroyed. From there, you work with some other disciples to begin rebuilding the sect. It's a bit of a slow start since there's some plot/setup to get out of the way first but I got to the gameplay soon enough. You don't get a charged watering can ability, instead you cast a magic spell to summon rainclouds to water your plants. By doing random poo poo, you build up cultivation which looks like it's going to allow you to gain spells which do things but the translation is a little shoddy and didn't explain that part. You also get a dungeon ala Stardew where you kill monsters for drops and mine it for ore but you also get battle spells. In the demo, I only had access to spell which shot swords at people and I had so little MP, I couldn't really cast it much. That left me with just my sword attacks and the controls don't feel great here.

To be honest, I quite liked it a lot despite my gripes. It feels very much like a wuxia game with the gameplay of a farming sim. I feel like the closest comparison might be Rune Factory 1/2? The demo's up on Steam and it's meant to be into EA on the 28th so I'll be checking it out further then.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

It's the first day of summer and I finally remembered to check out that area of Seziro (sp?) Hill where I was told I could find a Dungeon Seed! I brought with me my newly acquired giant fairy friend, Ambrosia. Second boss I have tamed!

So yeah that "puzzle" sure was a thing. :stare: I had to put the 3DS down for a minute because I was laughing too hard. This game. I love it.

And now I have the capability to complete like.... 3 more quests for Eliza! (Grow a dungeon and get sword and shield flowers, which you can find in the field dungeons.)

Progress is being made!

Also, my cooking level has now hit 80 and yeah these regular Cooking Breads aren't going to cut it anymore are they? drat it I have several stacks of these things still thanks for festival rewards. What do I do with them? Just sell them?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah other farming sims comes under +++ I guess. I definitely welcome discussion of related games in here!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Also, my cooking level has now hit 80 and yeah these regular Cooking Breads aren't going to cut it anymore are they? drat it I have several stacks of these things still thanks for festival rewards. What do I do with them? Just sell them?

If you have all the benches and the bread isn't giving anymore then yeah, just dump them. You do want to make sure to get all the recipes from regular bread first for all the crafts though as Bread+ will happily give them instead of the 80+ ones if any are available.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've had all the cooking tools for ages so I just dumped the bread. Tragic.

Oh well. Today I got the last farm expansion and got my second level 10 crop!

I guess there's also that third story arc to do... meh. I just continue to farm.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The farming can consume your soul if you really get into it. Maxing out the soil for a perfect farm with nothing but apple trees remains my favourite dumb thing about 4. But hey, the payoff means even more and faster gold crops for even more infinite money :shepicide:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Rune Prana is actually really difficult so it's good to get ready for it first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I guess there's also that third story arc to do... meh. I just continue to farm.

So, fun thing you can do with tamed monsters now that you have bosses tamed. If you feed a monster an upgrade material, it permanently affects the monster's stats. This can do things like give a monster critical hits, allow it to inflict status effects, etc. etc. It might be a fun thing to think about as you go about farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Does RF5 dip into single digit framerates a lot or is it like 30fps with consistent minor hiccups? trying to nail down what the performance complaints were