Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How large is everyone’s collection? I have around 2500 comics (not including trades/omnibuses). I collected from about 1993-2008 and then got back into the hobby in 2020.

Somewhere between 500-1,000 but I do a weed every now and again and get rid of a hundred odd. Despite being thin magazines they can take up a lot of room very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been registering my collection on the Comic Geeks app and I'm around 230, just in TPBs, HC and omnis (I've been collecting since 2010). I've yet to do the same for single issues, but I don't have that many of them. I prefer trades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm down to a couple short boxes of floppies and half a wall of trades/omnis. I need to get rid of the rest of the floppies.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got a third of a short box in single issue garbage, but it's way offset by all the manga, collected trades of euro comics, and trades of newspaper comics. I don't know how much I have exactly, but I can tell you the omnibus edition of Inuyasha takes up a good three feet of shelf space, and nostalgia makes me keep it because I know I will re read it every so often.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I've got several thousand floppies in boxes. When I lost my job in 2009 I stopped my weekly run to the comics shop to pick up the new issues, and I never started again even after I had income coming in. I only buy trades now, and have about a bookcase and a half worth.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How large is everyone’s collection? I have around 2500 comics (not including trades/omnibuses). I collected from about 1993-2008 and then got back into the hobby in 2020.

I think I was about that total before ComicBookDB shut down and I lost my database. That was a mix of single issues and trades, so doesn't show the total page quantity. Been buying a lot of things I have mild interest in on comiXology before Amazon ruining it, so I get less per week at this point.

I want to purge it, but I have room, so I'm not really spending my time doing that work.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Uthor posted:

I want to purge it, but I have room, so I'm not really spending my time doing that work.

I have in tiny bits, but since I've posted I've been mentally inventorying everything I still have and :gonk:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When it comes to weeding/purging I try figure out if there are comics I will ever want to re-read again, or even enjoyed the first time around. During the pandemic I did re-read a lot of my runs to see if I still enjoyed them and wanted to keep them or not. I also made more of an effort to replace some single runs with trades as I am more likely to re-read a trade than multiple single issues.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Im slowly going through everything and purging and hopefully selling anything I don’t want. My criteria for keeping a book is it has be either a series I collect, a story I enjoy and will re-read, or have sentimental value.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Around 80 short boxes, and hundreds of graphic novels and TPBs. Too many, basically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've moved from apartment to apartment to apartment and so on so I've gotten rid of nearly every floppy comic issue over the years because of having to move and store longboxes. I just have trades now in a bookshelf but mostly buy or subscribe digitally.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I got rid of my collection of single issues two years ago and have only bought singles digitally since. I did an exact count of my hardcover collection and it currently consists of 176 books, plus a few dozen volumes of manga. There are a couple of books in there that I really need to get around to reading. :sweatdrop:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JordanKai posted:

I got rid of my collection of single issues two years ago and have only bought singles digitally since. I did an exact count of my hardcover collection and it currently consists of 176 books, plus a few dozen volumes of manga. There are a couple of books in there that I really need to get around to reading. :sweatdrop:

Hi. I bought the entirety of the out of print early 2000s trades for Modestly Blaise. It was the most expensive set of comics I've ever bought. I have yet to read past volume 4ish. Modesty Blaise still remains extremely my poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have like 1500 trades or something.

I only want like 100 of them anymore.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is everybody inventorying their trades now? Because I sure am. Which brings me to the real question are purposely signed editions of trades worth anything more than the standard edition? I do have an All About P'Gell: The Spirit Casebook vol 2 signed in the front by Eisner, but I'm assuming it's still a hard sell because he signed a ton of poo poo, and there aren't as many Spirit fans as there used to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sometimes. If it's personalized it's hampers resale.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rhyno posted:

Sometimes. If it's personalized it's hampers resale.

I can't remember, that's how often I look at it. I think this one is a pasted in square of paper with a border and the numbering with a preprinted portrait of one of the characters and a pencil signature. Probably not personalized. Hell it might not even be real, I Ebayed it cheap because I wanted to read the book more, and thought "hey cool bonus if real" at the time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've got maybe 2-300 but it's little stuff I'm hunting down. I've been working on a complete Claremont uncanny run for a few years. I'm running out of issues that cost less than a hundred so it's starting to slow down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always ask for a personal signature on my stuff (ie made out to me). I feel like it makes the item more personal rather than just something everyone else has.

radlum
May 13, 2013
How was the Sandman Universe stuff? I remember seeing good comments about the Lucifer series and Spurrier being dissapointed that his Hellblazer run was cut short, but besides that I don't know if the series were any good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original Lucifer series is amazing, one of my favorite books of all time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

How was the Sandman Universe stuff? I remember seeing good comments about the Lucifer series and Spurrier being dissapointed that his Hellblazer run was cut short, but besides that I don't know if the series were any good.

Spurrier's Hellblazer wasn't cut short. He was promised 12 issues and got 12 issues. He just had plans for more than 12 issues and should have been able to do that too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The original Lucifer series is amazing, one of my favorite books of all time.

This is probably blasphemy, but I think it's a better run of comics than Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

This is probably blasphemy, but I think it's a better run of comics than Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Probably but I agree.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I liked reading it, read it twice, felt no real desire to read again, sold it to some goon.

I feel okay reading Sandman every few years.

Not really talking about the quality, just Sandman does more for me on retreads.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lucifer is great beginning to end but it really felt like one continuous storyline throughout whereas Sandman has the short stories and individual story arcs. I felt with Lucifer you needed to read it beginning to end where with Sandman I could pull up a random trade and be satisfied.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of!

First Sandman I read, I walked into the store and bought the current issues. #70. The beginning of burying the main character. I didn't know it was finishing! Thought it was like other comics and you bought whatever.

Bought the trades randomly, whatever a random store had in stock. Volume 1 was a late purchase. I think them finding Destruction was one of the last ones I got, so he was such a big empty point while reading the series.

Rereading The Wake after knowing the whole story was fun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sandman has the Prez issue, which is just mind blowing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sandman has the Prez issue, which is just mind blowing.

The whole World's End arc is just Gaiman showing off.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like G. Willow Wilson's recent run on The Dreaming very much. It does fun stuff with a setting I've never had any particular attachment to, and has a really wonderful trans main character.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Does anyone have the post/article that was written many many years ago that starts with the big reveal in Identity Crisis and works backwards from there to show that the mystery doesn't make any goddamn sense and can't work as the comic shows?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think mysteries actually making sense is overrated. Look at the movie The Big Sleep, an all time classic noir film, for example.

quote:

As the story goes, when this book was being turned into a movie, the filmmakers sent a telegram to Raymond Chandler asking who killed the chauffeur. Chandler answered, “Damned if I know.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

I think mysteries actually making sense is overrated. Look at the movie The Big Sleep, an all time classic noir film, for example.

I don't know if it's quite the same though. Owen Taylor's death is a small part of a larger story (or two stories, since The Big Sleep is the result of Chandler mashing two of his short stories together) and while it's ultimately not explained there are several plausible theories. The audience isn't expected to solve the mystery but they also aren't being actively misled.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

There's an old genre parody, "Murder by Death", that mashes together all the Big Detective characters by filing off their serial numbers and putting them in a classic 'invited to dinner, host gets murdered while the lights are out' scenario.

At the end:

quote:

Twain disparages the detectives—and metafictionally, the authors who created them—for the way their adventures have been handled. He points out such authorial misdeeds as introducing crucial characters at the last minute for the traditional "twist in the tale" (something the assembled detectives had been doing a few minutes earlier) and withholding clues and information to make it impossible for the reader to solve the mystery. 

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vandar posted:

Does anyone have the post/article that was written many many years ago that starts with the big reveal in Identity Crisis and works backwards from there to show that the mystery doesn't make any goddamn sense and can't work as the comic shows?
Something horrible has happened to our webhosting but here is the post I think you are referring to? From BSS post to blog post to BSS post again.

quote:

There are many reasons not to like Identity Crisis, Brad Meltzer’s best-selling murder mystery book for DC Comics. I’ve railed against it before, including in an embarasingly sloppy proto-FBB post you can read here. But even if you don’t mind its push towards “Superhero Decadence” or a dozen other charges against the book, it’s important to remember that it was an absolutely wretched murder mystery. To illustrate this, earlier today I wrote up a summary of the story from the culprit’s — SPOILER ALERT — perspective. Originally this was just a message board post, but I decided to remind everyone of this important Identity Crisis fact.

“Hi, I’m Jean Loring and I miss my ex-husband Ray Palmer. I know I dumped him for another man and divorced him years ago, and it’s clear he still carries a torch for me. How can I get back together with him? I’ve got it! I’ll borrow his superhero costume with unique White Dwarf powered shrinking powers and while using it for the first time, attempt to non-fatally harm one of our friends, using the rationale that this threat against superheroes’ loved ones will cause Ray to want to reunite. Even though he already wants to reunite.”

“Who should I use as the victim for this dangerous ruse? While I have a Rolodex of even the best-kept secret identities, I suppose I should target Sue Dibny, universally loved and publicly known wife of Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man. This is perfect, because today is the day of her husband’s big birthday party, and every hero in town will be heading over to her house. That’ll shake everyone up! And she’s pregnant! Perfect! Good thing I scheduled an appointment to meet with my ex-husband at the precise time I decide to commit this crime, that’s a perfect alibi. Hope he’ll be late!”

“Oh no! It appears that my untrained walking on Sue’s brain has caused her to die! Who knew? Good thing I had the foresight to bring along a flamethrower, “just in case” I end up murdering her. I can burn her corpse! I don’t know why I think that will mask my footprints on her brain, and it’s also completely illogical that none of my actions were detected or recorded by the most advanced security system in the universe. But hey, I guess today is my lucky day because the flamethrower I USED FOR NO REASON implicates Sue’s old rapist in the murder, even though I didn’t know about the rape! Oh, and my husband was half an hour late, leaving me plenty of time to wipe the blood and soot off my clothes. Good thing I’ve got such a solid gameface, he doesn’t suspect a thing!”

“Huh, turns out the rapist was mindwiped and didn’t know about the rape either but somehow intuited that he was going to be blamed for the murder anyway. Lucky me! Now I will fake a murder attempt on myself in order to draw Ray closer, even though he’d haven taken me back before all this if I just asked. In order to avoid actually dying by my own hand, he’d better arrive precisely on time for this meeting in order to save me, even though he was a full half an hour late to our last meeting for reasons no one ever thought to question! And since I improbably left no trace at my first murder for absolutely no adequately explained reason, it won’t be suspicious that the security systems don’t detect anyone but me!”

“Perfect! Ray and I are back together! But I had better do one more murder just to tie up loose ends. This time I don’t want to get my hands dirty, so I’ll just get in touch with the Calculator, a criminal mastermind so secretive that not even Batman can track him down. And since I can do that for no justifiable reason, I might as well somehow know who Robin’s family is, despite having dumped by Ray before Tim Drake ever became a superhero. Through my buddy Calculator, I’ll hire a fat loser who only commits crimes with boomerangs to do this third murder, so people will know it is connected to the two previous murders that didn’t involve boomerangs at all. And since I can do absolutely anything at this point, I might as well sneak an untraceable gun into Tim’s dad’s house for him to use against Captain Boomerang! Sure, this will tip off the heroes as to who the third victim is, but so long as the many different people on the case who can move faster than light are somehow occupied at the time of the murder, that won’t matter. Hopefully Mr. Drake and Captain Boomerang will somehow attack and kill each other at exactly the same time, so that no one will be around to ask questions. I just hope no one questions why this third murder was different in every possible way from the first two!”

“Ha, what do you know? No one seemed to care that the first two murders were performed by a SILENT AND UNTRACEABLE PHANTOM and the third one was a fat guy kicking down a door going “HEY I’M CAPTAIN BOOMERANG AND MY MURDER OF YOU IS GOING TO MAKE ME REAL FAMOUS! ME, CAPTAIN BOOMERANG, MASTER OF THE BOOMERANG. THIS ONE MURDER, NOT THE THIRD IN A SERIES, WILL CERTAINLY PUT ME ON THE MAP!” Nope, that didn’t raise any red flags at all for anyone. And my husband’s back with me! Everything’s coming up Jeannie! I sure hope I don’t accidentally blurt something out that only the killer would know right before I have sex with my superhero husband!”

“poo poo.”

~fin~

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Some time ago, someone did a thread called 'Every Comic Ever Roulette', where people would review comics based on a random number roll. I asked to only get rolls for the worst comics, and I 'lucked out' I got the bottom of the list, then and now, which was Identity Crisis. So I wrote a very in depth review of all the comic's issues, if I may toot my own horn, including the many many issues of the murder mystery, the real reasons I feel it was structured the way it did, why it failed anyway, and why it was super extra insulting on top of that.

Here, if anyone new cares.

TL:DR: I feel like the murder mystery was written under the assumption that the way it was portioned out over seven months, fans would overanalyze everything and figure out the mystery within two issues, so they basically wrote it solely to keep people from guessing the twist, which of course, made the twist make absolutely no sense at all. Also, the motivation was basically the worst version of :biotruths:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's kind of funny in that while IC was, I think, the thing that brought me back to caring about superhero comics, I've never actually read it. It was the discussion on these very forums lo those many years ago that was the fun part, what with the guess avatars and everything.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There could have been a great storyline with IC. Mind wipes were a disturbingly common aspect of old JLA comics and a modern series dealing with the ethics and repercussions of this could have been really good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's kind of funny in that while IC was, I think, the thing that brought me back to caring about superhero comics, I've never actually read it. It was the discussion on these very forums lo those many years ago that was the fun part, what with the guess avatars and everything.

Those avatars were probably my favorite gimmick here, next to the hand puppet ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

IC was also the reason we moved from the comic thread in GBS to getting our own forum, wasn't it?