Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Did yall know that riding bikes feels good? I was on the stretch of Hwy 1 between Stinson Beach and SF this morning and I got maybe 15 miles or so of completely clear road, no cars at all. It was loving glorious, I've completely scrubbed my new tires in and the SV felt heavenly switching between curves.

Everybody should roadtrip here at least once to ride that stretch, ideally at like 11 am on a Tuesday.

Edit: protip though: Farifax-Bolinas road looks amazing on a map, but MAN that one was sketchy as hell. 10 miles of no lane markings at all, just bare tarmac. Potholes everywhere. You are next to a steep cliff 100% of the time and I don't think there was a single guardrail anywhere.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mirconium posted:

Edit: protip though: Farifax-Bolinas road looks amazing on a map, but MAN that one was sketchy as hell. 10 miles of no lane markings at all, just bare tarmac. Potholes everywhere. You are next to a steep cliff 100% of the time and I don't think there was a single guardrail anywhere.

It has a surprising amount of vehicle traffic, too. I guess there's a scenic lake/reservoir and a trail head. A typical driver is just completely hopeless on a road like that. I saw this guy coming up through the trees, so I slowed down so he could go thru the corner, but once he saw me just decided to, literally, park his car there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEwpxBmRRY

If you're willing to come further south, Stage Rd is really good, with much better sight lines. Honestly all the roads down that way are pretty good, so much so that I seldom cross the bridge up to Marin/Sonoma.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

It has a surprising amount of vehicle traffic, too. I guess there's a scenic lake/reservoir and a trail head. A typical driver is just completely hopeless on a road like that. I saw this guy coming up through the trees, so I slowed down so he could go thru the corner, but once he saw me just decided to, literally, park his car there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEwpxBmRRY

If you're willing to come further south, Stage Rd is really good, with much better sight lines. Honestly all the roads down that way are pretty good, so much so that I seldom cross the bridge up to Marin/Sonoma.

Oh man, noted, I'll prob do that one next weekend! I love the Santa Cruz mountains, there are so many weird nooks and crannies. And you'll find weird raw dary hippie shops in them instead of George Lucas's 3rd recording studio, like in Marin.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Opopanax posted:

I'm assuming you guys were dressed like Tom of Finland bikers

Not quite, but we were both wearing race leathers, pushed up against each other on a sportbike with a tiny pillion seat. Gay enough for me!

(Also, did you know it's really nice to ride a bike and suddenly your pillion cuddles you? :3
I really need to find myself a cute boy again to plop on the back of my bike and ride around with.)

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 18, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

I really need to find myself a cute boy again to plop on the back of my bike and ride around with

Thread title

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slavvy posted:

Thread title

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raw gay horsepower mode engaged

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Raw gay horsepower mode engaged

:sickos:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
New smaller Sportster over at Harley

Stressed member engine, 975cc version of the big one from the Pan Am and Sportster S. No idea if it's sleeved or just smaller jugs, but it is reduced bore and stroke. It is now liquid cooled.

Airbox lives in the "gas tank". HD will still happily sell you a k&n filter or a naked velocity stack to go in the traditional spot between the pistons on the rhs of the bike, which... makes the thing between your legs entirely superfluous? Actual gas tank is a low mounted fuel cell.

Still has dual rear shocks, still has single disc front, still running a 19 up front and a 16 in the back.

Exhaust is 2-1 and looks like a goddamned stovepipe. Aesthetically fuckugly exhausts are one thing I'm not going to miss from the last era of gas bikes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This one? https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/04/14/2022-harley-davidson-nightster-first-look-10-fast-facts-16-photos/

Not my bag, but I can see that being appealing to a lot of people. Especially new riders that want a Harley.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Does some kind of special structure have to go into an engine casting for it to be a stressed member? Or are cylinders already stiff enough.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

New smaller Sportster over at Harley

Stressed member engine, 975cc version of the big one from the Pan Am and Sportster S. No idea if it's sleeved or just smaller jugs, but it is reduced bore and stroke. It is now liquid cooled.

Airbox lives in the "gas tank". HD will still happily sell you a k&n filter or a naked velocity stack to go in the traditional spot between the pistons on the rhs of the bike, which... makes the thing between your legs entirely superfluous? Actual gas tank is a low mounted fuel cell.

Still has dual rear shocks, still has single disc front, still running a 19 up front and a 16 in the back.

Exhaust is 2-1 and looks like a goddamned stovepipe. Aesthetically fuckugly exhausts are one thing I'm not going to miss from the last era of gas bikes.

I don't hate it. Is that the gas tank, poking down under the seat? That bulbous hemorrhoid?

Curious, what's wrong with 19/16 wheels?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

yup, thats the tank. I think it might look worse with an aftermarket exhaust, cause it will just be one solid unbroken plastic blister

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Gas tanks under the seat with a faux shelter to keep up appearances hasn’t led to ANY frustrations or maintenance “quirks” in the past, any other Oldwing owners here wanna corroborate?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

19/16 is just a weird size I think. The market has standardized on 17, 18, 21

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I don’t hate it? But man I do hate even moving the gas tank they still make them tiny as gently caress :/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have news from the future:

"HD Discontinues Nightster Model for 2024"

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

More expensive than an GSX-S1000GT+. Like yeah completely different market segment but still. HD pricing is absurd. It does look good though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Does some kind of special structure have to go into an engine casting for it to be a stressed member? Or are cylinders already stiff enough.

You have to design it with that in mind but there's no special parts or anything, just a matter of making the fasteners and castings etc big and strong enough. Bottom fill casting made it much easier cause now the engine can be strong AND light.

epswing posted:

I don't hate it. Is that the gas tank, poking down under the seat? That bulbous hemorrhoid?

Curious, what's wrong with 19/16 wheels?

Nothing, they're just a traditional sporty sort of size. There are good tyre options in Harley's dumb sizes cause there are so many Harleys and tbh, 17" wheels basically ruin a sportster, they're too small in relation to the wheelbase. 18" front and rear is the 'right' configuration imo.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That exhaust is...oh I don't know at least it's interesting. Not liking what appears to be a complete lack of travel from the rear suspension. It looks low, this is the actual ride height?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

This is the picture from the article. The one posted above doesn't even have mirrors?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So the airbox tank like a buell is interesting.

Phy posted:

Given the peg position I now want to see one with the filter down low, ditch the tank, and drop a dualsport/sumo long seat right there. :getin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The engine looks like it belongs on a bike in a cartoon.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

put some anodized gold upside down front forks on that thing and ill be interested.

says it has a factory slipper clutch so its like they kind of thought about some spirited sport riding

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

God I hate working on kickstart only bikes. I'm too out of shape to be doing this all day

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

yummycheese posted:

put some anodized gold upside down front forks on that thing and ill be interested.

says it has a factory slipper clutch so its like they kind of thought about some spirited sport riding

Or bad riders high siding on downshifts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

So the airbox tank like a buell is interesting.

Vrod

Collateral Damage posted:

The engine looks like it belongs on a bike in a cartoon.

Vrod

yummycheese posted:

Vrod

Ola posted:

Or bad riders high siding on downshifts.

Vrod

It is a stylistic vrod revival for the red sneaker crowd and they will sell loads. The normal sporty has usd's etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That is such a weird looking exhaust pipe though. It's like a mortar tube.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t hate it but it looks like my dads leaf blower.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Vrod

Vrod

Vrod

Vrod

It is a stylistic vrod revival for the red sneaker crowd and they will sell loads. The normal sporty has usd's etc.

What's the red sneaker crowd? Feel like you've mentioned that before and explained it but occasionally things need to be hammered into my dense skull

Also I am appalled that nobody bit on when I said "the thing between your legs is entirely superfluous"

E:

Russian Bear posted:

I have news from the future:

"HD Discontinues Nightster Model for 2024"

I will not take that bet

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rolo posted:

I don’t hate it but it looks like my dads leaf blower.

Harley sure know their demographic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

What's the red sneaker crowd? Feel like you've mentioned that before and explained it but occasionally things need to be hammered into my dense skull

Also I am appalled that nobody bit on when I said "the thing between your legs is entirely superfluous"

E:

I will not take that bet

Get a vrod
Paint it black if it isn't black
Fit v&h drag pipes
Fit the tallest t-bars you can find
Put on a pair of red sneakers

You've just transformed into your favorite character, Goku, from your favorite show, sons of anarchy, and are ready to do all the moves along with him like selling meth/cosplaying as a meth dealer. I think the slump in vrod prices stateside is driving this poo poo; there is a tire and vinyl place down the road that occasionally does cosmetic poo poo on bikes and they are offering a package deal to turn your rod into a SOA cosplay. I doubt nz is the only place in the world where this is a trend and Harley have their finger on the pulse of every dumb trend, much more so than any other brand. The bike above looks like it was built to a checklist to satisfy those people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Still not sure what the red sneaker crowd is. It's not Nike Air Lenins is it? Demographically; 40s, anime fans, is that it?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

yummycheese posted:

Nope, it's engine management fuckery, not a slipper clutch:

quote:

The other safety aid is what Harley-Davidson calls Drag-Torque Slip Control System, which makes engine adjustments to reduce rear-tire slip under engine braking, instead of using a slipper clutch.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2022-harley-davidson-nightster-first-look

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A much better system than a slipper even if it does rely on the dread electron.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’ve never heard of red sneaker crowd either and honestly still troubling to visualize even after the sort of description. Sons of Anarchy cosplay is different in my mind I guess

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here look, here's a local manufacturer who makes bespoke black t-bars specifically for vrods, specifically to cater to the wannabe gangster crowd. This is the example picture:

Literally the only thing missing is a fuckwit in a hoodie and red sneakers perched on top. It even has the v&h drag pipe!!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I thought "red sneaker crowd" was a reference to the mongrel mob or something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Head hunters have basically adopted it as a uniform, because they're a thinly disguised meth distribution network and none of them can ride for poo poo or know anything about bikes. The mongrels have way too much dignity for that poo poo and usually run traditional Harleys, actually care about their bikes, and are generally not cunts on an individual level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Here look, here's a local manufacturer

drat, $1150 for a VROD is cheap!!