Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Even the most positive posts about how fun and engaging the game is even in an unbalanced, unpolished state are tainted with the knowledge that this first impression is still a let-down compared to what it ought to have been.

:(

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah as soon as I heard about the leak I though 'oh my god so many nerds are going to be sending them feedback on an incomplete alpha build'. How utterly pointless lmao

Are there any hints how old the code is? It’s probably months behind their main dev branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Really can't imagine just how dispiriting this situation must be. Really, truly sucks. On the plus side, glad to hear they're starting live streams soon; the Wiz/ASpec ones in the lead up to Stellaris were so much fun, so v. much looking forward to it :shobon:

e: Actually it just says video rather than streams, so might just be gameplay footage, but I can dream

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'd prefer directed gameplay video to hours of streaming where devs are visibly hesitant to trigger anything unfinished.

I remember those Stellaris streams that gave birth to some memes.

Anyway I'm buying the game anyway so I'm probably not the intended audience for those pre-release materials.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

us goons have been disappointing wiz and co for over a decade we ain’t gonna stop now :colbert:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Zikan posted:

I love how this thread immediately devolved into armchair developing of an alpha build when Wiz flat up states

damb cant believe the obvious wasnt obvious

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groogy posted:

I get people are excited to play but my personal values are that EA is a marketing strategy for smaller developers that might not have the funds to finish it. It doesn't have a good purpose for established products as the main draw of it is that you get two "releases" which is great from a press perspective for the company.

A larger developer doing that is just making the meme "Paradox releases unfinished stuff" into reality.

E: Good purpose for larger studios here I mean in a consumer friendly purpose. Of course there's plenty reason why a company would want your money without delivering something.

Yeah there's a lot of good reasons why it ain't happening, but a man can dream...

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

ilitarist posted:

I'd prefer directed gameplay video to hours of streaming where devs are visibly hesitant to trigger anything unfinished.

Anyway I'm buying the game anyway so I'm probably not the intended audience for those pre-release materials.

Wiz and cKnoor goon dream stream team, been downhill since then imo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We need a new thread title in honor of the leak.

Victoria 3: Bulgarian nation, Bulgarian pride

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

will be very disappointed if v3 ships without the ability to form great old bulgaria and/or old great bulgaria

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

let bulgaria form byzantium imo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

will be very disappointed if v3 ships without the ability to form great old bulgaria and/or old great bulgaria
and. It definitely needs to be both.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

let bulgaria form byzantium imo
Doesnt HoI4 let that happen?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jazerus posted:

wiz once bought Iron Cross so someone would LP it after the old great bulgaria/great old bulgaria/great bulgaria the great LP, but they never did. it is my greatest disappointment

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, for as much as I've enjoyed it, this leak is on the balance definitely bad news. I was excited to learn and talk more about this game so I went to see how other Vic3 communities were talking about this game and it seemed to universally be people calling the trade system fundamentally broken, and shouting down anyone who points out it's not a complete system yet. I didn't even see people pointing out what seems obvious to me- just changing/finishing the UI would make the current system okay.

Now going forward this is going to be a heated hot button issue, and any community insight that something about the trade system doesn't look great is going to be mistaken for and swallowed up by people still mad that the leak had poor trade UI. It sucks.

At least the other hot button issue, warfare, seems to have as many people shitposting about how dumb it was to ever move little guys on a map, as people complaining about the new system. That seems like just a fundamental difference in what people want out of the game, and as someone who doesn't want to move little guys around a board for no reason, I'm happy with how things are going. There's no real way to address people who want to move around guys other than ignore them, so that issue seems fine.

For my part, I feel I've learned a ton about the game, and I love the direction it's going. But it's clearly already not a great thing for the community discourse in general, and it's going to be more obvious how lovely it is as we learn more stuff and see people bringing up criticism of the leak.

hobbesmaster posted:

:(

Are there any hints how old the code is? It’s probably months behind their main dev branch.
There was a Lubeck AAR on their discord where the world fell apart due to constant turmoil. I think that issue was fixed before the AAR was done. So this build was probably from the start of February.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Eiba posted:

For my part, I feel I've learned a ton about the game, and I love the direction it's going. But it's clearly already not a great thing for the community discourse in general, and it's going to be more obvious how lovely it is as we learn more stuff and see people bringing up criticism of the leak.

yeah I get pretty irritated whenever I see anyone raise concerns or issues about the game on the basis of the leak. it's so dumb. they didn't release it for a reason u dummy heads.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ilitarist posted:

01_WITTY_REPLY

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The amount of positive feedback of the leak I saw definitely makes me feel a lot better about the release, but absolutely not worth it if you have to see all the other discussion about it. Even now the number of replies to that statement that just completely disregard their reasoning and essentially go but have you considered that actually you know nothing about game development compared to us??? is way too high. Do not envy anyone who has to actually read paradox forums

Edit: Like seriously, if the worst possible complaints about the game are that the UI needs touching up and some mechanics need to be balanced differently that's basically a stunning endorsement. Having actually strong and good core mechanics and iterating and improving those over time is basically what Paradox development has been built for! And these core mechanics seems stronger than any other paradox game released so far tbh. It'll be an entirely different beast than Victoria 2 for sure, but I can always go back and play that.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I had no idea about the leak until that Twitter post. That really sucks.

I've been avoiding dev diaries so not to spoil anything so now I have to avoid more stuff.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah what the hell do people who are playing a leaked alpha and making suggestions think they're doing? Like do whatever you want, I'm not playing because launch day pdx is buggy enough for me, but offering suggestions?

It's the equivalent of walking into a kitchen, eating a bunch of random ingredients and telling the chef their cooking could use some work. I really dunno why anybody would ruin their first experience like that. Curiousity is one thing, but it's obviously not finished or even close to it.

Feel really bad for wiz and the team that this happened.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Mirello posted:

Yeah what the hell do people who are playing a leaked alpha and making suggestions think they're doing? Like do whatever you want, I'm not playing because launch day pdx is buggy enough for me, but offering suggestions?

It's the equivalent of walking into a kitchen, eating a bunch of random ingredients and telling the chef their cooking could use some work. I really dunno why anybody would ruin their first experience like that. Curiousity is one thing, but it's obviously not finished or even close to it.

Feel really bad for wiz and the team that this happened.

Exposure to Paradox products has a known side effect of stripping away one's ability to feel human. This can only be the result of exposure to the unrefined product.

Really sucks for the team, but I'm still down for my $70 down payment and years of DLC.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I feel awful for Wiz and the team and have no interest in playing the leaked version. Also from a crisis management perspective I thought that Wiz’s formal reply on behalf of paradox was really good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't give a poo poo about how PDX devs feel. Just give me a good game

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Beefeater1980 posted:

I feel awful for Wiz and the team and have no interest in playing the leaked version. Also from a crisis management perspective I thought that Wiz’s formal reply on behalf of paradox was really good.
Indeed. The forums are full of topics bitching about this or that, and it’s like, yeah: if you eat raw cookie dough, it’s not going to taste like a cookie, dumb asses.
The rest of the topics are what you would expect, but also a halfway decent one about the fact the game doesn’t seem to represent (yet, at least) the Carlists in Spain( I say “halfway” because a few posters in there are way too into the idea of reconquering Spain’s former colonies as an absolutist monarch)

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Kind of hoping for Divergences of Darkness and Napoleon's Legacy mods to come over to V3, they were very interesting.

Its impossible to not see parts of the leaks if you are roving around, the stuff I've seen has definitely hyped me up even more. I'm definitely steering clear of getting it and I'll end up pre-ordering and sinking a few thousand hours into this game like all other Pdx games.

It seems to have upset a lot of the "4chan" crowd which I count as a win as those kinds of people are insufferable in the Hoi4 community, especially the mods they put out.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Frankly I thought that the fact that the leak is *roughly* in the right shape as what they said it would be and appears to have most of its key mechanics implemented is great news. The foundation is solid. There's tweaking and polishing to go, but that's par for the course for Paradox games anyway. I remain hyped.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't even know why you'd try and give a lot of suggestions. Like, is the leak balanced enough to even make suggestions or is it balanced in a way that encourages rebellions in order to test that mechanic? Who knows!

All I know is that apparently I have made my church people mad and they have decided the solution is to get rid of my public schools for some reason.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gaius Marius posted:

But what if they have lost the ability to feel human?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hellioning posted:

I don't even know why you'd try and give a lot of suggestions. Like, is the leak balanced enough to even make suggestions or is it balanced in a way that encourages rebellions in order to test that mechanic? Who knows!

All I know is that apparently I have made my church people mad and they have decided the solution is to get rid of my public schools for some reason.

This seems historically accurate

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah I'm not sure what the people on the forums are trying to achieve. Posting about the leak can be a thought exercise but I wouldn't try to offer any concrete suggestions or feedback to the devs themselves, it's pointless and rude. Like reading a leaked book and going through it to criticize the grammar and saying "oh hey, chapter 5 is really bare bones". Obviously, they know. Flip through the pages to sate your curiosity, but don't give the author any feedback or criticism jfc

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

i always hope groogy is having a good day :shobon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i always hope groogy is having a good day :shobon:
Me too, but he's not a PDX dev any more.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/pdxcon

PDXCON early September with

quote:

Being one of the first 500 players to try out Victoria 3 and meet with the team.

being the main attraction.

Makes me sad because that means release will be late September/October/November earliest.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Freaking badass posting my dude.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

500 euro tickets, lmao.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

500 euro tickets, lmao.

The gas increases are already priced in, sad!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GaussianCopula posted:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/pdxcon

PDXCON early September with

being the main attraction.

Makes me sad because that means release will be late September/October/November earliest.

I’ve been anticipating a christmas release since basically forever so this is making feel very solid

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

500 euro tickets, lmao.
Hahaha what? And that's on top of having to travel to Stockholm.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I once said I would open palm slam the most expensive victoria 3 bundle the moment it went on sale but this isn't what i meant

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ignorant Hick posted:

Freaking badass posting my dude.

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships. I'm wishing the dev team well not because I wish them good health as friends, but because I want a really good game from them.

Which the leak has proven they are on their path to delivering. It's why PDX's message of "even the people telling us they're enjoying the unfinished product are wrong and also hurting our morale" is dumb as poo poo, because it's proof that the path they're on is the good one, no matter the current circumstances. I get, though, that they can't openly say ever that they agree with that message, since it would be like tacitly saying the leak was good.

Bottom line: the half finished game is looking good and hopefully the team delivers on what they've promised so far in the dev diaries, in return I'll reward Paradox with some cash and a thumbs up on the steam review page, as will many others.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Popoto posted:

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships. I'm wishing the dev team well not because I wish them good health as friends, but because I want a really good game from them.

Which the leak has proven they are on their path to delivering. It's why PDX's message of "even the people telling us they're enjoying the unfinished product are wrong and also hurting our morale" is dumb as poo poo, because it's proof that the path they're on is the good one, no matter the current circumstances. I get, though, that they can't openly say ever that they agree with that message, since it would be like tacitly saying the leak was good.

Bottom line: the half finished game is looking good and hopefully the team delivers on what they've promised so far in the dev diaries, in return I'll reward Paradox with some cash and a thumbs up on the steam review page, as will many others.

That's not what we said though, just that while it's nice to hear people enjoy the game even in the leaked state, it would have been even nicer to let those people experience the actual finished product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Popoto posted:

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships.

Imagine being nice to someone just because you think that it's better for people to experience pleasant things than unpleasant ones, what a crazy idea