Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Blockhouse posted:

wasn't it always better dps to swiftcast slipstream

I'm not one that crunched numbers, but I think using it on Ifrit was better. Slipstream put your GCD on the same duration as the cast even if it was instant, while Ifrit's spells had a longer cast than the GCD they caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

slipstream afaik was sometimes the better option if you needed to slide it in under raid buffs or there were specific timing issues that meant the full DOT wouldn't connect if you hardcast, but ruby rite was generally better because it had a long cast but normal GCD, while slipstream was also on a long cast but had a GCD timer to match, so swiftcast didn't mean an actual time gain the way it did for ifrit. that said once I learned it was only for raid buff timings or specific DOT timings I immediately jettisoned the information because such things weren't relevant to my optimization case (EX farm parties in PF), so that might not be fully accurate.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Even that seems like a ridiculously minor amount of added DPS, though? I mean, how many instant casts of Ifrit’s spells would you have to get before you get a single extra cast of Ruin or Tri-Disaster?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I winstreaked in CC straight into gold with gunbreaker so I'm ready to label it OK. Just fun to play.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

oh yeah it comes out to something insane like 1 GCD in 8 minutes, but when you're playing the game's easiest rotation it soothes the brain to pretend it's possible to eke out some smooth optimization

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Even that seems like a ridiculously minor amount of added DPS, though? I mean, how many instant casts of Ifrit’s spells would you have to get before you get a single extra cast of Ruin or Tri-Disaster?

5 casts, so 1-2 extra Ruin casts per fight

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I feel like perhaps doing CC with AST is not the best use of my time. But the allure of levelling while I play...

Of my other classes, I have BLM, SMN and DNC below 90 yet still high enough that I kind of remember how to play them. Are any of them OP? I also have WHM of course, but that's its own thing, from what I can tell.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nessus posted:

I feel like perhaps doing CC with AST is not the best use of my time. But the allure of levelling while I play...

Of my other classes, I have BLM, SMN and DNC below 90 yet still high enough that I kind of remember how to play them. Are any of them OP? I also have WHM of course, but that's its own thing, from what I can tell.

Smn is good, dnc and blm is bottom tier, never heard anything good about ast but nobody ever lists it when talking about the bottom tier so it's probably playable but overshrouded by whm.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nothing like a 9 minute match to get the blood pumping, jesus christ.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SettingSun posted:

I winstreaked in CC straight into gold with gunbreaker so I'm ready to label it OK. Just fun to play.

I would like to know more. The damage output read like it would be pretty good but the lack of crowd control seems like a huge disadvantage.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP goes back to Idyllshire to take care of some crucial loose ends. Also featuring Carpentry!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Maintenance for all residential areas in the morning, from 7:30 PDT to whenever it's done. They're just making sure that the results period of the lottery is successfully extended and the system isn't starting a new cycle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

Remembering how to play a class is irrelevant in pvp, the actions are all new. May as well take the chance to learn a new job class, imo

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah every class in PVP is like 5 buttons, vaguely inspired by the PVE class but not actually having much in common.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

Smn is good, dnc and blm is bottom tier, never heard anything good about ast but nobody ever lists it when talking about the bottom tier so it's probably playable but overshrouded by whm.

AST is very much a "win more" class, they have very powerful buffs and a strong HOT+shield combo that can help a teammate survive a DRG or MCH bursting them but they don't have WHM's unlimited cure II bug or stun laser so they don't get the big cary man energy that gets people excitedly posting about them. Their LB is incredibly strong for taking checkpoints/the final goal however.

Likewise gunbreaker is pretty fun despite easily being the squishiest of the tanks and softer even than some of the DPS, I feel GNB would be in a better place if they cut the cooldown time of draw and junction in half so it could more easily react to what's happening. The junctioned casts are good but none of them are nearly powerful enough to warrant having to wait an entire 30 seconds to even have the option to pull a different one.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I personally think the play with GNB is to always junction DPS and pretend you're just a DPS. Their numbers are still a bit undertuned, but given that none of GNB's junctions grant CC, the next useful option is just burst.

Really wish that GNB had a bit better tankiness for Tank junction though. Tank Junctions might just need lifesteal instead of barriers on their Gnashing Fang combo and move a baseline barrier ability to something else (maybe get rid of the counter-attack on Nebula and move the barrier to that?).

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 20, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah gunbreaker can't really be played like a tank because they have no good way to up their survivability. What I grew into doing was turning them into a sort of sniper and use their really good burst to pick off weak targets. To be fair, you can do that with almost any other job too but it felt really good as gnb. It's also a fun play to turn on nebula and rip into entrenched positions with their lb.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For summoner PvP, am I right to assume that Bahamut is for when the entire enemy team is sitting on the crystal and you want to instantly drop 30K potency on them, and Phoenix is for when your team is in trouble and you either need big heals or to neuter the damage of an incoming enemy LB?

Also the full gcd wait in the Ifrit combo between charging in and confirming the actual high damage hit seems incredibly dangerous for the job with the lowest hp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

For summoner PvP, am I right to assume that Bahamut is for when the entire enemy team is sitting on the crystal and you want to instantly drop 30K potency on them, and Phoenix is for when your team is in trouble and you either need big heals or to neuter the damage of an incoming enemy LB?

Correct. Phoenix also has some nice DoT pressure, which if your team has a Scholar, you can really put people on a clock.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Also the full gcd wait in the Ifrit combo between charging in and confirming the actual high damage hit seems incredibly dangerous for the job with the lowest hp.

Unlike the equivalent pve combo, you do not need to be in melee range to cast the follow-up to your ifrit dash. You can run back out while casting it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, they’re doing maintenance on the housing areas, I was logged out in one. When I try to log in I just get 9002 errors every time it tries to log me in. Is this because of the maintenance? If so that’s incredibly bad form to punish anyone who logs out in a housing district and doing patch work during the day.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah they should have just shut down the servers so no one could play.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They probably should have, at the very least, done better messaging on this so I could have logged out somewhere that would allow me to actually play the game right now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If it’s a huge enough issue. Yes. Take the entire thing down. Or at least provide people with a work around. Had to see on Twitter that someone stated you could log in by visiting another world right from the login screen and then going back to home server. Why can’t they state that right in their message?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

STUCK IN A HOUSING ZONE? Right click your character name on the login screen and choose world visit, it'll spit you out at one of the Big 3 City-states on another server.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

truly a heinous sin committed by the devs

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

housing districts available again

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
WHY DO PEOPLE NOT ROLL ON LOOT

ROLL ON THE loving LOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

WHY DO PEOPLE NOT ROLL ON LOOT

ROLL ON THE loving LOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they don't understand how the rolling works and believe that if they can annoy the people that rolled under a 10 anyway into leaving, it will magically result in them having a better chance of beating the person that rolled a 99 five minutes ago and won't go away.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Gruckles posted:

I think they don't understand how the rolling works and believe that if they can annoy the people that rolled under a 10 anyway into leaving, it will magically result in them having a better chance of beating the person that rolled a 99 five minutes ago and won't go away.

I ran Brayflox recently with two sprouts. The first wanted everyone to roll so they could get an upgrade. The second got very angry and refused, saying that if they rolled on loot they could be kicked and they didn't want to be kicked by people looking to invite their friends. It was an odd dynamic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mainwaring posted:

The second got very angry and refused, saying that if they rolled on loot they could be kicked and they didn't want to be kicked by people looking to invite their friends.

i have never heard of anyone doing this that's insane

if you wanted to play a dungeon with your friends you just queue with them

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I've definitely seen people refuse to roll loot so that they could not be kicked but usually there's an inciting event, not just... wild paranoia out of nowhere

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
World of Warcraft leaves deep scars.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

World of Warcraft leaves deep scars.

I've been playing with a friend who sub'd recently who refused to use Return in Haukke Manor because she was convinced it was a trick to get her to leave the party

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No Dignity posted:

I've been playing with a friend who sub'd recently who refused to use Return in Haukke Manor because she was convinced it was a trick to get her to leave the party

Thankfully, the days of having to explain to sprouts how to get out of the Haukke Manor basement are over

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Zomborgon posted:

I've definitely seen people refuse to roll loot so that they could not be kicked but usually there's an inciting event, not just... wild paranoia out of nowhere

that's, uh, interesting

I would just guess some people are in "clear dungeon" mode and will exit the dungeon asap to not have to worry about loot

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cant keep pace with the tank and keep fighting while rolling on playstation, also whats the rush

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arist posted:

They probably should have, at the very least, done better messaging on this so I could have logged out somewhere that would allow me to actually play the game right now.

It's mentioned in the Lodestone article as that it's an emergency maintenance, so they may not have had time.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
this is especially bad on week 1 of a new tier, people who can't get the crafted sets but want to be serious are always going to prisoner's dilemma the loot rolls by waiting for as many people as possible to leave so they have the best shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah players in fights with a "one gear piece per week" loot lockup will sometimes roll Pass on the gear they don't want then wait, hoping that the other players will win that gear and be out of contention for the gear the player actually wants.

This has obvious downsides if more than one person is trying to do it to get the same piece.