Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They only did it to two seats. It's likely that the management of the ride were attempting to create a "modified seat" for larger guests, like what many B&M roller coasters (like Hulk at Universal) have. The difference here being this was an unauthorized and (obviously) dangerous modification.

Cat Hatter posted:

It might not be so simple. From the original post it sounded to me like they'd replaced a switch with a similar switch that activated in a different spot, likely not realizing the difference. What actually happened was a proximity sensor was aligned so the shoulder harness would read "Closed" even though it had twice the gap it was supposed to. Seems cut and dry until you see the mechanism. There is a slot that allows for adjustment. You can see where it had been tightened down when it was installed, where it actually was, and then a poo poo-ton of room past that. To my untrained eye, and how much more gap was introduced by moving the sensor, you could probably get that sensor to read closed while the shoulder harness is almost fully open just by loosening two screws and sliding the sensor to a different spot. They could have changed it on purpose, but the screws could just as easily have come loose and then someone just tightened them back up not knowing the significance of what had just happened.

Found a copy of the report in a frame at the bottom of this page, but if you click on it to view it on Scribd, it says its been removed:
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-investigation/

So is this like a cheap unlicensed repair type situation? Something like, "The dang ride keeps freezing up cause these sensors are bad, and we'd have to shut it down for 2 weeks to get it done right, we'll just use a random handyman and some spare parts rather than lose the revenue." If it's not that I'm having trouble understanding why 2 sensors would be messed up in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kenning posted:

So is this like a cheap unlicensed repair type situation? Something like, "The dang ride keeps freezing up cause these sensors are bad, and we'd have to shut it down for 2 weeks to get it done right, we'll just use a random handyman and some spare parts rather than lose the revenue." If it's not that I'm having trouble understanding why 2 sensors would be messed up in this way.

It's still the same sensor, and the only thing keeping it in place is a metal slot. It very well could have been intentional since the only two seats that were out of spec were next to each other so that seems suspicious. On the other hand, if there is only one point of failure, it shouldn't be designed to be field adjustable, and it sure as poo poo should have multiple holes or teeth or a threaded adjuster or something to help keep it in place other than clamping pressure against a smooth surface.

To put this in perspective, I've never had an alternator on a car that could fall out of adjustment so easily, and that's just annoying if it stops working.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

NEW CONSTRUCTION OPTIONS AVAILABLE

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/GlKWYit.mp4

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I was fearfully reminded of that old video where an animal control person is on a news report or something with a cat. For some reason the cat goes ballistic, starts crawling all over the control person's legs with its claws out, and eventually stops and digs in with its claws and teeth in one of his upper thighs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZW3_5Gr4s

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

As far as "counterproductive tv ads" go, this is basically the pet adoption version of OCP showing off Robocop 2.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jabor posted:

The first bright flashes as it touches down are just sparks from scraping the runway. Then it slows down to the point where you stop seeing sparks fly out the back, then the tanks and/or hoses wear through and you start seeing flames out the back.

Ah I understand now thanks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The flash under the wings that essentially put itself out had pretty good comedic timing, too.

“Aaannnddd weeeee’re DONE.”

*curtains*

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

The flash under the wings that essentially put itself out had pretty good comedic timing, too.

“Aaannnddd weeeee’re DONE.”

*curtains*

I was wondering about that, I assume fire suppression system onboard put it out?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

is that / can that be a bbq grill?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Three Killed When Engine No. 61 Suffers Boiler Explosion at Cameron in 1859 posted:

Before dark, on the evening of Monday, September 26, 1859, B&O engine No. 61 departed Wheeling with a heavy eastbound freight train bound for Grafton. John Harris was the hoghead* and James Dawson was his tallowpot (No. 61 was a class L Winans Camel built by Winans 12/1848; rebuilt later and renumbered to No. 87 in 1884; off roster by 1897).

At a little before 9 o'clock that evening, the freight train arrived at Cameron. Here, the engine was in the process of taking water before a helper engine was coupled up for the heavy grades between Cameron and Glover's Gap.

The usual number of onlookers had assembled about the water tank when suddenly, the boiler exploded "with a fearful report." Engineer john Harris was just getting up to move the engine when the boiler let go. The unfortunate hogger was blown a good distance "and his head was completely severed from his body." Most of the clothing had been blown off the engineer's body.

Fireman James Dawson was standing on the engine at the time of the explosion. He was "carried with great violence an almost incredible distance and frightfully mangled." Dawson was engaged to be married to a young lady of Cameron in just four days (on October 1st).

James Winters, the conductor, "was terribly scaled and beaten with heavy flying pieces of iron." He died shortly after and since he resided in Cameron, his body was later taken to his house.

About a dozen people, all citizens of Cameron, were scaled, some slightly and others more badly. Joseph Meeks, Thomas Fox, and Joseph Camfort were badly injured by the scalding steam and flying missiles of iron. Brakeman William Price and engineer William Lemmon, on the helper engine, were slightly injured. Price had his eyes badly scaled and his face and hands somewhat disfigured by the explosion.

Engine No. 61 was new to the engineer and fireman and it was surmised that this might have had something to do with the boiler explosion. William Lemmon, the engineer on the helper engine who was slightly injured, was killed about ten years later by a boiler explosion at Glover's Gap.

- West of Cumberland, A History of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the Mountain State West of the Queen City, Book 1

*Slang for engineer. Tallowpot is fireman. The guy who wrote this book is great for documenting fascinating little minutia of the B&O's Old Main Line through history, but has the annoying habit of using and italicizing slang like he thinks it's extremely clever.

Steam engines used to detonate with alarming regularity. (The type in the quote, a camel, was particularly notorious for this.) These were machines built by skilled engineers and craftsmen and they still frequently killed their users. I would not want a homemade boiler that large anywhere near me.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

empty whippet box posted:

is that / can that be a bbq grill?

Looks more like a smoker.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Log082 posted:

Steam engines used to detonate with alarming regularity. (The type in the quote, a camel, was particularly notorious for this.) These were machines built by skilled engineers and craftsmen and they still frequently killed their users. I would not want a homemade boiler that large anywhere near me.

Nonsense, with modern metallurgy, and a frequent and rigorous nondestructive testing schedule, to include the use of ultrasonics, the modern steam-powered conveyance is as safe as houses.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Nonsense, with modern metallurgy, and a frequent and rigorous nondestructive testing schedule, to include the use of ultrasonics, the modern steam-powered conveyance is as safe as houses.

I know you're joking but just for anyone that didn't notice that boiler is made out of a cut open 55 gallon drum.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nah, that's just the fire box, the boiler appears to be a very safe rusted to poo poo compressed gas cylinder stuck in a hole in the drum.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

I was fearfully reminded of that old video where an animal control person is on a news report or something with a cat. For some reason the cat goes ballistic, starts crawling all over the control person's legs with its claws out, and eventually stops and digs in with its claws and teeth in one of his upper thighs.

Pinky the Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZW3_5Gr4s

Edit: beaten

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 20, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

NEW CONSTRUCTION OPTIONS AVAILABLE

you ever read something that kicks you right in the dick by activating memories you didn't realize still existed?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like how so many of the burned out cars turned immediately rusted out. Ocean is OP.

Fire and rust are actually the same process, oxidation.
Also fire removes paint, galvanizing, and the tempering from the steel, further letting it oxidize. If you burn a car in arizona, it'll turn up immediately rusty like that as well.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

This is what I see in my head when I read old chuds commenting with seething hatred about the future of electric cars.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/29LJVkg.mp4

Now kith.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 20, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Log082 posted:

Hoghead Tallowpot is a prime username.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Guessing they dumped fuel before landing to lower the risk of turning into an enormous fireball.

Usually only large airliners like the 747, A380, 777 or A350 can jettison fuel. And even then it's often an optional add-on not every airline buys. Jetisoning fuel in emergencies isn't to reduce fire risk, it's because the max landing weight is so much lower than the max take-off weight on those large planes. Landing grossly overweight could damage the aircraft or not be able to land safely without injury to passengers. Without jettison, large airliners would need to circle around burning fuel for a very long time if they had to return to land right after departure.

For smaller airliners and jets that number is much closer and burning fuel by flying around a little longer or just landing overweight isn't as much of an issue.

Cat Hatter posted:

It might not be so simple. From the original post it sounded to me like they'd replaced a switch with a similar switch that activated in a different spot, likely not realizing the difference. What actually happened was a proximity sensor was aligned so the shoulder harness would read "Closed" even though it had twice the gap it was supposed to. Seems cut and dry until you see the mechanism. There is a slot that allows for adjustment. You can see where it had been tightened down when it was installed, where it actually was, and then a poo poo-ton of room past that. To my untrained eye, and how much more gap was introduced by moving the sensor, you could probably get that sensor to read closed while the shoulder harness is almost fully open just by loosening two screws and sliding the sensor to a different spot. They could have changed it on purpose, but the screws could just as easily have come loose and then someone just tightened them back up not knowing the significance of what had just happened.

Found a copy of the report in a frame at the bottom of this page, but if you click on it to view it on Scribd, it says its been removed:
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-investigation/

The report rules out mechanical failure which probably would have included the bolt being loose enough to slide around.

I also think it unlikely this was done by the employees to save time closing seats. They still had to be closed almost all the way to trigger the sensor. And it was only done to two of them.

That it was changed on two seats to be about twice as open makes me believe that the modification was intentional to create two "large guest" seats.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 20, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/3UkuFTh.mp4

Did you need something?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://i.imgur.com/ZPNPSv3.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I want to see a gust of wind slam the door shut while the driver is climbing the stairs with a coffee in one hand and a sandwich in the other.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

good stuff, now how many things has to be removed to service the extra motor in case of failure

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zakrello posted:

good stuff, now how many things has to be removed to service the extra motor in case of failure

I would hope it's just an air cylinder and a heavy hinge.

https://i.imgur.com/toE6TVu.mp4

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Powershift posted:

This is actually the correct way to transport propane, if it blows up it wont damage the truck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xakura posted:

This is actually the correct way to transport propane, if it blows up it wont damage the truck

plus there's no static buildup since it's frequently grounded

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r8hm1af5O61vij12m.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r4fo4wSccM1yri6y0.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 20, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zero One posted:

The report rules out mechanical failure which probably would have included the bolt being loose enough to slide around.

I also think it unlikely this was done by the employees to save time closing seats. They still had to be closed almost all the way to trigger the sensor. And it was only done to two of them.

That it was changed on two seats to be about twice as open makes me believe that the modification was intentional to create two "large guest" seats.

The way they worded it makes me think it's possible it was loose at some point in the past but maintenance tightened it back up where it was without properly calibrating the sensor. At that point it's no longer a mechanical issue but a maintenance issue. To be clear: I'd say maybe 20% chance of that, which drops significantly considering the one next to it was also misadjusted and that's a hell of a coincidence if they hadn't done it intentionally to make an overweight section. I don't know how anyone could think it might help close seats faster.

My big takeaway wasn't that the ride operators were innocent, but that the ride is so poorly designed that they really didn't have to do much to kill someone. If your design does away with a standard safety device, in this case the belt that goes between the rider's legs to the shoulder harness, on the basis of "we installed a sensor to check if it's closed", then it should be very difficult to realign in the field. That maintenance guy should have needed a drill or an angle grinder, not an Allen wrench. And even if the only thing holding it in place is "we tightened it up", then there should at least be a cotter pin or safety wire to make sure it doesn't back out on it's own.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 20, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powershift posted:

Congratulations to the lucky couple, may the road ahead of them be bright!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I guess Bobby finally got married

_____!
May 2, 2004

Well at least it stays in it's lane better than most cars I see:q:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hell of a turn signal when it goes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Xakura posted:

It's like a towed decoy. The car that would have rear-ended the pickup instead hits the propane tank and explodes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

The road behind them will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sagebrush posted:

It's like a towed decoy. The car that would have rear-ended the pickup instead hits the propane tank and explodes.

Reactive armor if you will