Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Maga Mouz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Disneyland is in California. Disney World is an entirely different entity in Orlando.

So I guess good job for this lady for outing herself as a conservative social media plant, or simply a dumb cultist too stupid to know where she is

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hazo posted:

Disneyland is in California. Disney World is an entirely different entity in Orlando.
outside the realm of the Disney enthusiast this is a "didn't you mean Frankenstein's monster???" level criticism

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sivart13 posted:

outside the realm of the Disney enthusiast this is a "didn't you mean Frankenstein's monster???" level criticism

Yeah but they're literally standing in front of a giant sign that says "Walt Disney World". I believe that at least people living in central Florida should know that it's not Disneyland.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Man, Vegas strip Mickey really flew all the way to Orlando to do that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hazo posted:

Yes but DeSantis World would be globalism and therefore bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I suppose you’re right, it just bothers my OCD brain knowing it’s dirt that shouldn’t be there.
Just assume it was designed to weather in-situ and you'll be fine.

Sivart13 posted:

It means a lot to us Euro types, because the difference is quite the expensive mistake to make if you book tickets to one and flights to the other.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Final Mixtape - the complete ride music track list
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
"Conga" by Gloria Estefan
"I ran (so far away)" by a Flock of Seagulls
"Disco Inferno" by the Trammps
"One Way or Another" by Blondie
"September" by Earth Wind and Fire

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7088050899238604074

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m looking at booking a 4-5 day trip to WDW next spring and oh boy there is an awful lot to take in. We’ll be traveling with a then-4 and 2 year old, so I may splurge on a hotel with monorail access due to the sheer desire for convenience.

I figure we’ll approach it like our successful recent (and only) trip to visit family in NYC- low amounts of scheduling, mostly simple attractions, ample snacks.

That said, it’s tough to get a handle on what we ‘need’ to do- I don’t want to be stuck in multiple long lines, I do want to have some decent meals, and I have no idea how to spend ‘travel’ half days near the parks.

Also, do they release hotel booking dates on a rolling schedule or in chunks? I’d like to book early but the dates I’m probably going for aren’t available yet.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Room only reservations can be made 499 days in advance, but packages are released typically in summer the year before.

If you're open to working with a travel agent, I'd be happy to help.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

BadSamaritan posted:

I have no idea how to spend ‘travel’ half days near the parks.

I will say, when I went last year with kids aged 7, 9, 11, and 13, the half day getting there was basically a write-off. I'm sure it didn't help that we hit Epcot first, but between the travel and not having adjusted to the heat yet there was no getting them to want to do anything other than eat and go swimming at the hotel.

I also highly recommend expecting to take a mid-day break. We would hit the park at open and then head back to the resort around 1pm. The kids would swim in the pool for a bit while the adults lounged or napped, and then we'd head back around 3 or 4. That seemed to keep them and us much happier and sort of helped us survive through the hottest part of the day.

My wife almost committed multiple homicides when we were in Magic Kingdom and the kids were asking about when they could go back to the hotel to swim.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 19, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we spend our travel day at the resort

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Scruff McGruff posted:

I also highly recommend expecting to take a mid-day break. We would hit the park at open and then head back to the resort around 1pm.

Oh yeah, definitely. Prioritizing naps/quiet time is a big part of why we’re looking to spend the money on a convenient resort hotel. And yeah, I bet the kids would be entirely happy with the pool and a playground.

Braksgirl posted:

Room only reservations can be made 499 days in advance, but packages are released typically in summer the year before.

If you're open to working with a travel agent, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks! We’re still in the initial stages of planning, but I’ll definitely keep this in mind. Traditionally I’ve always done DIY adult vacations, but it seems like there’s minimal downside to using an agent for something like a Disney trip. Should I pm you if/when I’d like to move forward?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yep you can pm me and I’ll give you my contact details!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Braksgirl posted:

Yep you can pm me and I’ll give you my contact details!

Can vouch for Braksgirl, she is awesome :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Face coverings are now fully optional at Walt Disney World including on buses, monorails, and the Skyliner.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Oh, this is still going: https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/politics/florida-disney-special-status/index.html

I had several friends text me worried Disney would "pack up and leave," which I doubt would actually happen.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disney has been trying its hardest to make people stop going to the parks by treating its fans worse and worse. I'm curious what DeSantis's end game is because he isn't going to discourage his supporters from going to the parks any better than genie+, higher ticket prices, and nickel and diming can manage.

Disney fans will always go to the parks. Even the most die hard Maga don't tread on me support the troops fuckwad can't give up the mouse drug if they are already hooked, DeSantis and Florida Republicans be damned.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Face coverings are now fully optional at Walt Disney World including on buses, monorails, and the Skyliner.

Heartbreaking to hear. Hopefully this changes soon. I doubt it, but I still hold out hope they'll shut down again as thousands die every single week.

couldcareless posted:

Disney has been trying its hardest to make people stop going to the parks by treating its fans worse and worse. I'm curious what DeSantis's end game is because he isn't going to discourage his supporters from going to the parks any better than genie+, higher ticket prices, and nickel and diming can manage.

Disney fans will always go to the parks. Even the most die hard Maga don't tread on me support the troops fuckwad can't give up the mouse drug if they are already hooked, DeSantis and Florida Republicans be damned.

I dunno about that last bit. They might stop going until this all dies down, but then they'll go back once they forget. Desantis will not defeat Disney.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

They already weren't requiring masks indoors, when I was there in February it seemed pretty silly that they required masks on buses but not when you're crammed into a line for an hour inside. It's like having a small designated "no peeing" zone in the pool.

It's just a reality that risk of COVID exposure is going to be a thing for everything you do in public for the foreseeable future

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get vaccinated like you do with everything else in life. There will never be COVID Zero and never was going to be from the moment it started. We have a free and extremely effective vaccine and excellent treatment, and it works on immunocompromised people extremely well too!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doronin posted:

Oh, this is still going: https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/politics/florida-disney-special-status/index.html

I had several friends text me worried Disney would "pack up and leave," which I doubt would actually happen.

The Florida Dems actually found a good line of attack on this for once: if you delete the special district, you cancel $2 billion of municipal bond debt and now all the olds in Orange and Osceola County get an extra tax bill of around $2200 next year since someone has to pay it.

(Also that it’s illegal under Florida law to dissolve an active district without a majority vote of residents but when has the law ever mattered to Republicans?)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chitoryu12 posted:

Get vaccinated like you do with everything else in life. There will never be COVID Zero and never was going to be from the moment it started. We have a free and extremely effective vaccine and excellent treatment, and it works on immunocompromised people extremely well too!

The vaccine isn't really extremely effective anymore (since it won't prevent you from catching COVID) unless you hope to just survive. 30% of COVID patients have long COVID, mild COVID can cause permanent brain damage, and there aren't really any "excellent" treatments.

Any way you look at it, ending masking during a pandemic of an airborne illness is negligent. Especially without notice to people currently visiting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alg posted:

The vaccine isn't really extremely effective anymore (since it won't prevent you from catching COVID) unless you hope to just survive. 30% of COVID patients have long COVID, mild COVID can cause permanent brain damage, and there aren't really any "excellent" treatments.

Any way you look at it, ending masking during a pandemic of an airborne illness is negligent. Especially without notice to people currently visiting.

The media is pushing a narrative that vaccines don't work, which isn't true and is discouraging people from getting it. I'm seriously tired of the left horseshoeing themselves around to being antivax. Most "Long COVID" symptoms match any symptom of serious illness, along with general anxiety and other mental health issues, and nobody can actually say you're going to die of a stroke in 30 years because of it.

If you can't enter a building maskless without dying in the spring of 2022, even when vaccinated, you probably couldn't do it ever. I'm tired of catering to doomers who love pre-prints, especially on a forum where we've had goons declaring their plans to suicide because they got an asymptomatic case.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I recently relocated to the LA area got Magic Keys for Disneyland. I never really cared for anything disney and thought it would just be a nice place to go and be outdoors and keep the kids entertained, since we're still not doing much indoors. I didn't expect to be too impressed but my wife is from this area and has a lot of happy memories so I said whatever let's do it.

I love it. The first time we went was in January and I think we've gone every week since then. I think it's fantastic! Recently my behavior has become even more disturbing - at night I watch YouTube videos from channels that do daily DL/DCA updates. Six months ago I didn't know the difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World or what even goes on in either of them, and now I have 4 park reservations coming up in the next month.

Anyway all those yt channels and bloggers and people in the subreddits are often FURIOUS and DISMAYED about how terrible the Disney parks have been lately under the current leadership. Apparently the quality has taken a major dip and the experience is barely worth it anymore. I'm wondering if that's true or if that's something people have always complained about. Kind of like how everyone in New York insists that the city's changed for the worse and become less cool, and the last time it was cool always just happens to be right when they moved there. I can imagine some Disney psycho doing the same thing and thinking that normal progress is killing the spirit of their perfect personal theme park. On the other hand, it does seem like the new CEO is alienating lots of people internally, but I can't be sure how much that could already influence a visitors experience at the parks.

So am I just ignorant of how good it really used to be and foolishly lapping up a strip-mined product, or is the "disney is OVER" thing just overdramatic online dorks?

I know this is the WDW thread but I've seen it said about the experience in both CA and FL so thought it would be worth seeing what you all think.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My thoughts on the difference between 2014 and 2022 are posted above, so I think that it's true in broad terms for WDW. The main thing to remember is that a lot of the people who care enough to "make content" about Disney are both desperate for clicks and also prone to over-reaction. Just take a look at any random AP holder Facebook page to see the kinds of meltdowns people have over the littlest things.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The media is pushing a narrative that vaccines don't work, which isn't true and is discouraging people from getting it. I'm seriously tired of the left horseshoeing themselves around to being antivax. Most "Long COVID" symptoms match any symptom of serious illness, along with general anxiety and other mental health issues, and nobody can actually say you're going to die of a stroke in 30 years because of it.

If you can't enter a building maskless without dying in the spring of 2022, even when vaccinated, you probably couldn't do it ever. I'm tired of catering to doomers who love pre-prints, especially on a forum where we've had goons declaring their plans to suicide because they got an asymptomatic case.

Nobody here is antivax. Nobody who isn't already vaccinated will get it, that's the truth. Nothing is discouraging people from getting vaccinated besides politics and conspiracy theories. The gaslighting and falsehoods, especially from people in positions of power (like the CDC) is the problem. The vaccine is not a cure all, and pretending like its the only way out of the pandemic is dishonest. People don't disable the brakes on their cars because they have airbags. Wearing a mask harms nobody.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alg posted:

Nobody here is antivax. Nobody who isn't already vaccinated will get it, that's the truth. Nothing is discouraging people from getting vaccinated besides politics and conspiracy theories. The gaslighting and falsehoods, especially from people in positions of power (like the CDC) is the problem. The vaccine is not a cure all, and pretending like its the only way out of the pandemic is dishonest. People don't disable the brakes on their cars because they have airbags. Wearing a mask harms nobody.

Then wear a mask

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you can't enter a building unmasked without killing yourself in the spring of 2022, even vaccinated, wear a mask or stay home. I really do not give a poo poo anymore.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
What is wrong with you losers.

First off, someone else wearing a mask is for my own protection and not just their own since it stops their spittle from even making it to me.

Secondly, other people should be able to enjoy the world without fear of dying because of everyone else’s uncaring attitude about the worst pandemic in the world since WWI.

And thirdly, people aren’t just wearing masks to avoid getting themselves sick, but also friends and family members who might be more vulnerable.

Some real loving Scrooge assholes on this forum. “Well if you’re gonna die, go ahead and do it.”

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But don't you get it? They want to go eat corndogs with Mickey without some doomer telling them it could make someone sick. Stop harshing their buzz, maaaaaaan.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm not against mask mandates but that ship has sailed and the chances of the covid situation getting significantly better than it is right now is pretty low, so this is the reality you've got to live in

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nobody is banning masks. It's just not actually a necessity for most people to live normally. You keep wearing one if you want.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We're planning a trip for roughly a month from now. We already have our Disney World tickets bought and days reserved... I'm really hoping they start selling annual passes soon and we can upgrade.

We have a day planned at Busch Gardens, but we want to leave it unbooked until as late as possible so we can pull an audible if need be and change days around. Is Busch Gardens filling up and need to be pre-booked like Disney, or is that one we can do day-of?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Florida Dems actually found a good line of attack on this for once: if you delete the special district, you cancel $2 billion of municipal bond debt and now all the olds in Orange and Osceola County get an extra tax bill of around $2200 next year since someone has to pay it.

(Also that it’s illegal under Florida law to dissolve an active district without a majority vote of residents but when has the law ever mattered to Republicans?)

Good. About time they actually sacked up and came up with something useful.

I was just sitting at a very long doctor's appointment with my daughter and was thinking about just that. The "what if" scenario, and then it occurred to me that the state of Florida would have to assume all the costs of maintaining the infrastructure of an area approximately the size of San Francisco.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Small, ma-and-pa type businesses in the south have absolutely banned masks for well over a year now, which only adds to the viral load in local communities.

Chainclaw posted:

We're planning a trip for roughly a month from now. We already have our Disney World tickets bought and days reserved... I'm really hoping they start selling annual passes soon and we can upgrade.

We have a day planned at Busch Gardens, but we want to leave it unbooked until as late as possible so we can pull an audible if need be and change days around. Is Busch Gardens filling up and need to be pre-booked like Disney, or is that one we can do day-of?

Seaworld stuff isn't pre-book as far as I'm aware. I haven't heard anything about AP starting back up for ages and I kind of assume it'll be fall before it happens.

Doronin posted:

Good. About time they actually sacked up and came up with something useful.

I was just sitting at a very long doctor's appointment with my daughter and was thinking about just that. The "what if" scenario, and then it occurred to me that the state of Florida would have to assume all the costs of maintaining the infrastructure of an area approximately the size of San Francisco.

I hope it's only good news with your tiny one. Desantis probably won't be able to cancel culture RCID. Right-wing morons aren't very good at getting poo poo done and/or if they do, it's usually thrown out again pretty fast.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think it's a good line of attack since aren't both counties Blue leaning counties? So more red meat for the GOP base to inflict hurt on their enemies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Senate already passed the bill. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/florida-senate-passes-bill-strip-disney-special-self-governing-status-rcna25219

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Small, ma-and-pa type businesses in the south have absolutely banned masks for well over a year now, which only adds to the viral load in local communities.

I live in a rural part of deep red Louisiana and I've never seen a business ban masks. I've seen some really lovely signage saying snarky things about wearing masks on small town shops/restaurants, but never anything saying "Don't come in here with a mask on".