Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
finally, someone with some integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hello my name is John Apple I am the iCloud password inspector calling for your annual password checkup!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

to be clear, he called the number that appeared on his phone, that the scammer had just called from. rather than say, looking up the number on the apple dot com website, and calling that.

he is very smart, you see

isn't it possible to spoof a number and have the victim reach you back even if they hang up and dial the spoofed number? something about the connection being kept open. i dunno how phones work.

ie. they could spoof the real apple number, victim goes to apple dot com slash support or whatever and finds the same number, dials back but it's still the scammer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that was an old trick in the landline days but it doesn't work with mobile phones.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

fisting by many posted:

...something about the connection being kept open. i dunno how phones work...

No. Phones don't work like that.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

to be clear, he called the number that appeared on his phone, that the scammer had just called from. rather than say, looking up the number on the apple dot com website, and calling that.

he is very smart, you see

i'm pretty sure he called back the # on caller ID, and it was legitimately an Apple number, and then he waited for the scammers to call him back because his callback obviously wouldn't connect him w/ them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fisting by many posted:

isn't it possible to spoof a number and have the victim reach you back even if they hang up and dial the spoofed number? something about the connection being kept open. i dunno how phones work.

ie. they could spoof the real apple number, victim goes to apple dot com slash support or whatever and finds the same number, dials back but it's still the scammer

i think you're underestimating just how gullible NFT collectors are
https://twitter.com/revive_dom/status/1514783987499077641

so a scammer called him with a spoofed Apple number. he hung up and called the number back, which went to the actual Apple phone system. now that he was satisfied that the number he saw was the real Apple number, he hung up and waited for the scammer to call him back

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

so a scammer called him with a spoofed Apple number. he hung up and called the number back, which went to the actual Apple phone system. now that he was satisfied that the number he saw was the real Apple number, he hung up and waited for the scammer to call him back

i should have known it was that dumb

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

inputfailed posted:

No. Phones don't work like that.

old fashioned landlines do actually work like that. the line is not disconnected until both parties hang up (or some time elapses), so you can hang up on one phone, walk over to another phone on the same line (or yell at the person who the call is for), and continue the call. scammers would play a dial tone over the phone line after they hear you hang up so that you think you're making a new call, but you're actually still on the same call with them.

this doesn't work for mobile phones or any voip-based systems

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

old fashioned landlines do actually work like that. the line is not disconnected until both parties hang up (or some time elapses), so you can hang up on one phone, walk over to another phone on the same line (or yell at the person who the call is for), and continue the call. scammers would play a dial tone over the phone line after they hear you hang up so that you think you're making a new call, but you're actually still on the same call with them.

this doesn't work for mobile phones or any voip-based systems

it was a quirk of the uk phone system where the call wouldn't end until both sides hung up, though the delayed disconnect feature in some other countries meant that a careless victim could get caught in the same way if they didn't leave the phone on hook for 15 or 30 or however many seconds it took to end the call.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fisting by many posted:

*maybe* that might have worked in the days of 1ESS switches where connections were made with physical relays controlled by slow gargantuan 1960s mainframes if that particular trunk line didn't get reused and the call processing software on the control computer thought "oh the call was accidentally dropped" but that's a hell of a stretch

the last 1ESS system went offline in 2017 but was using digital trunking since the late 70s (T1 trunks started being deployed between COs in 1962). 4ESS and 5ESS systems don't use mechanical crossbar switches at all but they do have a delayed disconnect feature that I think you can opt in/out of and have been able to for a while. it wouldn't have worked on pre-computer-controlled crossbar switches either since as soon as the call drops on those the relays disengage and pull the physical connection out

I don't know anything about british telecom/royal mail/whoever the gently caress was in charge of the phone system in the UK in the 70s/80s so it may have worked different there since I know at least they had their own switching systems

e: do landlines still have delayed disconnect enabled by default? I haven't worked on a pure analog system in years

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 20, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zamujasa posted:

so much for 'immutable'

immutable? no
i'm mutable!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

4ESS and 5ESS systems

:fap:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you're a telco nerd like me and you're in the PNW the Connections Museum in Seattle has a couple working AT&T/WE switches that they do tours of. IIRC they have a panel switch, a 1XB, a 5XB, a 3ESS, and a 5ESS all in working condition, and they're restoring a 1ESS.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It definitely did used to work like that for landline connections in the UK although I think it works differently now. when I was a kid my parents' landline phone got called by someone's small child somewhere, who picked up the receiver, dialed the number at random and then wandered off leaving the receiver off the hook. The phone was unusable for a while (however long it took the people at the other house to notice the phone was off the hook and put it back on)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

lol

that guy is a perfect demonstration of why "be your own bank" is not a good model for a whole society. i mean it's not a good model at all, but society has to do its best to cater for wallies like this, so.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I've got the apes
You've got the marks
Let's make lots of money*

You've got the bots
I've got the apes
Let's make lots of money*

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

did anything funny happen with that planned bank run that people mentioned last week, or was it just a wet fart?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

if you're a telco nerd like me and you're in the PNW the Connections Museum in Seattle has a couple working AT&T/WE switches that they do tours of. IIRC they have a panel switch, a 1XB, a 5XB, a 3ESS, and a 5ESS all in working condition, and they're restoring a 1ESS.

that's totally my jam

one of my biggest regrets was having to turn down a summer job as a central office technician when i was in college, i applied online and it took verizon like 2 months to get back to me so by then i already lined up another internship and had to turn them down :(

ive had the chance in a previous job to walk into a few central offices and have even been in some old rear end ex-at&t/lucent labs that have a ton of old cool poo poo humming along

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spankmeister posted:

hello my name is John Apple I am the iCloud password inspector calling for your annual password checkup!

johnny ive apples

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
lol https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?id=scammer-creates-a-fake-site-to-revoke-wallet-permissions

quote:

Scammer creates a fake site to revoke wallet permissions, then pretends there is an OpenSea vulnerability to trick people into using it

Tweet by grantith.eth, reading "HUGE OPENSEA ISSUE You MUST go check on revote.site if you have the OpenSea API allowance, if yes you should revoke for your NFTs! I just lost a $100k Azuki so ALWAYS check and don't make the same mistake. Share it to save someone NFTs.
A tweet falsely claiming an OpenSea vulnerability, linking to a scam permission revocation website
(attribution)
It's not exactly straightforward to revoke wallet permissions once they've been granted, and so many users use a site called revoke.cash to remove permissions in the case of malicious contracts or as a precautionary measure. A clever scammer created a fake website that mimics revoke.cash, called revoke.site, and then used a verified Twitter account to tweet about a "huge OpenSea issue" that they claimed resulted in the loss of a pricey NFT. Hoping that people would panic and try to use the site to revoke permissions, in reality the website runs a script to determine the highest value assets, and then prompts the user to "revoke" permissions for those assets—when in reality, it sets approval for those assets to be transferred to the scammer's wallet. As of the evening of April 7, the wallet had received 13 NFTs, and flipped eight of them for a total profit of 4.9 ETH (~$16,000).

Me on the street corner, yelling "oh no! watch out! there is a problem with the bank and they will lose all your money!" while standing next to a cardboard imitation of an ATM with "bAᴎK" scrawled on it in crayon

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Hammerite posted:

lol https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?id=scammer-creates-a-fake-site-to-revoke-wallet-permissions

Me on the street corner, yelling "oh no! watch out! there is a problem with the bank and they will lose all your money!" while standing next to a cardboard imitation of an ATM with "bAᴎK" scrawled on it in crayon

This is some meta poo poo here. Most people ignore security issues, the crypto community expects security issues so much that this scam becomes possible

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1516789133544411148

happy *checks date* hitlers birthday? oh poo poo

edit: i don't see the emoji on the embed, here's what it looks like

https://twitter.com/nftshare/status/1516719399545315328

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

yikes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pisschrist on a stick.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the entire network runs on :gas:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1516638732975226880

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

was she the attorney who advised him not to publicize it?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 20, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

remember the bitcoin motto: don't trust, verify

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"against the advice of my attorney" is one of those things that if you ever find yourself typing it you should step back and take a long look in the mirror

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"hi i'm an attorney"
"wow, really?"
"yes"

VERIFICATION COMPLETE

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the guy's company is called "Rug Marketing"

i'm sure he won't do any rug pulls

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He would never even have found out if his Discord hadn't asked for proof.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

was she the attourney who advised him not to publicize it?

I want to believe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao nonconsentual findomming

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

she put esq. after her name, she had to be legit!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i remember when the height of crypto crimes was someone walking in on camera and stealing that laptop during bruce wagners bitcoin-convention

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
now there's apes involved i hear???

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Qwertycoatl posted:

did anything funny happen with that planned bank run that people mentioned last week, or was it just a wet fart?

the banks just blocked withdrawing entirely when it was supposed to be happening and apparently everyone just shrugged and accepted that as a normal thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

look in real life bank runs are bad because the banks don't physically have 1:1 every dollar that's in someone's bank account on hand

with bitcoin though everything's blockchain and trustless and pier to peer so fractional reserve banking can't happen, but we still can't allow a bank run because