Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I finally pulled the trigger on the anova precision oven and can't wait to give it a few test runs. Love the idea of consolidating a few kitchen tools down into one as well.

Any advice from goons on knock out of the park applications for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

qutius posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on the anova precision oven and can't wait to give it a few test runs. Love the idea of consolidating a few kitchen tools down into one as well.

Bread (any kind of baked good, really) works really well. The steam really makes the crust come out fantastic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does the above do (or does it even try) with normal non steam oven cooking? Can it do convection baking or roasting?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How does the above do (or does it even try) with normal non steam oven cooking? Can it do convection baking or roasting?

Yes.
It does pure steam, steam+convection, roasting, broiling, proofing, traditional baking, air frying, bagless SV, and dehydration.

Being able to SV a roast and sear/finish in the same tool is great.
To be honest i use it more than my under-range oven since it's faster to pre-heat, and rarely am i cooking something big enough to need the cubic volume of the main oven.

qutius posted:

The chicken and rice bake in the app/recipes is in the weekly rotation for our house. (Use the recipe as an outline, swap in your own flavors)

Anova ALSO went and dropped a $Reasonable Chamber Vacuum too!
https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Edit: The black pepper chicken is pretty good, the air fried chicken nuggets are pretty good, i made some wonderful bagels recently, and haven't tried french bread/sourdough/artisan loaves yet.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 20, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I have a Breville smart oven that I use daily, so iI would want something that takes the place of that and more. Very interesting.

And that chamber vac has me trying to resist reaching for my credit card.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thanks. I have a Breville smart oven that I use daily, so iI would want something that takes the place of that and more. Very interesting.

It replaced my toaster oven as well.
They say it can also make toast, but i haven't tried.
Do note, it is a 1500W appliance, and will need its own 15-20A circuit.

I too am trying not to further heat up my smoldering credit card on the chamber vac.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ordered the chamber vac. Been planning on getting one for a long time but a thousand bucks for a VP215 is pretty steep.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's too bad the Anova oven is a countertop model.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can someone with an APO speak to how it works sous viding stuff that is bagged? Like I see that as something they advertise for you to do I just wonder about how well it works circulating 100% humidity air vs the regular way circulating water. Does it take longer?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Can someone with an APO speak to how it works sous viding stuff that is bagged? Like I see that as something they advertise for you to do I just wonder about how well it works circulating 100% humidity air vs the regular way circulating water. Does it take longer?

You don't bag things in the APO. You put it on the rack, insert the probe, and set the temp and 100% steam.
Cook times have been similar or sometimes faster than in the bag because the food itself is probed instead of "bagged item in puddle of water, let swim for X time to ensure doneness at Y thickness"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They specifically mention "with or without bags" so I assume there's some reason they think you still might want to bag like maybe marinating while it cooks or something.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe if you're doing confit or something, but definitely faster:

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

I'm in the same boat as you. I think once my Smart Oven craps out (it's showing no signs of any issues) I'll get the Anova one.

I had no idea they made a chamber vac. $350 sure beats $1000+ I'll wait for some reviews to come in, then probably jump on it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

they just launched it on the 12th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhsoXUBmv4

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Thanks for the info y'all, the oven is shipping super fast and should be in hand by the weekend. Looking forward to getting started!

Jeoh posted:

It's too bad the Anova oven is a countertop model.

Why?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

A friend has one on order. Going to wait for that to arrive and get his take on it before grabbing one too. It might be a tad small, but drat the price is great

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

qutius posted:

Thanks for the info y'all, the oven is shipping super fast and should be in hand by the weekend. Looking forward to getting started!

Why?

Not everyone has room on a countertop for one. I know it wouldn't fit on mine, but I would have less issues if I could install it into the cabinet space like a wall oven. And no, I don't have a microwave that it could replace. I've had kitchens where I could barely fit a coffee maker and toaster, much less another countertop appliance.

Personally, I'd settle for an oven with steam injection that has more than three qualified repair persons on the continent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qutius posted:

A friend has one on order. Going to wait for that to arrive and get his take on it before grabbing one too. It might be a tad small, but drat the price is great

Yeah I wouldn't mind if it's a little bigger but based off the bag size that comes with it and eyeballing the depth I think it'll be okay for what I'll use it for.

I think long term reliability is probably going to the biggest question and we won't know much about that for a while.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Love that Anova's making previously out-of-reach appliances affordable. Next they need to make an affordable espresso machine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
How the gently caress are the shipping logistics of the globe unforseen. early 2020 sure. Even early 2021.

Hope you get your gadget soon tho! Excited to hear how it performs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sterster posted:

How the gently caress are the shipping logistics of the globe unforseen. early 2020 sure. Even early 2021.

Hope you get your gadget soon tho! Excited to hear how it performs

The port congestion in Shanghai is over 500 ships right now and was half of that two months ago

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

The port congestion in Shanghai is over 500 ships right now and was half of that two months ago

drat. I was unaware of the 'new' cluster-fuckery of the shipping industry currently going on. I knew things were bad but figured it all was clearing up now. Guess I can blame my break from the news/socials for this one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Well it's gonna be a while for the chamber vac but my APO is out for delivery already, apparently they have a distribution hub here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's here.

This thing is huge.

What do I cook first?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I still can’t get my APO to connect to the app, but it’s a decent little oven anyway!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big oven.

I couldn't get mine to connect until I went into my router and shut off 5 GHz so it only had 2.4 GHz to connect to.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's here.

This thing is huge.

What do I cook first?

The chicken rice or the french toast tomorrow morning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I think I'm gonna do the chicken rice.

Are they any accessories I'm probably going to want like an extra pan or anything?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

The chicken rice or the french toast tomorrow morning.

I find that when I do French toast in the APO I use much closer to one egg per bread slice than half an egg as the recipes suggest. I also try to use the thick bread from the Japanese grocery nearby.

Gonna try the chicken rice this week. If I didn’t have frozen peas and carrots what veg do y’all like with this?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah I think I'm gonna do the chicken rice.

Are they any accessories I'm probably going to want like an extra pan or anything?

They have a broiler pan, but I have a not quite 1/2 not quite 1/4 pan cookie rack that fits the pan just fine.

Oh oh oh oh!

When you decsale, follow the water amounts (1qt) exactly.

I thought once I rinsed the tank I could refill it completely for the rinse cycle and use after, but it'll just keep running and I overflowed the pan and got water everywhere.

For the chicken rice veg question: I usually just do onion/garlic/citrus and make a side veg or spinach salad. Roasted broccoli is always a winner imo.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 23, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sous vide oven makes pretty good bread.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sous vide oven makes pretty good bread.

Nice Technivorm

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I need to defrost an entire chicken so I can brine it before roasting it. I know its pretty common to defrost things with a sous vide but an entire chicken seems like it might go differently? Can I just dump it in room temp water and let it circulate for half an hour or should I put some ice in there or something? Seemed like conflicting advice on if it needs to be a circulating ice bath or not

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

APO 10% off now. Emailed Anova CS to ask if they’d price match and they did and they refunded the 10% to me already.

“Sous vide” some egg bites this morning they turned out great.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

APO 10% off now. Emailed Anova CS to ask if they’d price match and they did and they refunded the 10% to me already.

“Sous vide” some egg bites this morning they turned out great.

How much is the "10% off" price? I snagged one for $540 or whatever last night based on this thread (happy Mother's Day, Mrs. Zarin! Happy Father's Day, Zarin! Probably Happy Birthdays too heh)

Guessing that's probably the sale price. Hoping this thing can do some really next-level stuff to a basic BSCB.

. . . I also just signed up for a gym membership. These two things might be related. Time to get huge I guess (one way or the other)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How did you keep the egg bites from sticking? I love them in the APO but they have welded to anything I’ve tried to make them in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zarin posted:

How much is the "10% off" price? I snagged one for $540 or whatever last night based on this thread (happy Mother's Day, Mrs. Zarin! Happy Father's Day, Zarin! Probably Happy Birthdays too heh)

Guessing that's probably the sale price. Hoping this thing can do some really next-level stuff to a basic BSCB.

. . . I also just signed up for a gym membership. These two things might be related. Time to get huge I guess (one way or the other)

Yeah, 540 is the sale price.

re: egg bites, some of it stuck. The fact that the silicone mold lets you push them out from the bottom helps so you only lose maybe 5 or 10 percent to stickage. Not sure if some oil spray would help, the recipe didn't say to do so but I'll probably try it next time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I ordered an Anova Pro because I'm a sucker and couldn't resist 45% off even though it's for something I don't need. I guess now I can sous vide at two different temperatures (three if you count the APO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How much difference is there between a Searzall and a bare blow torch flame? How viable is the latter for searing - is it possible just awkward, or is it totally not viable?