Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Can't be a wuhan times two, wuhan wave killed like 4500 people, this wave + hong kong has killed 10 people or something. Sarcasm aside, China acknowledged deaths from this wave for the first time just 2 days ago:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/19/locked-down-shanghai-reports-seven-more-covid-19-deaths

"The latest victims were aged between 60 and 101 and had not been vaccinated, according to officials."

"Unverified social media posts have claimed Shanghai’s deaths are going unreported, but the messages have been quickly removed from the internet.

"Shanghai health officials said on Sunday that fewer than two-thirds of residents aged above 60 had received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and less than 40 percent had received a booster."

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
actually wuhan times two equals 十汉

because wu could mean five, get it?? ok take me away secret polo shirt police

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's the effects of the lockdowns on China’s manufacturing and global supply chains that's worse than Wuhan, not the number of deaths.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Can't be a wuhan times two, wuhan wave killed like 4500 people, this wave + hong kong has killed 10 people or something. Sarcasm aside, China acknowledged deaths from this wave for the first time just 2 days ago:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/19/locked-down-shanghai-reports-seven-more-covid-19-deaths

"The latest victims were aged between 60 and 101 and had not been vaccinated, according to officials."

"Unverified social media posts have claimed Shanghai’s deaths are going unreported, but the messages have been quickly removed from the internet.

"Shanghai health officials said on Sunday that fewer than two-thirds of residents aged above 60 had received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and less than 40 percent had received a booster."

They could've just ran those deaths as underlying issues like all the rest, but probably ran those deaths as COVID to appease the domestic audience critical of lack of death reporting and also to serve as a warning to elderly unvaccinated citizens to get jabbed.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShiyaLuo/status/1516494015289389058

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Can you just put lamb's blood around the doorframe instead?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
This is killing?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i saw these and a lot more translating 阴 as "vagina" or "vaginal" instead of "negative" a couple days ago but was unable to replicate them in wechat, where they translate mostly correctly for me. IDK if fake or update.

消杀 i sort of believed cuz idk if its new or whatever but its not in any dictionary I have, so I could see a machine doing it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
all the people that are concerned that the usa is going to kill hundreds of thousands of children by sending them to school - China is with u.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1516669369677406208?s=20&t=qtAo1dxUv8SFu-L1SUsezg

bless these little lads

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lookin like little amogus

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/emilyzfeng/status/1516982294518452224?s=21&t=IbA4lT810PAxTvXHVtddcQ

:wtc:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Uber but for the pet squad

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

millions dead, hundreds of millions disabled, 8th wave just starting and this old gently caress is gleefully cheering on a failure to control it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The echo effect added to the kids crying made me lol tbh

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
A great article on how lockdowns affect Chinese gig workers.

https://restofworld.org/2022/china-gig-workers-zero-covid/

One of the people they interview is a food delivery worker who lives in Schenzen. He went out to work one day, learned of the city's lockdown and spent the next 14 days sleeping in an underpass with six other delivery workers because if he went back to his dormitory he would be locked in.

It's especially messed up to me because these people are absolutely essential and during lockdowns are practically city infrastructure.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i am still shakin my head at the dabai bein gig workers

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Today in goddamn loving stupid news, local factory workers protested and broke through community lockdown barriers because they didn't have food.

Sequence of events:
1: Migrant workers work off the books for daily pay.
2: Lockdown, factory closed.
3: All official workers get basic pay, local minimum wage, lovely but livable.
4: All unofficial workers get fuckall.
5: Eventually, out of money and food, the above protest happens.
6: Government theoretically notices, sends in food.

I mean maybe I'm cynical, but there's no way that the local government didn't know what was going on. They just... somehow thought that people would starve quietly?
I guess this is what happens when you ban teaching world history.

Edit: there are actually government contacts people can use to request emergency food, bit migrant workers typically don't know poo poo about that, and certainly no-one goes out of their way to educate them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

Today in goddamn loving stupid news, local factory workers protested and broke through community lockdown barriers because they didn't have food.

Sequence of events:
1: Migrant workers work off the books for daily pay.
2: Lockdown, factory closed.
3: All official workers get basic pay, local minimum wage, lovely but livable.
4: All unofficial workers get fuckall.
5: Eventually, out of money and food, the above protest happens.
6: Government theoretically notices, sends in food.

I mean maybe I'm cynical, but there's no way that the local government didn't know what was going on. They just... somehow thought that people would starve quietly?
I guess this is what happens when you ban teaching world history.

Edit: there are actually government contacts people can use to request emergency food, bit migrant workers typically don't know poo poo about that, and certainly no-one goes out of their way to educate them.

Number 6 puts them above the curve, sadly

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

The Great Autismo! posted:

all the people that are concerned that the usa is going to kill hundreds of thousands of children by sending them to school - China is with u.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1516669369677406208?s=20&t=qtAo1dxUv8SFu-L1SUsezg

bless these little lads

Better City, Better Life™

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Number 6 puts them above the curve, sadly

I was expecting "government send in tanks, massacres 1000s, problem solved"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

millions dead, hundreds of millions disabled, 8th wave just starting and this old gently caress is gleefully cheering on a failure to control it

hundreds of millions disabled?

lmfao you're an idiot

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

China really hosed up by not using foreign vaccines once it was obvious they were superior.

Then again even Britain took a long time to realise "actually the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is poo poo" and that's a far more open society.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

people keep bringing up the vaccines, but they're are pretty much a non-factor right now tho esp in regard to whats happening in shanghai. omicron/ba.2 are still going on with high numbers in every country that went all in on mRNA as well, so if china had used them and somehow been able to produce the ~3 billion doses needed we'd probably be at the same place.

all research and just looking at shanghai rn shows the chinese vaccines are still p good at at least minimizing covid, which has generally been the case for all the non mRNA vaccines (AZ/J&J/Sputnik). the real death number in SH is whatever but if a huge amount of people were super sick and dying in the fangcangs, where people are sharing pics and videos of daily, we'd know.

rn in shanghai and elsewhere the fear is not of getting sick unless you're v old/unvaccinated. the fear is getting put into central quarantine or being unable to go to a hospital to get treatment/medicine for another medical condition you or a family member already has.

unrelated to that but my pengyou quan is unreal rn. people in shanghai have just gone full revolt and are going nonstop reposting a specific video (四月之声)and using an ever evolving set of hashtags to promote stuff. People are and reuploading and reposting nonstop, I've seen a few friends share 5-6 different uploads of it.

They are openly telling people to check quickly, download, and repost while telling the censors "jiayou" for working overtime today. People have superimposed the video in spongebob memes to try and get around the censors as well.

beyond that tons of people are posting videos of chinese leaders from official gov channels and making sarcastically supportive remarks, especially videos from early on when leaders said shanghai would not be locked down.

it's not just my young, more liberal leaning friends either. its 40 and 50 year olds I met at random business events, it's older neighbors I knew just from around where i lived. they don't care any more. the idea now is you cant invite 25million people to tea so theyre just going as blatant as I've ever seen it. it's absolutely the biggest and most direct thing I've seen just criticizing the gov.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sinovac was shown to be probably pretty good after 3+ shots but considerably deficient before that point (according to chinese conducted studies, most notably the recent hong kong study they were publicizing that ostensibly showed a parity between sputnik and mrna vaccines, which I'm taking at face value for this post). That is entirely relevant to china's situation where "About 51% of over 80-year-olds have received two shots and some 20% have gotten boosters, health officials told reporters at a briefing in Beijing Friday."

China's vaccination rate is basically the exact opposite of what you want if you are trying to minimize severe cases/deaths/hospitals being quickly filled

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 23, 2022

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

if you're talking about overall mortality, yes--tho I doubt actual vaccination rates would be any better if they offered foreign vaccines from the start.

But I was talking about how people post about vaccines and say the current lockdowns wouldn't have happened if they'd used foreign vaccines. Given case numbers in every country that did get mRNA early, I think we'd still be seeing lockdowns. The vast majority of people testing positive in Shanghai and Jilin are vaccinated and are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, with many fully recovering at home before the gov even has a chance to bring them to quarantine. The severity of the disease seems to have less to do with the lockdowns than the raw # of people getting positive PCR tests.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
CGTN is getting a little desperate trying to prop up Russia

https://twitter.com/Frontlinestory/status/1517391188906545153

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's not even Yuri or the same game, you rubes. You loving fools.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not even Yuri or the same game, you rubes. You loving fools.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I've never played red alert 2, but just from the context of that tweet the Soviets sound a lot more fun to play (and win) as.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, the best thing about being a villain is that you can ham it up to your heart's content. The actors in RA1/2 were having the time of their lives.

Funny how CGTN doesn't mention Generals or RA3.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rabelais D posted:

I've never played red alert 2, but just from the context of that tweet the Soviets sound a lot more fun to play (and win) as.

https://youtu.be/U_U59u69tys

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That's the far inferior Red Alert 3, IDIOT.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mordja posted:

That's the far inferior Red Alert 3, IDIOT.
Does Red Alert 2 have that cutscene? No?

SPACE.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/comments/u9qxfy/people_in_shanghai_are_crying_and_protesting/

I am sorry posting reddit, just sometimes there are good post out there too.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Zakrello posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/HongKong/comments/u9qxfy/people_in_shanghai_are_crying_and_protesting/

I am sorry posting reddit, just sometimes there are good post out there too.

i have been paid off by the cia to say taiwan #1

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

goongrats very nice

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ailumao posted:

people keep bringing up the vaccines, but they're are pretty much a non-factor right now tho esp in regard to whats happening in shanghai. omicron/ba.2 are still going on with high numbers in every country that went all in on mRNA as well, so if china had used them and somehow been able to produce the ~3 billion doses needed we'd probably be at the same place.

all research and just looking at shanghai rn shows the chinese vaccines are still p good at at least minimizing covid, which has generally been the case for all the non mRNA vaccines (AZ/J&J/Sputnik). the real death number in SH is whatever but if a huge amount of people were super sick and dying in the fangcangs, where people are sharing pics and videos of daily, we'd know.

rn in shanghai and elsewhere the fear is not of getting sick unless you're v old/unvaccinated. the fear is getting put into central quarantine or being unable to go to a hospital to get treatment/medicine for another medical condition you or a family member already has.

unrelated to that but my pengyou quan is unreal rn. people in shanghai have just gone full revolt and are going nonstop reposting a specific video (四月之声)and using an ever evolving set of hashtags to promote stuff. People are and reuploading and reposting nonstop, I've seen a few friends share 5-6 different uploads of it.

They are openly telling people to check quickly, download, and repost while telling the censors "jiayou" for working overtime today. People have superimposed the video in spongebob memes to try and get around the censors as well.

beyond that tons of people are posting videos of chinese leaders from official gov channels and making sarcastically supportive remarks, especially videos from early on when leaders said shanghai would not be locked down.

it's not just my young, more liberal leaning friends either. its 40 and 50 year olds I met at random business events, it's older neighbors I knew just from around where i lived. they don't care any more. the idea now is you cant invite 25million people to tea so theyre just going as blatant as I've ever seen it. it's absolutely the biggest and most direct thing I've seen just criticizing the gov.

I thought my timing of leaving China in 2018 was pretty good but it turns out you loving aced the leaving test to absolute perfection - well done dude

come visit Hawaii, tons of places everyday to practice mandarin lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you don't keep up on the D&D thread, the last 50 or so posts have been...interesting, starting here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=685#post522953592

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"No talking about racism in China unless you have actual official government policy, statements, statistics to back it up. No, your lived experiences don't count."

no_homeless_people_in_china.jpg

EDIT: found the image I was looking for.

Government feelings don't care about your facts!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A lot of people saying 那个 in that video.