Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dog_Meat posted:

Inquisitor Heldane who literally had a face like a horse and for the life of me I can't remember why that was. Possibly reconstructed after some massive wound?

He had the look of his scars exaggerated through cosmetic surgery and ended up looking like a horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I assume most Space Marines look a bit like Nikolai Valuev

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's basically how I picture them. Growing like 3+ feet while you're still a teenager is bound to give you some gigantism side effects.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

I wish they’d pay abnett to write more hams. Maybe it doesn’t work that way idk.

i'd write a ham if i was a writer or had skill or talent

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Now imagine that, but moving faster than an olympic sprinter with the frothing rage of Brock Lesnar wearing a suit made out of tank waving a goddam chainsaw one handed...

There's a lot of MMA fighters who abused the human growth hormone that had inhuman energy and speed for their size and had clear side effects in their features from it. I imagine an astartes is that cranked to one hundred and eleven

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He had the look of his scars exaggerated through cosmetic surgery and ended up looking like a horse:

Should be noted that Heldane's grotesque appearance is from the first Gaunt novel, which is from 1999 and has a fair bit of wack stuff that wouldn't fly in modern lore.

Abnett put Heldane in the Eisenhorn novels a few years later and took the opportunity to come up with a minimum of justification for why he was such a Saturday morning cartoon villain, in both appearance and personality.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Should be noted that Heldane's grotesque appearance is from the first Gaunt novel, which is from 1999 and has a fair bit of wack stuff that wouldn't fly in modern lore.

Abnett put Heldane in the Eisenhorn novels a few years later and took the opportunity to come up with a minimum of justification for why he was such a Saturday morning cartoon villain, in both appearance and personality.

I agree that he ret conned him to be an understandable villain, or at least motivated. But I don't think a radical inquisitor altering his appearance to look like a scary hosed up horse guy particularly flies in the face of current lore.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

the panacea posted:

Also re spoiler from the Abnetticus

I think they're going to be the holy emperor equivalent to Chaos pure demon armies. Trapping fragments of the power of virtuous traits being projected into the ether by humanity and jamming those into some special clones.

Well, it has sure been a long trip from "The Imperium is reactionary fascism on crack and space marines are the steroid-swollen jack boot" to "Um, they're literally angels. Just pure virtue condensed and given form to fight the darkness."

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I mean that's inevitable in the 40k setting where the fascist empire is the only thing keeping humanity from being a client race of the greenskins and literal demons and the ruthless dictator is our last hope.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ehh, kinda. If that's how you write it.

It's not like there's the Tau, or the possibility of a non-dogmatic human faction like the old Interex. Even chaos has some nuance, given how several human societies were chaos-dominated before the great crusade and managed to endure for ages.

But if you write the setting as "listen, it's full adoration of our golden chaos god (who is not a god shut up!) and its inquisitors and golden armies, or Evul wins 5evarr!!", then it's what it is.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The Tau also suck majorly dude, we've gone over this.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm so, so still hoping that the Penitent reveals get used as a major shake-up / third option for Humanity in the tabletop game.

But I have a feeling it won't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sephyr posted:

Well, it has sure been a long trip from "The Imperium is reactionary fascism on crack and space marines are the steroid-swollen jack boot" to "Um, they're literally angels. Just pure virtue condensed and given form to fight the darkness."
You gotta slow your roll here a second and think about what the Imperium considers to be a "virtue".

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Shockeh posted:

I'm so, so still hoping that the Penitent reveals get used as a major shake-up / third option for Humanity in the tabletop game.

But I have a feeling it won't.

That kinda sounds like where they’re taking the Squats, from what I’ve read

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
ADBs Siege book up for pre order on Amazon for mid September

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Waroduce posted:

That's a relief! I heard he was going through a rough patch. Here's hoping it all worked out.

Prepare to witness whatever faction he's focused on lovingly crushed before your eyes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every time i think about the black library i am continually amazed at their ability to somehow get authors to publish on time

it's fuckin magic or something. just everybody whacking stuff out on time

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Sephyr posted:

That's a relief! I heard he was going through a rough patch. Here's hoping it all worked out.

Prepare to witness whatever faction he's focused on lovingly crushed before your eyes.

He made a post in the 40k Lore subreddit a couple days ago. He said he's doing well mentally, but with a new kid and home renovations he hasn't been writing any quicker.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I skimmed through Titandeath by Guy Haley and focused on the parts that interested me. The bulk of the book was focused on the titan fighting at the tail end of the Heresy, but I kind of wish the book had been structured more like The First Heretic and had spent a lot of time following the all-female Legio through their formation and early days. But hey, I do consistently like the way Haley writes.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

euphronius posted:

I bought it based on this . I’ll let you know

And? :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s ok so far

A little pulpy .

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Waroduce posted:

So excited for this. I really need to reread his HH books - they're all incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Garviel Loken sounds like a cool dude. Does he have a satisfying conclusion in the Horus Heresy novels or are we still waiting for a finale because it took them a decade and a half to reach the siege of Terra?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

So Garviel Loken sounds like a cool dude. Does he have a satisfying conclusion in the Horus Heresy novels or are we still waiting for a finale because it took them a decade and a half to reach the siege of Terra?

Afaik he disappears after the first few books and then shows back up in the Siege of Terra. But I've only read the first SoT book so I dunno.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

He reappears via audio drama and eventually rejoins the story, because having ~*exclusive lore*~ was a way to sell audio dramas i guess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God that's depressing. Does his initial appearance have a good conclusion at least so it's not a limbo ending?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yes, Loken's original arc feels like it ended very well for narrative of the Heresy as a whole (or at least the Heresy as it was at first, things have kinda spiralled since the original plans for a five book series of course)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
yeah it's just the middle bit that has dumb issues, like so much else in the horus heresy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Much better now that the assassins are together . Book is engrossing now thank you for the rec

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The novel Tallarn: Ironclad has a side plot about a Vanus assassin named Iaeo that is probably my favorite depiction of anything Assassinorum related and she's one of my favorite characters. Her sheer competence is just great to read.

Frogcroakley
Jun 11, 2021

Ave citizens

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every time i think about the black library i am continually amazed at their ability to somehow get authors to publish on time

it's fuckin magic or something. just everybody whacking stuff out on time

Speaking as one: yep, it's a fucken miracle tbh

I've worked with a few publishers, and I've never known anyone like the BL folks when it comes to scheduling. Considering the number of books they put out relative to the size of their editorial team, it's pretty impressive. And somehow, they manage to be really flexible to personal circumstances, too - when I've had family or mental health stuff crop up, they've really gone out of their way to make things work. Both Nick Kyme and Kate Hamer (my editor on ghazghkull) have really stopped me frying my own mind several times tbqh.

Oh gently caress, you're 100% on the money - that's quite the realisation

OPAONI posted:

I'm here for Robert Rath and Mike Brooks. Nate Crowley is also very good, and I think a poster?

I am indeed, and thank u <3

Frogcroakley fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 21, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just watched Interrogator on WH+ and besides it being pretty awesome it made me wonder if that was the first utterance of "gently caress" by a character in any GW media?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AndyElusive posted:

Just watched Interrogator on WH+ and besides it being pretty awesome it made me wonder if that was the first utterance of "gently caress" by a character in any GW media?

No, they used it once in an older video they made:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

His arc carried over to stories that were audio dramas only, so people like me that hate audio-books have no idea what happened until he popped up much later in the series

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chemtrailologist posted:

He made a post in the 40k Lore subreddit a couple days ago. He said he's doing well mentally, but with a new kid and home renovations he hasn't been writing any quicker.

He's running some RPG/ARG thing on twitter from what I've seen as well.

AndyElusive posted:

There's a surprising number of them in Bloodlines.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 21, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cooked Auto posted:

He's running some RPG/ARG thing on twitter from what I've seen as well.

Also the videogame he's been working on as the lead writer releases in two weeks, so he's been busy and apparently doing well, good for him.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
gently caress is also mentioned in some of the earlier (now) books. Which I only remeber because it was suprising.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Haven't finished it yet but Assassinorium: Kingmaker absolutely rules. Its so good its almost making want to start an Imperial Knights army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

AnEdgelord posted:

Haven't finished it yet but Assassinorium: Kingmaker absolutely rules. Its so good its almost making want to start an Imperial Knights army.

I found it fantastic from start to finish.

Anybody giving John French’s new Sigismund book a chance today? I’m skeptical