Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sonic Dude posted:

I don’t understand why a single charging port is the norm. It’s electricity. Put one on each corner and on the roof, who cares? People consistently fail to park at gas pumps with the tank on the correct side, and this is a problem that electric cars could just solve.

Maybe that’s less feasible (but certainly not impossible) for the crazy-thick DCFC cabling inside the vehicle, but at least put AC charging points all over the place.

cost

i dont wanna pay more for a car because other people are loving dumb as poo poo and can't figure out where the charging point is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

Are there any real disadvantages to just having the charge port at the front of the car? Because that seems like a pretty good location.
Having it on the side at the back of the car just feels like a holdover from ICE cars and i think its pretty weird that even new developed EV platforms are doing it.

I've driven a Leaf in winter quite a bit, sometimes the slushy spray packs around the port and makes it hard to open. Particularly when you go from a milder area with slushy snow, up into a very cold area where it freezes. Due to aero, having it somewhere on the tail would actually be worse.

I guess being in a fender-bender could break it, but that holds true from all sides. If it's just a parking lot bump, you might ruin the lid but you could still charge it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cost

i dont wanna pay more for a car because other people are loving dumb as poo poo and can't figure out where the charging point is

Fun fact: you’re already paying exactly as much as the vehicle manufacturers believe you will, regardless of what actual hardware goes into the design. Pricing is not a margin game, it’s a market tolerance calculation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Fun fact: you’re already paying exactly as much as the vehicle manufacturers believe you will, regardless of what actual hardware goes into the design. Pricing is not a margin game, it’s a market tolerance calculation.

correct and market tolerance is based on features and customer perception of value of those features, so prices will certainly increase as a result.

the market doesn't have individual price discrimination (at least controlled by the manufacturer) so you are paying as much as the vehicle manufacturers believe target consumers will pay for the car, not you specifically.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should just work on wireless car charging, imo.

SAE J2954 was finalized late in 2020, so its already here, but its expensive. One company I found is $3-4,000USD for the charging pad and car adaptor, but that does not include installation for the pad or the vehicle. Pretty sure its going to void your warranty on just about any EV, so have fun.

Its uhhh... Easier to just plug the damned thing in.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

correct and market tolerance is based on features and customer perception of value of those features, so prices will certainly increase as a result.

the market doesn't have individual price discrimination (at least controlled by the manufacturer) so you are paying as much as the vehicle manufacturers believe target consumers will pay for the car, not you specifically.

Eh, I think with discretionary/variable market “adjustments” at the dealership level, we’ve reached the point of late-stage capitalism where you’re paying every cent as much as you will pay for the car, individually. You’re probably correct for a “normal” market, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
To a non-EV-owning observer it seems like a charge port in front of the driver's door would be the most convenient for home charging because it's right there when you're getting in/out of the car regardless of which direction you may have approached from. If I were designing a car I'd then also put one somewhere in the rear passenger quarter to maximize the chances that any given charging cord can reach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Eh, I think with discretionary/variable market “adjustments” at the dealership level, we’ve reached the point of late-stage capitalism where you’re paying every cent as much as you will pay for the car, individually. You’re probably correct for a “normal” market, though.

those ADMs are market variable not individually variable

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Shai-Hulud posted:

Are there any real disadvantages to just having the charge port at the front of the car? Because that seems like a pretty good location.
Having it on the side at the back of the car just feels like a holdover from ICE cars and i think its pretty weird that even new developed EV platforms are doing it.

Backing in is the correct way to park :colbert:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Qwijib0 posted:

Backing in is the correct way to park :colbert:

drat right. Now please convince my wife.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A lot of the Electrify America stations that I've seen kind of assume a front port, their cords are short and I have to back into them to reach the Polestar 2's charging port (rear driver side).

As for a home charger location, it's going to depend on your car. Placing it near the front driver side (in whichever direction you prefer to park in) would cover most of your bases. L2 charging cables are very long so you should be fine in any case

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I've driven a Leaf in winter quite a bit, sometimes the slushy spray packs around the port and makes it hard to open. Particularly when you go from a milder area with slushy snow, up into a very cold area where it freezes. Due to aero, having it somewhere on the tail would actually be worse.

I guess being in a fender-bender could break it, but that holds true from all sides. If it's just a parking lot bump, you might ruin the lid but you could still charge it.

Kias and Hyundais with front charge ports will freeze shut in winter under those circumstances. At least for Norwegians :P

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I really hate the structural column in the middle of my garage, it makes it difficult/impossible to open certain doors. That said, it is the best place to mount the EVSE.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sonic Dude posted:

I don’t understand why a single charging port is the norm. It’s electricity. Put one on each corner and on the roof, who cares? People consistently fail to park at gas pumps with the tank on the correct side, and this is a problem that electric cars could just solve.

Maybe that’s less feasible (but certainly not impossible) for the crazy-thick DCFC cabling inside the vehicle, but at least put AC charging points all over the place.

Grovercar. Plugs everywhere!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This EV supports DP

Dual ports

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't live in some snow covered hellscape so have never had any issues with the front port on my Leaf - because it's still the most common EV most DC chargers are positioned to suit.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I live in a snow covered hellscape, and I believe the Tesla 3 has an air vent that goes to the charge port, because the charger door has never been frozen shut for me even after freezing rain so long as I preheated the car. The Leaf was sometimes problematic, as previously mentioned.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
BMW i7:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

They just have to distinguish their EVs from the rest of their models by adding blue accents.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not sure if the kidneys have bristly nose hair, or are bulging as if it was an iX being squeezed.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MrYenko posted:

SAE J2954 was finalized late in 2020, so its already here, but its expensive. One company I found is $3-4,000USD for the charging pad and car adaptor, but that does not include installation for the pad or the vehicle. Pretty sure its going to void your warranty on just about any EV, so have fun.

Its uhhh... Easier to just plug the damned thing in.

Way too expensive. Just put Scalextric contact strips under the car.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s worth noting that those are for the rear seat passengers. This is a car to be driven around in.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is there a reason the industry has gone with permanent internal batteries you recharge externally vs having a sort of gas station where you drive up, a machine disconnects and removes a depleted battery pack and replaces it with one that had been charging at the station the whole time?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

what they should do is drain a liquid electrolyte and pump fresh stuff back in. I think Gatorade would work. Could refuel just like a gas car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bird with big dick posted:

what they should do is drain a liquid electrolyte and pump fresh stuff back in. I think Gatorade would work. Could refuel just like a gas car.

Brawndo. Drain the depleted electrolyte directly onto a co-located garden.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 20, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too much variation in battery type, shape, and capacity. Tesla probably could have done this since they decided to create their own charging network but I assume that the logistics of completely replacing the battery was too time consuming and error-prone due to differences in layout even between Tesla models

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

those ADMs are market variable not individually variable

They literally are, though. A dealer can adjust or remove those as they see fit, at any time, for any person they want to sell a vehicle to.

Zero One posted:

Grovercar. Plugs everywhere!

They have to all be different shapes. J1772, CCS1, CCS2, CHAdeMO, Magnacharge…

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

xarph posted:

Is there a reason the industry has gone with permanent internal batteries you recharge externally vs having a sort of gas station where you drive up, a machine disconnects and removes a depleted battery pack and replaces it with one that had been charging at the station the whole time?

Short answer: Yes there is a sensible reason for that: Total system throughput over time.

Long answer: Some still haven't quite given it up. Nio are doing battery swaps, they have a few stations going and at least one in Norway. But it is a terrible concept, as this thread one of this thread's grandfathers correctly argued like 7 years ago.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nio's battery swaps seem to be doing pretty well in China but I think that's due to pretty much everyone not having access to charging at home or work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xarph posted:

Standard removable modules that can go in to a passenger car format are a hell of a challenge, so a universal system would be effectively impossible.

Tesla at least originally intended to have the S and X share enough of the undercarriage that they could share battery modules, and they even built a station that could change the battery in a S (though a strong case has been made that this was solely to game California's system and not intended for actual use). Once it became clear that the X platform couldn't just be a S with jacked up suspension they dropped the idea. The 3 and Y put a bunch more nails in that coffin.

It could be doable in the commercial truck world because there's already a lot of standardization as far as chassis dimensions so upfits can be more or less universal, battery modules could likely work within those rules.

bird with big dick posted:

I remember reading about solutions for doing this "just around the corner" for years but I don't think anything has been able to even get in the ballpark of useful in lab testing, much less in a form that could be produced. It would be so drat nice.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Liquid flow batteries are a real interesting idea, I just wonder what happens in a crash or other scenario where the two sides are mixed uncontrolled. Does it just burn and release smoke roughly as toxic as a burning pool of petrol (which would probably be acceptable), or does it light off like hypergolic rocket propellant being both highly toxic and extremely explosive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Liquid flow batteries are a real interesting idea, I just wonder what happens in a crash or other scenario where the two sides are mixed uncontrolled. Does it just burn and release smoke roughly as toxic as a burning pool of petrol (which would probably be acceptable), or does it light off like hypergolic rocket propellant being both highly toxic and extremely explosive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHxSLwswKuY

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Flow batteries are only practical for stationary applications, where you can have huge tanks storing thousands of gallons of electrolyte. They'll never be usable in an automobile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

It could be doable in the commercial truck world because there's already a lot of standardization as far as chassis dimensions so upfits can be more or less universal, battery modules could likely work within those rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...6OjwTr8ELHOBqDE

Dont know if anything more has come from this but they had prototypes out in the wild

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Deteriorata posted:

Flow batteries are only practical for stationary applications, where you can have huge tanks storing thousands of gallons of electrolyte. They'll never be usable in an automobile.

Yeah probably, that is the only application where I've seen flow batteries seriously mentioned. Plenty of power utilities already handle volatile materials (coal, gas, nuclear) so it wouldn't be anything particularly new to them, and if they are high capacity and high cycle life then it would just make sense to utilize them for grid storage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'm picturing that screen sluggishly transitioning full seconds after the user swipes it

user taps a button and spotify stutters and jerks into view

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

They literally are, though. A dealer can adjust or remove those as they see fit, at any time, for any person they want to sell a vehicle to.

lol if you think dealers are doing anything other than slapping an ADM on the window sticker

like dealer vehicle pricing is one of the least sophisticated pieces of nonsense in an antiquated and stupid industry

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So BWW hired Xzibit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should just work on wireless car charging, imo.

What I was gonna say. Can’t fuckin wait to just pull into a parking spot and walk back after my errands to a nice increase in battery %