Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Not really, but that's also content that's incredibly hard to make without a preexisting rapport with wizards, something that's hard for a newer content creator to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/streets-of-new-capenna-commander-decklists-and-previews

All precons' decklists are available for viewing, some really good reprints in the Obscura set, but interestingly enough some of the sets are without the guild signets that the others have, and two sets having either greaves or swiftfoot boots while the other three have none is also strange. I guess I'm used to seeing that sort of parity across the sets themselves, but the Cabretti only having Eight artifacts seems like a huge glaring omission. Riviteers have seven, and just from casual glances looks to be the weakest of the five.

I find all of the decks pretty disappointing. The reprint equity is trash, the manabases are still really bad, and a bunch of them actually completely whiff the commander's theme, which itself is just damning.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

I find all of the decks pretty disappointing. The reprint equity is trash, the manabases are still really bad, and a bunch of them actually completely whiff the commander's theme, which itself is just damning.

I think this is intentional, I've been thinking about why the precons are usually so bad, and I think it's just Wizards wanting you to get in and get excited about the commander and then realize you need to make a lot of changes and hence buy new cards. Most precons have a main them and 1-2 sub themes too, which in a way is nice, because there's often different ways you could go with a given commander, but in terms of playing them out of the box it's pretty aggravating.

Also the card quality is so inconsistent that playing precons is not fun at all IMO. We played all precons for a Saturday and virtually every game came down to topdecking one of the better cards in the deck.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

What is commander content that you’d like to see exist? Been thinking a lot about Josh Lee Kwai’s advice and takes on current commander content and I’m really interested in making more cEDH content and pivoting away from deck techs. I agree with Josh that they are fun to make, like a little diary entry about a deck you like, but that content has a shelf life and a built in limitation on audience engagement. I’d be much happier making content about how to play, how to brew, how to explore and attack different metas, etc. there are now like 50+ commander content creators pumping out Deck Tech/Gameplay/ Dexk Tech/Gameplay/Deck Tech and I want to foster more widespread discussion instead of just making the same content as everyone else.

"Who's the beatdown" adapted to EDH would be a solid video I think. It's such an important concept in reading the board state and analyzing threats.

Another angle would be the intersection of strategy vulnerabilities with premier stax/silver bullet cards. Looking at the meta and saying Deck X can't win through Rule of Law or graveyard hate, and Deck Y shuts down with Null Rod and Deck Z loses if you remove a critical combo piece. Knowing deck strengths and weaknesses is critical in choosing a deck for a metagame, analysis of what unique things a deck brings to the table, and figuring out the best lines of play when you shuffle up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Yeah I'm sort of in the same boat on viewing these. It's especially disappointing with the 11% increase in price that's starting on these going forward. I can see PARTS of the decks that would be fun and interesting to utilize but find less and less rush to go and grab all five like I did with Strixhaven, or the AFR ones as well if they're just going to keep increasing the cost to purchase even one it eventually just makes buying one a moot point when if you wanted to you could buy singles and make one of your own choosing or if your collection is deep enough craft it out from the cards you already have.

Bust Rodd posted:

What is commander content that you’d like to see exist? Been thinking a lot about Josh Lee Kwai’s advice and takes on current commander content and I’m really interested in making more cEDH content and pivoting away from deck techs. I agree with Josh that they are fun to make, like a little diary entry about a deck you like, but that content has a shelf life and a built in limitation on audience engagement. I’d be much happier making content about how to play, how to brew, how to explore and attack different metas, etc. there are now like 50+ commander content creators pumping out Deck Tech/Gameplay/ Dexk Tech/Gameplay/Deck Tech and I want to foster more widespread discussion instead of just making the same content as everyone else.

That's difficult to say, I've never been a cEDH guy. I like my jank and trying to find cards from Ice Age block that can be broken now with new cards. I do enjoy deck techs that have varying range of budgets just to see content creators perspectives on how they approach the theme of the decks themselves, Commander Mechanic, Command Zone, Nitpicking Nerds, Mtggoldfish, even sometimes Commanders Quarters. I mean Prof always does a good break down of each set's precon viability stacked against previous ones using metrics of past reprint value and current cost.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 20, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Infinite Karma posted:

"Who's the beatdown" adapted to EDH would be a solid video I think. It's such an important concept in reading the board state and analyzing threats.

Another angle would be the intersection of strategy vulnerabilities with premier stax/silver bullet cards. Looking at the meta and saying Deck X can't win through Rule of Law or graveyard hate, and Deck Y shuts down with Null Rod and Deck Z loses if you remove a critical combo piece. Knowing deck strengths and weaknesses is critical in choosing a deck for a metagame, analysis of what unique things a deck brings to the table, and figuring out the best lines of play when you shuffle up.

Both of these recommendations, particularly the second one, would be really good. A combination of the two, like explaining board states that might signal when someone is primed to "go off", would also be useful.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Bust Rodd posted:

What is commander content that you’d like to see exist?

Instead of deck techs for cedh you could do archetype techs. Take stax for example: you could explain it's general place in a meta and then show the pros and cons for different types of stax decks. That along with the earlier mentioned threat assessment video could be cool.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The obvious answer is to train people wrong, as a joke. You talk about stax decks but you have people build those annoying, do-nothing decks that just grind the game to a halt without winning.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

The obvious answer is to train people wrong, as a joke. You talk about stax decks but you have people build those annoying, do-nothing decks that just grind the game to a halt without winning.

So a stax deck

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

So a stax deck

I've posted it before, but this one seems to slow everyone else down while slapping their poo poo.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/oIyygZjHjkSHcQ0hu6wsOA

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNw669QRWk

Prof choosing violence on Wednesday my dudes.......... :unsmigghh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, I looked at some of the precons again and part of the problem, I think, is that they are putting out so much product, that they are literally running out of design space (for the precons).

The one I zeroed in on is the esper rogues one. It's not really esper. There's a tiny white splash, it doesn't have any of the white color pie in it, and you could immediately cut every white card except StP and never feel it.

I tried mapping out how I'd make this deck and the core concept (attacking with a big unblockable dude and his little double-striking evasive buddy) doesn't really work. Esper doesn't have the front-loaded cheap fat to justify it, and the little evasive buddies don't need the double strike.

Then I was like, "ok, let's make esper rogues/ninjas". I got about 5 minutes in before I remembered they just did a UB rogues deck recently and they clearly avoided doing a bunch of shared reprints from that deck because it is probably still on the shelves in a lot of places. Which also explains why this is a terrible deck to even try to release right now, because your focus commander is basically just a rehash of a recent archetype (and the secondary commander in the deck is an overpriced lovely ~~political~~ commander who definitely should have been garbage canned in the design phase).

Add to that that (and I didn't run the numbers), this feels like the most new-set cards jammed into a commander deck I've seen (literally every enchantment, half the spells/artifacts), and there's very little way for you to both squeeze in theme and reprint equity anywhere (you could just reprint good lands and loving TALISMAN OF loving PROGRESS).

I haven't double checked the rest, yet, but this is an underlying design problem. You can't make a deck that's clearly for an archetype you've done in the last 2 years without completely fatiguing the players/market, so you have to print absolute 3rd-string garbage and go way off-theme and then you've shot yourself in the foot.

Additionally, why the gently caress can't I get some non-mythic equipment on-par with Heirloom Blade in terms of raw stats for mana?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like the precon sets kinda blow this time and there's only like one card I want out of them.

It's a drat shame really, because the past year had a handful of really solid, decent precons that I bought because I liked the core idea of them overall and they had some cards I wanted in them... but now I'm hesitant to piece out because I kinda dig 'em.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I used to get the precons because they were fun to have around and took minimal work to theoretically just hand to someone and let them have a good time, but I feel like the last really good one for that is the UB Zombies deck from Midnight hunt. Maybe the vampire one from Crimson vow?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

Add to that that (and I didn't run the numbers), this feels like the most new-set cards jammed into a commander deck I've seen (literally every enchantment, half the spells/artifacts), and there's very little way for you to both squeeze in theme and reprint equity anywhere (you could just reprint good lands and loving TALISMAN OF loving PROGRESS).

I write an article about every precon deck and I've noticed that the % of new cards from that set in each precon has been rising. And most of them are usually junk.

I think you're right, Wizards is Netflixing out so much content that it's just becoming all low quality because there's no design space to explore.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toshimo posted:

So, I looked at some of the precons again and part of the problem, I think, is that they are putting out so much product, that they are literally running out of design space (for the precons).

The one I zeroed in on is the esper rogues one. It's not really esper. There's a tiny white splash, it doesn't have any of the white color pie in it, and you could immediately cut every white card except StP and never feel it.

I tried mapping out how I'd make this deck and the core concept (attacking with a big unblockable dude and his little double-striking evasive buddy) doesn't really work. Esper doesn't have the front-loaded cheap fat to justify it, and the little evasive buddies don't need the double strike.

Then I was like, "ok, let's make esper rogues/ninjas". I got about 5 minutes in before I remembered they just did a UB rogues deck recently and they clearly avoided doing a bunch of shared reprints from that deck because it is probably still on the shelves in a lot of places. Which also explains why this is a terrible deck to even try to release right now, because your focus commander is basically just a rehash of a recent archetype (and the secondary commander in the deck is an overpriced lovely ~~political~~ commander who definitely should have been garbage canned in the design phase).

I haven't double checked the rest, yet, but this is an underlying design problem. You can't make a deck that's clearly for an archetype you've done in the last 2 years without completely fatiguing the players/market, so you have to print absolute 3rd-string garbage and go way off-theme and then you've shot yourself in the foot.

Additionally, why the gently caress can't I get some non-mythic equipment on-par with Heirloom Blade in terms of raw stats for mana?

AFR's Bant Precon last year while heavy on the auras and light on equipment did a pretty decent job in being a decent outline of what it could do. It sort of feels like the precons for this set were done by separate individuals without coming together on stuff like mana rocks reprinted and certain cycles of land reprints. Usually you actually can see a through point through the majority of the precons of the past.

Also that UB precon (Anowon, Ruin Thief) was from Zendikar Rising like what 2 years ago? That was one of the "cheaper" precons they did that year. Out of the box that thing wrecks a ton of poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jiro posted:

AFR's Bant Precon last year while heavy on the auras and light on equipment did a pretty decent job in being a decent outline of what it could do. It sort of feels like the precons for this set were done by separate individuals without coming together on stuff like mana rocks reprinted and certain cycles of land reprints. Usually you actually can see a through point through the majority of the precons of the past.

Also that UB precon (Anowon, Ruin Thief) was from Zendikar Rising like what 2 years ago? That was one of the "cheaper" precons they did that year. Out of the box that thing wrecks a ton of poo poo.

I took Anowon and upgraded it to a Marchesa, the Black Rose rogues tribal and it murders on the reg. With this set I'm so awash in Grixis rogues I may have to build a second deck. I'm fuckin thrilled

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I forgot to yell about how I wanted to do a proliferate thene for the rogue deck because it has connive built in and there's a couple of rouges with counter stuff, and there's some on-hit proliferaters who could double strike real good, but.... They made a counters/proliferate deck in the same set so wtf why did they print this?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjze1xmfaA

SCG playing four of the five precons, I forgot every precon comes with some micro pack of a collector booster, 2 cards in it, I guess that's their justification on charging more for it? Although I'd rather it just be a regular booster pack, or set pack since there's no loving way they'd do a whole collector booster pack.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL in historic unforced errors, Callahan is posting about the “complicated history of Israel & Palestine”

https://twitter.com/callahanishere/status/1516824307686678534?s=21&t=R5mh69nhNqeyRrbSnHC3iQ

LoL

Lmao

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL in historic unforced errors, Callahan is posting about the “complicated history of Israel & Palestine”

https://twitter.com/callahanishere/status/1516824307686678534?s=21&t=R5mh69nhNqeyRrbSnHC3iQ

LoL

Lmao

Lmao

Reminds me of Travis Woo talking about Jews controlling poo poo while he was streaming.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I would like to see another series kinda like Quest for the Janklord that shows off gameplay and has a little bit of ongoing story. I'm surprised there isn't a fictional or true series about a game store, the people who throw cardboard, and the decks they play.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really wish Quest for the Janklord could produce more main series eps faster the Demon commentary during games is so good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CommandSphere/status/1516499523903705092

Welp now you done gone and pissed off Rachel Weeks.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 20, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

I really wish Quest for the Janklord could produce more main series eps faster the Demon commentary during games is so good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CommandSphere/status/1516499523903705092

Welp now you done gone and pissed off Rachel Weeks.

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1516854338123026432

lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL

Lmao

Jesus, I like his Podcast but come on lol. It's so easy to just not post controversial poo poo!

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Putting the new triland in each of the precons is such a nobrainer in terms of balancing out the value they put in those decks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

Putting the new triland in each of the precons is such a nobrainer in terms of balancing out the value they put in those decks.

yeah i'm pretty salty about this. it'd be ONE of the fancy lands and they couldn't even throw that bone? gently caress all the way off :mad:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
People complained about Deflecting Swat et al so now the precons get nothing :colbert: sorry kids

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheLawinator posted:

I didn't expect that since the triomes helped sell Ikoria CE, but I'm confused by three color decks and only one filter land per.

As is, I'm not going to bother until Prime Day when the case is discounted to like $95.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL

Lmao

What is he even talking about? Who are "his players" that are being called out for merely being from Israel?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Presumably it's people involved in the MLC, which was super cool last year and I'm looking forward to this year's. Callahan was instrumental in setting it all up, organizing the players, promoting it, etc

I guess I'm not plugged in to Magic drama enough to know any further details though. Darn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's a guy in the MLC who is from Israel and they put country flags next to player names and people don't want the Israeli flag shown. Apparently people are also talking poo poo about the Israeli player and sending him insane messages.

All Callahan had to do was say "don't send anti-Semitic poo poo to my players, and I'm not hiding any country's flags" but instead he decided to tie his own shoelaces together and smoke a stick of dynamite like a cigar.

But forget all that poo poo, the real question is: Was first picking Najeela a good choice? Every deck has so many blockers now, surely there's a better "best deck," no?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Najeela only needs one player to not have a blocker before she spirals out of control and the players who have blockers suddenly can’t do anything.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IDK, maybe it's just my meta being filled with different flavours of Stax players now, but I feel like the number of free wins I get off of protecting a Derevi and connecting with enough attackers to combo off has dropped significantly. It's part of the reason why I'm surprised Pongo dropped NW for GH entirely, I feel like I never get a chance to hit three players at once unless something screwy happened.

If you're in the position where you're picking first and you're looking for pure deck quality over everything else, I think some flavour of 4c partner naus/hermit is probably better in a vacuum. I guess it's way easier to get lucky and just win for free with Najeela tho, and maybe that's worth it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I finally got to play the Rhoda/Timin Spirit tribal tapdown deck I built in January and it actually did pretty well. I think the key is to not try and get the commanders out too fast since they're both expensive and require some defensive protection.

Blustersquall is goddam amazing in it. Opens up everybody to attacks and makes Rhoda huge for four Mana.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.pcgamer.com/magic-the-gathering-prices-are-going-up

E:

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNw669QRWk

Prof choosing violence on Wednesday my dudes.......... :unsmigghh:

Lmao @ the very start when he talks about banned commanders.

"Grand Arbiter Augistin IV, not banned. What? Why not banned? *clears throat*

Tergrid... too new to be banned."

E2:

Lol, this short was pretty good

https://youtu.be/ebwJ-2RUhGI

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 21, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Treasure has become so ubiquitous that mono-red cedh decks are cutting blood moon effects in favor of other stax pieces.

We are truly living in cursed times.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

Treasure has become so ubiquitous that mono-red cedh decks are cutting blood moon effects in favor of other stax pieces.

We are truly living in cursed times.

The Treasure generators will continue until morale improves

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So fuckin glad I got a copy of it when it was <10 bucks. Didn't hit on much but that sure was a good one.