Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Walls everywhere help and in most cases will save you. At worst they usually delay an attack by a few turns, letting you reinforce. Regional defense armies definitely do not; they cost more than they will save you. What does help is either constantly attacking enemies so they can't attack you or raising an army as soon as you see one coming, then disbanding it asap.

Armies are expensive. Keeping them around doing nothing is a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Anyone ever had problems with the Yin/Yang balance system? The game didn’t register any of the black buildings or techs I was getting but did for the white side. I think I was +13 toward white balance before I just stopped the campaign.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Nash posted:

Anyone ever had problems with the Yin/Yang balance system? The game didn’t register any of the black buildings or techs I was getting but did for the white side. I think I was +13 toward white balance before I just stopped the campaign.

Just in case you were not aware, Lords and heroes generate yins and yangs

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Eh the sieges are so unfun and rosters so limited i can't imagine enjoying a campaign esp late game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ravenfood posted:

Walls everywhere help and in most cases will save you. At worst they usually delay an attack by a few turns, letting you reinforce. Regional defense armies definitely do not; they cost more than they will save you. What does help is either constantly attacking enemies so they can't attack you or raising an army as soon as you see one coming, then disbanding it asap.

Armies are expensive. Keeping them around doing nothing is a waste.

Yeah the purchase price is one thing but the upkeep while you build the others adds up loving quick. Not to mention once the army is done, it costs a shitload just to keep the army going. Which is fine if you don’t have a lot of territory to build up or your growth is way behind.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Twigand Berries posted:

Just in case you were not aware, Lords and heroes generate yins and yangs

Yeah, I took that into account as well. I looked at the counter at the top that shows where the different types are coming from and the numbers just weren’t matching up to what I was actually building and researching. Oh well. Just going to delete the saves and try again with the Iron Dragon instead.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Nash posted:

Yeah, I took that into account as well. I looked at the counter at the top that shows where the different types are coming from and the numbers just weren’t matching up to what I was actually building and researching. Oh well. Just going to delete the saves and try again with the Iron Dragon instead.

There is also a random event that swings it six points one way or another. I think it's designed to allow you to recruit a new army. But you would have to time it to a random event. lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think each soul or two Cathay has stored should get you a "wild" Yin/Yang point.

Kislev can get some Devotion and the demons...no idea. Bonus followers?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 18, 2022

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Is there a realm of Tzeentch map for Kiros? This realm makes me just not want to play. Between having no idea where I'm supposed to go and the AI just straight up playing a completely different game from me makes all this a total chore.

I smashed an Ogre army to pieces, well with like 30% recovery they're back before my garrison is recovered. I attack the AI and they pulled freash dudes out of their little bag of holding. Auto resolve is just totally hosed even on normal. These rebellion armies are like auto resolve super heros because it says 7 units of nurglings gonna dunk on my tier 5 settlement unless I handle things personally, only for me to start the battle at 4x speed and wipe the floor without doing a thing.

How do I increase spell mastery as Kiros? Why would I want to have 19 lords of change in an army when I can make an immortal doom stack from heros who also get loot and traits? Why is my roster so small? It's like 8 units, and the flame thrower dudes are straight booty and might as well not exist. In ambush battle they got slapped so hard by rieksguard that they were wasted slots. My flying Tzeentch knights had one dude stuck in the melee when I told them to flee, so of course the entire unit turns around to die for absolutely no reason. Why does the AI still build endless towers?

I love Tzeentch. I like the lore, looks of units, being able to manipulate things. Why can the high elves do more faction manipulation than me, and better? There's like 2 or 3 things I can do, but the AI can reverse uno them the next turn.

Why the gently caress is the game like this?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that mods have been added. I like playing Cathayan Marienburg. Ally with as many order factions as I can, I took the cap off but don't go overboard - maybe 6-8 allied units instead of the base 4. A celestial guard frontline backed up by imperial artillery, trollhammer torpedos, and waywatchers is a sight to behold.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm playing WH2 currently, since I missed it before and it's got so much content, but these games give me serious border anxiety. As someone who likes to plan conquests to end up with shorter defensible borders in strategy games that isn't really a thing here. Enemies can bypass border cities too easily, roads aren't that important, big open coasts where raiders appear randomly, and there are few terrain chokepoints. Reinforcing every city with walls helps but later even random raiders can overcome them quickly. Do people just accept sometimes that a handful of your cities might be razed before you can respond, or do they position perpetual regional armies so you can get defenders there in time?

I haven't played anyone who gets magic trains or something so I can quickly shuffle around my interior if that's a thing.

Just put walls in every settlement to avoid the AI beelining them. Alternatively park an ambush outside that city for lots of quick coins.

Saying which faction your playing would give us a broader picture. Some factions can happily go tall if thats your thing, bretonnians get free walls in every settlement, orcs shouldn't bother and just raid etc. It depends on where your factions most common + income bonuses in the lord tree and the tech tree are. Mostly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Saying which faction your playing would give us a broader picture. Some factions can happily go tall if thats your thing, bretonnians get free walls in every settlement, orcs shouldn't bother and just raid etc. It depends on where your factions most common + income bonuses in the lord tree and the tech tree are. Mostly.

This is only my second game and I'm playing dwarves (first was high elves which took forever but mostly because ritual stuff).

It seems like I need to hit all my neighbors to get the artifacts so I haven't bothered with much diplomacy and I'm trying to conquer the whole (which seems to be) South American continent. I dunno if it was a bug but last game I couldn't confederate anyone after the first couple so it seems kinda pointless. Maybe it was because I was in a military alliance with all the other elves? They loved me but no confederation.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It sounds like you're playing Thorek Ironbrow? You def want walls in every settlement as the rats can tunnel anywhere. You can also get the artifacts by having an alliance with the faction that owns the settlement, iirc. You can only confederate other Dwarves, and even that can be challenging unless they're badly losing a war.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm playing WH2 currently, since I missed it before and it's got so much content, but these games give me serious border anxiety. As someone who likes to plan conquests to end up with shorter defensible borders in strategy games that isn't really a thing here. Enemies can bypass border cities too easily, roads aren't that important, big open coasts where raiders appear randomly, and there are few terrain chokepoints. Reinforcing every city with walls helps but later even random raiders can overcome them quickly. Do people just accept sometimes that a handful of your cities might be razed before you can respond, or do they position perpetual regional armies so you can get defenders there in time?

I haven't played anyone who gets magic trains or something so I can quickly shuffle around my interior if that's a thing.

Chokepoints exist, you just have to make use of them. Generally your border cities should have walls until you can push the border out far enough. Your big cities should be able to hold on their own. Sometimes it is worth it to create a quick army just to defend a city - pop a lord in there and recruit some of the 'instant' units like Regiments of Renown, or Raise Dead if you're dead, or use Blessed Spawnings as the dinos, or whoever. After the battle is over you can disband or transfer the troops to other armies.

Having a huge expensive army just sitting there doing nothing is usually not worth it because it's going to cost you so much money. At the very least your 'surplus' army should be out raiding or smashing up shipwrecks to get treasure and XP.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is only my second game and I'm playing dwarves (first was high elves which took forever but mostly because ritual stuff).

It seems like I need to hit all my neighbors to get the artifacts so I haven't bothered with much diplomacy and I'm trying to conquer the whole (which seems to be) South American continent. I dunno if it was a bug but last game I couldn't confederate anyone after the first couple so it seems kinda pointless. Maybe it was because I was in a military alliance with all the other elves? They loved me but no confederation.

If you're playing the South American Dorfs, then you don't need to conquer and hold the entire continent.

You have specific objectives, and I believe that conquering or allying with the city that possesses your Magic McGuffins will give it to you. So if it's not a city you can/want to hold, just smash it up and move on. The mountains are pretty good chokepoints unless you're dealing with Rats, who can use the Underway to pop up wherever. Nonetheless, a walled Dorf town should be able to hold off a good many rats unless they bring a lot of artillery.

Enemy rats are bad neighbors, and you should work to exterminate them.

You can only confederate with those of your own species, so for you it is only Dwarfs. The other Dwarfs are out in Africa, so not really worth chasing them down. You can ally with someone and it will give you the Magic Grumpkin or whatever that you need to collect if it is present in their city.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
did they fix the game yet

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Kinda

They changed it so that if you beat a faction at the Forge they lose all their souls, so you can basically take part in the race at your leisure. Also mods are in, so you can turn off a lot of the more annoying features. Still a lot of problems with faction balance, sieges, autoresolve, and so on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I finally finished my Katarin playthrough after giving up on someone modding in her Narnia sled (:negative:) and now I'm thinking of starting up my Good Guy N'kari run.

It looks like as Slaanesh you want negative control. Is it viable to farm rebellions or better to try and stabilise it around the point where you get benefits?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kazzah posted:

Kinda

They changed it so that if you beat a faction at the Forge they lose all their souls, so you can basically take part in the race at your leisure. Also mods are in, so you can turn off a lot of the more annoying features. Still a lot of problems with faction balance, sieges, autoresolve, and so on.

okay cool sounds like it needs a few more months, thank you :cheers:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Ravenfood posted:

I think each soul or two Cathay has stored should get you a "wild" Yin/Yang point.

There's a mod floating around somewhere that gives more wiggle room for perfect harmony, it doesn't have to be dead even you can be a bit over in either yin or yang to count. In addition, I think it gives stronger buffs and maluses for going extreme in either direction so it's viable to just go all out in one if you can deal with the downsides.

For Kislev they definitely need a big jump in bonus followers, like say 50. And in particular winning the follower race should let you CHOOSE if and when to confederate. If Pappy Rasputin is a hosed up mess at the moment it might not be worth bothering, or if it takes too long and you know the confederated lords will have terrible skill choices when you get them. To that end the respec on confederation is really helpful for Katarin/Kostaltyn since you can respec them out.

The one I find a little annoying is Boris as he can only help one other faction or the other but this feels kind of meaningless; the cooldown to give followers is way too long and often when your favored faction wins they've consolidated to the point they're never gonna confederate with you. This also makes it hard to obtain the 3 main cities as Boris, best I've done is gotten Praag as the Ropsmen were still kicking late in the game.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah it blows my mind that when i won the follower race it just loving auto confederated without asking me or warning me so i got a poo poo city behind enemy lines that just got sacked instantly which somehow stole money from my treasury. This never happened in TW2 you always got prompted for similar things and you could hold off like dealing with confederations within the empire. I got a feeling that a lot of the devs don't play the game and have no idea how the gently caress a lot of things work.

What blows my mind is the silence from the devs atm, they must see the low numbers and any loving nitwit would gather that hey the player base is not happy. A single update like hey we're working on IE but it's gonna take awhile more but we realize what's wrong and here's how we're gonna fix it! Instead this silence makes it sound like they don't give a poo poo and they're gonna shove paid DLC in our face because they don't give a poo poo. I used to buy all DLC's day 1 because i wanted to support the game but for once i'm thinking about a long term DLC ban unless they release some really good stuff. I don't think i used even a fraction of the DLC content i paid for haha, with mods i can go without paying for DLC's until they get their heads outta their asses.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
prime example of why bothering to communicate with fans is a mug's game right here, complaining about how devs aren't constantly updating you on what's next days after they made a statement right before work holidays

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

prime example of why bothering to communicate with fans is a mug's game right here, complaining about how devs aren't constantly updating you on what's next days after they made a statement right before work holidays

It was a non-statement punt following a promise to talk about the long awaited roadmap following the patch, which itself was a significant delay over what was initially promised. Yes circumstances changed and in retrospect it's clear that promising to deliver the roadmap shortly after launch was a mistake, and yes of course some fans are being histrionic idiots about the whole thing, but I think CA also needs to stop hanging their community managers out to dry and needs to find a way to manage fan expectations better. Right now they're in a worst of both worlds position of overpromising and underdelivering, but I still think something like Paradox's dev diaries could be a good goal to aspire to once they've figured everything out and development's in a better place, and that instead choosing to create an expectation of silence would be a mistake.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arghy, when are you posting a roadmap for your mod

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Arghy, when are you posting a roadmap for your mod

Definitely gotta see how bad IE is first haha.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Arghy posted:

Definitely gotta see how bad IE is first haha.

ok but don't gently caress with nurgle just because you can't figure them out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I still can't be arsed with this game, even with mods.
Where is the blood patch I thirst

E if they are gonna make blood dlc then they should add some other PG thing as a damage indicator. The game just feels better with blood cause you actually have some idea of when something dealt damage rather than units bouncing around and sometimes getting up and sometimes not

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Some more mod wishlists:

More uses for Devotion. After winning the follower race you're at a point where you can easily get invocations nonstop every ten turns. I kind of find it annoying how Kislev has to do a lot of stuff for the rough equivalent of what Cathay gets for free with compass+harmony buffs. I'd like to see more things you could do with it late game since it accumulates pretty high after you've built all the landmarks and done the Devotion costing research. They also present a rather late game research to give bonus Devotion at a point there's little use for it.

Similarly, more uses for Meat which has a similar problem-mid game it becomes a non-issue and unlike skaven food doesn't really have a way of scaling up. With Skaven late game I could turn ruins into a T5 capital instantly with enough food. But Meat feels scaled for the early game.

Region trading is a nice addition though I wish it was weighed by a few other factors. If an ally has a territory that would complete a province for you they should be more inclined to give it over. Similarly, if you have a territory that the AI needs to finish a province you should get a bonus for giving it over. This can be a win-win for you to get a bad/hostile climate settlement that you can hock to your ally for five figures in gold.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly it would make Cathay much less annoying to play if you could widen the zone that counts as "balanced", from 0 exactly to +/-1, etc etc. Could be techs or high-tier buildings or something. I felt like I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of when all my buildings and researches were gonna complete, etc., and having something to mitigate that would make the faction feel less fussy.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

If an ally has a territory that would complete a province for you they should be more inclined to give it over.

They are. Boris gave my Skrag the region Gossel to complete the marienburg province for absolutely free because we were homies and I've read it stated as such.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Some more mod wishlists:

More uses for Devotion. After winning the follower race you're at a point where you can easily get invocations nonstop every ten turns. I kind of find it annoying how Kislev has to do a lot of stuff for the rough equivalent of what Cathay gets for free with compass+harmony buffs. I'd like to see more things you could do with it late game since it accumulates pretty high after you've built all the landmarks and done the Devotion costing research. They also present a rather late game research to give bonus Devotion at a point there's little use for it.

Similarly, more uses for Meat which has a similar problem-mid game it becomes a non-issue and unlike skaven food doesn't really have a way of scaling up. With Skaven late game I could turn ruins into a T5 capital instantly with enough food. But Meat feels scaled for the early game.

Region trading is a nice addition though I wish it was weighed by a few other factors. If an ally has a territory that would complete a province for you they should be more inclined to give it over. Similarly, if you have a territory that the AI needs to finish a province you should get a bonus for giving it over. This can be a win-win for you to get a bad/hostile climate settlement that you can hock to your ally for five figures in gold.

Kislev just needs the ability to have multiple prayers up at once, bam devotion makes sense to have if you wanna get all 4 prayers going at all times. The AI doesn't get province bonuses so it doesn't care at all and they regularly use global recruitment.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
FYI the meat offering for global recruitment speed is faction wide and stacks.
I'm at the point where it would be hard to lose this campaign and I think the RoC stuff made it easier? This is my first ever total war game. I'm on legendary and not messing up early was tricky but after getting the slaanesh paramore it was easy. Threw money at the chinese to play nice and then everything else was ravaged by the portals to easily colonize.

super addictive game but I don't want to do the chaos realms again

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

crocoDIE monsters :allears:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

originally orger orgies organized organically, organs orgasmed.

then the comet came

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
It's like a scrunt in video game format. Its beautiful

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any way to look at error logs? I'm getting a crash with Khorne that doesn't seem to be clearly related to anything and no error message pops up, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it. No mods at all. Might be something with the map-heavy graphics?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ravenfood posted:

Any way to look at error logs? I'm getting a crash with Khorne that doesn't seem to be clearly related to anything and no error message pops up, so I'm kind of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it. No mods at all. Might be something with the map-heavy graphics?

C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer3\crash_report

Look there. This is assuming your windows install is on the C: drive, change that as well if you've got a non-standard install of Windows. You'll want to check out the .mdmp files, which you need a debugger to be able to read. This is the standard windows one: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2794438990

According to this mod's author, the Kurgan warband mechanic as cathay is currently not working as intended and spawning way too often. Apparently because a developper forgot to edit out some code. The mod is a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That's hilarious because I welcome the current spawns as a free money press. Even ARing every battle on VH. :clint:

I wonder what the odds are that more code is fast and loose regarding AI aggression vs the player.