Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hubbert posted:

happy 420 :shobon:

i bought gas today for $4.199 a gallon :weed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
smoke fossil fuels erryday

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

To be fair you don't HAVE to donate the blood. You could just regularly bleed yourself

What I'm saying is that using leaches to correct your imbalanced humours is back in style

I've known the occasional leach researcher over the years. They actually find their subjects kind of personable and give them names. What I'm saying is: new pets, and PetSmart won't be ripping you off for the food.

otoh capitalism means within 2 months we'd being seeing packs of leach flakes on the shelves, now with RICE AND BLUEBERRIES.

Taking your sick leach to the vet, who advises you to cut back on your intake of Tim Horton's donuts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

Time to start stocking up on leaches!

Hexigrammus posted:

leach researcher

leach flakes

sick leach

what is this madness

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gravid Topiary posted:

what is this madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO9dG6gAiv0

also lol that all three of us spelled leech incorrectly

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Gravid Topiary posted:

what is this madness

the future

grubs is close

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I suspect that was the madness they were referring to

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
brain leeches are everywhere these days

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hubbert posted:

:hmmyes:

and now, for some actual non-mainstream academic content, because this thread has been too happy for too long

thanks for this. super interesting, and I passed it on to various family members

my parents will be like "yep, sad, sorry we're leaving you a lovely planet", my brother will be like "yep, hmm, lots of different models, it's all bad but I am still funding my kid's college", and my sister in law who is absolutely zero crack pinged at all, will probably shrug it off but I suspect the casual ease with which "the end of civilization" is mentioned will give her a weird feeling she can't shake. Also my wife will chew me out for "sending doomer poo poo like that to my sister, yes, it's all happening, yes it's bad, leave the suburbanites ALONE, cabbages!!". gently caress that.

edit: for what it's worth we're also, like my brother, putting money into kid's college funds. I am just super cynical about it and constantly making jokes, internally or not, about how I hope I am able to convert the money into extra soy rations for them after the last universities close

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAMKOREA posted:

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/37175/20220416/hidden-benefit-voluntary-blood-donation-donor-one-talks.htm

Apparently you can reduce your PFAS bloodstream concentration by donating blood. Time to start stocking up on leaches!

Does not letting gay people donate count as eugenics now?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Oh god, more coffee. How embarrassing.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Hubbert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEAuoJRVgE8

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Hubbert posted:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
also that paper makes it sound like the holocene was basically a fluke

if we've engineered an end to the fluke, aren't we just helping nature take its course? :allears:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Us queer people can donate now, just not if we've had non-hetero sex recently. PROGRESS! :allears:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

finally a blood sucking leech that won't evict my rear end

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also people born in Britain. is this one of those dril type situations?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I went to a bunch of trouble to make my garden groundhog proof (I fuckin hate digging ditches) to avoid having to "deal" with them.

Now I can look out and see my sweet garden, and also watch the groundhogs sniff around the fence and get pissed off (it goes down 12" guys, you're not getting under).

Groundhogs are pretty loving cool, I think I prefer them to people even if they're constantly trying to eat all my veggies and loving marijuana. Yes, they eat pot. Wtf.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

the future

grubs is close

from https://www.eatcrickster.com/blog/black-soldier-fly :wink:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hubbert posted:

Hasn't this number been heralded for a long time as "we're hosed if we get to 420"?

I'm expecting even more "it's not that bad yet, we can turn it around" type articles to come.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

*me, duckduckgoing the phrase "needledick the bug fucker"*: whoa! that's not the beecock i remember!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

TACD posted:

lol presumably recipients also get a mystery PFAS cocktail mixed into their life-saving blood but they don’t mention that part
That's their problem :smug: FYDGM

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Erghh posted:

I think this has come up before but

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/57-billion-tons-of-top-soil-have-eroded-in-the-midwest-in-the-last-160-years-180979936/

going to assume the situation is actually far worse/more dire since that's how these things usually work.

Oh we only blew through 12,000 years of generation in 160 years of use, that only means we uh use 75 years per year that doesn't seem uh

Uh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Surely the solution to agricultural problems is just to eat oil.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

kater posted:

Surely the solution to agricultural problems is just to eat oil.

it would actually be much more efficient that turning it into pesticides and fertilizer and farm diesel

or if we all stopped eating animal products, that would help a whole lot too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TACD posted:

lol presumably recipients also get a mystery PFAS cocktail mixed into their life-saving blood but they don’t mention that part

arguably the step then you throw it away so your body is building back blood and plasma. or what you’d expect is a concentration that’s overall similar, though obviously elevated from being closer to the source of all those the burnt plastic air particulates, to the public that in a life saving pinch it’s fine but the receptions should bloodlet/donate once they’ve recovered

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I make paracord bracelets and that usually means melting it at the end of the strings.

I am a plastic elemental.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

watched an episode of not so pretty on hbo last night. the one I saw examined the impacts of exposure to nail polish on Vietnamese salon workers. it’s short and simple, pretty good

https://twitter.com/JaneDoeFilms/status/1516793951654719489?s=20&t=bQ11MZGQYb2VqzKcjVRO3w

it’s cracking some people

https://twitter.com/HotVannaNights/status/1515149441635954700?s=20&t=bQ11MZGQYb2VqzKcjVRO3w

https://twitter.com/anihtek/status/1515014887977766914?s=20&t=bQ11MZGQYb2VqzKcjVRO3w

https://twitter.com/heykmart/status/1515166964808880130?s=20&t=bQ11MZGQYb2VqzKcjVRO3w

https://twitter.com/d_soncasie/status/1515859723639214084?s=20&t=bQ11MZGQYb2VqzKcjVRO3w

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's worth noting that the people in the study were firefighters who were often exposed to fire retardant foam that contained pfas. regular people who aren't exposed to huge doses of pfas on an irregular basis, and instead are exposed to a relatively constant amount in their environment, likely wouldn't see this same benefit unless they paired it with somehow reducing that environmental exposure. Maybe. idk I'm not a doctor

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Apr 21, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/22/chemicals-in-cosmetics-us-restricted-eu posted:

The EU law bans 1,328 chemicals from cosmetics that are known or suspected to cause cancer, genetic mutation, reproductive harm or birth defects. In comparison, the U.S. FDA has only banned or restricted 11 chemicals from cosmetics.

love that no one cares about horrific news that came to light years ago until someone makes a lovely documentary about it that's only available to watch with a premium subscription

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

Cloks posted:

just fyi, i saw this in the times:

if anyone would like some helpful tips about how their individual actions can stop climate change, it's worth a read!

I'm too high for this poo poo :psyduck:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

God Hole posted:

love that no one cares about horrific news that came to light years ago until someone makes a lovely documentary about it that's only available to watch with a premium subscription

the research is done and published but normal people don’t read research and nobody but media corporations see value in funding accessible summaries of what research means to normal people. living in our society sure sucks

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

God Hole posted:

lmao asbestos isn't banned in the US

quote:

Asbestos exposure has long been known to cause deaths and illnesses but the substance is still not banned in the US. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) attempted to do so in 1989 only to be overturned by the federal court following a backlash from manufacturers.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

God Hole posted:

Quite the take but go on champ.

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

Erghh posted:

I think this has come up before but

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/57-billion-tons-of-top-soil-have-eroded-in-the-midwest-in-the-last-160-years-180979936/

quote:

[...] On average, farmed fields were 1.2 feet below the prairie, per Science News. After measuring soil height in each area, the team found that, on average, topsoil is eroding at a rate of 1.9 millimeters per year, Harvest Public Media reports. [...] Rapid erosion is a problem because recovering topsoil is a slow process that takes years. Generating just over an inch of topsoil takes 1,000 years, said Maria-Helena Semedo of the United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organization in 2014.

going to assume the situation is actually far worse/more dire since that's how these things usually work.

So every year we're burning through 75 years of topsoil. Will we run out of topsoil or phosphorous first?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Quite the take but go on champ.

to be clear, i didn't watch the documentary nor do i think it shouldn't have been made. just frustrated lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

lmao asbestos isn't banned in the US

lol backlash from manufacturers.

Like yes, we’re outlawing your whole industry. Did you not diversify? Investment carries inherent risk

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It really does own how many business owners simultaneously believe that they deserve to be rich because they took a risk while also see any time that that risk doesn't pay off as inherently unfair and not what they signed up for

Plus how abstracted "I took a risk" is. If your risk failed the worst that happens to you is that you have to work some lovely wage labor job like the rest of us. That's what you're risking. Maybe your in debt like the millions of people with crippling student loan debt too.

Or there are the people who are to the point where they simply aren't taking a risk anymore. A billionaire buying $500,000 worth of a companies stock isn't taking a risk, they're reducing their risk by diversifying their wealth. Playing a rigged game once is taking a risk, playing a rigged game a thousand times isn't

Sir this is the climate thread, ect. ect.

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

God Hole posted:

to be clear, i didn't watch the documentary nor do i think it shouldn't have been made. just frustrated lol
it annoys me too that information never gets absorbed until someone makes a television about it, but it seems to be a fact of the human brain