Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Landing a T-9 on some random planet, for fun, reminds me we don't have weather or even just dust.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1515441533608239109

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i was trying to remember why i couldnt remember the throttle being hard for that 16000000

then i remembered basically chained it to the desk to anchor it for that reasonlmao

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just did some exploration poo poo and my balance went from 100k to 12.5 million. Okay then, roads to riches really good. I did however cook both my autodocking and my supercruise assist which, being an incredibly new player, was a bit harrowing. I might have overestimated my ability to thread the needle in a decently tight binary system. A whole bunch of other systems were about to break as well.

HJE-Cobra posted:

If you're okay with Facebook poo poo, the Oculus Quest 2 is a great deal for a VR headset. Not only does it work with a PC via USB-C cable, but it also is fully functional as a standalone headset too. It also has inside-out tracking so you don't need to worry about setting up sensors. It's a real good value.

And yeah the game is complicated. If you have problems ask questions. The game is NOT good at communicating information to the player.

I'm looking at a Vive 2 because I'm not doing the facebook poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

Just did some exploration poo poo and my balance went from 100k to 12.5 million. Okay then, roads to riches really good. I did however cook both my autodocking and my supercruise assist which, being an incredibly new player, was a bit harrowing. I might have overestimated my ability to thread the needle in a decently tight binary system. A whole bunch of other systems were about to break as well.

I'm looking at a Vive 2 because I'm not doing the facebook poo poo.

12.8m already? I’m glad Frontier reduced the money grind.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Just picked this up. Really enjoying the chill. Also that Inari site really gets you up and running fast. Did our third session last night and ended it with buying pythons. Not super loving having to fly out of stations manually, anyway to put an advanced flight controller or whatever on a Python?

We're gonna work on outfitting fighters next. What's some fun stuff we can do with a wing of just 2 guys?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah the money grind is not bad these days. If you rank up with a system faction* you can get doable pirate missions in the hundreds of thousands or low millions and get out of your starter sidewinder in a few hours.

*discover that this is even a thing, let alone important

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Trading smrt will net you that in like 1 hours tho lol :/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Or hell I mean, with 96t cargo i was pulling in 6-7 mil per roundtrip, took about 6 - 15 minutes to roundtrip depending on location and distance (inara will send you all over the bubble lol)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

RVT posted:

Just picked this up. Really enjoying the chill. Also that Inari site really gets you up and running fast. Did our third session last night and ended it with buying pythons. Not super loving having to fly out of stations manually, anyway to put an advanced flight controller or whatever on a Python?

We're gonna work on outfitting fighters next. What's some fun stuff we can do with a wing of just 2 guys?

The advanced docking computer can be put on any ship - you can use eddb.io to find a station that sells any given module, but docking computers are pretty common.

In terms of good two player activities, combat is really the only thing that synergizes well with multiple people in my opinion. Some good next goals to work on would be working through the engineer grinds because they direct you through a bunch of different game modes and will get you trying out mining, combat, exploration, and trading. There are a variety of guides to streamline the grind (the goon one is great - is it in the op? If not I'm sure someone will link it) but I'd suggest at least starting off with Elvira martuuk or Felicity farseer and bumbling around a bit before you optimize the mystery out of things. Definitely do look into the optimized routes before you get frustrated with the opacity of the game though!

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
And Join Diamond Frogs, we really can point you in the right direction to get you up and running with whatever path you choose fairly quickly.

We also hand out money like a sugar daddy when the wars are on.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 18, 2022

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

The advanced docking computer can be put on any ship - you can use eddb.io to find a station that sells any given module, but docking computers are pretty common.

In terms of good two player activities, combat is really the only thing that synergizes well with multiple people in my opinion. Some good next goals to work on would be working through the engineer grinds because they direct you through a bunch of different game modes and will get you trying out mining, combat, exploration, and trading. There are a variety of guides to streamline the grind (the goon one is great - is it in the op? If not I'm sure someone will link it) but I'd suggest at least starting off with Elvira martuuk or Felicity farseer and bumbling around a bit before you optimize the mystery out of things. Definitely do look into the optimized routes before you get frustrated with the opacity of the game though!

Oh thanks I'll have to look for a place that sells them then.

For the combat, I've seen market board missions that require combat. And then some are for wings. I assume when a mission is for a "wing" they mean more like 5 or 10 guys and not 2 right? Some of them are enormous. Can we accept the solo type kill missions as a wing, or can we do them together, or split the reward? We want to do some combat, I'm just not really sure how to go about doing it.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Wing missions are doable with two if you have well engineered ships or are really good. If you're more on the getting started side of things, you can either take non wing missions from a given faction against the same other faction, or just do some bounty hunting or combat zones together without specific missions. Low intensity combat zones are good because you have help from NPC ships - they're like fighting in a pitched battle.

Eta - combat zones are pretty tough in vanilla ships. Doing some bounty hunting and taking some non-wing kill missions from/against the same faction and winging up for them is a good place to start. Frogs might be able to point you to places where it makes sense to fight a certain way.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 18, 2022

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Vasudus posted:

Just did some exploration poo poo and my balance went from 100k to 12.5 million.

RVT posted:

For the combat, I've seen market board missions that require combat. And then some are for wings. I assume when a mission is for a "wing" they mean more like 5 or 10 guys and not 2 right? Some of them are enormous. Can we accept the solo type kill missions as a wing, or can we do them together, or split the reward? We want to do some combat, I'm just not really sure how to go about doing it.

If you two are interested in joining Diamond Frogs (in-game goon faction) here's a discord link: https://discord.gg/JnJf2YZGHS. There's no requirements of any kind, you can just hang out and ask questions, there's always someone on-hand to answer them. The game is pretty obtuse about a lot of stuff so we have plenty of guides and can also help new players out with cash injections. We support our in-game faction as it gives direction to end-game players but it's not mandatory.

The caveat is the group's been around a long time and the game tends to make everyone jaded after a while, so it gets kind of bittervetty every now and then (...), we try to keep major bittervetting confined to one channel but it inevitably breaks free and spreads to the others, especially on patch days.

If you don't want to Discord you can look through some of the guides here: https://sites.google.com/view/dflilypad/home, particularly relating to stuff like ship building and engineering - there are a ton of trap choices and a truly staggering quantity of misinformation on the internet at large (never trust anything Elite related on Reddit, for example).

Re. the wing mission question, it depends. In a lot of cases it makes no difference - massacre missions for example are actually easier if they're wing missions as they ask for fewer kills and give higher rewards per kill (don't expect the game to ever make sense). Assassinations are different, they will put you up against a higher class of enemy and it'll be a struggle in an unengineered ship.

Edit: we don't have any Odyssey-related guides up yet, mainly because nobody really cares about feet, but a bunch of our carriers are selling feet-engineering upgrade materials and such. Oh, and one more thing for anyone who isn't in the discord/doesn't check the discord often but likes to help the DF faction: please don't do on-foot combat zones for us, Odyssey settlements are still hugely detrimental to anarchy factions so we don't want them at all!

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 18, 2022

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Tommy the Newt posted:

If you don't want to Discord you can look through some of the guides here: https://sites.google.com/view/dflilypad/home, particularly relating to stuff like ship building and engineering - there are a ton of trap choices and a truly staggering quantity of misinformation on the internet at large (never trust anything Elite related on Reddit, for example).

As a newish player and new wee babby froglet, the frog guides are really great. The one caveat I'd add to the reddit point is that the eliteminers subreddit (the pins and wiki, anyway) is better than the rest of elite reddit and while the frogs would help out on discord if you just wanted to pull up some text to reference as you play we don't have a guide yet. They also don't have a xeno hunting guide but link to the pretty cool looking xeno hunting initiative for that. I am almost engineered right to try my first thargoid fights and I'm pretty excited.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

How bad is the guardian module unlock process?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

in the context of "Elite Dangerous grinds", not terrible, the worst part is the ~1.5kly trip to get to the usual guardian tech farming spot plus the super low amount of obelisk data you can actually carry on you at a time means you're locked into multiple trips if you want "everything"

the good news is unless they changed something since last I played, most of the guardian modules are next to useless so the only stuff really worth going after is like the FSD booster, one or two of the weapons if you want to do xeno fighting, and the fighters for aesthetics

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

in the context of "Elite Dangerous grinds", not terrible, the worst part is the ~1.5kly trip to get to the usual guardian tech farming spot plus the super low amount of obelisk data you can actually carry on you at a time means you're locked into multiple trips if you want "everything"

the good news is unless they changed something since last I played, most of the guardian modules are next to useless so the only stuff really worth going after is like the FSD booster, one or two of the weapons if you want to do xeno fighting, and the fighters for aesthetics

Thanks.

Follow up: is there a good guide somewhere? Additional follow up, can I do it with the fancy new rover?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

There's guides linked at the lily pad which big frog Tommy linked above

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Additional follow up, can I do it with the fancy new rover?

I haven't played with it but the wiki says "no wave scanner or booster jets", so I'm inclined to say "technically yes but maybe bring a couple of each anyways"-- the spawn locations for the guardian poo poo is generally static but if you've never done it at all the wave scanner is helpful to find them in the first place, and I wouldn't want to bet a lot of money on "FDev ensured that all of their surface geometry from previous patches is traversible without jets".

1 of each might be sufficient if you trust that there are fleet carriers nearby to snag repairs/restocks off of, there were more than I could shake a stick at nearby when I was doing it but I don't know what the player population looks like nowadays

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The new rover has enough jump height/driving power to get where it needs to in the ruins, and it handles so much better than the Scarab, but its main gun is dogshit against Guardian sentries. They're too small, you need the Scarab's precision.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that the one aspect of it I would have expected to be better is, in fact, worse, is :frontear: as hell

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Joined the Discord and read some of the Lilypad stuff. Thanks for all that. Doesn't look like I can access most of the Discord yet though. Buddy and I want to start buying and speccing out some medium dedicated combat ships so we can blow some stuff up. From the Lilypad materials, it looks like it's either Alliance Chieftan or Krait Mk II, but the stuff I've read hasn't compared them to each other directly. Other than the Krait being more expensive, any downsides for it against the Cheiftan or other recommendations?

edit - also, it sounds like multi cannons are the go-to once you are engineering stuff. Does that hold for non-engineered weapons too? Any good weapons types to look at / ones to avoid on non-engineered ships?

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 19, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unlocking the FSD booster was one of the few parts of the game I actually found interesting and engaging. It's the closest E:D comes to being a real game so I say enjoy it.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

RVT posted:

Joined the Discord and read some of the Lilypad stuff. Thanks for all that. Doesn't look like I can access most of the Discord yet though.

I can see you but I don't have permissions to let you in. Someone should be along sometime.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

RVT posted:

Joined the Discord and read some of the Lilypad stuff. Thanks for all that. Doesn't look like I can access most of the Discord yet though. Buddy and I want to start buying and speccing out some medium dedicated combat ships so we can blow some stuff up. From the Lilypad materials, it looks like it's either Alliance Chieftan or Krait Mk II, but the stuff I've read hasn't compared them to each other directly. Other than the Krait being more expensive, any downsides for it against the Cheiftan or other recommendations?

edit - also, it sounds like multi cannons are the go-to once you are engineering stuff. Does that hold for non-engineered weapons too? Any good weapons types to look at / ones to avoid on non-engineered ships?

Yeah, if you're unengineered you basically want to put gimballed multicannons in your larger hardpoints, and pulse lasers (either fixed or gimballed) in smaller hardpoints. Never use turrets, they are super bad.

The Krait mk2 is basically a straight upgrade in everything but maneuverability over the Chieftain, and many people consider the Krait mk2 the pinnacle of medium-size PvE combat ships. The Python is also a very comparable good choice to the Krait mk2, and very similar in a lot of ways. The main differences are that the Python can't equip a fighter bay (but that's okay because fighters aren't super effective anyway), and aesthetics.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I kinda disagree about the Krait being a straight upgrade. I would much rather fly a Chieftain in combat, it's a dogfighter and can hold space really well, get better angles on powerplants etc. which is the key to killing things in a reasonable timeframe. It has the most forgiving flight model of the medium ships, rotates fast in all directions and doesn't stall out like the FDL can, for example. (It's also the meta ship for killing Thargoids, but that comes later).

On-paper damage output is not to be ignored though; you do get a bit more gun out of a Krait, but they're a large target and have weak positional thrusters, weak boost, lots of sliding around. Krait is certainly one of the best multirole ships, it can do a little bit of everything reasonably well with a bit of refitting. A Chieftain can only do combat, but it's one of the best ships in the game at that.

It also depends a bit on the kind of flying you want to do, getting the krait would let you just point and hold the trigger down, with minimal power management or fancy footwork, but with less potential to improve.

Try both, they share a lot of modules and are both good in their niche.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 19, 2022

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The Krait is definitely easier to fly if you're brand new to combat. It uses the airplane-like flight model which is worse than the Chief at high skill levels but is a bit more forgiving and easier to control when you start out. Short boost cycle but weak overall boost power makes it a bit easier to not gently caress up and if you boost in the wrong direction it's less of an issue and easier to correct. Plus the huge distro on it means you don't have to be as hot on pip management and it's harder to totally drain the ENG cap and leave you unable to boost. The Chief needs you to pay attention to all your distro caps if you want to keep the shield fed, boost on cooldown and keep shooting.

When you're decently competent though, the things that make the krait good for learning hold you back compared to the chief. The more powerful boost, better verts/lats and faster rotation means you can do so much more with it positionally.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

the chieftain is an absolute joy to fly once you've got the lifter-downer-strafer directional thrusters into your spine

the thing rides 3-dimensional space like a rodeo clown, even if it is less absolute amount of gun and very exposed thrusters once its shields break

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Just wanted to post my HOTAS setup now that I've added my newest addition :D

Pardon the messy desk please!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What does the red button do

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Press the red button regardless.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Press the red button regardless.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
RED BUTTON GOES FASTA :orks:

(it's the boost button)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Button boxes rule

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That's awesome. DIY?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

That's awesome. DIY?

Sadly I'm not that good, I got it from this Etsy seller who makes them custom and who has a LOT of customization options:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomSimControls

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
The first review I see after clicking on that shop is some guy talking about how his peripheral designed with Elite Dangerous in mind works great for him in Star Citizen.

I don't know why but that's really funny to me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
lmao I went to start up the game and in a twist from the usual, it hadn't dropped my bindings, still recognized that I had the same controller plugged in enough to still display them, but wouldn't acknowledge them at all, didn't know what to do with any input whatsoever

I love these developers so much

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

yeah i get that a bunch, usually it's due to turning my pad on halfway through the game booting

the direction controls work, but the face buttons stay inert until i shut the game down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think something explicitly changed in the last 6 months (although whether it's on E:D's end or Steam's end, I don't know), because the fix was "explicitly disable Steam input for Elite Dangerous"-- which made it recognize game pad input again, but because Elite apparently hardcoded bindings to "device fingerprint" at some point it meant that it also didn't recognize it as the same controller anymore

on the plus side find/replacing the device fingerprint in the binds XML file with "XB360 Pad" kicked it back into recognition again, which means my since-2.0 streak of not having lost my bindings is still running strong :toot:

Even got the bindings ported to the steam deck with the same method so double :toot: