Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
carpets before vacuums existed? were they just perpetually disgusting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
You had them taken outside and beaten. For small, light, dry spills,you could also use a Bissell sweeper.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

gleebster posted:

You had them taken outside and beaten. For small, light, dry spills,you could also use a Bissell sweeper.

did carpets that were just part of floors and could not be removed not exist?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
They were nailed down, if they were, with short tacks. They called them carpet tacks.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gleebster posted:

Whoa drat chill man, chill. Your housekeeper will get the soapy bucket, they probably just didn’t know it was carpet day :airquote: :stare:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
they had anteaters that would snuffle along in perfect lines, making the pattern that modern day vacuums make these days.

that's where they got the idea from.

and then one of your servants would clean up behind the anteaters

They don't call them anteater lines for no reason

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Anteaters, ugh. Filthy disgusting animals.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Gleebster the loving carpet historian or something

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

gleebster posted:

You had them taken outside and beaten.

Nowadays they call them rugs

Everyone had beautiful hardwood floors

And sometimes you find an old house with a beautiful hardwood floor covered in a layer of linoleum and then a layer of carpet because carpet was the new awesome poo poo

But it's basically just socks on the floor, covered in toe jam

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they call it a carpet yet it is neither a car nor a pet... how curious

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

gleebster posted:

They were nailed down, if they were, with short tacks. They called them carpet tacks.

How interesting. Thank you, friend.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Probably like this without the modern tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrqLek5OiA

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Too bad your parent didn't beat you like the dirty rug you are op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Very carefully OP

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
You got on your hands and knees and started suckin the floor, OP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just throw a match down once it gets too disgusting. Thanks to thermal resistance your beautiful hardwood floors will remain unharmed and pristine

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
everyone's immune systems were better back then from rubbing dirt and toenail clippings on their open wounds not like now with the vaccines making our immune systems a bunch of pussies :gary:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Houses were just much, much dirtier places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlrbMHLBd4

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Take off your shoes like a proper japanese.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thanks fleebster. op, close thread and i'll file it in the archives in the "how the gently caress do you clean" series

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Rugs made of cloth would generally stand up to being washed in a tub if they were small enough. Bigger ones could be rinsed through in a creek or stream. In Finland and Sweden there is a tradition of washing rag rugs in summer in the nearest lake or river. Some Finnish women used to freshen their rugs at the end of winter by spreading them out on snow, sprinkling more snow on top, then hanging them to dry in sunshine and/or breeze. This continued in some areas until the 1960s.

:getin: Also click below for a crash course in MORE KNOWLEDGE :getin:

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
there must have been some massive loving rugs and carpets in buildings like castles and abbeys. What happened to those?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How did the Joker get his clothes?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:google:

Meanwhile from THE HISTORY OF LAUNDRY:

Washing clothes in the river is still the normal way of doing laundry in many less-developed parts of the world. Even in prosperous parts of the world riverside washing went on well into the 19th century, or longer in rural areas - even when the river was frozen. Stains might be treated at home before being taken to the river. You could take special tools with you to the river to help the work: like a washing bat or a board to scrub on. Washing bats and beetles were also useful for laundering elsewhere, and have been used for centuries, sometimes for smoothing dry cloth too. (See 14th century picture left and 16th century painting above.)

Long thin washing bats are not very different from sticks. Both can be used for moving cloth around as well as for beating the dirt out of it. Doing this with a piece of wood was called possing, and various styles of possers, washing dollies etc. developed as an improvement on plain tree branches. Squarish washing bats could double up as a scrub board. Simple wooden boards can be taken to the riverside, or rocks at the edge of the water may be used as scrubbing surfaces. (The more sophisticated kind of wash board with ridged metal in a wooden frame came later.) Two other techniques for shifting dirt are slapping clothes or trampling with bare feet. (See below left.)

Domestic laundry was often treated like newly woven textiles being "finished". Today we have only vague ideas about how the fabrics in our shop-bought clothes are manufactured, but traditional laundry methods often followed techniques used by weavers, including home weavers.

Soaking laundry in lye, cold or hot, was an important way of tackling white and off-white cloth. It was called bucking, and aimed to whiten as well as cleanse. Coloured fabrics were less usual than today, especially for basic items like sheets and shirts. Ashes and urine were the most important substances for mixing a good "lye". As well as helping to remove stains and encourage a white colour, these act as good de-greasing agents.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

EorayMel posted:

THE HISTORY OF LAUNDRY:

Mods, name change please. Including the colon.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Lmfao at just sprinkling them with leaves instead. Those guys were completely checked out

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the carpet isn't brown because it's never been cleaned, it's brown because i also put tea in it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mozi posted:

the carpet isn't brown because it's never been cleaned, it's brown because i also put tea in it

This draws debris to the surface, which is clearly A Good Thing

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

immensely satisfying, and I could enjoy this sort of work, but it was about 20m too long, lol

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
They would scrub them by hand with bushes and water to which they salts and scented herbs, then they would dry them by rolling a drum with handles, kind of like a lawn roller, full of hot coals over them.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Once it got too dirty they would nail an ant eater to it

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

They hired someone like me to come through in full leather and lick an suck the carpets from wall to wall. Hard as a rock of course

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

blight rhino posted:

they had anteaters that would snuffle along in perfect lines, making the pattern that modern day vacuums make these days.

that's where they got the idea from.

and then one of your servants would clean up behind the anteaters

They don't call them anteater lines for no reason

Before they did the lines on their own you had to crank the anteaters tail up and down to make the thing work like the god damned Flintstones or something.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Why is peacock lady attacking giant sperm?

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Carpets were invented by Big Vacuum to sell their products.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thanks fleebster. op, close thread and i'll file it in the archives in the "how the gently caress do you clean" series

very informative gbs thread like the days of olde

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Roundup Ready posted:

Why is peacock lady attacking giant sperm?
Those little bastards are going to mess up the carpet :mad:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
club soda and some elbow grease, sonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And you have to sprinkle some ants first of else the anteater won't work