Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i played the first two asscreed games, got about halfway through brotherhood and realized i never ever want to play an assassin's creed game again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I’m never buying another open world Ubisoft game.

Even when I get them with a steep discount I only play them for like 15 hours max and say to myself “The gameplay is ok, the world is lifeless, the interface is a god drat mess, and they shoehorned in some stupid rpg mechanic to create an illusion of depth”

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
steep was kinda fun

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
AC: Valhalla and Forza Horizon 4 proved to me that you simply cannot make England's topography interesting to traverse

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Some French game developers have made the most French piece of media ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYnXeHNcBw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lammasu posted:

nah this still looks pretty Japanese

get back to me when an rpg adaptation of Les Triplettes de Belleville or Asterix comes to GamePass

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That combat looks awful. Am I missing something good about it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I bought a refurb Elite 2 Controller and it didn't come with any accessories, including the back paddles. Since I'm too lazy to bother fighting to get said accessories, any recommendations on some good accessory kits, or would pretty much anything on Amazon or wherever be fine?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

text editor posted:

Also, Tunic is about the perfect Game Pass pick-up-and-play game: short but still feels like there's a lot to do, feels fairly polished, not over complex controls that take a while to learn, so easy that they can be described by a nonsensical language and cutesy drawings, doesn't get overly collectathon-y, has mechanics that aren't complex but can be used creatively (like grapple) and has that alternative ending if you can't beat that final boss.

The only real problem is that goddamn mountain door puzzle

That's apparently the "good" ending.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i played the first two asscreed games, got about halfway through brotherhood and realized i never ever want to play an assassin's creed game again

I occasionally go back and play AC4 but past that would never recommend an assassin creed title again because goddamn they got boring

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

This looks low budget as hell.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That’s the new Spiders game isn’t it? Same dudes who did Greedfall, The Technomancer, and Elex.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

That’s the new Spiders game isn’t it? Same dudes who did Greedfall, The Technomancer, and Elex.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

priznat posted:

Yah it is not, it does have a nice feel of it sometimes tho when you are sailing around and the men are singing sea shanties (that you collect!)

Really I just want a new version of Pirates! though with all the humour and such.

My friend it's available backwards compatible as an OG Xbox game. Still plays pretty well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

joylessdivision posted:

My friend it's available backwards compatible as an OG Xbox game. Still plays pretty well.

Oh I know it, I've played the poo poo out of it on almost every platform and want some new mechanics, updated graphics, new minigames etc.. I don't know what exactly just more of similar stuff but still new!

Classic game. Just sailing around the Caribbean is chill as heck (except when the wind keeps pushing you the wrong way nooo)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unreal soundtrack and sound design as well. I still remember all the music and the voices the people had!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Assassin's Creed is one of the best franchises ever and I will continue to play each one and enjoy them while marveling at the awesome landscapes. Never understood why people are so critical of the series. Honestly the weakest AC games to me are Origins and Odyssey because I can't stand randomly rolled loot drops. Valhalla was such a breath of fresh air after four years of loot based gameplay.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ryoga posted:

Assassin's Creed is one of the best franchises ever and I will continue to play each one and enjoy them while marveling at the awesome landscapes. Never understood why people are so critical of the series. Honestly the weakest AC games to me are Origins and Odyssey because I can't stand randomly rolled loot drops. Valhalla was such a breath of fresh air after four years of loot based gameplay.

You're literally a brainlet

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Of the Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla trilogy, Odyssey was definitely the best. Valhalla was mostly a snooze. I played it for 80 hours or whatever but it rarely thrilled me. The ending was pretty bonkers, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ryoga posted:

Some folks ain't happy unless they're kvetching.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tastes differ, I just happen to prefer open world games that require executive function.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even if you want a really brainless game you should get one with at least a personality or something

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If your game has more than 5 minutes of cutscenes or dialog in total, you hosed up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

If your game has more than 5 minutes of cutscenes or dialog in total, you hosed up.

For real

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ColdPie posted:

I'm sure there's some kojima-Stan out there furiously writing an essay response to this.

The real cutscene crime is having in-engine cutscenes that run at 30fps instead of 60fps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah they should run at 24fps

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ColdPie posted:

I'm fine with too many cutscenes but they need to be good.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The best cutscenes are in-engine ones where all the "living breathing world" poo poo starts to interfere, like Roach wandering into and fully obscuring a life & death discussion in Witcher 3 or whatever

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cutscenes are fine if they're badass, which almost all of Kojima directed ones are. You can tell he really wants to make movies by the camera work in all his games.

It's hilarious watching story cutscenes in other games that don't have the same stylistic effort. Horizon cutscenes are particularly awful, just a static camera on an uncanny valley model face with super deep bokeh on the background. Lifeless poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was replaying Mass Effect 1 and it was funny to see a dramatic scene of a ship plunging into a ravine to do a risky drop that was interspersed with scenes of the characters standing in the bridge area shouting their dialogue while standing straight upright and rock still.

Which sounds harsh but like, MGS3 was released by then

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was replaying Mass Effect 1 and it was funny to see a dramatic scene of a ship plunging into a ravine to do a risky drop that was interspersed with scenes of the characters standing in the bridge area shouting their dialogue while standing straight upright and rock still.

Which sounds harsh but like, MGS3 was released by then
The ship has really good artificial gravity because of the "Mass Effect"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't recall any of them being Catholic tho :confused:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

ColdPie posted:

:hmmyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

webmeister posted:

The best cutscenes are in-engine ones where all the "living breathing world" poo poo starts to interfere, like Roach wandering into and fully obscuring a life & death discussion in Witcher 3 or whatever

https://twitter.com/letsgameitout/status/1435640652189081605?lang=en

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

American McGay posted:

Cutscenes are fine if they're badass, which almost all of Kojima directed ones are. You can tell he really wants to make movies by the camera work in all his games.

It's hilarious watching story cutscenes in other games that don't have the same stylistic effort. Horizon cutscenes are particularly awful, just a static camera on an uncanny valley model face with super deep bokeh on the background. Lifeless poo poo.

It's this. So many games are stuffed with the most artless, bland cutscenes. There are titles with nearly 10 hours of this poo poo and none of them do anything remotely cool or memorable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

webmeister posted:

Yakuza Like A Dragon where the background npcs on the street will continuously walk up to the heroes and then immediately nope back out of there,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As someone whose gaming time is precious I get really annoyed when games waste my time especially with unskippable cutscenes. Japanese games are the worst for this, with just a ton of time wasting and faffing about.

Only *I* may choose when to waste my time dammit!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As someone whose time is absolutely worthless, I still hate dumb cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yakuza Like A Dragon where the background npcs on the street will continuously walk up to the heroes and then immediately nope back out of there,

I will swear that I saw an npc nope his way out of shot during a cutscene. Like a perfect "oh gently caress, i'm in the shot!" reaction.