Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hawkperson posted:

What I was gonna say. Can’t fuckin wait to just pull into a parking spot and walk back after my errands to a nice increase in battery %

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Got my I4 today. It's great so far, you all weren't kidding about that instant torque, I had the biggest grin stuck on my face when I merged onto the highway and went from 30-70 in about 3 seconds.

The cockpit is nice, it's cool to not have to plug in my phone to get to CarPlay. The HUD shows the songs in the playlist when you use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel which is super nifty for picking a new song without taking eyes off the road. You can manually change the LED accent colors on the inside trim which my 3 year old thought was the coolest thing.

Rear seat room is about what you'd expect from a sport sedan, the trunk is quite roomy, looks like it would hold more than my wife's Lexus RX.

The ride is incredibly smooth and it attacks the road when you want it to. It can be a little jumpy in sport mode but it's probably just me getting used to it. In comfort mode, it feels great.

Extremely quiet ride too.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Got my I4 today. It's great so far, you all weren't kidding about that instant torque, I had the biggest grin stuck on my face when I merged onto the highway and went from 30-70 in about 3 seconds.

The cockpit is nice, it's cool to not have to plug in my phone to get to CarPlay. The HUD shows the songs in the playlist when you use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel which is super nifty for picking a new song without taking eyes off the road. You can manually change the LED accent colors on the inside trim which my 3 year old thought was the coolest thing.

Rear seat room is about what you'd expect from a sport sedan, the trunk is quite roomy, looks like it would hold more than my wife's Lexus RX.

The ride is incredibly smooth and it attacks the road when you want it to. It can be a little jumpy in sport mode but it's probably just me getting used to it. In comfort mode, it feels great.

Aaaaamazing!! Great color! Congratulations!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

What I was gonna say. Can’t fuckin wait to just pull into a parking spot and walk back after my errands to a nice increase in battery %

I'd like to see more L2 charging spots. They're cheap to build so there's no reason not to have several at the grocery store or the mall. There's an appeal to being able to plug in and walk away for awhile, which you don't get with L3 since it costs extra to just remain parked after charging stops

There's a strip mall near me (with a Target and a Trader's Joe) that has one L2 spot in addition to several L3. The L2 is always taken, I assume by people who think like I do: they want to go do some shopping and come back to more charge. I'm guessing these are drivers who don't have L2 charging at home.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder what an inductive charging pad would be like for a car and how safe would it be

Would you constantly be coming out to roasted small animals/children next to the car

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

QuarkJets posted:

I'd like to see more L2 charging spots. They're cheap to build so there's no reason not to have several at the grocery store or the mall. There's an appeal to being able to plug in and walk away for awhile, which you don't get with L3 since it costs extra to just remain parked after charging stops

There's a strip mall near me (with a Target and a Trader's Joe) that has one L2 spot in addition to several L3. The L2 is always taken, I assume by people who think like I do: they want to go do some shopping and come back to more charge. I'm guessing these are drivers who don't have L2 charging at home.

The mall local to me just put a row of 3.7kW chargers on their top floor parking deck.

People with newer EVs are bitching about how slow they are, but it's as fast as my Leaf can go on AC anyway so I'm happy

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

priznat posted:

I wonder what an inductive charging pad would be like for a car and how safe would it be

Would you constantly be coming out to roasted small animals/children next to the car

Here's an installed system in action : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1gaNO9nj0

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I’m in SoCal and a significant amount of parking structures are starting to have a few L2 chargers on each level. Enough to the point where if I’m in a public structure I’ll check in the usual areas before parking (typically near entrances or on the top level). It’s usually ChargePoint which I find annoyingly expensive but I’ll take it. It is definitely super loving nice driving an electric car around here with so many charging stations.

My work just put in solar panels in their parking lots and I wish they’d take the extra step and put an L2 underneath em but I guess I don’t really have a reason why those belong together other than selfishness and conflation of green energy stuff lol. Let me charge at work, save me like $40/month, come on!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Chevy, sell me my goddamn Bolt, Ford, build me my loving Mach E.

Assholes, I want an EV I don't have to ChaDeMo to visit friends across the water in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...6OjwTr8ELHOBqDE

Dont know if anything more has come from this but they had prototypes out in the wild

I was imagining more of a bottom load setup that could go between and around the framerails, but this setup is pretty smart too. Being forkliftable from the front of the truck means swaps are technically doable with infrastructure that already exists at most places a semi truck might stop, and that even roadside emergency swaps would be doable with nothing more than a Moffett truck. Capacity is of course limited by what can fit under the hood but when you can "refuel" in single digit minutes that's not nearly as much of a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4EbWRDXzZw&t=46s
Timestamped to the swap process.

edit: this looks to be their latest prototype, posted on their Director's personal channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xq246Zy_M

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Congrats, though the current BMW nostrils make me so mad

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Qwijib0 posted:

Backing in is the correct way to park :colbert:

As a professional car parker (father and grandfather had garages in Manhattan, I worked at my dad's when I was in HS) I agree.

We used to park them an inch or so apart by backing in and then climb out the window.

The trick was to check to see if it fit and then only look at your side. I never caused a scratch.

Also I got to drive some cool 1960's and 1970's cars. Lamborghini Espada, Rolls, 240Z, '71 Vette with the 454ci engine.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

xarph posted:

Is there a reason the industry has gone with permanent internal batteries you recharge externally vs having a sort of gas station where you drive up, a machine disconnects and removes a depleted battery pack and replaces it with one that had been charging at the station the whole time?

The calculation was that charging times would improve enough to make that unnecessary and expensive and the Kia EV6 sure comes close.

The battery swap idea was "A Better Place"'s thing and they BK'd. Tesla demoed it too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

OK, this would work for a RV conversion. The question is, will FORD add more battery to these?

(I'd keep the paint and go stealth)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Congrats, though the current BMW nostrils make me so mad

It looks better in person because every modern cell phone camera has a wideview lens that makes it even more bulbous than normal when facing from the front. Don't get me wrong, it is big and in your face, but it feels less pronounced in person. Also, if you like big, in your face design then it's perfect (which is the case for me)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

I was imagining more of a bottom load setup that could go between and around the framerails, but this setup is pretty smart too. Being forkliftable from the front of the truck means swaps are technically doable with infrastructure that already exists at most places a semi truck might stop, and that even roadside emergency swaps would be doable with nothing more than a Moffett truck. Capacity is of course limited by what can fit under the hood but when you can "refuel" in single digit minutes that's not nearly as much of a problem.

Nice concept. But over here at least, trucks are even better suited than cars for charging a fixed battery, because of mandatory driver rest.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ola posted:

Nice concept. But over here at least, trucks are even better suited than cars for charging a fixed battery, because of mandatory driver rest.

That's assuming the truck can drive 11 hours (or whatever the equivalent duty cycle is over there) between charges.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

That's assuming the truck can drive 11 hours (or whatever the equivalent duty cycle is over there) between charges.

11 hours continuous driving is madness. 11 hours continuous rest is the norm here. It's complicated of course, even the simplified version is complicated but the gist of it is being able to drive for 4.5 hours (max continuous), charge for 45 minutes and then drive another 4.5 hours. If that works then boom it's a done deal. It could be that the rules need reforming to fit electrics. For instance what if you get stuck in traffic and your driving time expires before you got to the huge charging station specifically built 4.5 hours out of the big cargo hub? This might in turn have exploitable loop holes which will need handling. As strict as the rules are, trucking is already a lost race down to the very bottom of capitalistic depravity, so if the reform also helps knock that on the head then win-win.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Here's the US:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-service/summary-hours-service-regulations

10 hours continuous rest is also our norm, and you are required to take a break after 8 hours of driving for at least 30 minutes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ola posted:

Yeah the EU 45 minute break changes the math a lot.

In Australia where this company is based they also have mandatory rest, but the implementation is different from yours. Instead of one big break in the middle of the day, they instead require 15 minute breaks every so often adding up to an hour if you were to work a full legal day. This company is actually using that in their marketing, being able to swap the battery within the mandatory break so there's "no downtime". To be able to fully recharge a truck in that time you''d need to be able to average over 3.5 megawatts for the entire charge session. Not impossible but a lot harder than 45 minutes.

American truck drivers can go 8 hours without a break and then have a 30 minute mandatory break before they can drive for another three hours and are then done for the day so the closer it can be to a diesel stop the better for them.

What'll really blow your mind if you think our commercial driver regulations are insane is that if I had the money I could purchase one of these same semi trucks, put a full 53' box trailer behind it, and as long as there was a fridge, cooktop, table, and bed in the trailer I can legally register it as a RV and drive it all over the country with the same license that allows me to drive my Fiesta, with no limits on hours of service, no mandatory inspections, and no stopping at weigh stations.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 21, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

Instead of one big break in the middle of the day, they instead require 15 minute breaks every so often adding up to an hour if you were to work a full legal day. This company is actually using that in their marketing, being able to swap the battery within the mandatory break so there's "no downtime". To be able to fully recharge a truck in that time you''d need to be able to average over 3.5 megawatts for the entire charge session.

But how often is that? That's what decides if you really need 3.5 MW or not, you only need to charge enough to get the truck (inc. margins) to the next place.

e: and yeah that rule is pretty crazy, but I guess you have a more newbie-friendly truck topography, unless loads of people are being killed by idiot truck drivers

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It looks better in person because every modern cell phone camera has a wideview lens that makes it even more bulbous than normal when facing from the front. Don't get me wrong, it is big and in your face, but it feels less pronounced in person. Also, if you like big, in your face design then it's perfect (which is the case for me)

I get it. I just think they peaked with the E39 nose and everything else has been...eh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I get it. I just think they peaked with the E39 nose and everything else has been...eh

Yah E39 M5 is the high point and it’s all been downhill since imo :colbert:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
In my humble opinion, the best model of the vehicle is the one that I own(ed) and all others are inferior

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m personally relieved I never owned an E39 M5 because the maintenance would have put me in the poor house.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In my humble opinion, the best model of the vehicle is the one that I own(ed) and all others are inferior

yeah so the E39 M5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

I’m personally relieved I never owned an E39 M5 because the maintenance would have put me in the poor house.

it's not so much the cost specifically it's the living in fear part

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not so much the cost specifically it's the living in fear part

Lol yes, my brother in law had one and he remarked about that. That was before I knew him though.

I had an E46 325iT and it was delightful and every time I see one I sigh wistfully.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My perception of E39 M5 reliability is warped by the one that I know and have driven being sold to fund an E60 M5. The E60 was sold to fund an F550.

It’s been like watching someone slowly transition from cigarettes to krokodil.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I saw an Ioniq 5 on the road for the first time and it looked real nice. I commute off normal schedules so I've not seen much other than Teslas as far as EEVs go.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm gonna book some demo time on the Beamers. And the Volvo C40. Not that I think I will buy them, but perhaps the next generation or the one after.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

xarph posted:

Is there a reason the industry has gone with permanent internal batteries you recharge externally vs having a sort of gas station where you drive up, a machine disconnects and removes a depleted battery pack and replaces it with one that had been charging at the station the whole time?

Among everything else that goons have mentioned, a couple of major things come to mind:

1) Batteries are big and heavy. They are by far the heaviest and densest part of any EV, and form the core of the vehicle’s structure and mass.

You don’t want that to be moving or flexing or rattling about at all. You don’t want to be pulling it in and out of the vehicle with any frequency. You definitely don’t want to engineer a special structure or frame/rail/etc around the battery that would allow you to do that, never mind design an entire vehicle around it.

You super don’t want to build a global refuel infrastructure that revolves around special equipment to make sliding these batteries in and out of cars/in and out of storage feasible and economical. Also, how do you standardize around all of the many shapes and sizes that cars come in? Or manufacturers for that matter?

2) Different cars have different batteries, with different battery chemistries and voltages and so forth. How does a refuel station stock batteries appropriate for an entire industry? What happens as tech evolves and cars from 2030 have battery tech incompatible with cars from 2020?

3) Batteries are expensive and dangerous. The cost of the battery, its health, its longevity, how its been treated, whether its been tampered with, etc, is all intrinsic to the cost/value/health of a car. How do you decouple batteries as physical objects from that?

In other words, batteries fundamentally cannot be treated like interchangeable, community-shareable bits in the way that things like dumpsters or water cooler bottles are.

The overwhelming bulk of an EV battery’s value isn’t in the electricity stored in it, but in the battery itself—its raw materials and integrated electronics and cooling and so forth. You’d be swapping out $5-10k in batteries for $20 worth of electricity during every refuel stop.

And how do you ensure safety and quality? What’s to stop somebody from loving up or physically damaging their battery somehow and then simply exchanging it, putting a potentially underperforming or dangerous battery into the pool for somebody else to take? What do you do when somebody shows up with a battery like that? Who takes a potential hazard like that? Who fixes it? Do you have a certified tech on staff 24/7 to troubleshoot a sketchy looking battery?

Water cooler jugs are one thing- they’re relatively inert, they’re dirt cheap/disposable. If one gets stolen or misplaced or returned damaged or it cracks, it’s a trivial replacement and the water cooler industry chugs along.

With EV battery packs you’re talking about a $5-10k computerized box of some sort that weighs anywhere from 1000-4000 lbs and can start a fire and/or kill a person in a hundred different ways. And you’re proposing that everybody rent these, and share them, and exchange them on average at least 1x per week.

4) did I mention that these things are dangerous? There’s a ton of cooling and power management and whatnot that goes into keeping a battery functional and safe, not to mention structural protection and shielding/armor. These elements are engineered into the central systems and structure of a car.

You’d have to make removable/replaceable battery packs incredibly robust and physically self-contained with stuff like cooling built in. The batteries would have to get much bigger and less streamlined and cars would have to get much bigger to accommodate that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ola posted:

I'm gonna book some demo time on the Beamers. And the Volvo C40. Not that I think I will buy them, but perhaps the next generation or the one after.

OMFG nothing worse than seeing “Bimmer” written “Beamer”

it is haram

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ola posted:

But how often is that? That's what decides if you really need 3.5 MW or not, you only need to charge enough to get the truck (inc. margins) to the next place.
https://www.nhvr.gov.au/safety-accreditation-compliance/fatigue-management/work-and-rest-requirements/standard-hours
First break has to happen before 5:30, the rest come in shorter timeframes each after that.

Also I don't know how popular team driving is in other parts of the world, but here in the US it's pretty common for long-haul jobs, which means while the drivers are getting rest the trucks might not be. It's definitely possible here for a driving team with a sleeper on their truck to run the whole way across the country, just stopping for fuel and bathroom breaks.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 22, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Agreed: my 1980 toyota tercel was a fukkin' hoot.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Can you stick teeth around the nose?

Boom - shark mouth.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah so the E39 M5

My son restored one, it was awesome,

Sold it and the new owner crashed a few weeks later.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Ok Comboomer posted:

OMFG nothing worse than seeing “Bimmer” written “Beamer”

it is haram

Go post that in Cycle Asylum.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Team blue 💙

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is the Bolt blue a metallic or simple monotone?