Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
edit: wrong thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

Also Moon Knight got even weirder in the tail end this week.

Oscar Isaac carries this show since it's holding back so much of the bizarre rear end moon knight identity crisis. I get it, but I still can't help but be a little disappointed.

This is pretty much why I'm not watching. If you're going to do the weird rear end character don't down-to-earth him, especially when you're a company that produces nothing but CGI cape poo poo using slave labor.

Go big or go home.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i liked the david tennant / billie piper era of doctor who. tennant obviously loves playing the role and the two of them had real chemistry.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Dr. Who Episode Blink, is still really good. Every episode about the weeping angels after that has been awful.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Its interesting how both the Friday and Harold & Kumar trilogies go in the order of:
Low budget out of nowhere smash hit stoner classic -->
Inferior higher budget cash grab sequel -->
Utterly forgettable Christmas based sequel -->
Aging stars keep promising 4th and final entry is on the way for the past few years

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I got up to the famous Jim scene in Fateful Findings. I had to stop to share it with my Dad who was just as baffled.

We're finishing it tomorrow.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just got done watching Taxi Driver as I hadn't seen it in forever and figured I was due for a re-watch, especially as I haven't seen it since I lived in NYC for a while back in the 2010s. Movie still holds up and hasn't lost any of its' impact.

Now I'm watching Scanners because why not :psyboom:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mozi posted:

I wonder if Netflix' over-reliance on 'the algorithm' to drive their content creation process is leading to a kind of evolutionary dead-end where most shows are better and better targeted at a specific audience but that audience isn't growing and unexpected out-of-the-box shows that are much riskier but could have bigger payoffs as far as bringing in new viewers (Severence for Apple?) aren't being budgeted for or are being cancelled too soon to establish a longer-term audience base. I'm not really tuned in though so I could be very wrong.

the over reliance also means that Netflix can be effectively farmed by studios/producers, like those movies above are like John Deeres reaping in the money

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just got done watching Taxi Driver as I hadn't seen it in forever and figured I was due for a re-watch, especially as I haven't seen it since I lived in NYC for a while back in the 2010s. Movie still holds up and hasn't lost any of its' impact.

another Scorsese/Schrader classic

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kalel posted:

I've only caught doctor who while flipping through channels, but for any doctor who fans (I think they call themselves "citizens of whoville"), here are the three doctor who memories in my brain

1) the weeping angel episode which has multiple neat sci-fi gimmicks. I don't remember the plot but the motw is cool, and the protagonist having a conversation with a recording of the doctor was neat. Also the concept of "potential time energy"

2) a scene where tennant doctor and $GIRL are stuck in spaceship traffic hell with a catguy trucker, his human wife, and their litter of cat-kids

3) a disembodied head yelling "doctor... WHO?" over and over as Matt Smith mugs for the camera

I do not have or want any further context for the latter two

That was the head of Steven Moffat after he crawled so far up his own rear end he emerged from the other end

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Who and Sherlock, (and gently caress it, let’s just throw Bond in here as well) are these British media institutions that all started to stink to high heavens the moment they decided to aspire to “prestige” television (or film in the case of Bond).

Prior to getting hijacked by terrible writers, you’d just churn out these baddie-of-the-week pieces and you didn’t need to worry about backstory, or why the Doctor (or Bond) would look different every so often because it doesn’t really matter to the story. You’d get the occasional two-parter or arc throughout the Who series but nothing major. Bond would sometimes reminisce about past adventures but never for more than a minute or two before getting back to the action.

Then the series started to become about themselves. What really went on back on Who’s homeworld? Why haven’t we seen Sherlock’s family? Who is the author of all James Bond’s pain? Endless awkward retcons and attempts to disguise fan-service as story. Rubbish!!!

tldr: I ain’t reading all this but I’m happy for you. Or sad that happened.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
i would simply retreat into my mind palace

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

i would simply retreat into my mind palace

me crafting another great post

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sherlock mostly sucked but I can't hate any show where murdoch gets blasted in the face

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I initially liked season 1 of Sherlock, especially the first episode, but subsequent seasons got so bad I can't even look back fondly on s1 anymore. And I really disliked Cumberbatch playing Turing as Sherlock in the Imitation Game. Enigma was the far superior film.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
speaking of Sherlock, everyone should reset the clock and (re-)watch Luther

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I watched exactly one (1) Doctor Who episode and it had a guy (bald?) in a leather jacket in an abandoned train yard and it had kids with gas masks lodged to their faces and crying. poo poo haunted me for years, never watched it again, godbless.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gripweed posted:

Dr. Who was fuckign action-packed compared to other British children's entertainment of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwhohWhrEE

Oliver Postgate's work is the absolute definition of comfy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg bagpuss haven’t thought about that dude in decades

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Lmfao Netflix have straight up lost their drat minds:

wtf posted:

Netflix currently touts “Boss Baby” as the ideal of what an animated series on the platform should be and what kind of numbers those animated series should be bringing in (this was reiterated by almost everyone we spoke to) although Netflix doesn’t even own “Boss Baby” — it licenses the series from DreamWorks Animation. (A new “Boss Baby” series premieres next month.)

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...01q2jo5u3gKT9HV

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress em, everyone knew their numbers were total bullshit for years

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Goa Tse-tung posted:

speaking of Sherlock, everyone should reset the clock and (re-)watch Luther

i bounced off this right away. they set up some confrontation between luther and this teenage girl machiavellian genius and he clues into her because the person interviewing her yawns and she doesn't yawn back, which obviously means she has no empathy. idk maybe i'll give it another shot

Kingo Ligma posted:

netflix: how about a show called baby drives that has monsters that represent everything a baby does, like a giant passifier, a soupy green poo poo monster, a crying elemental (couldn't think of one for this), a friendly fuzzy blanky

e: nobody make fun of my spelling

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 21, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The numbers poo poo really fucks me off, because there's no way in hell they would have given the office a second season and people rerunning that show in the background while they vacuum is their entire business model now

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Dabir posted:

That was the head of Steven Moffat after he crawled so far up his own rear end he emerged from the other end

His views of women are... Strange. Every single woman in the show had the exact same personality.

I remember my then boyfriend made me watch an episode where Matt Smith was flipping out because something something prophecy about losing his companion. So he gets really mad at River because she knew it was going to happen I think? Because she's also a time traveller. And a weeping angel grabs her, so she's stuck in its grip, and he just abandons her because he's mad about something she didn't have anything to do with.

She comes back later and broke her own hand to get out (instead of breaking the statue I guess) and then consoles Matt Smith for a while. I think we were supposed to be sad for Matt Smith.

But I haven't seen that in 10 years so maybe I missed some subtlety there

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
just imagine your flagship biggest show not being brought down by the megastar being outed as an insane rapist creep but because it descended into embarrassing self-parody before that could happen

the writing's been on the wall for a while

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

AARD VARKMAN posted:

now mount the TV 7 feet up above the fire place because it looks better there and we're in business

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

This is a hate crime

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

me watching the latest ep of HITB

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

KLONK

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kingo Ligma posted:

*Executive who’s only ever seen Boss Baby* Hmmmm, getting some strong “Boss Baby” ideas for my tent pole series

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reject Netflix, get hype for Apple TV Dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoNeMlNeD0

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Having flashbacks to the old days when we were all mad at HBO for cancelling great shows because they didn't do Sopranos numbers right away, and the argument was Seinfeld season 1 having dog poo poo ratings.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I got actually excited for this. I'm a big fan of Walking with Dinosaurs and I own the series on DVD. But that's over 20 years old.

And now both brothers will have a dinosaur thing finally.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Anime Liker posted:

Having flashbacks to the old days when we were all mad at HBO for cancelling great shows because they didn't do Sopranos numbers right away, and the argument was Seinfeld season 1 having dog poo poo ratings.

Netflix is currently streaming Seinfeld but they seem dumb enough not to get the irony even if it was explained to them in painful detail.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Anime Liker posted:

David Milch had a 7-year plan for John from Cincinnati! :argh:

But yeah cancelling Rome was a travesty

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Apple overcharged mac people $20 iphone cables lightning cables for decades to bring us polygon dinosaurs. I guess it was all worth it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1516807108242587648

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King GRRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Posting a blog titled "Winds of June" to let all my fans know I've got a TV show I'm looking forward to watching.