Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There IS cross platform multiplayer isn't there?

Yes

Oh, hey, so what's the deal with those sentries or whatever the gently caress they are? I finally found a safe and healthy planet, no environmental problems at all, and these things showed up right away when I landed.

I've learned not to really engage with them but do they ever go away? Do I need to be concerned with them?

They're the primary on-foot combat encounter in the game, whether you need to be concerned depends on the planet. If you check it from space, there'll be a note about what sort of hazards a planet has; one of them is "how aggressive are the sentinels". They can range from nonexistent where they straight up don't spawn, low/medium/high where they'll show up and stare at you but won't aggro unless they catch you actively mining/collecting resources, and "aggressive" where they will basically shoot on sight.

There are ways to temporarily disable sentinels planet-wide but there's no reason to set up shop on an aggressive-sentinel planet unless you're feeling pretty confident in your on-foot combat equipment.

e: The best way to think about them generally is "museum curators" and some of them take issue with you existing in the museum at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My Expedition seems to be hosed.

I got the Freighter fight, killed all the Pirates, then just as I was going to dock, someone else jumped in, their freighter spawned, and it seems like mine reset to '30 mil credits please'. Problem is, now I can't get another one to spawn.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shockeh posted:

My Expedition seems to be hosed.

I got the Freighter fight, killed all the Pirates, then just as I was going to dock, someone else jumped in, their freighter spawned, and it seems like mine reset to '30 mil credits please'. Problem is, now I can't get another one to spawn.

Options are going to broadly be:

1. Revert to a slightly older save, depending on when your last save was; the attack event is purely local so "just revert back a bit" is usually a fair way to resolve that sort of weirdness (and maybe turn off multiplayer to be on the safe side)
2. Play for ~3 hours (even if that's just "leaving the game on") and make ~5 system jumps, and hope the next pirates-attacking-freighter spawn has the same quest triggers that the expedition seems to require
3. Start a new expedition save if it's early enough and you don't feel like mucking about with either of the above

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Completed the expedition tonight. Between the money/nanite glitch and the rewards you I ended with so much. I kinda want to make this my main save file instead of starting fresh on a non-expedition one.

Has anyone done settlements? Are they were doing or should I still just think of setting up a base on a planet I like then explore / do whatever from there?

One of the late expedition rewards is a Void Egg which is how the living ship quest gets started, it looks like. They leave you with plenty to do, that’s for sure.

I did a settlement once. At first it was a bit buggy, and it seemed like every patch would reset my progress. After the worst bugs were fixed, it was nice having some dumbasses to care about.

But the latest patch changed their planet to an Extreme Sentinel Planet, so I was like :lol: good luck with that and never went back

I'll probably try again with a new settlement at some future date, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've heard reports that expedition saves can be a bit hosed up with regards to the main quests of the game so have a care with that, especially if it's your first time through and you care about the main quests, which do unlock a lot of stuff for your base and such.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

HopperUK posted:

I've heard reports that expedition saves can be a bit hosed up with regards to the main quests of the game so have a care with that, especially if it's your first time through and you care about the main quests, which do unlock a lot of stuff for your base and such.

Is the main quest the only way to get the base-building unlocks?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

No, you can also go to the anomaly and buy all the blueprints with salvaged data, which in turn you can sometimes collect from planets you explore.

Honestly, I did maybe 1/4th of one base building quest and then the stupid fucker kept giving me some small amounts of nanites instead of blueprints because I've already had whatever he wanted to give me. After that, I just never did any base building quests ever again and just bought them all in the anomaly.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone done settlements? Are they were doing or should I still just think of setting up a base on a planet I like then explore / do whatever from there?

Settlements and bases are two different things, so you can do both. Settlements are basically "towns" populated with NPCs where you become the "overseer" and can make various decisions from time to time which can improve aspects of the settlement. You can choose to build various buildings in a settlement when those options are presented to you, but the buildings are placed and generated automatically; you don't get to decide anything about them except whether or not to construct 'em in the first place. The settlement also "spawns" in a random spot when you use a map that directs you to one (or respond to a comm signal or something for your first one; don't really remember how that worked); you can't just decide to build one in a particular place. You don't really do much in a settlement except make the aforementioned decisions, collect the goods the settlement produces, and occasionally fight off Sentinels or pirates.

Bases are entirely player-constructed and can be placed anywhere (as long as they don't conflict with a different player's base). You can do many different things with your bases; "farming" minerals and resources, growing various plants, building all sorts of useful equipment, hiring various technicians for different upgrade quest lines, etc. You'll likely have many, many bases during the course of the game, even if most are nothing more than a base computer, teleporter, and one cuboid room for shelter on a planet you want to be able to return to on demand. If you find a nice planet and want to build a base, go nuts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HopperUK posted:

This particular expeditions ends with (spoiler it even though you can read the objective) you jumping into a new galaxy and starting a base. Unless they’ve changed things about, jumping to a new galaxy is akin to NG+ that resets all your quests. So basically finishing the expedition leaves you with everything you’ve collected and a new galaxy to explore / do all the quests in

I loaded up my very first save which I hadn’t opened since 2019. I was in a makeshift Indium farm with a lovely looking (but almost maxed out int storage, possibly hacked?) ship and a massive star destroyer looking freighter with again, almost everything maxed out storage. I thought it’d be fun to pick this old file to play but honestly I think I’m just going clean slate and just chilling with it. Much like Minecraft, to most fun I find in that game is starting over and carving a little corner of the world as mine while I gather up resources and build poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 21, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

John F Bennett posted:

I'm looking at the anomaly unlocks now and the portable mining/gas condensing units appear to have gotten onto the Anomaly (and is why the edges on the tech modules page seem to clip a bit now, lol) so the only explicit thing is the Save Point, which they may have been smart enough to hand off as a blueprint off the bat this time around

In theory that would make the only truly-unobtainable tech:
- The quest item blueprints from the Artemis quest
- The Construction/Weapon/Science/Agricultural terminals, which only occur as part of the main base-building questline

(this is grain of salt, my recollection after not having done main quest in quite awhile, no guarantee of other fuckery not occurring)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This particular expeditions ends with (spoiler it even though you can read the objective) you jumping into a new galaxy and starting a base. Unless they’ve changed things about, jumping to a new galaxy is akin to NG+ that resets all your quests. So basically finishing the expedition leaves you with everything you’ve collected and a new galaxy to explore / do all the quests in

ehhh sort of, it rerolls the location of the current step of your active quests (in effect, the same thing that happens when you see that little red swirly by a quest and force it to restart manually), but the usual expedition starting state is that the actual main plot quest (specifically, artemis) is considered "already done"-- which is why every time your only directive for that is "visit your old friends in the anomaly"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If one was starting a fresh save is there a way to transfer credits and nanites to the new save somehow?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So I'm playing Survival. Died a bunch. Learned how not to die. Made progress. Named an animal, discovered 3 planets.

My discoveries... Those are uploaded to some main server? For others to see? Is that how it works?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah. In the pause menu you can bulk upload discoveries to the servers to stake your claim, and if you focus in on planets, flora and fauna you can name discoveries and upload them individually. Next time someone jumps into the same system, everything you've uploaded will have your name on it and your name on it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

If one was starting a fresh save is there a way to transfer credits and nanites to the new save somehow?

With a friend you can hand items across from one save to another, but not credits or nanites directly. All accounts involved have to be the same type, as well-- Normal, Survival, Permadeath or Current Expedition (previous expedition gets converted to Normal after it's done)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Since the most recent patch I've been hearing a constant rising tone that seems like it's trying to make a spooky atmosphere and it's extremely annoying. Especially considering it's louder than the SFX. Pretty much only freighters popping in right on top of me are loud enough to be heard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What are or will be my customization options for my suit, ship, and eventual flag and cape? Is it just picking from a list of premade patterns, or can I really customize it, like how decals worked in Forza and Fzero GX?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just your character from pre-available parts and colors. Freighter is colors only but you can build a base inside of it. Your banner is two colors and an icon based on your milestones (I think) and I don't think you can customize your cape beyond colors.

More customization is almost certainly on the way but it's been a while already. I want at least ship colors to be a thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What are or will be my customization options for my suit, ship, and eventual flag and cape? Is it just picking from a list of premade patterns, or can I really customize it, like how decals worked in Forza and Fzero GX?

Suit and cape is done in Appearance Modifiers, either on Space Stations, or you can build one in your base. Capes are a free option so you can just select it in the backpack option. It replaces the backpack, but only you will see your cape - other players can't see it in multiplayer.

Normal ships can't be customised, you just have to find the ones you want (or search for the coordinates of one on this subreddit. Freighters can be painted different colours, but you have to unlock the paints with nanites.

Different designs for flags are bought like any other base building component, they can be set to different colours when you place them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks!

Looking forward to being an obnoxious, hot pink space pirate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Thanks!

Looking forward to being an obnoxious, hot pink space pirate.

You can unlock different coloured jetpack and spaceship exhausts with Quicksilver (earned by missions found at the Anomaly, and spent in the same place), so you could be an obnoxious hot pink space pirate with a rainbow jetpack trail if you want.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can unlock different coloured jetpack and spaceship exhausts with Quicksilver (earned by missions found at the Anomaly, and spent in the same place), so you could be an obnoxious hot pink space pirate with a rainbow jetpack trail if you want.

Stop; I can only get so... excited..

This is wonderful news. I LOVE customization in games (who doesn't?), and the more the better. I hope a deeper system is introduced eventually but this all sounds great.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
you'll have to do some hunting to find a hot pink spaceship but it's definitely possible!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

But keep in mind that after a patch it might not be pink anymore so enjoy it while you can.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

But keep in mind that after a patch it might not be pink anymore so enjoy it while you can.

I've never had spacecraft change colour or shape on me post-patch.

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
One thing I've noticed is that ships landing at a station have an overwhelming tendency to match my character colors. 90% or more if I'm the only person on the station.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Suit and cape is done in Appearance Modifiers, either on Space Stations, or you can build one in your base. Capes are a free option so you can just select it in the backpack option. It replaces the backpack, but only you will see your cape - other players can't see it in multiplayer.

Is the anomaly different from normal multiplayer in that regard? I saw someone asking where people got their capes in there the other day, so I assumed they could see them. That said, I haven't paid any attention to the other players in there so don't know if I saw their capes or not.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never had spacecraft change colour or shape on me post-patch.

That doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

My solar ship changed sails after the last patch and one of my fighters lost a wing a while back so it's not impossible.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

PJOmega posted:

One thing I've noticed is that ships landing at a station have an overwhelming tendency to match my character colors. 90% or more if I'm the only person on the station.

I wish it was that easy. Im all white and black, but all that lands is these drat santa claus ships all red and green or teal.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

chglcu posted:

Is the anomaly different from normal multiplayer in that regard? I saw someone asking where people got their capes in there the other day, so I assumed they could see them. That said, I haven't paid any attention to the other players in there so don't know if I saw their capes or not.

Nah, I've never seen another player's cape, either through joining them in multiplayer or just being in the Anomaly. You can see the hooded helmet option though, which you unlock from doing some of the new pirate stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The capes have cloth physics that are pretty heavy, for lower end systems anyway. The Nexus would crash a lot of low-end PCs, Xbox Ones and PS4's if they had to calculate that many real-time physics objects.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you'll have to do some hunting to find a hot pink spaceship but it's definitely possible!

I thought I could paint it myself?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

nooope

freighters have paint (although it doesn't show up for anyone else), all other ships are 100% static seed based. There's a reason sites like NMSCE exist, it's because the only real way to get a specific color and style of ship is "finding someone else who's found it in the last 6 years already and going to where they found it"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You'll also need to find a Portal, and have the resources to activate it. You can then punch in the glyphs in the bottom left-hand corner of the images to teleport to that system.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

buddy, they wont even let me paint it

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any sort of notification for future twitch drops? Missed out on the apparent streams they were doing recently.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why is there a whole cooking system in this game that feels more complex than the rest of the game yet so useless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's NMS.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Can I claim the twitch drop ships on any new save or only one time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Any new save. Same with Expedition phase rewards.