Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

Just lost a won CC game that would have ranked me up to Diamond because a Machinist rolled the 3% to oneshot me from full HP with Chainsaw :shepicide:

Hey, don't undersell your luck like that!

They rolled a 5%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Hey, don't undersell your luck like that!

They rolled a 5%!
The Chainsaw tooltip disagrees with the Analyze tooltip about that %, not sure which is actually right.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I keep see-sawing between almost gold 1 and nearly back to gold 4. :smith:

I'd maybe progress further if I didn't stick to a "if you lose three in a row, go take a breather in casual for a while" philosophy, but that helps keep me from tilting. :shrug:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Kyrosiris posted:

I keep see-sawing between almost gold 1 and nearly back to gold 4. :smith:

I'd maybe progress further if I didn't stick to a "if you lose three in a row, go take a breather in casual for a while" philosophy, but that helps keep me from tilting. :shrug:

Any time I get a win streak, it's immediately followed by a string of teams who literally cannot bring a single enemy below 75% health.

I have one char stuck at the bottom of gold (Sum), one stuck at the bottom of silver (War), and one at the bottom of bronze (Blm/Drk). All on different data centers (2 NA, 1 Europe) and it's the same drat thing everywhere.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, when would be the best time for me to land a Dalriada party

7pm-midnight local time usually has populated dalriadas on primal.

make sure the instance you're in isn't locked, you can check the population of an instance by typing /sea or bringing up the social menu with O and tabbing over. people start at 180 minutes but if the oldest person there has 140m remaining, there's a good chance your instance is locked. potentially a second higher-population zadnor instance could be running, so consider leaving if your instance is locked and low population for better chances.

if you're running into a lot of issues trying to finish it and you're on primal, let me know! i was able to eek out a 3-man dalriada victory last night.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 21, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I tried CC again after taking a break for about a week and i went from bottom of Plat 4 to Diamond with only one loss. It's probably that all the good players have climbed up to Diamond/Crystal by now but it still felt good.

I really like the system of win streaks and not losing stars when you're at the bottom of a division. It means that over time people should slowly climb with an even win/loss ratio. The problem with most ranked systems is that most people plateau in skill fairly quickly then rarely deviate from that level. The way the system is set up there's still incentive to play even when you plateau because you just need a win streak, and the floors at each division will help relieve ladder anxiety.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I escaped Silver Hell :toot:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CJ posted:

I really like the system of win streaks and not losing stars when you're at the bottom of a division. It means that over time people should slowly climb with an even win/loss ratio. The problem with most ranked systems is that most people plateau in skill fairly quickly then rarely deviate from that level. The way the system is set up there's still incentive to play even when you plateau because you just need a win streak, and the floors at each division will help relieve ladder anxiety.
My issue with this is that it means once you reach crystal, the final rank, there's pretty much no hope of actually balancing matches through matchmaking. Since the ranking system basically forces people upward as long as they play enough matches (and are, you know, having the average skill of a random player), the Crystal ranking means basically nothing.

I'm giving up on ranked pvp completely because 95% of my matches are becoming complete stomps, and it's not particularly engaging whether I win or lose. I got handed something like a 12-win streak last night, where matches were just completely obviously over about 30 seconds in almost every time, and today had an equivalent losing streak that felt equally random. There's certainly stuff they can fix in terms of class balance and those tweaks will be welcome but besides that I expect the matches to continue to have absurd ranges of player skill that make them play out in very stupid ways.

It'll still be fundamentally a super fun pvp mode for casual matches but man it's weird at the high levels.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Martman posted:

My issue with this is that it means once you reach crystal, the final rank, there's pretty much no hope of actually balancing matches through matchmaking. Since the ranking system basically forces people upward as long as they play enough matches (and are, you know, having the average skill of a random player), the Crystal ranking means basically nothing.

I'm giving up on ranked pvp completely because 95% of my matches are becoming complete stomps, and it's not particularly engaging whether I win or lose. I got handed something like a 12-win streak last night, where matches were just completely obviously over about 30 seconds in almost every time, and today had an equivalent losing streak that felt equally random. There's certainly stuff they can fix in terms of class balance and those tweaks will be welcome but besides that I expect the matches to continue to have absurd ranges of player skill that make them play out in very stupid ways.

It'll still be fundamentally a super fun pvp mode for casual matches but man it's weird at the high levels.

Oh, if there isn't a hidden MMR then i agree there should be. I just don't think anyone would be excited about grinding out games where your visible rank stays the same the whole time. It's basically the Hearthstone ranked system and i think that's a good fit.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's a rating you get at crystal, and after a long enough time I guess that will be able to function as a "true mmr" type thing. For now though the system is still making some extremely weird choices at times, and there are just a ton of new people reaching the rank all the time and it's extremely chaotic. And like, since you can't go below Crystal 0, someone who's lost 50 matches at the bottom of Crystal is probably not weighted all that differently from someone who's won and lost an equal amount.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anno posted:

I’m finding myself very overleveled going through ARR. Currently I’m a 33 PLD and I think the quest I’m on is marked for level 24. Is there enough XP to progress more than one class, switching back and forth? It’d be a bit annoying to catch the lower leveled one up but probably better now than later if there’s more than enough XP.

our of curiosity i leveled one job doing only msq. no fates, roulettes, or anything else that wasn't strictly msq. i got to 49 until i hit a roadblock, so i did a few n than fates then kept on truckin

the thing that really kills the momentum is there's a quest you can complete at like 42 and the one right after that requires 46. there's no msq between those levels, probably in an attempt to get people to grab the beast tribe breadcrums

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Anno posted:

I’m finding myself very overleveled going through ARR. Currently I’m a 33 PLD and I think the quest I’m on is marked for level 24. Is there enough XP to progress more than one class, switching back and forth? It’d be a bit annoying to catch the lower leveled one up but probably better now than later if there’s more than enough XP.

I've leveled 2 or 3 jobs in parallel first time through every expansion, including running ARR on an alt recently. It kinda depends on how open you are to side content, though. If you just do main quests and nothing but main quests then their level will eventually catch up to you even on a single job. I find just shotgunning the MSQ to be really boring so I do the side quests and optional dungeons, finish my hunt logs, run the occasional roulette, maybe clear some FATEs when I come across someone else doing one, etc.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Thanks folks. I do some side stuff too so it sounds like I can probably look into a second class. Now to figure out what else I even want to play lol

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Il level 89 and I'm halfway through Shadowbringers. I should probably start another class...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't CJ admit their gimmick was just posting hot takes from some chan site? Or can people just not resist taking the bait

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/119033fa26efecf5bb35207c79e9f60ba7c94c42

The Maiden's Rhapsody, the XI collab event, is coming back.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Every time they announce this event is coming back I hope it's actually the other FFXI event that had a Shantotto FATE boss.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Does anyone know the website that, along with other things, shows you what you can spend tomestones on to make money if you're capped on stones and gear?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Every time they announce this event is coming back I hope it's actually the other FFXI event that had a Shantotto FATE boss.

Yeah, same. It's a shame it's just the same event that been run three times now (or more? it's the third time I've seen it at least)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Personally I'm waiting for a Bohemian Rhapsody event, which is a collab with Tactics Ogre.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CobiWann posted:

Does anyone know the website that, along with other things, shows you what you can spend tomestones on to make money if you're capped on stones and gear?

I think Teamcraft can do that?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Subjunctive posted:

I think Teamcraft can do that?

That's it! Thank you!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Eh it's super mega late but I was thinking about how I said before I didnt know how points you get and lose from kills and how important actually killing is in frontlines. It's not exactly how many points you get for each individual kill but I think this is a pretty good example anyway :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Veotax posted:

Yeah, same. It's a shame it's just the same event that been run three times now (or more? it's the third time I've seen it at least)

And they still haven't made the gear dyeable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Make her a level 90 EX trial instead.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Xun posted:

Eh it's super mega late but I was thinking about how I said before I didnt know how points you get and lose from kills and how important actually killing is in frontlines. It's not exactly how many points you get for each individual kill but I think this is a pretty good example anyway :v:

Not getting killed is just as important. When in doubt, play it safe and disengage instead of chasing a low HP player into their blob.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I stick with the group but I usually get killed when the rest of the group pulls back and I don't notice

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

Did that one give the Wind-up Shantotto minion as its reward? Because if it is, it's probably never going to be rerun due to the reward being available in the online store.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tamba posted:

Not getting killed is just as important. When in doubt, play it safe and disengage instead of chasing a low HP player into their blob.

Yeah, you can see the massive number of points lost to deaths there too :v: although at least on my datacenter a really common problem is teams and people that are too unwilling to engage in fights (like flames in the above picture) and like to hang back in safety (and not killing) or run from fights they can win.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's always frustrating to be on the team that immediately retreats from a three-way fight as soon as the objective clears, while watching the other two teams charge at each other instead.

Though goodfites aren't everything when it comes to actually winning. In that screenshot Adders died the most and neither got the most kills nor the most objectives, but still ended up winning because of how everything shook out on the whole.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 21, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

It's always frustrating to be on the team that immediately retreats from a three-way fight as soon as the objective clears, while watching the other two teams charge at each other instead.

Though goodfites aren't everything when it comes to actually winning. In that screenshot Adders died the most and neither got the most kills nor the most objectives, but still ended up winning because of how everything shook out on the whole.

Sometimes it works out, like we won a match before because the other two teams were just killing each other and ignoring the objectives. Other times it...doesn't because the dust settles and one team emerges victorious with a bunch of people now having BHV :stonk:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sometimes it works out, like we won a match before because the other two teams were just killing each other and ignoring the objectives. Other times it...doesn't because the dust settles and one team emerges victorious with a bunch of people now having BHV :stonk:

Whenever my team is quietly capping objectives while the other two teams are fighting I always think of that WH40k story about the Inquisitor who baited a Hive Fleet and a WAAAGH! into attacking each other

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think that turned out nicely for any of the three sides, though...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

I don't think that turned out nicely for any of the three sides, though...

Less because it was a bad idea and more because it's 40k and 'awful' is a physical law of the universe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kinda funny that when you finish a dungeon with NPCs they'll all be standing there after the boss is dead. All four of them, including the one you stood in for.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I noticed that its the same NPCs the whole way through, going from just Adventurers to Scion members to, for some reason, joining the Grand Companies for the ARR Finale. IMO if they should have (ARR post Garuda spoilers) Had those adventurers be among the dead in the Waking Sands Massacre, including making you collect their bodies for the cart, then introduce new Grand Company Soldiers for the Castrum/Praetorium assault. It'd be a bit of an extra twisting of the dagger for any sprouts who used them a lot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I noticed that its the same NPCs the whole way through, going from just Adventurers to Scion members to, for some reason, joining the Grand Companies for the ARR Finale. IMO if they should have (ARR post Garuda spoilers) Had those adventurers be among the dead in the Waking Sands Massacre, including making you collect their bodies for the cart, then introduce new Grand Company Soldiers for the Castrum/Praetorium assault. It'd be a bit of an extra twisting of the dagger for any sprouts who used them a lot.

They avoided that fate for the same reason you yourself did.

Though it would be neat if they got added to the roster of incidental NPCs hanging out in story-relevant areas if you actually run the dungeons with them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this collab seems kind of lame

fitting for FFXI

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Getting there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
As I flounder in Bronze CC hell, I've come to accept that certain comps are just auto losses and I just accept them and try and better understand my kit and the proper timing of actions for when I get a group that can actually get kills. Like if I get 2 tanks and 2 healers and 1 DPS, we lose. We'll never have the burst to kill anyone. The other team is almost always DRG/MCH/SMN/WAR/WHM and they will eventually focus us down one at a time. And since our deaths are staggered, the remaining team will just zerg into the group of 5 over and over one at a time until the match ends.

I'm not sure which loss I dislike more: 0% progress, 0 kills, or having the enemy go 0-100% from our 99%.