Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

Good news: software's usually fixable. Bad news: if it's taken this long to acknowledge, that may not be trivial. Here's hoping...

For those of us who are unwilling or unable to pay for Apple's monitors, how well does a stock 4K monitor work? I have a BenQ 32" 4K60 that I believe would acquit itself well to a Studio once I calibrated the color appropriately. What do goons think?
Anywhere from good/fine to unacceptable. Just kinda depends on resolution you'll run and tolerance for whatever sizing or scaling if applicable, which will depend on your eyesight and how much you give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hasturtium posted:

Good news: software's usually fixable. Bad news: if it's taken this long to acknowledge, that may not be trivial. Here's hoping...

Well, see, here's the thing.. its an issue that is mostly not having to do with Apple peripherals.. Apple's general attitude towards non-Apple peripheral support tends to be pretty poor, its as if they don't consider it a priority.

They also have an extremely poor track record with USB support, back in El Capitan they managed to gently caress up their entire USB stack and it was literally making GBS threads the bed right up until Mojave.

I'm with you, I'm hoping it's an easy fix and just one of those 'Rev. A whoopsies' that Apple can just patch.

Meanwhile, more websites are beginning to cover this:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/18/m1-mac-thunderbolt-4-ports-speed-tests/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 20, 2022

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I just got my first Magic keyboard — always used wired keyboard before. What do I need to do to activate the Touch ID sensor? It does nothing, and System Preferences -> Touch ID -> Add Fingerprint does nothing. I'm using a MBP with an already-functioning Touch ID sensor.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so I had a tech nerd go into a long spiel when I mentioned I was looking at the new MacBook pro's that was basically the fake outrage Linus and others went off about how the chips aren't easily swappable in the mac studio.

From what I recall, part of the reason for this is because the way they've designed the systems gets faster read and write speeds from said SSD's, and the reason they seem swappable is for less parts for them to build? And didn't they find you could switch the same size SSD internally, or am I wrong about that?

this is a guy who of course also complains that $1500 MacBooks are a bad deal, but upgrades windows laptops for $900 every like two years because the old ones keep breaking on him.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Don't get a Dell S3221QS

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lincoln posted:

I just got my first Magic keyboard — always used wired keyboard before. What do I need to do to activate the Touch ID sensor? It does nothing, and System Preferences -> Touch ID -> Add Fingerprint does nothing. I'm using a MBP with an already-functioning Touch ID sensor.
The touch sensor only works on Apple Silicon-based Macs so if you’re using it with an Intel MBP you’re unfortunately out of luck.

If it’s being used on an Apple Silicon Mac it’s supposed to prompt you to press the power button on the Mac while it’s wired in with the cable to securely sync. If it hasn’t done that maybe unplug it, unpair it in Bluetooth settings and then plug it back in.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mercurius posted:

... if you’re using it with an Intel MBP you’re unfortunately out of luck.

Awwwwwww sheeeeeeeit

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hasturtium posted:

For those of us who are unwilling or unable to pay for Apple's monitors, how well does a stock 4K monitor work? I have a BenQ 32" 4K60 that I believe would acquit itself well to a Studio once I calibrated the color appropriately. What do goons think?

I have one of those that I plug a MBP into and I quite like it. At 4K the UI is pretty small. At “looks like 1080p” the UI is kind of chunky. At “looks like 1440p” the UI elements are about the same size as they look on the native screen. I am not eagle eyed enough to be annoyed by any scaling artifacts.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

LionArcher posted:

so I had a tech nerd go into a long spiel when I mentioned I was looking at the new MacBook pro's that was basically the fake outrage Linus and others went off about how the chips aren't easily swappable in the mac studio.

From what I recall, part of the reason for this is because the way they've designed the systems gets faster read and write speeds from said SSD's, and the reason they seem swappable is for less parts for them to build? And didn't they find you could switch the same size SSD internally, or am I wrong about that?

this is a guy who of course also complains that $1500 MacBooks are a bad deal, but upgrades windows laptops for $900 every like two years because the old ones keep breaking on him.

apple can replace the ssd. you can't unless you have an identical machine lying around and maybe not even then

there's no performance reason for them to have done it the way they did but the custom part they are using with an on die ssd controller and cache is cheaper

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As I understand it, the "SSD" we usually think about when we use the term is a whole module with the controller and all the actual storage chips on a single board you plug into something, but the Mac Studio "SSD" is just the storage and the controller is part of the M1. The theory is that having on-die hardware that does storage stuff means you can optimise more than you could with a typical system. This is - again, as I understand it - the same theory used in the PS5, whose big signature trick is that it has a hardware decompression engine meaning that even though the actual storage chips on the thing have a throughput of like 5GB/s, the actual rate at which a game can shunt data into memory can go up to 9GB/s, which is lunatic fast. Of course, the PS5 does also support off-the-shelf SSD expansions (although the on-board storage is for life).

You can - in theory, and also as I understand it - swap out the SSDs in a Mac Studio but only if you replace with the exact right modules and also run some initialisation software on it that I don't think is publicly available (yet?).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Awwwwwww sheeeeeeeit

Welcome to the slow creep of irrelevance.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Fedule posted:

You can - in theory, and also as I understand it - swap out the SSDs in a Mac Studio but only if you replace with the exact right modules and also run some initialisation software on it that I don't think is publicly available (yet?).

Those modules are only available direct from Apple and they're not gonna sell you them so you can upgrade, though they'll gladly replace your SSDs if they somehow become defective.

Doubt it'll ever be 'publicly' available as it's part of an online configuration suite that can currently only be accessed if you're an Apple certified technician at an AASP or Apple Retail Store.

It's a suite that techs run after doing part replacements- the software first checks the parts against Apple's own records of what you bought, then it does some internal certification magic that allows the parts to be 1) recognized by the system and 2) work as intended.

Give you an example- say in a fit of pique you judo chop your M1 MacBook Air's keyboard for whatever reason, and now it types specious garbage instead of the desired characters. Okay, sounds like a top case replacement. Let's say I do the swap, make all the connections, screw everything back together, but I DON'T run Apple's certifier or whatever, guess what happens.

The keyboard literally won't be recognized and if I'm lucky, a screen will appear during boot that essentially says 'run the certifier, idiot' (not exactly those words but you get the general meaning) It WILL be recognized after the certifier does its work.

Ok, here's another example: lets say I'm asleep at the wheel and this same M1 Air needs a replacement logic board, but the one that was bought was a 7-core GPU 8 GB / 256 GB, but I accidentally order an 8-core GPU / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB logic board replacement. Guess what, it won't work even if I run the certifier, because it will check the serial number against purchase records and note that it's not the original 7-core GPU logic board, it will refuse to certify it and I have to go back and order the exact real part.

Really, this all goes back to Apple only wanting to support only what they sell you- EXACTLY what they sell you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Those modules are only available direct from Apple and they're not gonna sell you them so you can upgrade, though they'll gladly replace your SSDs if they somehow become defective.

Doubt it'll ever be 'publicly' available as it's part of an online configuration suite that can currently only be accessed if you're an Apple certified technician at an AASP or Apple Retail Store.

It's a suite that techs run after doing part replacements- the software first checks the parts against Apple's own records of what you bought, then it does some internal certification magic that allows the parts to be 1) recognized by the system and 2) work as intended.

Give you an example- say in a fit of pique you judo chop your M1 MacBook Air's keyboard for whatever reason, and now it types specious garbage instead of the desired characters. Okay, sounds like a top case replacement. Let's say I do the swap, make all the connections, screw everything back together, but I DON'T run Apple's certifier or whatever, guess what happens.

The keyboard literally won't be recognized and if I'm lucky, a screen will appear during boot that essentially says 'run the certifier, idiot' (not exactly those words but you get the general meaning) It WILL be recognized after the certifier does its work.

Ok, here's another example: lets say I'm asleep at the wheel and this same M1 Air needs a replacement logic board, but the one that was bought was a 7-core GPU 8 GB / 256 GB, but I accidentally order an 8-core GPU / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB logic board replacement. Guess what, it won't work even if I run the certifier, because it will check the serial number against purchase records and note that it's not the original 7-core GPU logic board, it will refuse to certify it and I have to go back and order the exact real part.

Really, this all goes back to Apple only wanting to support only what they sell you- EXACTLY what they sell you.

hosed up

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also:

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1513597942820749312

I get the feeling he hasn't taken his Studio back to his local Apple Store for the techs there to recertify his SSD modules.

I also get the feeling he doesn't WANT to do it for fear of the Apple techs tch-tching him 'Did you open this up yourself to try to swap out the SSDs?!'

It's a shaky procedure if you want to avoid any contact with Apple service technicians, but whatever, he's making gobs of money on his YT channel so he evidently knows better.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 20, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC Luke Had no idea what he was doing and had a worse time with it than some of the more technical people that investigated. Apple does sell SSD kits for the Mac Pro (which requires replacing the existing modules and also isn't a simple plug-in-play swap), so maybe they'll eventually offer something like that for the Studio, but based on the prices they charge for those Mac Pro kits, you're better off just buying however much storage you may need BTO.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Binary Badger posted:

Huh? It's just Apple Configurator.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nah, after a repair it's something called System Configuration, you can only get to it by logging into a special Apple site,

Mac Configuration Utility lets you refresh / restore firmware if it gets hosed somehow, you don't use it after a repair procedure.

With Apple Silicon machines, SC must be run after a repair or the replacement parts won't activate.

I get the feeling they're using the secure enclave in the T2 to store a list of components that has to be checked at boot; running the SC 'certifies' them for use; his machine still isn't working right because as far as the T2 is concerned, he's got uncertified parts installed. It won't work until he goes back to his dealer/local store so they can run the SC.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 20, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Multiple sources have shown the process for swapping like-sized storage modules in the Mac Studio. The only configuration tool they used was Apple Configurator. I have no doubt you're right for other components, but this specific one is possible to do yourself if you have another mac lying around

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope right to repair puts an end to crap like that, but presumably everything will be shoved into a massive carve-out with "security" written on it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope right to repair puts an end to crap like that, but presumably everything will be shoved into a massive carve-out with "security" written on it

agreed

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are peoples thoughts on Apple Care for Mac Studios? I believe the general sentiment is Apple Care isn't worth it for a desktop that's just sitting in one place its whole life, but on the other hand, first gen Apple product.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

It’s the only apple product I didn’t get Apple care on in the last 5+ years.

But I also have an MBP under coverage so if I’m down I’m not DOWN DOWN.

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Splinter posted:

What are peoples thoughts on Apple Care for Mac Studios? I believe the general sentiment is Apple Care isn't worth it for a desktop that's just sitting in one place its whole life, but on the other hand, first gen Apple product.

Depends, I believe APP for Mac Studio gives you on site support so a tech will come out to your business to do repairs rather than go to them. For some that’s got a lot of value. Ymmv

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

All I will say is that if you get it, you will usually pat yourself on the back if a major part fails within the warranty, it often pays for itself on the first repair on that alone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The best applecare is the Airpod Pros because coverage is super cheap and they have pretty poor long term battery health. Getting a replacement pair for free or cheap after 2 years is huge.

The most baller applecare is getting it for your phone and raw doggin' it no case. That's a power move.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
outside of the phone is the case. i didnt buy a circuit board and bag of loose parts. smdh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Taima posted:

The most baller applecare is getting it for your phone and raw doggin' it no case. That's a power move.

anyone who goes casefree earns my instant respect

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If they ever stop putting giant warts on the phone so it’ll rest flat on a surface I’ll gladly be casefree again

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I went case free for a while but now I need a quad lock mount on my phone so I use a case :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TACD posted:

If they ever stop putting giant warts on the phone so it’ll rest flat on a surface I’ll gladly be casefree again

With the 13/13 Pro the wart is so enormous and multi-elevation even the cases don't lie flat. Even the Apple ones.

I had to buy this enormously thick hard-plastic one that makes it feel like I'm lugging a loving elementary school pencil case around with me but at least it can accomplish the feat of "sit on a table"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao i will never stop laughing at how offended nerds get about the camera on their phone

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

well why not posted:

anyone who goes casefree earns my instant respect

What if I put one of those dbrand skins only on the back plate so I can fulfill my dream of my phone just being a thin brandless screen

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

lmao i will never stop laughing at how offended nerds get about the camera on their phone
It’s simultaneously the absolute pinnacle of first world problems that don’t matter at all and I should go outside, but also the most insanely stupid design decision from a company obsessed with sleek slimness that makes my eyes roll back in my head when I try to understand the reasoning behind it. Quite the emotional workout, 8/10

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Data Graham posted:

With the 13/13 Pro the wart is so enormous and multi-elevation even the cases don't lie flat. Even the Apple ones.

I had to buy this enormously thick hard-plastic one that makes it feel like I'm lugging a loving elementary school pencil case around with me but at least it can accomplish the feat of "sit on a table"

What, if you go caseless, does your phone levitate off of the table if you try to lay it down? Does it fly away like a basketball being rejected at the hoop?

I’m looking at my caseless 13 Pro Max sitting on my table right now. Not sure what your issue is.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
At the risk of indulging someone who might just be acting obtuse, I think people like to put the phone face-up on their desk and have it lie perfectly flat (such that you can't rock it back and forth by pushing on the corner adjacent to the camera i.e. top left)

I'm sympathetic to that, but I think it's mostly about pleasing some neurotic part of my brain. Also I really like the still and video image quality out of the phone and assume that it's not feasible (whether from a technical or cost angle) to reproduce that with flush cameras.

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 21, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TACD posted:

It’s simultaneously the absolute pinnacle of first world problems that don’t matter at all and I should go outside, but also the most insanely stupid design decision from a company obsessed with sleek slimness that makes my eyes roll back in my head when I try to understand the reasoning behind it. Quite the emotional workout, 8/10

Is it that hard to understand that they want a thin and light phone but the camera is physically too large to fit into the case?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TACD posted:

Idk, every time I use the phone and it’s smaller than it otherwise might’ve been while still keeping the same camera performance it makes perfect sense to me :shrug:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Love this phone chat in Mac land. So I will say… I prefer bump because picking up the phone is easier when it’s not completely flat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Taima posted:

The best applecare is the Airpod Pros because coverage is super cheap and they have pretty poor long term battery health. Getting a replacement pair for free or cheap after 2 years is huge.

Hmm, this is a really good idea :hmmyes:

e: drat, 60 day from purchase max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TACD posted:

a company obsessed with sleek slimness

Time to update your mental models. Ive left the company in 2019. The latest MBPs are much chunkier than their predecessors. The drive to thinner iPhones ended with the 6 in 2014 at 6.9mm. Every year since they’ve grown or stayed the same.

The company has been prioritizing battery life and camera performance for a few years now.