Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I appreciate the intellectual pursuit of watching something for the joy of critically analyzing it rather than the base enjoyment of the work itself

I admit I skim many of chiasaur's dumpster diving posts but I enjoy that they're there and I hope he gets satisfaction out of the exercise

I do. Especially because I sometimes run across things like Relic Armor Legaciam or Case; Irvine which, despite their reputations, turn out to have more entertaining or interesting qualities than expected.

There's only so much great anime, so learning to get something interesting out of mediocre or bad anime is useful. And writing things up lets me put my completionist tendencies to better use than their default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I might watch the show but only because I like the robots and I generally don't buy model kits from shows I haven't seen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ChadVision/status/1516865178851291139?s=20&t=n151_trR2uw0Lb6Bw0wvbA

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I finally got around to watching Eighty-Six. I've been describing it to friends as the good ideas from IBO, Darling in the Franxx, and Aldnoah Zero, without ending up being incredibly rear end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aldnoah Zero always makes me sad because it had a ton of stuff laser targeted at me and started out so well and turned to utter poo poo lol

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pyronic posted:

I finally got around to watching Eighty-Six. I've been describing it to friends as the good ideas from IBO, Darling in the Franxx, and Aldnoah Zero, without ending up being incredibly rear end.

What good ideas does it take from Darling?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk posted:

What good ideas does it take from Darling?

The love story was quite good. Darling in the Franxx was loving terrible but that's mostly because of how frustrating and lovely the last ten episodes were. But let's not pretend that episode 15 didn't have us all crying

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xabungle manga!

https://twitter.com/ebigcomic4/status/1517158937530933248?s=20&t=aZtn_wAUDPrH5pymb3Mtwg

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Not sure if I’m ready for realistic Xabungle character designs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ethiser posted:

Not sure if I’m ready for realistic Xabungle character designs.

the left image is from the Dougram manga

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who's writing it, and do they have any known gag manga chops?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

Who's writing it, and do they have any known gag manga chops?

I don't know if he's done any actual manga before this, but he's done a ton of Xabungle art doujins

https://twitter.com/umegrafix/status/1491415847276998658?s=20&t=1p2zWIk-R1sfME5e2_X21A

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The main thing 86 carried over from Aldnoah Zero was I-IV as the lead mechanical designer, and I appreciate that. Their ultra-sleek CGI aesthetic may not be to everyone's taste, but I, for one, genuinely dig it and would be happy to see them get more work.

Give us a model kit of the Nilokeras, cowards.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

The love story was quite good. Darling in the Franxx was loving terrible but that's mostly because of how frustrating and lovely the last ten episodes were. But let's not pretend that episode 15 didn't have us all crying

I don't think Darling has a monopoly on mecha romance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no reason to invoke that trash when selling an actually good show like 86

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk posted:

I don't think Darling has a monopoly on mecha romance.

Sure, but I would assume that 86 has a similar dynamic to it's romance

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What other mecha shows have compelling romance plots? I know macross has it as a whole thing, are there other examples?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Overman King Gainer has a good romance, but it doesn't really take center stage that often

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

What other mecha shows have compelling romance plots? I know macross has it as a whole thing, are there other examples?

It's not an exhaustive list, by any means, but romance was also a significant factor in at least:

• After War Gundam X
  • Eureka 7
  • Genesis of Aquarion
  • Aquarion Evol
  • Aquarion Logos
  • Basquash!
  • Full Metal Panic!
  • Godannar
  • Macross II
  • Macross Plus
  • Macross Zero
  • Macross Frontier
  • Macross Delta
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • RahXephon
  • SDF Macross
  • Visions of Escalflowne

The actual individual merits of each of those is, of course, up for debate, but I think Eureka 7, RahXephon and Escaflowne are worth watching at least, as are most of the Macross entries (SDF and Frontier especially, and Plus is quite widely beloved even if I think it's rather mediocre and coasting on good visuals personally). On that note, I didn't include Macross 7, because the romance isn't given as much focus in that one as in most others and the love triangle is never really explicitly resolved. I would also think Godannar is worth a watch, but it's only worth watching if you have a high tolerance for cheap anime fanservice and kind of cheesy Japanese comedy. The show is so awash in it that I think it loses any sexuality in very short order, but obviously your mileage on that will vary. That said, I do think it has quite a sweet take on a variety of romances and relationships if you're okay with those elements. I'm also a fan of the original Aquarion, but not Evol (and never saw Logos to comment on that). The show is quite generic, but I think it has some fun characters and good comedy, so it works for me.

I know Idolmaster Xenoglossia is rather infamous as the only work I know of that has an explicit romance between a human (an idol in this case) and a giant robot. I can't speak to the show at all, having never seen it, but it's worth mentioning for that aspect alone since that hook might catch someone's interest.

Other than those, there's some romances that run through shows like Nadesico, Symphogear etc. too, but they're not as important within the plot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Sure, but I would assume that 86 has a similar dynamic to it's romance

Nah, they're pretty different. DITF is 'boy meets sexy, tragic alien' in a way that seems closely inspired by the two main relationships in Eureka Seven, whereas 86 is more 'uptown girl meets downtown man deeply traumatised child soldier' in a way that seems loosely inspired by the relationship between Mikazuki and Kudelia in Iron-Blooded Orphans (or Heero and Relena, or Setsuna and Marina).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marina and Setsuna are not a romantic relationship

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think anyone cares for Plus's romance plot, but SDF and Frontier's both work really well. Escaflowne and RahXephon are also picks I'll back. E7 is also good, but it's too drat long and is becoming increasingly weighed down with absolute garbage sequels. FMP's romance is also generally good, but it end's up hitting a wall right after the anime ends and ends up weaseling around for a couple novels before poo poo gets back to where it was at the end of TSR. Crest of the Stars also has a great romance, or at least I assume it does since Lafiel was the first woman I ever had a crush on. Not a show but the Muv Luv VN's got two really well done relationships with the two main Heroines that's only increased in the sequels as the tension and drama gets ratcheted up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Marina and Setsuna are not a romantic relationship

Not exactly, no, but their relationship can inspire other writers' romances without being one itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think anyone cares for Plus's romance plot, but SDF and Frontier's both work really well. Escaflowne and RahXephon are also picks I'll back. E7 is also good, but it's too drat long and is becoming increasingly weighed down with absolute garbage sequels. FMP's romance is also generally good, but it end's up hitting a wall right after the anime ends and ends up weaseling around for a couple novels before poo poo gets back to where it was at the end of TSR. Crest of the Stars also has a great romance, or at least I assume it does since Lafiel was the first woman I ever had a crush on. Not a show but the Muv Luv VN's got two really well done relationships with the two main Heroines that's only increased in the sequels as the tension and drama gets ratcheted up.

The only other Eureka 7 media I ever watched beyond the original show was the first movie, which I don't remember anything about beyond finding it quite poo poo outside the new mech, and I'm quite happy to stick with that decision every time I hear about a new project. I'd also back Crest of the Stars, since I remember really enjoying the animations when I watched them years back (I keep meaning to go back and re-watch them). I tried reading the first novel when it came out years ago, but quickly got bored by it, honestly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross Plus's romance plot doesn't really add much when the dynamic with Guld confronting his own behavior is way more compelling. Myung and Isamu are also in denial of what really happened but their conflict resolution is more conventional compared to Guld.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One of the 86 Author's notes has them mentioning they wrote it to the first Iron-Blooded Orphans opening, so I'd say Shin and Lena definitely are the newest in that archetype.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Macross Plus's romance plot doesn't really add much when the dynamic with Guld confronting his own behavior is way more compelling. Myung and Isamu are also in denial of what really happened but their conflict resolution is more conventional compared to Guld.

Yeah OG and Frontiers triangles are an ends onto themselves whereas the triangle in Plus is a means to an ends.

Also now that I got my brain awake I'll shout out Big O for having a nice understated romance. Not the main point but it works well enough to be the crux of the ending.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Someday I should get around to season two of Big O. I really enjoyed season one, but it felt complete as is and I'd heard mixed things about the second season as well as knowing it was written later on Toonami's request.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014
Do we have any indication that 86 is getting another season?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

G1mby posted:

Do we have any indication that 86 is getting another season?

Only that it was extremely popular and well-received. I don't think they have specific plans, and the last episode felt like it was designed to serve as the finale of this adaptation, but there's nothing stopping them from animating a few more novels in a year's time if they choose to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

Someday I should get around to season two of Big O. I really enjoyed season one, but it felt complete as is and I'd heard mixed things about the second season as well as knowing it was written later on Toonami's request.

S2 gets a bad rep on places like /m/ because of how it was created, but even if it wasn't how the writers had planned initially the more EP to EP style of the Second Season gets pulled off very well. They set out to answer the mysteries and do so in a compelling way. You can argue that they shouldn't have, but their execution was spot on.

It also is a bit overblown by people who use tvtrope terms like "mindfuck" and poo poo like that, but it's really pretty clear and coherent. Maybe if you're a teen watching it on Toonami it might be strange, but the basic media literacy that one should've acquired by adulthood is more than enough to "get" the plot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The animation is flat out worse though

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Big O S1 basically has no weak episodes. S2 doesn't quite hold on to that record, but it's still very good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

Season 2 is great and you should watch it, probably immediately after watching season 1 again because it continues on from literally the shot that season 1 ends on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, if I was going to watch season 2 I'd definitely re-watch season 1 first, because I saw it like a decade or more ago and while I do have some memory of it, I know I've forgotten a lot and wouldn't be nearly as familiar as I should be for the second season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

S2 gets a bad rep on places like /m/ because of how it was created, but even if it wasn't how the writers had planned initially the more EP to EP style of the Second Season gets pulled off very well. They set out to answer the mysteries and do so in a compelling way. You can argue that they shouldn't have, but their execution was spot on.

It also is a bit overblown by people who use tvtrope terms like "mindfuck" and poo poo like that, but it's really pretty clear and coherent. Maybe if you're a teen watching it on Toonami it might be strange, but the basic media literacy that one should've acquired by adulthood is more than enough to "get" the plot.

With all due respect, Gaius, your expressed enthusiasm for "The Book of the New Sun" makes it a bit hard to take your word on the levels of confusion a series will inspire, in the same way I don't trust the winner of the Boston marathon when he suggests something would be a "light jog".

I agree that the second season of Big O is understandable in terms of the raw events, but the "why" is more complicated, and how bad that gets varies by viewer. If you're viewing things in terms of character motivation and emotional throughlines, it's not too difficult to track, but if mechanical logic is your focus, the show is much messier, with it intentionally making the Truth difficult to track for thematic reasons.

Another issue for some viewers is that the second season is much less episodic, which might be an unpleasant surprise if you liked the first season for the case of the week format.

Still, I agree it's worth seeing. Also, that /m is a bunch of contrarian mouth breathers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The main thing that makes Big O confusing is that it's being intentionally vague about a lot of things, particularly Memory & Memories which end up having multiple contradictory yet interlinked meanings and implications over the course of the show, often within the same episode in fact

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

G Gundam.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm not sure I'd call the romance in Star Driver compelling, but it was fun and I liked all the characters- except for the ones who either hosed off or got punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The romances in Dynazenon were good, both the one that worked and the one that didn't. Gridman had some romantic elements too, but they were all inconclusive and/or doomed.