Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Scott adams's wife left him with the kids after recently divorcing him iirc

He absolutely counts his two divorces as two of his "robberies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nobody forced her to respond to mild-to-moderate criticism with a weird insane essay full of citations by already discredited garbage sociologists; she chose to do that all on her own, and that was what moved her from "your fave is problematic" to "shut the gently caress up TERF." She had been coasting on decades of goodwill and made a concerted effort to tear it all down rather than taking a second to listen to criticism. Margaret Atwood also briefly flirted with TERF-adjacent gender essentialism and took a step back and reevaluated when this was pointed out to her; nobody prevented Rowling from doing the same.

there is no universe where Rowling wasn't going to root for trans genocide, all the twitter hate did was affect how comfortable she would feel about doing so in public
This is part of that feedback loop. It's tragic in that Greek sense where it's not hard to discern why any of this is happening yet it is completely unpreventable, and as much as it hurts to hear being an angry online person about it is part of that tragedy. Myself included. That's all.

Nucleic Acids posted:

:hmmyes:

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

That "baby living in pee" thing is straight up just a South Park joke.

Amniotic fluid is recycled through the fetal digestive/urinary system and the bladder fills and empties repeatedly as part of development. It really is all piss in the same reductive way that "lol honey is bee barf".

Bit of a jump to get from there to whatever the gently caress this is, though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Oh I wonder if the failure of the Dilberito and the Dilbert TV shows are two of the other ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1517180806569025541

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Stack Machine posted:

Amniotic fluid is recycled through the fetal digestive/urinary system and the bladder fills and empties repeatedly as part of development. It really is all piss in the same reductive way that "lol honey is bee barf".

If eating bee puke is wrong I don't wanna be right (apologies to the vegans)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

christ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stack Machine posted:

I ain't no piss baby!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mind the walrus posted:

This is part of that feedback loop. It's tragic in that Greek sense where it's not hard to discern why any of this is happening yet it is completely unpreventable, and as much as it hurts to hear being an angry online person about it is part of that tragedy. Myself included. That's all.

Oh yeah ok I can be on board with it being literally tragic but also I will continue to be angry.

I actually managed to convince a handful of friends that yeah she absolutely does suck, and I'm counting that as a small victory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

What does that have to do with The tweet he’s replying to

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
glad my brain automatically turns off when seeing matty y like people's tweets, i don't know what racist weird thing he's arguing it's blurred out in my vision like beck's stormtrooper helmet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does that have to do with The tweet he’s replying to
"Please pay no attention to Harvard's actual preferential admissions policy, let's talk about the one that lives in my head, where reverse discrimination is real!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s lazy even for Marty

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

glad my brain automatically turns off when seeing matty y like people's tweets, i don't know what racist weird thing he's arguing it's blurred out in my vision like beck's stormtrooper helmet
Shatter goggles, but for terrible columnist tweets.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Please pay no attention to Harvard's actual preferential admissions policy, let's talk about the one that lives in my head, where reverse discrimination is real!"

He owes his entire life and career to nepotism, of course he doesn’t want people talking about that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh yeah ok I can be on board with it being literally tragic but also I will continue to be angry.

I actually managed to convince a handful of friends that yeah she absolutely does suck, and I'm counting that as a small victory.

Yeah I'm in your corner on this. Being existentially mopey is just something I felt like pointing out because sometimes the whole "mask off" thing ignores that we're all participants in this, even when the ethics/morals shake out in our favor.

I regularly get into spats with folk who refuse to stop supporting Harry Potter because "I grew up with it and it's so dear to me" and like yeah man so was Buffy to me, but when it's time to let go you have to let go. You can still appreciate parts but like, it never should have been core to your identity and sense of self to begin with.

Nucleic Acids posted:

He owes his entire life and career to nepotism, of course he doesn’t want people talking about that.
Ironically giving a huge gently caress about "meritocracy" as a smokescreen for hating on minorities and dirty poors is one of the most common things a person can choose to be

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

So, the "least privileged segment of the white population" includes legacy students, children of faculty and staff, students on the dean's list and students whose family has donated to Harvard? Is that what he's saying?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Zero_Grade posted:

Shatter goggles, but for terrible columnist tweets.

Ok, but do they actually work properly? Dying because my brain accidently reassembled the Parrot is one thing, but waking up one night and realizing that my I've seen enough partial tweets by Bloomberg libs to fill in the blanks is some next level horror poo poo.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mind the walrus posted:

I regularly get into spats with folk who refuse to stop supporting Harry Potter because "I grew up with it and it's so dear to me" and like yeah man so was Buffy to me, but when it's time to let go you have to let go. You can still appreciate parts but like, it never should have been core to your identity and sense of self to begin with.

Perhaps it's not "core to my identity and sense of self" but I very much enjoy Harry Potter for what it is, despite listening to Potterless and hearing gaping plot holes blown open. I can enjoy an author's work while acknowledging they are a piece of poo poo, like I do with JKR or GRRM. Likewise, I'm sure I could admire an author personally while finding their work garbage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Perhaps it's not "core to my identity and sense of self" but I very much enjoy Harry Potter for what it is, despite listening to Potterless and hearing gaping plot holes blown open. I can enjoy an author's work while acknowledging they are a piece of poo poo, like I do with JKR or GRRM. Likewise, I'm sure I could admire an author personally while finding their work garbage.
The choice to purchase and patronize a living author and enable their platforming is the dividing line. Using "well I can separate the art from the artist :smug:" or "It was very foundational to me" as a smokescreen for that choice is perfectly valid... provided you're not actually still buying their poo poo. If you say that while still going to the theme parks or talking about how much you love Chocolate frogs, you don't get to act surprised when people (correctly) say that's kind-of some selfish bullshit. That's not at you, that was just my point to begin with.

And this is coming from a cis/het dude who has been on the wrong side of an LGBTQ+ mob thanks to petty politics and doesn't really "get" anything from that community and never has, so it's not like I'm coming at this from a place of "but it's different when the author threatens me/my loved ones" specifically. Rowling isn't Orson Scott Card or GRRM or Atwood where the damage is largely on the downlow. She's very much an active fire kind-of deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait why is GRRM a piece of poo poo. He lost interest in finishing his books but that’s not terribly uncommon

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Another one is totally normal guy Robert Heinlein's Door Into Summer, in which he he travels back in time and before going into hibernation he visits an 11-year-old daughter of a business partner at girl scout camp and has her go into hibernation when she becomes an adult so they could bang in the future

The Door Into Summer was the very first grown-up novel I read. I was in fourth grade. At the time I thought it was the sweetest thing.

There was a Japanese film adapted from this story, and they made it... um, slightly less creepy by making the little girl an adopted sister instead of a friend's daughter. And their age gap was reduced by like twenty years.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Cloacamazing! posted:

So, the "least privileged segment of the white population" includes legacy students, children of faculty and staff, students on the dean's list and students whose family has donated to Harvard? Is that what he's saying?

I think he’s saying that since the people on that list are gonna get in regardless, when you do an affirmative action it stops the Asians and whites who actually “earned” admission from getting in. Maybe? But even if that’s what he meant it’s still really stupid and racist.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

Nah, he's saying the rich well-connected kids are taking all the "white kid" slots and therefore affirmative action is actually oppressing poorer white kids

So obviously affirmative action is the problem. It's classic "the effects are bad but the causes are very good".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest I think your giving him to much credit. He’s just regurgitating a talking point even if it doesn’t make sense in context

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gort posted:

How would you not know that going in

He wasn’t that old when they got married

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait why is GRRM a piece of poo poo. He lost interest in finishing his books but that’s not terribly uncommon

Not entirely sure about Atwood either. I know there was a moment where it looked like she was going to the TERFs but then she course-corrected pretty quick and I think she even called them obsessed during an interview when someone kept trying to get her to agree with the "gender critical" people.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Upthread was a discussion of Varley and his weird sex-tween poo poo - GRRM wrote about a :nms:tween being gangraped by a mob including the largest man in Westeros:nms:, among other underage sex poo poo. Littlefinger's unhealthy crush on a 14-year-old, Khal Drogo and his 13-year-old, etc. He's one weird motherfucker no matter how much I like the series.

mind the walrus posted:

The choice to purchase and patronize a living author and enable their platforming is the dividing line. Using "well I can separate the art from the artist :smug:" or "It was very foundational to me" as a smokescreen for that choice is perfectly valid... provided you're not actually still buying their poo poo. If you say that while still going to the theme parks or talking about how much you love Chocolate frogs, you don't get to act surprised when people (correctly) say that's kind-of some selfish bullshit. That's not at you, that was just my point to begin with.

I want to go to Harry Potter World or whatever the gently caress it is at Islands of Adventure, and I still reread the books at least once every couple of years. I want to share the movies and books with my kids. Maybe that's enabling JKR and maybe it's not woke but I'm not gonna drop a series just cause the author's a turd :shrug:

EDIT: I'll take my free call-me-an-rear end in a top hat now :v:

D34THROW has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Apr 21, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

all the jabbering about whorehouses and what gets some dirty medieval redneck's dick hard in game of thrones was so incredibly boring, and that's just from watching the show. I can't be bothered to read the books

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you ever catch a post from A GLISTENING HODOR in the wild, their av text is from the least gross sex scene in the books.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neito posted:

I was in my early teens during the height of Dilmania, and I get it. IT was like, for the first time, someone kinda got the weird bullshit I was saying, and when you're a teenager, you definitely feel like the misunderstood genius in the room and if only everyone would listen to you, things would just work out fine.

I think what's also true is what someone said early about JK. He was very good at being public without revealing too much. Until Twitter, his public persona was very well-calculated and groomed to back up his genius persona; keep in mind that this stuff was 25 years ago, and it's only within the last 5 years that we've really seen him melt down.

Neito posted:

I feel like Monroe also learned empathy at some point in his life, whereas Scott wrote a whole book titled "Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel" about exploiting others for your own benefit because all humans other than you are morons.

Yeeeeah that particular spin of "actually you are a singular brain genius and everyone else around you is holding you back" sure is appealing for an increasingly burnt-out gifted kid. And then I grew the gently caress up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

D34THROW posted:

Upthread was a discussion of Varley and his weird sex-tween poo poo - GRRM wrote about a :nms:tween being gangraped by a mob including the largest man in Westeros:nms:, among other underage sex poo poo. Littlefinger's unhealthy crush on a 14-year-old, Khal Drogo and his 13-year-old, etc. He's one weird motherfucker no matter how much I like the series.

I want to go to Harry Potter World or whatever the gently caress it is at Islands of Adventure, and I still reread the books at least once every couple of years. I want to share the movies and books with my kids. Maybe that's enabling JKR and maybe it's not woke but I'm not gonna drop a series just cause the author's a turd :shrug:

EDIT: I'll take my free call-me-an-rear end in a top hat now :v:

I mean the person specially says they like their work so I doubt that’s it unless they are fans of his non GOT work I guess

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

mind the walrus posted:

Rowling isn't Orson Scott Card or GRRM or Atwood where the damage is largely on the downlow. She's very much an active fire kind-of deal.

um, Orson Scott Card actively campaigned against Prop 8 and was on the board for the National Board for Marriage, so no he's not on the downlow.

OSC Wikipedia says posted:

In Songmaster, a man falls in love with a 15-year-old castrato in a pederastic society. Their sexual union has "creepy overtones" that makes the teenager "unable to have sex again."

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

And this is coming from a cis/het dude who has been on the wrong side of an LGBTQ+ mob thanks to petty politics and doesn't really "get" anything from that community and never has

:kstare:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

mind the walrus posted:

And this is coming from a cis/het dude who has been on the wrong side of an LGBTQ+ mob thanks to petty politics and doesn't really "get" anything from that community and never has, so it's not like I'm coming at this from a place of "but it's different when the author threatens me/my loved ones" specifically. Rowling isn't Orson Scott Card or GRRM or Atwood where the damage is largely on the downlow. She's very much an active fire kind-of deal.

wait w hat did margret atwood do? is she going terf crazy?

also orson scott card is still alive and still loving with anti lgbt poo poo. he just isnt on twitter saying god hates fwords. but he has several blogs where he says exactly that.

edit - yeah she kind of is albiet not to the same extent as jk rowling.

snergle has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Apr 21, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

nashona posted:

um, Orson Scott Card actively campaigned against Prop 8 and was on the board for the National Board for Marriage, so no he's not on the downlow.

Also of note related to this is Stephenie Meyer gushing with her love of Card as her favorite living author (even before you get to her treatises glorifying abusive relationships that were the Twilight novels).

On the flip side, while Rowling is definitely one of the most actively awful examples, she is ironically a good example of those terrible views largely not being front and center in her work (unlike an author like Meyer or Terry Goodkind). I'm not saying they're the paragon of modern progressive writing, but you can enjoy them while recognizing a few problematic points, and they did a lot of good in their time getting kids to read more and telling a story that genuinely inspired many.

As was said earlier, you can draw the line by not supporting the artist actively and be able to separate them from their art (varies from case to case, of course). If you're searching for ideological purity in what media you consume, you're going to find you have nothing left to read or watch or listen to. Everything is going to have a problematic element, but you need to consume your media critically and be able to recognize it for what it is and move on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

D34THROW posted:

I want to share the movies and books with my kids. Maybe that's enabling JKR and maybe it's not woke but I'm not gonna drop a series just cause the author's a turd :shrug:

This is the challenge I have: I don't care for the Harry Potter books and JK Rowling is very much a POS, but they are so popular that if I stop my children reading them because of my opposition to the author's opinions, they will 100% feel like they are missing out on an important thing that all their friends like.

My compromise is that every time they mention JK Rowling, I explain to them in great depth how it's important to remember that she is a bad person who hates people for wanting to be themselves. They are not quite at the stage of boycotting her yet, but they no longer roll their eyes at me for saying it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bravely defending their gays despite their pettiness. The straight man’s burden

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nashona posted:

snergle posted:

also orson scott card is still alive and still loving with anti lgbt poo poo. he just isnt on twitter saying god hates fwords. but he has several blogs where he says exactly that.

Let's not forget that the evil aliens in Ender's Game are the "buggers" and the entire story is a complex series of events designed to make it okay that this kid committed genocide against them.

For a guy who really hates gays he sure does like to write about naked boys wrestling each other and big floppy holo-dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've never read them but from the summaries and stuff I've heard I always assumed the sequels were largely about how that hosed him up and how the genocide wasn't really all that cool at all.