Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

Imagine being nice to someone just because you think that it's better for people to experience pleasant things than unpleasant ones, what a crazy idea

Nah, the only reason to be nice to people is if it improves your Gamer Lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RabidWeasel posted:

Imagine being nice to someone just because you think that it's better for people to experience pleasant things than unpleasant ones, what a crazy idea

You can be nice for any reasons you want, they're still not your friends.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive been playing their games for so long I feel we are at least acquaintances

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-43-the-american-civil-war.1521383/

oh no, they wore the same hat! how embarrassing

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

clear example of whitewashing. smh

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Popoto posted:

You’re talking about something different than everyone else is and it’s weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goons learning what parasocial means has been a blight on the community, because they just parrot it with minimal understanding just so they can be smug.

Because it makes zero sense in this context

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like this DD.

Fray posted:

You’re talking about something different than everyone else is and it’s weird.
No see this is all about being friends with the devs, here are my examples,

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 21, 2022

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Popoto posted:

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships. I'm wishing the dev team well not because I wish them good health as friends, but because I want a really good game from them.

Which the leak has proven they are on their path to delivering. It's why PDX's message of "even the people telling us they're enjoying the unfinished product are wrong and also hurting our morale" is dumb as poo poo, because it's proof that the path they're on is the good one, no matter the current circumstances. I get, though, that they can't openly say ever that they agree with that message, since it would be like tacitly saying the leak was good.

Bottom line: the half finished game is looking good and hopefully the team delivers on what they've promised so far in the dev diaries, in return I'll reward Paradox with some cash and a thumbs up on the steam review page, as will many others.

lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Popoto posted:

You can be nice to people who aren't your friends and who you'll never meet just because it's a good thing to give people kindness.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That's a good DD. Reconstruction having full representation is very, very nice. The journal system looks like it could lead to some very, very good flavor.

Edit: Which is kind of funny because like, mechanically the journal system isn't -really- anything new. It's amazing how much presentation matters for stuff like this, it just looks so much more fun this way.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 21, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I don't think the Paradox devs need to be consoled like they just lost a loved one because their alpha got leaked. Especially after half this thread has already admitted to playing it, and has been continuously posting about it.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Popoto posted:

They're saying it very roughly, but they're actually right: PDX devs are not your friends. Thinking so is falling into the trap of parasocial relationships. I'm wishing the dev team well not because I wish them good health as friends, but because I want a really good game from them.

Which the leak has proven they are on their path to delivering. It's why PDX's message of "even the people telling us they're enjoying the unfinished product are wrong and also hurting our morale" is dumb as poo poo, because it's proof that the path they're on is the good one, no matter the current circumstances. I get, though, that they can't openly say ever that they agree with that message, since it would be like tacitly saying the leak was good.

Bottom line: the half finished game is looking good and hopefully the team delivers on what they've promised so far in the dev diaries, in return I'll reward Paradox with some cash and a thumbs up on the steam review page, as will many others.

Don't cut yourself on all that edge my dude.

This looks good as hell, hopefully other conflicts are also this well detailed! And thank you very much for keeping to the historical reasons why the war started, rather than trying to appease revisionists embarrassed by the slaveowners they idolize.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Journal system is basically just an improved version of the EU mission system right?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Popoto posted:

Ofaloaf is real & strong & he is my friend

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Journal system is basically just an improved version of the EU mission system right?

It seems like the ultimate combination of all of their decision/mission/disaster systems to me tbh. If nothing else it seems infinitely more readable. You can actually expand entries enough to make them readable, unlike the UI of other games where you had to read off a hundred variables/modifiers off of a tooltip. Plus it can split situations up into multiple journal entries. The Ottoman AAR had the ultimate goal of reform basically requiring x number of journal entries completed, then you could choose a bunch of different entries to work with that all had their own specific goal sets. And then also disasters like the Sick Man of Europe that had to be worked against/with leading to different results. Honestly I'd say it's mostly a presentation difference, but the presentation was never very good previously and this seems way way better. It seems really cool and also like very good dlc/mod fodder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I don't think the Paradox devs need to be consoled like they just lost a loved one because their alpha got leaked. Especially after half this thread has already admitted to playing it, and has been continuously posting about it.

Are you like 12.

How did someone do young find this site

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't touched the alpha but I think Imperator missions and CK3 suggestions are the best thing that happened to PDX gameplay since they've stopped marking fulfilled and unfulfilled conditions with green and red asterix, so I hope Victoria 3 journal is the combination of those.

But I like thought it's the same thing that Stellaris has?..

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

But I like thought it's the same thing that Stellaris has?..
Which one? Stellaris has event chains that dont get entries in the situation log, event chains that do get entries in the event log, and stuff like archaeology which are in separate menus.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I know it's still early on, but there's just something graphically not quite right about the way the borders look in this:

At least in my opinion. They look too jaggedy in some parts, I guess? Pixelated. Maybe the contrast could be a bit fine-tuned or something. I hope they'll smooth things out as we get closer to release.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I really need to see some video of the map in motion tbh. I just cannot understand/parse the style from static screenshots and I can't tell if it's intentional or in progress or if it just looks a lot different in motion. V2 had an amazingly clear and detailed map by the end, I loved it, so hoping I'll love this one too.

Edit: vvvvv https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-31-journal-entries.1508059/ there you go

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 21, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's sad that the ACW DevDiary had to clarify that the conflict was indeed because of that slavery thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Which one? Stellaris has event chains that dont get entries in the situation log, event chains that do get entries in the event log, and stuff like archaeology which are in separate menus.

So Vic3 journal is different from situation log? Events go there?..

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I know it's still early on, but there's just something graphically not quite right about the way the borders look in this:

At least in my opinion. They look too jaggedy in some parts, I guess? Pixelated. Maybe the contrast could be a bit fine-tuned or something. I hope they'll smooth things out as we get closer to release.

I think it just looks weird because Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida haven't seceded, and there's a jagged part of Virginia sticking out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ilitarist posted:

It's sad that the ACW DevDiary had to clarify that the conflict was indeed because of that slavery thing.

Yes, like Zeron said in the post before yours, it does many things:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-31-journal-entries.1508059/

quote:

Journal Entries fulfill a variety of narrative and mechanical purposes in Victoria 3 - they can be optional goals the player can pursue, imminent disasters, anchors for ongoing situations, and much more. You can think of the Journal as items on the government’s agenda, situations that you can engage with (or not) to whatever extent best fits your goals and situation.

In Stellaris and EU4 those things are all over the place and frequently come with (to me and a bunch of my friends, anyway) incessant popups. For EU4 things like disasters, missions, and Estate quests are all in different menus, while for V3 they will be in one unified menu. Also, it sounds to me like instead of popups we'll get unobtrusive notifications that something in our journal may need our attention.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DrSunshine posted:

this is what peak civil war looks like

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i will only be happy if there is a slider for "slavery debate in x state" events that I can crank up to max

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i will only be happy if there is a slider for "slavery debate in x state" events that I can crank up to max

turning a big dial taht says "Slavery" on it and constantly looking back at the pops for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Forget first tractor in x state, a new popup event every single time an individual pop gains access to tractors. It's the only way.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ilitarist posted:

I don't think it was necessary, but I just really wanted to come in with both hands swinging.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't think it was necessary, but I just really wanted to come in with both hands swinging.

I was glad to see a disclaimer like that. Surely it won't head off all people mouthing off but it's something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

I was hootin and hollerin, I love it.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Popoto posted:

I, too, consider my fellow human beings in terms of their utility value, not made-up stuff like empathy. I am very rational.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

For EU4 things like disasters, missions, and Estate quests are all in different menus, while for V3 they will be in one unified menu.

My one concern with this consolidation is how easy it'll be to parse, especially for new players. In the dev diary the journal entries looked like a list of similar-looking items that presumably would require different amounts of attention. Hopefully it'll be possible to easily differentiate between big nation-specific content or imminent disasters and the more generic or passive stuff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ilitarist posted:

It's pretty similar to the situation log but the underlying system is a lot more flexible, powerful and easy to work with.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quixzlizx posted:

I think it just looks weird because Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida haven't seceded, and there's a jagged part of Virginia sticking out.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the graphics, like how the black borders are higher fidelity than the colored borders, which causes the lines to not match up. The colored borders should literally just be the black ones but 10x thicker and aligned into the country.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know how this consolidation will work but I hope is not like in CK3

In CK3 we have that alerts thing in the middle of the screen that, if I understand, was meant to consolidate this kind of stuff.

But is very annoying how it keeps popping up with new stuff (often actually stuff that you already dismissed) all the time, and plus you still have notifications in the lower right side of the screen, plus messages at the top of the screen. Is too much

Also the lists inside that alert box soon will get too big to be useful since they have very little detail about each item and no sorting/filtering options. So soon for example you have a list of wars you can declare that is huge and ordered by ? and you cant know anything about each war except who you are declaring it to unless you click the item and so is completelly useless

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

My one concern with this consolidation is how easy it'll be to parse, especially for new players. In the dev diary the journal entries looked like a list of similar-looking items that presumably would require different amounts of attention. Hopefully it'll be possible to easily differentiate between big nation-specific content or imminent disasters and the more generic or passive stuff.

This is from the most recent AAR. You can prioritize manually by favoriting/adding it to the outliner...hmm outside of that the icons appear unique so having some sort of additional icon to indicate whether it's a disaster/unique country objective/generic objective probably wouldn't be too far out.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know how this consolidation will work but I hope is not like in CK3

In CK3 we have that alerts thing in the middle of the screen that, if I understand, was meant to consolidate this kind of stuff.

But is very annoying how it keeps popping up with new stuff (often actually stuff that you already dismissed) all the time, and plus you still have notifications in the lower right side of the screen, plus messages at the top of the screen. Is too much

Also the lists inside that alert box soon will get too big to be useful since they have very little detail about each item and no sorting/filtering options. So soon for example you have a list of wars you can declare that is huge and ordered by ? and you cant know anything about each war except who you are declaring it to unless you click the item and so is completelly useless

The suggestions/alert thing is still there. I think it'll work better, the CK3 one is a bit annoying because the balance between what is considered an event/suggestion/popup/on map event etc is really odd.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Popoto posted:

I hope Wiz still remembers my Creteposting fondly at least. :shobon:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the music is wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ofaloaf posted:

Thank you for doing it. I think it's necessary to send those periodic reminders to your community.