Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

They said they were moving CC away from DPS, which is entirely reasonable.

So are they gonna make Mei a tank now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That wouldn't be unreasonable.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

headcase posted:

Well I don't remember it being marketed as an FPS and only 4/~30 characters have a somewhat traditional ranged hitscan so it can't be. It's more of a challenge mode "you can try to play an FPS in a non FPS game, but good luck with it."

I mean the first set of hero’s were a majority ports of TF2 characters, Road hog, Soldier 76, Zarya, McCree, Zen, Lucio, Winston, and Reinhardt.

Outside of Rein and Winston, the rest are 100% fps characters. Just because they aren’t CoD/CS assault rifles doesn’t mean they aren’t FPS like. Quake and UT have a lot of non rifle weapons and they are 100% FPS games.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

headcase posted:

Well I don't remember it being marketed as an FPS and only 4/~30 characters have a somewhat traditional ranged hitscan so it can't be. It's more of a challenge mode "you can try to play an FPS in a non FPS game, but good luck with it."

Apex has two hitscan weapons out of 28, is it not an FPS?

TF2 is still the closest comparison to Overwatch that I can think of but that game is very different in ways that don't really fly in the current industry. More players, dedicated servers, progression not directly tied to performance etc. Afaik Engineer and Spy weren't viable in competitive TF2 and there's a whole slew of weapon loadouts that weren't competitive but who cares when the game that most people will be playing is a casual clusterfuck. This doesn't work in a ranked matchmaking scenario especially when the characters are distinct personalities that people can latch on, so there's always been friction between FPS and uhh not-FPS players with Blizzard managing to mostly please neither. We'll see how OW2 pans out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Jack Trades posted:

That wouldn't be unreasonable.

AFAIK they've tested moving Mei into the tank role but couldn't get it right so they changed her freeze to a slow.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

She’s practically a tank already, according to their new idea of what a tank is. Low damage, CC and disruptive abilities, can make herself tougher temporarily. She doesn’t have a barrier for her team to be behind, but they seem to consider that optional now*.

* I have a sneaky suspicion that, when OW2 comes out, the tanks who still have barriers (so maybe just Rein?) will suddenly be the only tanks anyone ever plays; cue shocked Pikachu face from the devs

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

megane posted:

She’s practically a tank already, according to their new idea of what a tank is. Low damage, CC and disruptive abilities, can make herself tougher temporarily. She doesn’t have a barrier for her team to be behind, but they seem to consider that optional now*.

* I have a sneaky suspicion that, when OW2 comes out, the tanks who still have barriers (so maybe just Rein?) will suddenly be the only tanks anyone ever plays; cue shocked Pikachu face from the devs

It is so important to be able to hold space without feeding ult. It's definitely the best ability in the game since ults are so important and objectives are so important.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

idk if they're still doing this but they were also testing tanks giving less ult-charge in OW2.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sakara123 posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how they go with map design though, some of them are notoriously bad for being unpleasant without barriers.
A :effort: solution would be to litter maps with immobile Orisa Classic-style barriers that enter a cool down once broken before reforming.

Is there still no word on the PvE campaign beyond 'delayed?'

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Apex has two hitscan weapons out of 28, is it not an FPS?

TF2 is still the closest comparison to Overwatch that I can think of but that game is very different in ways that don't really fly in the current industry. More players, dedicated servers, progression not directly tied to performance etc. Afaik Engineer and Spy weren't viable in competitive TF2 and there's a whole slew of weapon loadouts that weren't competitive but who cares when the game that most people will be playing is a casual clusterfuck. This doesn't work in a ranked matchmaking scenario especially when the characters are distinct personalities that people can latch on, so there's always been friction between FPS and uhh not-FPS players with Blizzard managing to mostly please neither. We'll see how OW2 pans out.

It depends the style of TF2. They are played full time in Highlander. In 6s, Spy and engineer are viable in competitive, but only at certain points. Their limited mobility means they aren’t always ran outside of last holds and stalemates. That’s more of a map pool issue that 6s coalesced around instead of a problem with the classes themselves.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm going to miss notorious war criminal Mei.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I'm going to miss notorious war criminal Mei.
:yooge:
There are some bad Sombras out there, let me tell you.

They're coming over the border and taking our teleporter technologies! They're throwers, they're smurfs, they're carried. And some, I assume, are good hackers.

Build. The. Wall!
Build. The. Wall!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KirstenGrind/status/1517143508410257412

lmao

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Yeah, Blizzard's gonna Blizz.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1517130449298075655?t=HmqZn1eD9qdzUAUuYBrkpw&s=19

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXbHkUp2izk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8auFAjOk3Qw

New Doom and new Orisa look fun???

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunBOn439dc
Sojourn looks like she's gotta be tuned down a bit lol

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I still want a hero with a real ironsight rifle like COD2. Ashe's feels more like a scope. I want very fast scoping with very little zoom and FOV change and you actually the use the sight on the gun illustration to line things up. Feels better to me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1517178683525832709

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Junkrat's trap is a slow now instead of a full stop. Booo! Boooo!!!!!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

....That's barely worth using.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, they probably should have killed McCree off instead of renaming him and reimagining whatever ... this is.

Reserving final judgement until it's out, but all of what I've seen so far looks like steps down from what I actually enjoyed.

So many heroes were valid counterpicks, all this looks so ... arbitrary and boring. Bleh.

Maybe it's just me, but I for one do not want to basically relearn a game.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 21, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm still cracking up at Orisa getting a spinning cane and whoever tf came up with that idea

headcase posted:

I still want a hero with a real ironsight rifle like COD2. Ashe's feels more like a scope. I want very fast scoping with very little zoom and FOV change and you actually the use the sight on the gun illustration to line things up. Feels better to me.

New map: Stalingrad

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Junkrat's trap is a slow now instead of a full stop. Booo! Boooo!!!!!
He better get two simultaneous traps with faster cool down for this besmirchment. :mad:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
As someone who just found this game 9 months ago and is hooked. What is CC you guys always reference?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Crowd Control, meaning stuns/slows or other movement impairing effects. They're widely hated by the community, but they're also kind of unavoidable because OW uses instant acceleration movement and tiny hitboxes so without them a lot of stuff would just never die.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 21, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man all this looks awful. If all you wanted Was Pure Shootman why not play something that has better shooting instead of gutting everything remotely interesting.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Yeah, they probably should have killed McCree off instead of renaming him and reimagining whatever ... this is.

Reserving final judgement until it's out, but all of what I've seen so far looks like steps down from what I actually enjoyed.

So many heroes were valid counterpicks, all this looks so ... arbitrary and boring. Bleh.

Maybe it's just me, but I for one do not want to basically relearn a game.

IMO I'm happy with drastic reworks, but they've got to be interesting or fun. Giving McCree a Halo sticky bomb that does less damage than a headshot gives him....what exactly? Why would I want that? Is that significantly different from soldier's rocket launcher? It looks flatout worse.

Like, I get that CC is annoying as hell. I play tank (Rein and ball, mostly). But McCree is one of the slowest characters in the game and his flashbang has a very short range to it. Is there really a need to ditch it entirely?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv I must have missed when that happened.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 21, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's not as bad as when Geoff effectively ruined Roadhog bad enough to make picking him a kickable offense, but it's pretty close.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Father Wendigo posted:

He better get two simultaneous traps with faster cool down for this besmirchment. :mad:

My absolute favorite thing in the world was doing a trap + mine combo off to the side on King's Row if I was defending, and if they had a tracer they would 100% of the time get trapped and I'd instantly detonate the mine and kill them. It was hilarious every single time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man all this looks awful. If all you wanted Was Pure Shootman why not play something that has better shooting instead of gutting everything remotely interesting.

That's basically what happened between Valorant and Apex and I definitely wonder about the wisdom of going after that section of the playerbase instead of the people still enjoying the game. It's also Blizz's focus on the pro-scene coming out because pros have generally been the loudest voices about not adding CC and increasing the lethality/decreasing healing and generally just minimizing the extent that the game is decided by ultimates. That said, a bunch of those pros are now competing in other games instead.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's basically what happened between Valorant and Apex and I definitely wonder about the wisdom of going after that section of the playerbase instead of the people still enjoying the game.
I thought that's what the PvE was supposed to be for, since PvP tilting people toward toxicity is apparently a foregone conclusion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's a cuuuhrazeh idea!
Maybe DPS characters not being able to do literally everything is in fact a good idea?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

With all the stuns turning to slows, I wonder if it could actually be less pleasant in some cases. With the right team, how long could you keep someone continuously in mud?

Also there is less reason to save your slows to counter an ult or charge. Might as well keep the tank permaslowed.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Crowd Control, meaning stuns/slows or other movement impairing effects. They're widely hated by the community, but they're also kind of unavoidable because OW uses instant acceleration movement and tiny hitboxes so without them a lot of stuff would just never die.

Appreciate it!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm still cracking up at Orisa getting a spinning cane and whoever tf came up with that idea

the wild creativity necessary to give an African character "spear, but futuristic", where do they come up with these original concepts

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

idk this looks fun:

https://twitter.com/BadPachimari/status/1517211402532016128

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the wild creativity necessary to give an African character "spear, but futuristic", where do they come up with these original concepts

how many of the black characters have 'runs faster' or 'jumps higher' as part of their kit

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

It's Tracer's ult with more range, no damage and it makes them slower. Yay?
They could have kept it as as a flashbang that didn't stop someone from moving and just slowed them down/blinded them.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Oh boy…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nutsak posted:

It's Tracer's ult with more range, no damage and it makes them slower. Yay?
They could have kept it as as a flashbang that didn't stop someone from moving and just slowed them down/blinded them.

IDK it looks like it does quite a bit there? I'm not sure what the number is but that Lucio looked pretty healthy when he got bombed