Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I usually skip mark trail, is the final panel text box a routine thing? Because yikes if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really hope Phantom's mission goes off swimmingly and then Mozz is like "huh, guess I was barking up the wrong tree there, anyway"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I really hope Phantom's mission goes off swimmingly and then Mozz is like "huh, guess I was barking up the wrong tree there, anyway"

It was just part of Mozz' plan to get the Phantom to rescue her.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I usually skip mark trail, is the final panel text box a routine thing? Because yikes if so

It started coming into prevelance a while back and has just never left

I wasn't as down on the comic before but the narration box has killed my drive to read it entirely.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
At least that latest Mark Trail text box is actually somewhat humorous. The others I've read added no value.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

The new Mark Trail universe is comically small with how often the same characters cycle in. This is the 3rd time with Bee Sharp? ... out of 4? Of course that's true with Cricket too. I can only hope Daggers shows up tomorrow.

For somebody who proudly boasted that "Mark Trail is a handsome man" and we were gonna get loads of dude fan service because Jules is a hip young lady, we haven't actually seen any of that since the jokes in the first week of strips.

At this point I think a lot of classic comic IP pick ups by new artists are supremely cynical "I can make some pocket change for half a day of effort a month" side hustles. I know newspaper comics aren't exactly THE BIG MONEY but Trail and Nancy are some pretty egregious trend setters.

My Lovely Horse posted:

does Jules think comic book stores are a highly Portland-specific thing and when you go you have to take the opportunity to buy a graphic novel the way you have to try the pizza when you're in NYC and the cheesesteak when you're in Philly?

does Jules think Rusty wouldn't know what a comic is or that there aren't any about cryptids?

is, not to put too fine a point on it, the only difference between Jules and James Allen that she's got the correct basic political attitude and does that, while a good thing in and of itself, not kind of confirm the right-wing narrative that that's the only thing that counts in getting an artistic job these days, because the selling point of New Mark Trail sure as gently caress isn't her stellar storytelling ability or breathtakingly detailed artwork?

Once again I have to ask, why do we even still have Mark Trail? Like, why do we continue to produce it? It's not like Mark Trail is a big name or even a recognizable one like Hagar the Horrible or Family Circus. There's no merch to be sold. There's no big fanbase to get upset if the strip ended (and whatever amount of those types of fans it had were driven away by Jules).

There is literally no need to have this character in the paper anymore. No one is calling for it. If the only way to "preserve" Mark Trail is to strip away everything that makes it identifiably Mark Trail then maybe it's not that important to have Mark Trail.

(Everything I just said goes for Nancy as well, but Nancy definitely still has greater recognizability than Marky.)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mildly Unsettling Gary

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vargo posted:

Once again I have to ask, why do we even still have Mark Trail? Like, why do we continue to produce it? It's not like Mark Trail is a big name or even a recognizable one like Hagar the Horrible or Family Circus. There's no merch to be sold. There's no big fanbase to get upset if the strip ended (and whatever amount of those types of fans it had were driven away by Jules).

There is literally no need to have this character in the paper anymore. No one is calling for it. If the only way to "preserve" Mark Trail is to strip away everything that makes it identifiably Mark Trail then maybe it's not that important to have Mark Trail.

(Everything I just said goes for Nancy as well, but Nancy definitely still has greater recognizability than Marky.)

Nu Mark and Nu Nancy both have the same positive thing going for them, and that is that it likely pisses off the old guard that was upset that the old, creatives were let go due to lack of talent, or lovely political views, or just general fucker status.

That's about it. You could replace the name recognition of Nancy with an OC named Sally, who lives with her aunt Mitzi and her best friend Puncho, and the jokes would be about as good. It's still the overall story about a little girl who likes sweets, and doesn't like chores, but set in the modern day. Yeah, a lot of it is the same joke recycled over and over, but so is every other strip here.

Nu Mark has a little tougher row to hoe as this story is a modern reboot, where rather than being an adventurer forest ranger, this mark is more on the blogger/activist champion of the environment. Which is actually a pretty good direction for a modern version of Mark Trail. I like the message: Nature is cool, NFTs are bad for many reasons, here's fun animal facts and sad animal facts and here's how you can help. That's great. But unlike Nancy, you can't really take these same kind of characters and make a new strip quite as easily. Or maybe it's a bit harder to sell to a paper a new concept rather than just rebooting a classic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The problem with these modern Nancies and Marks Trail is that they came out swinging strong at pissing old people off and that was it, at best they're tepid strips occasionally worth a glance, but more often than not and at least Nancy because I never bothered with Mark Trail pre or post reboot, it's the same tedious set up and joke of Nancy or any of the other interchangeable children talking to themselves or to another interchangeable child setting up some sort of social anxiety thing and the final panel either reinforcing it or rejecting it by ironically reinforcing it with very slight variations

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From John Allison's Twitter;
https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1516831456110252038?cxt=HHwWjMC42YeL74wqAAAA

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

is, not to put too fine a point on it, the only difference between Jules and James Allen that she's got the correct basic political attitude and does that, while a good thing in and of itself, not kind of confirm the right-wing narrative that that's the only thing that counts in getting an artistic job these days, because the selling point of New Mark Trail sure as gently caress isn't her stellar storytelling ability or breathtakingly detailed artwork?
Um, yes, there are a LOT of differences between Rivera and Allen. Allen cliparted previous writers' art and couldn't draw himself. Rivera does her art honestly, and she can draw; she's just too sloppy most of the time. Allen's plot were draggy and slow; Rivera's move along at a good pace; they have big plot holes instead. Allen was abusive to particular people both in strip and in social media; Rivera doesn't abuse individuals on social media and while she's abrasive in social media she keeps that out of the strip. Rivera also has a sense of humor.

So, while Rivera's MT has lots of faults, it's very very different from Allen's.

Doomykins posted:

The new Mark Trail universe is comically small with how often the same characters cycle in. This is the 3rd time with Bee Sharp? ... out of 4? Of course that's true with Cricket too. I can only hope Daggers shows up tomorrow.
And another example of sloppy plotting by Rivera. If she *wanted* Bee Sharp in this adventure, she could have had Cricket Bro find out about Rusty's interest in cryptid and call in B to try to get in with Happy Trail. Instead she's having them just accidentally run into him in a comic book store literally on the other side of the country. She didn't spend 5 minutes thinking "hmm, what's a way I could bring Bee Sharp into this". Typical Rivera sloppiness. Good ideas, lousy execution.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

End Chapter 2! I do agree that Miss Haru is being kinda presumptuous and manipulative here, but then the trope is "the bartender knows her customers better than they themselves do," so within the text she was doing explicitly the right thing. :shrug: As an immigrant, personally I'm more ehh about the idea that "people who are not from here should stick together and eventually go home, since it suits them better."

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey: Chapter 7

When I first shared this, someone pointed out that Tonda here is actually on the right track - the weird dog tentacle thing is basically star-shaped.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Olivia Jaimes at least seems to care about Nancy.

Look at this from the first week with Jules:

And this one from last week with somewhat similar panels.

It seems pretty clear to me she's cranking these out with as little effort as possible. I don't even blame her either. It's probably a "I'm only going to put X effort into a project for X amount of money" thing and I doubt she's getting much per strip. At most it's a good thing to have on her work history when looking for new clients.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 21, 2022

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Medenmath posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s I always wanted to like Prince Valiant but bounced off the seemingly slow pacing and impenetrable backstory. I think reading it on a daily basis, and from the beginning, helps a lot. The pace of the story isn't actually slow at all, but the weekly nature of the strip gives that illusion. I'm amazed Foster was able to put out artwork of this quality even on a weekly basis though. The man was a very talented machine.
Pretty much the same for me, I'd look at it and admire the art but the story was so completely out of context I never understood what was going on. Reading it here and people commenting on it and putting things in focus is a lot of fun.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I would feel more bad about what Haraiso Days does in this chapter if she wasn't doing it because Asako found love with that guy and was going to let him go, sometimes you gotta just have the melodrama form of romance in your story.

This is exactly why Funny Online Animals should not be allowed to dual-wield flintlock pistols.

Everybody's A God drat Parent Now

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Vargo posted:

Because a company owns the rights to Mark Trail.

That's it, that's the entire reason. They own Mark Trail, and therefore, there are people at the company whose job it is to find a way to turn that into money -- at least some amount of money. Even if it only breaks even, that is better, as far as they're concerned, than owning it and doing nothing with it, especially since if they spend too long doing nothing with it, they will lose the rights and someone else might figure out how to make money from it. Business is dumb.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 22, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Probably also Mark Trail has a spot on a lot of comics pages. If they keep it going, they keep the spot and don't have to sell a new thing. You don't give them a chance to swap you out and inertia keeps the train rolling.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

So Loretta and Leroy are enough clients to keep Pullman's practice going. There's an interesting thought.

And I'll say this for Big Nate. Having read latter-day Nate, at least you can say it's not another strip that started strong but sadly declined.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

As an immigrant, personally I'm more ehh about the idea that "people who are not from here should stick together and eventually go home, since it suits them better."

See maybe it's because I'm not an immigrant, but I didn't take it that way. To me, the actual place they were from was set dressing for the idea of "Don't let yourself be afraid to follow love for material reasons."

He could have been going anywhere, and the owner would have told her to follow him.

I do agree that your reading is valid and eeeeeh but I daresay that the author is not intending to make that point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Take it From the Tinkersons is so drat good. Not in the way Val is, Val is a loving epic, but TIFT is hilarious in its own way. It has grown on me so much.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "168 - Jucika Tries On A Swimsuit"

"169 - Jucika Wants To Sleep"

Murdstone posted:

It seems pretty clear to me she's cranking these out with as little effort as possible. I don't even blame her either. It's probably a "I'm only going to put X effort into a project for X amount of money" thing and I doubt she's getting much per strip.

I think Modern Nancy is lazier than Modern Garfield so that's a rather odd show of caring. It's interesting how Olivia and Jules both did nearly the same thing at almost the same pace: arrived with much noise, shook the status quo lightly in their first few months and then quietly never did it again, moving on to 2+ years of mediocrity or worse. I still remember the original thread reaction to Sluggo Is Lit.

That was years ago. Speaking of... WOW. Look at that first strip. God drat. No wonder I wanted to like New Trail. Not a narration box in sight. Just dialogue and character personality and on screen action, living in the moment.

quote:

At most it's a good thing to have on her work history when looking for new clients.

I get what you mean and with newspaper standards as lax as they are I can't blame strip authors who phone it in but I laugh thinking of using such terrible output as portfolio building. "So what can we expect from you as our artist?" "Did you read the new Mark Trail?" "Yeah, it's loving awful." "Heh heh, yeah boi, but I got all that good publicity." "Hired."

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Murdstone posted:

It seems pretty clear to me she's cranking these out with as little effort as possible. I don't even blame her either. It's probably a "I'm only going to put X effort into a project for X amount of money" thing and I doubt she's getting much per strip. At most it's a good thing to have on her work history when looking for new clients.
Wow. What a deterioration.

Somebody's missing an opportunity somewhere, though. Brigman manages good art on Mary Worth, and she has to split payments with the writer. There has to be some way for Rivera to get enough from Mark Trail for her to be able to get her neck shapes right. Mark Trail seems like it would be a good IP for line extensions like video shorts or tour certifications, but not with this as the flagship.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I'm gonna take the other route of "doing a daily strip was probably more intensive and she couldn't keep up the initial wave of quality" and not "she's actively putting in less effort per strip"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah - I think the Mary Worth comparison is actually a good one because you can see a clear difference between them - May Worth's day-to-day is largely just talking heads, with other kinds of framing being the exception, while Mark Trail's day-to-day business is a lot more ambitious. I don't think Brigman would ever consider drawing a panel like the one where Mark is using his phone to spy on people behind him. Mary Worth's art is a lot cleaner, but I think that's not because the artist is getting paid more or cares more or anything like that, but simply because the comic itself has already pared its style down to accommodate the restrictions of constant deadlines, and the artist works within a space that lets them spend time on the art that matters rather than getting stuck into figuring out the actual geographical space of a room.
Ian's house is a blank wall and some lovely brown curtains over a window while the comic book store has bookshelves with perspective and displayed comics and a counter and a door. This is, imo, one of the hardest things to learn about delivering a commercial comic strip for an artist: you have to keep boiling away elements of what you want to say until you are saying it in the most efficient way possible with the least number of moving parts, and that means less detail in the things that don't matter. Where Mary Worth breaks away from its talking heads, it typically avoids drawing character detail at all by just portraying them in silhouette because there's a finite amount of detail that can be drawn on deadline and it just got used up on scenery. Jules is trying to draw it all and the result tends to look rushed, because it has to be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wasn't the Mom the one who wanted the Limo in the first place?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

I know newspaper comics aren't exactly THE BIG MONEY but Trail and Nancy are some pretty egregious trend setters.

Vargo posted:

Nancy's good though. If you don't like Jaimes's style of humour then fair enough; she does the same kind of jokes over and over. But if you like them (and I do) then they're still good each time.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i do like olivia jaimes' nancy

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I like it when it's not kids having anxious inner monologues longer than a Congressional filibuster about something trivial, so....5% of the time?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I'm still reasonably on board with nu-Nancy too. Jules' Mark Trail kind of comes and goes for me.

Our Boarding House (October 31-November 2, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (January 27-29, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Primary (January 29, 1914)

With George R. Worley, once again we'll have to settle for an incomplete story.

Little Lefty gives us "Hey, comrade kids! Let's put on a show!" (June 1-3, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero), in which love conquers all, except a heroine who's open to bribery. (December 7-9, 1931)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That rear end in a top hat saving his booze better hope the Powerful Katrinka doesn't come by.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

:fireman:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
god i hate luann tho

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

rannum posted:

I'm gonna take the other route of "doing a daily strip was probably more intensive and she couldn't keep up the initial wave of quality" and not "she's actively putting in less effort per strip"

Yeah I'm guessing those early strips were probably part of a structured, prepared pitch presentation and afforded Jules weeks of prep work. Now she's in the grind and can't spend as much time lovingly sketching out every installment.

Honestly I might be harder on Nu Trail if it wasn't posted right next to Mary Worth every day. When I scroll down and see a strip where a woman sits in her car and thinks to herself the exact same thing she thought yesterday, which is "I could probably clear this misunderstanding up with ANYBODY if I would talk to them about ANYTHING....But I CAN'T!" suddenly Trail's rougher visuals and "Wait, huh?" plotting don't seem so bad to me.

Really good Nancy today by the way

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Guffie makes an entrance, or Blueberry makes his move, or Things start to get chaotic...

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah I'm guessing those early strips were probably part of a structured, prepared pitch presentation and afforded Jules weeks of prep work. Now she's in the grind and can't spend as much time lovingly sketching out every installment.

Honestly I might be harder on Nu Trail if it wasn't posted right next to Mary Worth every day. When I scroll down and see a strip where a woman sits in her car and thinks to herself the exact same thing she thought yesterday, which is "I could probably clear this misunderstanding up with ANYBODY if I would talk to them about ANYTHING....But I CAN'T!" suddenly Trail's rougher visuals and "Wait, huh?" plotting don't seem so bad to me.
I get that Rivera is pretty ambitious with her scenes (and I've complemented her on it) and that it's harder to draw a complex scene than the talking heads in MW (although MW does have some scenery in it). BUT - monthly comic book artists crank out about 22 pages a week, generally 4-6 panels per page, which comes out to about 3 panels per day, and they do have a fair bit of scenes and layout as a rule. OK, she has to do her own coloring but she should be able to do 1 panel a day where at least the characters don't have alien necks. Plus whywhywhy on the thick lines?

In terms of plotting, yeah, MW's "nothing happens" is even worse that MT's "nothing happens that makes sense". But Rivera seems to be leaving a lot of easy stuff on the table. I can see how it might be hard to make a satisfying end for the Prius car chase. But it's a few minutes of thought to clean up plot problems like the FL + OR family trip (they go to FL, Cricket Bro invites them to OR) or getting Bee Sharp into this plot.

Comparing nuTrail to nuNancy, nuNancy manages about 1-2 good strips a week (usually Sundays are good) and the rest is filler. With nuTrail, it's almost never satisfying because I see there *could* have been something good there but it's not done right. Hmm, I guess I have to admit the Sunday MTs are usually pretty good so there is that.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 22, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I read Mary Worth more than Mark Trail because I get so tired of MTs unfollowable weird plots, at least I can keep up with nothing happens or wilbur bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I read Mary Worth more than Mark Trail because I get so tired of MTs unfollowable weird plots, at least I can keep up with nothing happens or wilbur bad.

Mary Worth is amusingly bad. Old Mark Trail was sometimes hilariously bad. New Mark Trail is just bad.