Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lawman 0 posted:

Space Empires V is objectively an extremely bad game that's only sorts redeemed by the mods and PBEM functionality.
There is a reason it's a dead series.

It's a shame cause I absolutely adored SEIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ironically, I still love SEV. Mostly because I really liked a lot of the ideas the game introduced, the 3D-RTS-style combat maps and the art style. If I look at SEIV, it just makes my eyes sad. There's more, but the other poo poo I liked was also in SEIV, so gushing over it in SEV would be deeply unfair. :v:

Also, besides their uneven output, the devs of this mad series definitely deserve mad props for having the balls to make their first game unable to be played without human players (SEI has no AI). :shepface:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
All these SE(roman numerals) are confusing the hell out of me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

if only they got to number ten

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ah yes

the weed number

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah I'm also running a game (maybe 2???) of shadow empires but I was looking for something spicy to run on the side.

Emperor of the Fading Suns is a unique 4x for PBEM if you haven't played it yet. The win condition promotes diplomacy and wheeling & dealing between players.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EOFS is a wild experiment in gameplay but i don't know that the game whose gimmick is that you're playing like 20 interconnected TBSes simultaneously makes for a great side project

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 19, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alpha centauri is still a great game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lawman 0 posted:

Alpha centauri is still a great game.

I can't handle it after more modern games with less aggravating control schemes and other QoL things :negative:

Just give me a loving modernization update you don't even need to touch the god drat graphics beyond letting me run it windowed at high res without effort

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Splicer posted:

Well each weapon, building, item etc has exactly this in the galactopedia, making its absence in the tech screen even more baffling.

What.

E: God drat.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

I can't handle it after more modern games with less aggravating control schemes and other QoL things :negative:

Just give me a loving modernization update you don't even need to touch the god drat graphics beyond letting me run it windowed at high res without effort

the best outcome would be like an update like total war, but you just know they’d just make a gacha game for phones and you have to buy mind-worm coins to get a temporary nerve stapling bonus

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Some release information for Dune.

https://twitter.com/DuneSpiceWars/status/1516763003219329032

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But where are the insidious Ordos

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is it possible to mix the original factions with the new factions in Alien Crossfire?
I feel like this a dumb question.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yes, absolutely. You can mix and match in any combination. I don't even think the alien factions have to be paired.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
Yep. At least I did that last time I played Alpha Centauri, which was like 15 years ago? The option to make custom factions is pretty cool too.

e: beaten

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zurai posted:

Yes, absolutely. You can mix and match in any combination. I don't even think the alien factions have to be paired.

Is it an option I didn't see it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lawman 0 posted:

I *think* you need to run an external program to do it. It comes with the expansion, but you can't make the changes within the game. I don't' remember for sure though.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Lawman 0 posted:

Should be a tiny drop down arrow on the right beside each faction, assuming you started the crossfire .exe. might be nearly invisible on modern screens.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is what happens if I keep clicking forward in the "start new game" menu, i.e. after making a new custom Planet:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rappaport posted:

This is what happens if I keep clicking forward in the "start new game" menu, i.e. after making a new custom Planet:

:ms:
Well that works I guess.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Splicer posted:

SotS1 has a weird bug where pre-loading fights is somehow bottlenecked by your fps of the loading screen spinning planet graphic. It can take 10-15 minutes to load a late-game fight but tabbing out makes them load instantly.

Oh my loving god how the gently caress did they manage that?

I am seriously impressed by the raw skill it would take to accidentaly program that in.

(Also thanks for telling me how to skip loading screens in the year of our common and affordable SSD lords 8 or something.)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Splicer posted:

SotS1 has a weird bug where pre-loading fights is somehow bottlenecked by your fps of the loading screen spinning planet graphic. It can take 10-15 minutes to load a late-game fight but tabbing out makes them load instantly.

:psyboom: incredible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

That's actually a really common bug. I've seen it in a bunch of games.

The most recent game with that issue that comes to mind was Nier Automata for example.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That's actually a really common bug. I've seen it in a bunch of games.

The most recent game with that issue that comes to mind was Nier Automata for example.

If I had to guess it’s an artifact of trying to real time optimize for a specific frame rate target but failing to provide a non-real-time mode for bulk data loading.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh my loving god how the gently caress did they manage that?

I am seriously impressed by the raw skill it would take to accidentaly program that in.

(Also thanks for telling me how to skip loading screens in the year of our common and affordable SSD lords 8 or something.)

Single threaded game engine trying to prevent v-tearing. Incredibly popular around 1998-2002 time frame.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Every year my 30+ year old son and I play an online co op game for Mother's day instead of him spending money on me. We were considering playing AI Wars 2. Anyone have any experience with with co op?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Every year my 30+ year old son and I play an online co op game for Mother's day instead of him spending money on me. We were considering playing AI Wars 2. Anyone have any experience with with co op?

It works very well. The whole game is designed to be a strategy sandbox of sorts so you can basically set up any kind of scenario you want, and the DLCs add a bunch of extra options like having one player play a Necromancer or have support of a super fleet.

Just uh...look through the game tutorial or pay attention to the Tips menu during the match because the format of the game is very unique and thus can be fairly confusing for first-timers.
The whole game is basically about guerilla warfare and trying to fight the AI toe-to-toe will get you destroyed real quick-like (unless you have the DLC and focus on some of the specific strategies that encourage all out war).

EDIT: To not scare away any potential casual players, the game has incredibly wide range of difficulty modes, so if you just wanna build space fleets and not care about anything else, the option is there.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Gal Civ 4 releases tomorrow. Looks like they're keeping it Epic Store exclusive for the year. Currently at $40 as the early access price but I assume it'll go up to $60 tomorrow. I haven't seen much said about all the gameplay changes and Brad's still a dick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Gal Civ 4 releases tomorrow. Looks like they're keeping it Epic Store exclusive for the year. Currently at $40 as the early access price but I assume it'll go up to $60 tomorrow. I haven't seen much said about all the gameplay changes and Brad's still a dick.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out once it's out of Early-access Games Store.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

I'm vaguely interested in Gal Civ, but Gal Civ 3 wasn't all that engaging once you got down to the meat and potatoes. 3 different weapon colors and 3 different colored armors that go from +1 armor to +10armor, yea...

https://www.galciv4.com/gameplay

A lot of these sound bad, even if the concepts are ok. For example "control," most likely just a hamfisted way to cut down on micro-management, see MoO3, Heavy Foot of Government that ultimately sucked.

quote:

A New Combat System
Previous GalCiv games resolved combat in a single turn regardless of the scale of forces. Now, once the forces get big enough, a turn of combat may not destroy all of a fleet, allowing players to alter tactics, retreat or call in reinforcements.
I don't want combat to take place over multiple gameplay turns, especially if it's just Auto-calculated anyway. All that does is makes combat more tedious. Same with Ground Combat, ugh.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I didn't even know they were working on a sequel. GalCiv3 felt underwhelming, I re-installed it the other day, played a few hours, and un-installed. It just didn't do much for me. Felt like the same cliche lipstick on a boring pig.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Thom12255 posted:

Good news is if you've played Galciv 1, Galciv 2 or Galciv 3, you've probably already played Galciv 4 and can just skip it.

I'm assuming given their history, I haven't looked into GC4 at all.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I spent a few hours in gal civ iv then jumped into dw2.

The colony thing feels really good. You colonize a world and it just funnels resources to the nearest core world and you don't build poo poo on it. Later if you decide you want to build poo poo on it you assign a govenor to it, and now it acts like another world. I ran probably 5:1 colony to core worlds in my few hours of poking at it.

The multiple sector thing doesn't feel as good. It's trying to be a civ style 'continent' where you're in one sector and there's a wormhole to another sector you need a tech to traverse. It felt like it should be a natural choke point but I didn't find a way to really reinforce it. I wanted to mine it, drop military starbases that kill anything that comes through, etc... Not a lot of options there.

Ground combat seems even less than gal civ 2/3. If you're fighting a colony world you just have a fleet in orbit over the planet for 3ish turns then you ttake it. If you're fighting a Core world, you... Have a fleet with troop pods in orbit for 3-9 turns then you take it. I didn't see any loss conditions for it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hughlander posted:

Ground combat seems even less than gal civ 2/3. If you're fighting a colony world you just have a fleet in orbit over the planet for 3ish turns then you ttake it. If you're fighting a Core world, you... Have a fleet with troop pods in orbit for 3-9 turns then you take it. I didn't see any loss conditions for it.

Ah that thing space 4x nerds have been screaming at devs to do for years now, can't wait to see them screaming about how much they hate it, actually

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ah that thing space 4x nerds have been screaming at devs to do for years now, can't wait to see them screaming about how much they hate it, actually
I haven't played DW2 yet (waiting for more patches) but ground wars were pretty straightforward and fine in DW1

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Every invasion should spawn a full total war campaign and you can't return to your save until you complete it

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oh I also did like the new 'cute' race. It's special is that when you finish a ship you get 2 ships but they have 25% less health than other races... This includes single purpose ships like colony ships and starbase constructors.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jack Trades posted:

It works very well. The whole game is designed to be a strategy sandbox of sorts so you can basically set up any kind of scenario you want, and the DLCs add a bunch of extra options like having one player play a Necromancer or have support of a super fleet.

Just uh...look through the game tutorial or pay attention to the Tips menu during the match because the format of the game is very unique and thus can be fairly confusing for first-timers.
The whole game is basically about guerilla warfare and trying to fight the AI toe-to-toe will get you destroyed real quick-like (unless you have the DLC and focus on some of the specific strategies that encourage all out war).

EDIT: To not scare away any potential casual players, the game has incredibly wide range of difficulty modes, so if you just wanna build space fleets and not care about anything else, the option is there.

I still can't get that to work for online coop. As host or client, everything rubber bands around as the game tries to catch up with what's happening. Makes it very hard to react, or even discern, what's going on. I've never seen anything like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Azhais posted:

Every invasion should spawn a full total war campaign and you can't return to your save until you complete it