Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Turbinosamente posted:

That looks expensive based on the sheer number of discs. Is that like all the games soundtracks too? Trying to remember exactly what the hell I pirated of the games music years ago, probably just the first game's worth which I doubt fills that much space.

I'm thinking it's AA 1-3, but some of the music is re-used between games, so I'm not really sure!

The AA series and the Sims 1 are my two holy grails for video game OSTs. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

I'm thinking it's AA 1-3, but some of the music is re-used between games, so I'm not really sure!

The AA series and the Sims 1 are my two holy grails for video game OSTs. :3:

Ah, I'm not as deep into AA, so more power to you! I'm holding out for Cosmic Wars and maybe Starfox Adventures but these are both pipe dreams at this point. And I've accepted that I missed the boat on River City Ransom and Starfox SNES by now unless I want to drop major bucks on those. So thems the shakes.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I’m currently playing the first three AA games on my PS5 specifically on mute blasting records and now you’re telling me I should listen to the games?!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 18, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDP4ds-ozOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxnvGDK0WGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I34nshlOPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGcyKEZtWuE (Comments may contain spoilers for AA3.)

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 18, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awwwwwww yeah! :rock:

The one I realllllllllllllllllly need is the Songs for Ships and Irons comp, though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

petit choux posted:

This is amazing BTW

Best way I can import Sam Records stuff is by subbing to Wax Buyers Club and waiting for random titles to show up in its shop. Plus I had a discount code thanks to a previous month's WBC record being delayed so it helped take the sting out of that Nathan Davis triple LP's price.

That Waxidermist record is pretty baller, too. Highly recommended for your next Bandcamp Friday.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ugh

getting more skips lately, even on records that I've only even played a handful of times before this

I presume it's time for a new stylus, but at the same time maybe it's just the curse of entropy? I have no idea - my last stylus lasted me approximately a zillion years

I will at some point get into doing heavy-duty record cleaning, which should help, but in the meantime, I guess I'm ordering a stylus off the internet

e: researching my posts in this thread, I got this stylus with this turntable almost exactly a year ago. idk what that says about what I got - it's the bog-standard AT-VM95E that comes with the LP-120.

I know I should consider a step up in headshell/cartridge and someone suggested a good one some time back I was considering when I felt it was time but I a) can't find the post and b) am really annoyed that I appear to be hitting the end of this stylus's useful life already?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 19, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

ugh

getting more skips lately, even on records that I've only even played a handful of times before this

I presume it's time for a new stylus, but at the same time maybe it's just the curse of entropy? I have no idea - my last stylus lasted me approximately a zillion years

I will at some point get into doing heavy-duty record cleaning, which should help, but in the meantime, I guess I'm ordering a stylus off the internet

e: researching my posts in this thread, I got this stylus with this turntable almost exactly a year ago. idk what that says about what I got - it's the bog-standard AT-VM95E that comes with the LP-120.

I know I should consider a step up in headshell/cartridge and someone suggested a good one some time back I was considering when I felt it was time but I a) can't find the post and b) am really annoyed that I appear to be hitting the end of this stylus's useful life already?

Check your tracking force.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

currently sitting at 2.03, cartridge is rated for 1.8 to 2.2, 2.00 suggested

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

currently sitting at 2.03, cartridge is rated for 1.8 to 2.2, 2.00 suggested

Sounds like that’s with a scale. Oh well. I had an issue with records skipping and recalibrating the tracking force fixed it. Is everything level?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I thought it was, considering the turntable hasn't moved since I got it and put it where it is, but putting a level on it shows me the rear legs are a bit higher than the front legs. I'll have to adjust that a bit when I get a chance

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

caligulamprey posted:

The one I realllllllllllllllllly need is the Songs for Ships and Irons comp, though.

its obscene how much great music there is on this thing. enough ideas for 6 or 7 albums easily

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I've got that spinning right now. Truly an epic album.

Anyway, I had good luck at a thrift store for the first time since like 2017:

Covers are trashed but the disks are in good shape. It was a bit of a debate what category Eazy-E belongs in. Ultimately, my wife and I decided that it should live with the Christmas records.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

That looks expensive based on the sheer number of discs. Is that like all the games soundtracks too? Trying to remember exactly what the hell I pirated of the games music years ago, probably just the first game's worth which I doubt fills that much space.

Turns out it was the soundtracks for all six mainline games. :allears: My wallet is hurting, but I am very happy with this purchase. Never thought I would see it on vinyl! Now, time to "manifest" Sims 1 OST on vinyl... :pray:

I first played AA on the DS when I was in like, sixth grade and it's been my favorite video game series ever since. :3: My mom sometimes likes to feel smug because she bought me the game thinking "Ah, a courtroom game! Educational!". I was reluctant to play it, eventually started it up after a few months of putting it off...and was immediately hooked. I replay 'em all every few years, it's like revisiting old (fictional) friends.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

No copies of 69 Love Songs at the Magnetic Fields show and they only had CD copies of Quickies. :argh:

(they're getting a restock tomorrow at least)

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Read After Burning posted:

Now, time to "manifest" Sims 1 OST on vinyl... :pray:

In a hobby filled with spending stupid amounts of money on things, I would spend an incredibly stupid amount of money for that soundtrack. The build mode piano pieces are incredible.

I also bought the the Homestar Runner compilation that got posted a few pages back, I couldn’t be happier. Forgot to get the slipmat though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Schremp Howard posted:

In a hobby filled with spending stupid amounts of money on things, I would spend an incredibly stupid amount of money for that soundtrack. The build mode piano pieces are incredible.

I also bought the the Homestar Runner compilation that got posted a few pages back, I couldn’t be happier. Forgot to get the slipmat though.

Reminds me of the drag queen lip syncing to the Wii Shop music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbea8fL4NA&t=141s

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Nihonniboku posted:

Reminds me of the drag queen lip syncing to the Wii Shop music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbea8fL4NA&t=141s

:hmmyes:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Whoa, I never thought this game would have such a cool soundtrack. This is straight up some early Warp / Artificial Intelligence / B12 / early Autechre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZNkNba1W8

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat I did forget how good the cornered theme is in those games.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Totally empty-handed don Magnetic Fields merch, but you know what that means

:rock:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I broke down and got that as well, will be my third copy of the album. :cry: or :rock: who's to say?

I justified it to myself because it included a pre-sale code for the Jack White show here in town (that is GA and didn't sell out right away anyways)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I hope you all can at least appreciate the weird aesthetic on this. I got this at Goodwill. Apparently it really is from the 1940s. I don't think all the literature is intact but some pretty interesting stuff is intact. Note the classy packaging:

Which is full of ancient records plus instructional materials:

And I wanted to bring to somebody's attention that this fitness booklet entitled "A Woman's Birthright" had a semi-transparent outer cover made of tan-colored spiderwebs, complete with tan-colored spiders. If you look closely, you can see some of those webs do in fact have a spider in the center of them.

I may have to reassemble the ol' record player for this one.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hi I’m a big idiot baby when it comes to vinyl and need some suggestions I’m looking for a decent vintage turntable that I’m gonna only be using with a nice pair of headphones and not a full on system setup. Are there any suggestions on what vintage turntables to look at and what headphone amps to pair it with?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
So are you gonna sell some of these to us or

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hi I’m a big idiot baby when it comes to vinyl and need some suggestions I’m looking for a decent vintage turntable that I’m gonna only be using with a nice pair of headphones and not a full on system setup. Are there any suggestions on what vintage turntables to look at and what headphone amps to pair it with?

Are you going for vintage as a matter of taste or price?

Cause if you want something decent and cheap look at the AT-60 or AT-120, they're good. If you're hoping for cheap quality, just go with a U-turn that's also plenty good for a decent price and has a ton or upgrade options down the road.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.discogs.com/release/6243018-No-Artist-The-Nothing-Record

saw this at the record store recently

couldn't justify spending cash on it

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

So are you gonna sell some of these to us or

Do you think you're ready to work out to this program 6 days a week? Are you ready for some results?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIXgqsSW6g

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

"You know what should be even longer? Any Sleep album for some reason." - one of the world's most notorious sadists

That whole package looks like something that fell out of another dimension. I love that this guy is only identified as "Wallace". The whole thing has a very culty vibe.

Also, don't play shellac records with a microgroove stylus unless you don't care about either.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

"You know what should be even longer? Any Sleep album for some reason." - one of the world's most notorious sadists

That whole package looks like something that fell out of another dimension. I love that this guy is only identified as "Wallace". The whole thing has a very culty vibe.

Also, don't play shellac records with a microgroove stylus unless you don't care about either.

I thought it was an LP since it was from the 40s, but apparently it is from 1923? :wtc:

Of course just because there's an entry on Discogs doesn't mean that's what this is, only petit choux can answer this (and sell one to me)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

I thought it was an LP since it was from the 40s, but apparently it is from 1923? :wtc:

Of course just because there's an entry on Discogs doesn't mean that's what this is, only petit choux can answer this (and sell one to me)

Vinyl records weren't a thing until 1948 and shellac records were still common into the 50s.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Whoah, thanks for the reminder. Mostly the shellac records were recorded with some pretty primitive technology so I don't enjoy them as much, though there certainly are exceptions. Got to get a player set up for them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

I'll get back with you shortly on this. It was my understanding it was from the 40s, but I'll have a more thorough look. Why do you want these babies?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

Okay, I just had a stroke of genius. I looked at the text of the thing I posted and read it. It says he made the first exercise records and then with the resurgence of records, he's just made some more. So I imagine the ones you're seeing on discogs or whatever are in fact his first recordings and these are follow-ups years down the road, perhaps. Hold on.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Vinyl records weren't a thing until 1948 and shellac records were still common into the 50s.

Yes, I remember Techmoan teaching me about it, I was hopeful this was the 1948-1949 portion of the 40s :shobon:

petit choux posted:

I'll get back with you shortly on this. It was my understanding it was from the 40s, but I'll have a more thorough look. Why do you want these babies?

They look neat and if you have multiple copies you probably don't need them all but it's not that big a deal. I'm just a magpie

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Crain posted:

Are you going for vintage as a matter of taste or price?

Cause if you want something decent and cheap look at the AT-60 or AT-120, they're good. If you're hoping for cheap quality, just go with a U-turn that's also plenty good for a decent price and has a ton or upgrade options down the road.

I was looking for something decently made, mostly. I typically have heard unless you dropping some big money modern turntables typically aren’t as well made as older ones. Of course this could all be bullshit second hand knowledge

pwn
May 27, 2004

No reasonable person would deny the pleasure to themselves of having a print of this man's visage in their life

Only registered members can see post attachments!

<3 al!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I was looking for something decently made, mostly. I typically have heard unless you dropping some big money modern turntables typically aren’t as well made as older ones. Of course this could all be bullshit second hand knowledge

Get a U-turn Orbit then. You can pick and choose tons of custom options, the basic version is perfectly good to start with and isn't that much.

Getting a "quality" vintage turntable that's in good working order will be either very expensive or time consuming looking for one at a decent price. And considering you're not even sure what to go for, you're going to be having an even harder time of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

No reasonable person would deny the pleasure to themselves of having a print of this man's visage in their life

Okay, some possible answers. It says privately published by Wallace and copyrighted in 1941. So CPL593H, I've handled a lot of pretty fringe-y, privately published culty media over the years. They resort to the same resources as this guy so there's a good part of your similarity. Also, dig the large, hand-drawn first letters of paragraphs and stuff. It could almost pass for being from the 20s. At the bottom is two halves of a roughly 11x17 poster.