Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Heirloom chicken refers to breeds of chicken that live outdoors, are slow growing, and are often smaller than conventionally sold chicken.Jul 21, 2020

Yeah, its that. I guess its kinda fancy, but a 4 lb whole chicken was only $15, so that's not so bad in 2022. I got stock, meat, and cooking fat out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

drk posted:

Yeah, its that. I guess its kinda fancy, but a 4 lb whole chicken was only $15, so that's not so bad in 2022. I got stock, meat, and cooking fat out of it.

how much of a difference does it make cooking with home-made stock compared to bouillon cubes? How safe is it to make and store homemade stock? how long it lasts? never done it tbh but I cook all the time.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I think there is a big difference in flavor. I started making my own stock as a way to make use of whole chickens which are way cheaper than precut pieces (like, an entire chicken can be the same price as just the two breasts). You can buy a whole chicken, cut off the legs and breasts for whatever and freeze the rest until you have enough bits to make stock. I'm crap at cutting up chickens but for a lot of recipes, who cares if your cuts are slightly off?

Homemade stock really extracts a lot of protein and other nutrients from what might otherwise be thrown away. Good stock will be semi solid at fridge temperature - thats all healthy protein that adds a lot of body to many dishes.

Stock in the fridge lasts 2-10 days depending on who you ask, and 6-12 months in the freezer.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Blackened black angus burger with old bay blackened seasoning, sautéed garlic mushrooms, Carolina reaper jack cheese, charred bacon, mayo and mustard, 4 cheese stuffed potatoes, garden salad. Burger joint was closed, gotta make due somehow. :burger: :discourse:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Spaghetti and meatballs. Green salad w/lemon vinaigrette.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Frequenters of the lunch thread may be aware that I cooked down a teriyaki today. Doing the Hawaiian burgers with pineapple and teriyaki on the good buns.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meatball soup and popovers

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

how much of a difference does it make cooking with home-made stock compared to bouillon cubes? How safe is it to make and store homemade stock? how long it lasts? never done it tbh but I cook all the time.

it's barely the same thing. The homemade stuff is something different and requires next to no effort. boil the chicken carcass and whatever vegetables you have that are about to go off for as long as you please. pour it through a colander and save the liquid. it keeps for about a week, but I figure everything keeps for about a week. you can absolutely taste the difference in using homemade stock vs knorr cubes, and i am no food snob. I had dino nuggets for dinner.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Prik king :yum:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A festive spring pasta.

Extra festive.

I forced my family to wear party hats and sing and sing and sing and sing

Festive.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made some coconut chicken curry

garnished with this very cute confetti cilantro I am growing

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
trader joes frozen chow mein. i fancy up the sauce with sambal garlic chili sauce, splash dark soy and sesame oil. add extra broccoli and celery and wok fry.

top with green onion

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

KBBQ. I smell strongly of beef.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Marinated chicken breasts on the grill. Grilled summer squash and rice pilaf for sides.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A very large takeout salad with chicken tenders.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hot dogs (hebrew national all beef ofc) with sautee peps and onion and also tater tots because i am a grownass man

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Hot dogs (hebrew national all beef ofc) with sautee peps and onion and also tater tots because i am a grownass man

i see protein, veggies, and carbs. thats a balanced meal :hai:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Spinach pesto. Tri-color rotini.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Technically it was my breakfast, could have been lunch, but it was dinner for my mom. We went and got a WI Friday Fish Fry. It was really good in a small poo poo hole bar. For when I eat at about 1am it'll be a 24+ hour old Jersey Mikes Original Italian that I ate half of yesterday. It was 2 brand new people working on my sub and holy poo poo were they terrible. The guy making my sub was putting every single onion piece on at a time. Like, he'd put one on, adjust it for a few seconds (literally), then reach for another. Drop it on the counter, put it back on my sub (ugh), adjust it, move on. The guy who was wrapping my sub took him about 6 times. He'd start wrapping it up and he'd knock it apart. Put it back together and repeat. The guy who made the sub put WAY too much oil and vinegar on it. Like, the most I've seen anyone put on any sub anywhere x2. I didn't want to ask the new people to remake it though.

So I have a soggy mess in my fridge that I'll eat drunk and have to rip half of it away due to being too soggy.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Caprese salad, because I had some basil that wanted eating.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Got riled up in another thread so https://marisamoore.com/spinach-mac-and-cheese/

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Grilled chicken wings, spinach and butter lettuce salad with french dressing and Mac and cheese. Thanks for cooking mom! Happy Easter!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think imma defrost some leftover turkey and spite eat it because Chinatown been talking poo poo about roast turkey.

Probably make curry

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still got that ham from yesterday. Got half a loaf of that good bread from the bakery and a hunk of white cheddar...

:yeshaha:STUFFED FRENCH TOAST:yeshaha:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

I think imma defrost some leftover turkey and spite eat it because Chinatown been talking poo poo about roast turkey.

Probably make curry

how was your bad turkey my dude. :twisted:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
supermarket boneless ribeye was somehow on sale and i pan grilled that with garlic and butter, with side of sauteed broc in the drippings. With A1 sauce becuse its delish bitch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

id let that happen

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chinatown posted:

supermarket boneless ribeye was somehow on sale and i pan grilled that with garlic and butter, with side of sauteed broc in the drippings. With A1 sauce becuse its delish bitch.

A1 is fine, if you gently caress up and overcook a steak.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Beans and franks, broiled asparagus

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Breakfast for dinner!!! :2bong:

scrumbled eggs with cheese, sauteed onion and bell pep. breakfast sausage, cottage cheese.

lots of hot sauce over everything

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
BIG salad.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i made a stirfry with chicken and asparagus and carrot and bell pepper and serrano pepper and onion

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I made a moussaka so been eating that for the last few days.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
Slow cooked pork belly and cabbage, reheated in the air fryer until the pork belly skin got crispy, and the meat was luscious and fatty and delicious...

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Supposed to be teriyaki chicken on a bed of rice, but I accidentally made rice porridge instead so we switched gears and had teriyaki chicken nachos.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pierogies with caramalized onions and sausage and just a metric gently caress-ton of butter.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Split. Pea. Soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just went grocery shopping and stopped by Jersey Mike's on the way home and picked up a giant #9 Supreme Club. I'll have half tonight and half tomorrow.