Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xealot posted:

TBF she's 37 and Kate Bishop is supposed to be in her early 20's.

Aubrey Plaza playing an essentially Satanic figure in Legion fit so goddamn well, though. Like, cast her as Mephisto. Give her something fun to do.

e: good snipe

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Oasx posted:

The criticism doesn't make sense. I understand if people prefer a different kind of story, but superheroes are almost exclusively action based in the comics, the tv shows and movies are by default expected to be the same.

Wandavision I can sort of understand as they were telling a unique story, but nobody was forced into doing "cape poo poo.
Loki didn't have a ton of "cape poo poo" really, in fact I think one of the problems of the show was that nothing really happened. But I think a certain segment of the fanbase just came to see Tom Hiddleston, so they could ship Loki with a whole new range of characters.
Eternals was as much "cape poo poo" as any other Mavel, and I never got the impression that it was marketed as something other than that.

The action scenes in WandaVision and Loki both seemed perfunctory, especially WV where the highlight of the finale was a philosophical conversation and not the two actresses throwing CGI globs at each other. And it's not as if Marvel can't do action because they did a great job recently with Shang-Chi and No Way Home and even in FAWS and Hawkeye but neither those shows were as high concept as WandaVision and Loki, which felt like they had to pause what they wanted to do to insert some weak action scenes. And with Moon Knight, the scenes where he's in costume have felt incredibly arbitrary and poorly executed. I'd even argue that Layla's fight with the mummy priest was both better and more organic than any of the action scenes we've seen with the costume.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Do you there will be Moon Knight plushies of the various characters out by the end of the year? I ask because I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPm0o04lGE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xealot posted:

TBF she's 37 and Kate Bishop is supposed to be in her early 20's.

Aubrey Plaza playing an essentially Satanic figure in Legion fit so goddamn well, though. Like, cast her as Mephisto. Give her something fun to do.

Marvel does have the rights to Shadow King back :thunkher:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I really liked that episode. Everything in the tomb reminded me of a Doctor Who episode with it's monster and random dark tunnels and mysterious objects with convoluted explanations, and then the institute stuff reminded me of Legion of course, which i also love. That hippo lady was hilarious though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Oscar Isaac is the best actor alive.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Animal-Mother posted:

Oscar Isaac is the best actor alive.

Rarity posted:

Aubrey Plaza

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

RatHat posted:

Has there been any hints that MK takes place in the MCU or is it standalone?

I'm pretty sure that everything Marvel related that Disney makes themselves takes place in the MCU.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I know the asylum was probably cliche specifically because it's a mental construct, but I'm really sick of TV and movies always falling back on the stereotype of the stark white mental hospital where everyone's drawing with crayons or solving a Rubik's Cube, and every patient is either catatonic, a simpleton child, or a raving lunatic. I feel like Disney can do better. Just like, put normal people there. It's not that hard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

I know the asylum was probably cliche specifically because it's a mental construct, but I'm really sick of TV and movies always falling back on the stereotype of the stark white mental hospital where everyone's drawing with crayons or solving a Rubik's Cube, and every patient is either catatonic, a simpleton child, or a raving lunatic. I feel like Disney can do better. Just like, put normal people there. It's not that hard.

As you noted, the asylum is a mental construct. There are no normal people in that construct because the minds that made it are not all that normal.

Aside from that, figure Marc doesn't seem to be the kind of person to seek out therapy and certainly wouldn't willingly become a patient at a mental health facility. So figure the picture he'd have of such facilities would be informed by bullshit TV and movies instead of any kind of actual experience. The place looks like a cliche because Marc doesn't know how the real thing would look or function.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 22, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

They should do the asylum from the second season of American horror story

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You inspired me

All 7 of the incoming likes belong to you, friend

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 6, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Aliens being behind it all and a German scientist recruited from a shadowy organization to aid good people, but he secretly corrupts the organization from within would actually make a lot more sense in the MCU than it did in American Horror Story.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Nah it's your TV. Everything was perfectly clear for me in this episode. I have no idea what you're talking about in bad batch. I sort of remember people complaining about that Game of Thrones episode you're talking about and that was clear for me too. I might've fiddled a little with the settings when I first got it or maybe someone did before me since I'm the third person to have it but my TV is probably on the older end compared to most people's and I've never had a problem with things being to dark.

It's specifically with their HDR content. For comparison on my end I watched Fleabag on AmazonPrime HDR and it was pristine with similar settings. When I throw 4k movies with HDR on my Plex they look fantastic. I am getting an LG OLED later this year and if the D+ app is still hosed it's on them.

If you Google search "hdr disney plus too dark" you'll find I am not alone across many different websites.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Fingers crossed for you then, because I have an LG Oled and Disney looks very good on it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
It's almost one year since Falcon and Winter Soldier series finished and I though I am going to put a bit of a personal rant/thoughts on the series:

My first encounter with Sam Wilson was through the Nick Spencer's Secret Empire run where under the influence of an anthropomorphic version of the cosmic cube, Captain America became a Hydra agent and later leader of the organization. Among the struggle was Sam Wilson and being given the mantle of Captain America as he was given the shield to wield against a politically divided nation as both Cap and Sam were fighting people such a broken man with no aspirations and dreams and joining the serpent society, students inspired by Bombshell (No, not Hawkeye's Bombshell) to attempt to assassinate an anti immigrant speaker at a campus or more infamously the Americops, a political projection of Spencer's previous stance on tough on crime politics. Combined with Na Tahesi Coates writing, such works were my primer for Falcon and Winter Soldier before it premiered and I had high hopes for it, unfortunately because of the fact Coates is a firebrand in politics, they had to adapt out some of his more consumer unfriendly politics about the story, diluting the racial conflict with the issue of Veterans from America's military conflicts

The story of how we treat our veterans, the displaced and the future of a divided world

Falcon and the Winter Soldier had expectations it was going to be a political work. After all it's a story about the aftermath of the Blip once the celebration was over. The world never stopped turning after the Snap, wars happened, social revolutions and uprisings happened as Rhodey tried to get Sam to become Captain America to help serve as a symbol. But Sam wasn't Steve not just for a lack of a super soldier serum, but he has family and trying to live the American Dream of having his own family business and the failure of financing it through legal channels and not relying on his situation as a Blipped as we later learn about the GRC was trying to ensure the Blipped population the resources required to regain what they have lost. Part of Sam's scenario was his duty to serve as a symbol of America and his expectations and having to see the injustice personally on all fronts especially when it comes his field of dealing with Veteran PTSD as part of his counselling. For me, Sam's struggle was on both fronts as a Veteran counselor who has to deal with several such examples along with his status as a black

Speaking of Veteran PTSD, the series covers heavily into this subject as much as the idea of who should wield the shield. American society does not have a great track record with dealing with war veterans and Falcon and the Winter Soldier explore this with the supersoldiers, Bucky, Isaiah and Walker. Bucky's situation was dealing with subject of making amends for his role as Hydra's unwilling agent as he tries to reconnect with the community rather than doing what Steve did and buried it behind working for Shield as he did was what he was only allowed to do as a discharged veteran with a conditional Pardon, bound by his wish to honor Steve's legacy but also to live a life he never had. It was here we learn Bucky wasn't your typical roaring 20's jarhead, he bought books straight from Britain (Also an inside joke about the fact many of Hydra's villains are LOTR alumni) and went to the Stark Expo for a date instead of some cabaret in NYC's red light district. He wants to get back to that life but struggles to, unable to move on from his life as the Winter Soldier. Then we have Isiah Bradley, the Korean War veteran was who put in a black ops facility, made a widow as his wife died after he was released and his bitter resentment at how he wasn't able to represent America as Captain America. The American dream denied to him and countless other African Americans and his golden opportunity of being a symbol of the civil rights moment as his voice will give any man who he supports a huge PR boost. And finally we have Walker/US Agent, the symbol of modern American policy of taking people as symbols of sacrifice to make the politicians look good supporting or condemning them. When I was first introduced to walker I expected him to be a symbol of racism but instead got a tragic figure of the failed War on Terror in Afghanistan and Iraq where Walker likely saw the evacuation of US forces in Afghanistan as the remnants of the Ten rings and Taliban took over the country in the worst day of his life and being given multiple medals of Honor for this "sacrifice" he made to the country even though he could have done more. We see the War on Terror brand of American Policy during his raid on a safehouse belonging to a Flag Smasher sympathizer where he attempts to intimidate the owner before arresting him and others for supporting the Flag Smashers. And for me the Flag Smashers represent a bleak reality that we live in today as a group of failed revolutionaries against the invulnerable bulwark of entrenched nobility and capitalism.

Aristocrats, Millennial rebellions and Genderswapped Antagonists

Modern MCU is a symbol of Hollywood progressive media and Phase 4 was an attempt to push for more progressive content. One common thing they did was genderswapping antagonists lIke Ghost in AntMan and the Wasp and Taskmaster in Black Widow. Here we see Flag Smashers led by a young millennial woman who combines Greta Thurnberg and Ulrike Madoff into one united identity of an overly idealistic rebellion against the GRC as she fights to stop the displaced refugees from being sent back to their home countries where they will face retribution from the government for abandoning their country during the Blip. We need to look at the modern world politics to think of who would support the Flag Smashers, we need to think of the student in Hong Kong who saw their city's democratic values get destroyed and they are marked for arrest, we need to think of the Ukrainian and Russian who fled their country in the wake of the war or fearing getting arrested for protesting against it, we need to think of the Hungarian suffering under the Enabling Act as the Pandemic is used by some governments to exploit the population. These people would have been persuaded by Karli to support the Flag Smasher Cause. For Karli, the reason why the Blip was a positive event was seeing people come together in either solidarity or rebelling against despotic governments who would use the premise of half of the world disappearing to oppress the population. Yet because of the political sensibilities of executives this would be omitted like the aborted pandemic plot. The Flag Smashers were made to be this dangerous threat yet in the end they were nothing more than naive millennials like me who failed to fight for a better future. It was for the better they Genderswapped her as if the leader was a male, they would have made the Flag Smashers less sympathetic on the virtue it is easier to make a rebellious young male leader Tyler Durden in all but name or in the Marvel Universe's case Robbie Tamlin in Secret Empire who story arc serves as tragedy about a man who cannot adapt to society and ultimately took his own life as a terrorist.

Then we have Zemo, in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, we see the reason why he is called Baron Zemo as when we are reunited with the first villain to emerge victorious in the MCU he was considerably more relaxed than in Civil War where he was a vengeful man out to destroy the Avengers even after the Blip. The Blip for Zemo was not a tragic event, but an example of his privilege of being part of the entrenched nobility and aristocrats that Karli would oppose. A writ he wrote the first draft of that would be passed to serve as judgment on a world that believed in superheroes and super humans as a form of retribution. No power is more intoxicating than to order billions to their deaths for a man like Zemo who served in death squads and family had held positions of authority where they condemn people to death. He once again must take up his mantle as an aristocrat and put an end to a popular uprising that is the Flag Smashers under the guise of ridding the world of supersoldiers as we see Bucky was spared from the coming retribution of killing the surviving Flag Smashers because his desire to reintegrate to society means he won't help the Flag Smashers out and can be controlled with promise of normalcy, normalcy that is represented by our unfair capitalist and classism system. This is what Zemo represents, the thousand years of reign of terror carried about the wealth elite who still to this day is untouchable but his antics in the shows overshadowed the implications of his politics at hand.

Sharon's return to the MCU was also a commentary on the intelligence agency and it's effect on their agents as Sharon went from the idealistic upholder of justice to being a ruthless CIA type black ops agent working in Madripoor as the Power Broker and serving as the major antagonist for Karli to serve as a ticking time bomb as the Patch Act is being rushed to pass by the GRC and she works with Sam and Bucky to track down Karli so she can kill her for her betrayal in stealing the serum. This was no different from CIA propping up fake uprising for disgruntled people to rally around only for the CIA assisted government forces to crush them as these rebellions are nothing more than release valves. Sharon's actions also serve as a contrast to her aunt Peggy, where as Peggy was an intelligence agent who was open with Steve about her information, Sharon hid her true nature from Sam as she manipulated him and none of them realize what Sharon done and was indirectly responsible for Karli's actions and ultimately her downfall.

The GRC can also count as antagonists, being your bog standard greedy civilized powers that banded together to help the Blip get back what is there yet from the first episode we know this isn't the case as Sam was denied his loan and the GRC did nothing to help Sam, showing the priorities of the GRC was to make sure their closest friends got their share first then the rest can what they have. The Senator was also a wholly unsympathetic figure, taking on the likes of many minor human antagonists during the arc where Sam become Captain America. He had the political status of Senator Hauser, the anti displaced population agenda of Ariella Connor and how her appearance led to an attack by the Bombshells (and the ungratefulness of being rescued by Sam and doubling down on his agenda) and the ulterior motives of Keane as the success of the Patch Act will mean he can run for president under an anti immigration Plattform and even if he dies, other politicians will follow in his footsteps, arguing that the Flag Smashers have gone too far in murdering a politician and not realize how the world works. To me, the GRC represented the worst aspects of government bureaucracy that does little to help the poor but yet ensure the rich got what they wanted after five years since their disappearance

The Social revolution that never came: my final thoughts on the series

Perhaps one thing I took away from this was how Falcon and Winter Soldier like many mainstream works, could not give the Flag Smashers the appropriate platform to be worthwhile antagonists as the greatest criticism of the series was how unconvincing the Flag Smashers were. For me the biggest problem they had was they were ultimately an ineffectual anti government group who was more of a threat to themselves than the people they hurt. Karli's bombing didn't send the intended message as the GRC twisted the deaths of the few casualties to their advantage and they were manipulated at every moment they tried to use force to get what they want. Even Nico's death at the hands of Walker could not give the Flag Smashers the chance to rally together the people about the true nature of the GRC's symbol as they just conveniently other than honorable discharged him and then went back to work on sending the displaced people back to their countries at gunpoint with the implication more John Walkers would be made from this. Likewise the final fight shows the weakness of the Flag Smasher as there was no protestors shielding Karli and the Flag Smashers from Sam, Bucky and Walker as they are forced to confront disenfranchised youth and people who would support Karli's cause because they know they would never receive the benefits of the GRC even if they got Blipped. Instead all Karli had for help was a mercenary planted by Sharon to bring her down

Still if there was one message that persuaded me was Falcon's message to Bucky about making amends vs avenging. Perhaps it was the elephant in the room no one ever talked about but Tony never really did got any real sense of closure from his 15 years of Avenging. From the day he left the cave to his final moment in wiping out Thanos army at the cost of his life. Tony never really made people "feel good". While he helped undo the damage he caused, repaid for the damage he cant undo. Falcon knew Tony was never going to make amends as an Avenger. All he can do is avenge others for the actions he had done and Bucky has a chance to make people actually feel good by giving people closure and becoming a part of the community Sam was in rather than trying to punish wrongdoers who benefited from his action. In a way it offers Bucky closure for a man who's parents he had killed and died before he can apologize is by making Tony feel good knowing that Steve and Sam made Bucky a better person than the one he fought to arrest to stand for his crimes.

If they ever make a second season, I hope that Coates' brand of politics will be in the focus as we are heading toward a more difficult time as war in Ukraine, the approaching storm of resource shortages from conflicts and the death of democracy looms around the corner at the same the the timeline of Endgame and Real Life will soon meet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I remain surprised that so many people think Sharon is anything other than a Skrull.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BrianWilly posted:

I remain surprised that so many people think Sharon is anything other than a Skrull.

What evidence is there that she is?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

The Skrulls are basically nice people who have been hunted and oppressed by the Kree. Sharon has embraced her inner rear end in a top hat CIA operative. Why would anyone think she's a Skrull?

Season 2 pitch: Karli comes back as Khonshu's next avatar.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Depends on how strictly you define evidence. If you mean is there official content from the show or anywhere else saying "SHe'S A SkRULL," then no.

Her personality is completely at odds with how we saw her last, as a loyal Fury agent and admirer of her aunt. She's not an anti-hero or gray-scale or anything like that, she's just a flat-out villain. People keep saying "Well, years on the run had hardened her," to which I say that years on the run didn't change anyone else like Sam or Natasha in that way, especially to the point that they're running black market weapon rings, killing off their own hires to cover their tracks, and then taking down enemy combatants by melting their faces off.

Not only is she still the Power Broker but she's now embedded deep in national security again, welcomed back as a valued government asset with no one the wiser, all but cackling maniacally as she spouts sinister dialogue to unseen co-conspirators. Is that not exactly what a Skrull would most want to do, if they were trying to infiltrate the planet?

Because, most importantly of all, we know that the Skrulls are trying to infiltrate the planet. No matter what we saw in that one single movie about a few Skrull refugees back twenty years ago, we know for a fact that there is going to be a whole TV show, starring Nick Fury, about Skrulls trying to invade the world secretly. So someone we know is going to be a Skrull; some MCU character who we'd be following for years is going to end up revealed as a Skrull agent and, well, it ain't gonna be Elektra or Spider-Woman!

It's also not going to be a major major character like Bucky or Hawkeye or whoever, because Marvel's (rightly) not going to want to walk back on their characterizations. Sharon, on the other hand, fits the bill perfectly as someone who went through a major character shift offscreen that we're supposed to just trust her verbal exposition on, as someone who isn't a main enough character for people to be that attached to while still serving an important role in-universe, and as someone who the main character Nick Fury is conveniently already familiar with anyway. It's gonna be her; all narrative and metatextual signs point to it.

Again, it is genuinely surprising to me that so many people don't think so, on the premise that c'mon, she just turned bad and that's all there is to it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Sharon Carter is a Rutan.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm rutan for her to be a skrull.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gyrobot posted:

It's almost one year since Falcon and Winter Soldier series finished and I though I am going to put a bit of a personal rant/thoughts on the series:

My first encounter with Sam Wilson was through the Nick Spencer's Secret Empire run where under the influence of an anthropomorphic version of the cosmic cube, Captain America became a Hydra agent and later leader of the organization. Among the struggle was Sam Wilson and being given the mantle of Captain America as he was given the shield to wield against a politically divided nation as both Cap and Sam were fighting people such a broken man with no aspirations and dreams and joining the serpent society, students inspired by Bombshell (No, not Hawkeye's Bombshell) to attempt to assassinate an anti immigrant speaker at a campus or more infamously the Americops, a political projection of Spencer's previous stance on tough on crime politics. Combined with Na Tahesi Coates writing, such works were my primer for Falcon and Winter Soldier before it premiered and I had high hopes for it, unfortunately because of the fact Coates is a firebrand in politics, they had to adapt out some of his more consumer unfriendly politics about the story, diluting the racial conflict with the issue of Veterans from America's military conflicts

The story of how we treat our veterans, the displaced and the future of a divided world

Falcon and the Winter Soldier had expectations it was going to be a political work. After all it's a story about the aftermath of the Blip once the celebration was over. The world never stopped turning after the Snap, wars happened, social revolutions and uprisings happened as Rhodey tried to get Sam to become Captain America to help serve as a symbol. But Sam wasn't Steve not just for a lack of a super soldier serum, but he has family and trying to live the American Dream of having his own family business and the failure of financing it through legal channels and not relying on his situation as a Blipped as we later learn about the GRC was trying to ensure the Blipped population the resources required to regain what they have lost. Part of Sam's scenario was his duty to serve as a symbol of America and his expectations and having to see the injustice personally on all fronts especially when it comes his field of dealing with Veteran PTSD as part of his counselling. For me, Sam's struggle was on both fronts as a Veteran counselor who has to deal with several such examples along with his status as a black

Speaking of Veteran PTSD, the series covers heavily into this subject as much as the idea of who should wield the shield. American society does not have a great track record with dealing with war veterans and Falcon and the Winter Soldier explore this with the supersoldiers, Bucky, Isaiah and Walker. Bucky's situation was dealing with subject of making amends for his role as Hydra's unwilling agent as he tries to reconnect with the community rather than doing what Steve did and buried it behind working for Shield as he did was what he was only allowed to do as a discharged veteran with a conditional Pardon, bound by his wish to honor Steve's legacy but also to live a life he never had. It was here we learn Bucky wasn't your typical roaring 20's jarhead, he bought books straight from Britain (Also an inside joke about the fact many of Hydra's villains are LOTR alumni) and went to the Stark Expo for a date instead of some cabaret in NYC's red light district. He wants to get back to that life but struggles to, unable to move on from his life as the Winter Soldier. Then we have Isiah Bradley, the Korean War veteran was who put in a black ops facility, made a widow as his wife died after he was released and his bitter resentment at how he wasn't able to represent America as Captain America. The American dream denied to him and countless other African Americans and his golden opportunity of being a symbol of the civil rights moment as his voice will give any man who he supports a huge PR boost. And finally we have Walker/US Agent, the symbol of modern American policy of taking people as symbols of sacrifice to make the politicians look good supporting or condemning them. When I was first introduced to walker I expected him to be a symbol of racism but instead got a tragic figure of the failed War on Terror in Afghanistan and Iraq where Walker likely saw the evacuation of US forces in Afghanistan as the remnants of the Ten rings and Taliban took over the country in the worst day of his life and being given multiple medals of Honor for this "sacrifice" he made to the country even though he could have done more. We see the War on Terror brand of American Policy during his raid on a safehouse belonging to a Flag Smasher sympathizer where he attempts to intimidate the owner before arresting him and others for supporting the Flag Smashers. And for me the Flag Smashers represent a bleak reality that we live in today as a group of failed revolutionaries against the invulnerable bulwark of entrenched nobility and capitalism.

Aristocrats, Millennial rebellions and Genderswapped Antagonists

Modern MCU is a symbol of Hollywood progressive media and Phase 4 was an attempt to push for more progressive content. One common thing they did was genderswapping antagonists lIke Ghost in AntMan and the Wasp and Taskmaster in Black Widow. Here we see Flag Smashers led by a young millennial woman who combines Greta Thurnberg and Ulrike Madoff into one united identity of an overly idealistic rebellion against the GRC as she fights to stop the displaced refugees from being sent back to their home countries where they will face retribution from the government for abandoning their country during the Blip. We need to look at the modern world politics to think of who would support the Flag Smashers, we need to think of the student in Hong Kong who saw their city's democratic values get destroyed and they are marked for arrest, we need to think of the Ukrainian and Russian who fled their country in the wake of the war or fearing getting arrested for protesting against it, we need to think of the Hungarian suffering under the Enabling Act as the Pandemic is used by some governments to exploit the population. These people would have been persuaded by Karli to support the Flag Smasher Cause. For Karli, the reason why the Blip was a positive event was seeing people come together in either solidarity or rebelling against despotic governments who would use the premise of half of the world disappearing to oppress the population. Yet because of the political sensibilities of executives this would be omitted like the aborted pandemic plot. The Flag Smashers were made to be this dangerous threat yet in the end they were nothing more than naive millennials like me who failed to fight for a better future. It was for the better they Genderswapped her as if the leader was a male, they would have made the Flag Smashers less sympathetic on the virtue it is easier to make a rebellious young male leader Tyler Durden in all but name or in the Marvel Universe's case Robbie Tamlin in Secret Empire who story arc serves as tragedy about a man who cannot adapt to society and ultimately took his own life as a terrorist.

Then we have Zemo, in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, we see the reason why he is called Baron Zemo as when we are reunited with the first villain to emerge victorious in the MCU he was considerably more relaxed than in Civil War where he was a vengeful man out to destroy the Avengers even after the Blip. The Blip for Zemo was not a tragic event, but an example of his privilege of being part of the entrenched nobility and aristocrats that Karli would oppose. A writ he wrote the first draft of that would be passed to serve as judgment on a world that believed in superheroes and super humans as a form of retribution. No power is more intoxicating than to order billions to their deaths for a man like Zemo who served in death squads and family had held positions of authority where they condemn people to death. He once again must take up his mantle as an aristocrat and put an end to a popular uprising that is the Flag Smashers under the guise of ridding the world of supersoldiers as we see Bucky was spared from the coming retribution of killing the surviving Flag Smashers because his desire to reintegrate to society means he won't help the Flag Smashers out and can be controlled with promise of normalcy, normalcy that is represented by our unfair capitalist and classism system. This is what Zemo represents, the thousand years of reign of terror carried about the wealth elite who still to this day is untouchable but his antics in the shows overshadowed the implications of his politics at hand.

Sharon's return to the MCU was also a commentary on the intelligence agency and it's effect on their agents as Sharon went from the idealistic upholder of justice to being a ruthless CIA type black ops agent working in Madripoor as the Power Broker and serving as the major antagonist for Karli to serve as a ticking time bomb as the Patch Act is being rushed to pass by the GRC and she works with Sam and Bucky to track down Karli so she can kill her for her betrayal in stealing the serum. This was no different from CIA propping up fake uprising for disgruntled people to rally around only for the CIA assisted government forces to crush them as these rebellions are nothing more than release valves. Sharon's actions also serve as a contrast to her aunt Peggy, where as Peggy was an intelligence agent who was open with Steve about her information, Sharon hid her true nature from Sam as she manipulated him and none of them realize what Sharon done and was indirectly responsible for Karli's actions and ultimately her downfall.

The GRC can also count as antagonists, being your bog standard greedy civilized powers that banded together to help the Blip get back what is there yet from the first episode we know this isn't the case as Sam was denied his loan and the GRC did nothing to help Sam, showing the priorities of the GRC was to make sure their closest friends got their share first then the rest can what they have. The Senator was also a wholly unsympathetic figure, taking on the likes of many minor human antagonists during the arc where Sam become Captain America. He had the political status of Senator Hauser, the anti displaced population agenda of Ariella Connor and how her appearance led to an attack by the Bombshells (and the ungratefulness of being rescued by Sam and doubling down on his agenda) and the ulterior motives of Keane as the success of the Patch Act will mean he can run for president under an anti immigration Plattform and even if he dies, other politicians will follow in his footsteps, arguing that the Flag Smashers have gone too far in murdering a politician and not realize how the world works. To me, the GRC represented the worst aspects of government bureaucracy that does little to help the poor but yet ensure the rich got what they wanted after five years since their disappearance

The Social revolution that never came: my final thoughts on the series

Perhaps one thing I took away from this was how Falcon and Winter Soldier like many mainstream works, could not give the Flag Smashers the appropriate platform to be worthwhile antagonists as the greatest criticism of the series was how unconvincing the Flag Smashers were. For me the biggest problem they had was they were ultimately an ineffectual anti government group who was more of a threat to themselves than the people they hurt. Karli's bombing didn't send the intended message as the GRC twisted the deaths of the few casualties to their advantage and they were manipulated at every moment they tried to use force to get what they want. Even Nico's death at the hands of Walker could not give the Flag Smashers the chance to rally together the people about the true nature of the GRC's symbol as they just conveniently other than honorable discharged him and then went back to work on sending the displaced people back to their countries at gunpoint with the implication more John Walkers would be made from this. Likewise the final fight shows the weakness of the Flag Smasher as there was no protestors shielding Karli and the Flag Smashers from Sam, Bucky and Walker as they are forced to confront disenfranchised youth and people who would support Karli's cause because they know they would never receive the benefits of the GRC even if they got Blipped. Instead all Karli had for help was a mercenary planted by Sharon to bring her down

Still if there was one message that persuaded me was Falcon's message to Bucky about making amends vs avenging. Perhaps it was the elephant in the room no one ever talked about but Tony never really did got any real sense of closure from his 15 years of Avenging. From the day he left the cave to his final moment in wiping out Thanos army at the cost of his life. Tony never really made people "feel good". While he helped undo the damage he caused, repaid for the damage he cant undo. Falcon knew Tony was never going to make amends as an Avenger. All he can do is avenge others for the actions he had done and Bucky has a chance to make people actually feel good by giving people closure and becoming a part of the community Sam was in rather than trying to punish wrongdoers who benefited from his action. In a way it offers Bucky closure for a man who's parents he had killed and died before he can apologize is by making Tony feel good knowing that Steve and Sam made Bucky a better person than the one he fought to arrest to stand for his crimes.

If they ever make a second season, I hope that Coates' brand of politics will be in the focus as we are heading toward a more difficult time as war in Ukraine, the approaching storm of resource shortages from conflicts and the death of democracy looms around the corner at the same the the timeline of Endgame and Real Life will soon meet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

As you noted, the asylum is a mental construct. There are no normal people in that construct because the minds that made it are not all that normal.

Aside from that, figure Marc doesn't seem to be the kind of person to seek out therapy and certainly wouldn't willingly become a patient at a mental health facility. So figure the picture he'd have of such facilities would be informed by bullshit TV and movies instead of any kind of actual experience. The place looks like a cliche because Marc doesn't know how the real thing would look or function.

I mean, it's a reason, but it's not like if they showed a realistic mental hospital people would be like "Heyyyyyy wait a minute!" Likewise, if a character had a mental break and suddenly it was full-on Song of the South in there, it still would be tacky to show it even if the in-fiction explanation was reasonable.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rarity posted:

Yeah the fight in the finale where Clint and Kate :airquote: non-lethally :airquote: take down a bunch of mooks is the best action sequence the Disney+ shows have produced. There's some good stuff in F/WS too

I thought that sequence was awful, because it was literally "have our heroes stand in a central location, and now just have waves and waves of mooks come at them"

How many mooks, sir?

ALL OF THEM

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kaedric posted:

I thought that sequence was awful, because it was literally "have our heroes stand in a central location, and now just have waves and waves of mooks come at them"

How many mooks, sir?

ALL OF THEM

Yeah it ruled

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yeah it ruled

Yeah for real. That's my favorite MCU action scene so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moon Knight lost me with episode 3 but I figured having seen half the season I'd finish it and I'm glad since this most recent episode's final few minutes were wonderful and hippo lady absolutely cracked me up.

Rarity posted:

Hey I have an idea to make the MCU better. Put Aubrey Plaza in every project. Thank you for listening.

Why are we restricting ourselves to the MCU. Put her in EVERYTHING.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barreft posted:

e: good snipe

Please no spoilers for next week.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wife: "Wait, what's happening?"
Me, having already watched Legion: "They're about to fight through the power of dance."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HootTheOwl posted:

Wife: "Wait, what's happening?"
Me, having already watched Legion: "They're about to fight through the power of dance."

If Oscar Isaac doesn't do a Bollywood number I want a refund

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYPCNCGEK8

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rarity posted:

If Oscar Isaac doesn't do a Bollywood number I want a refund

Spoilers from the FInale:

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 23, 2022

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

5/10 not enough political poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think that the show is not adequately getting across that Konshu is very mercurial and can be anything from a very petty violent punk to a benevolent protector and everything in-between. Konshu is not wise, not nice, and not all-knowing, he's got a relatively narrow area of power and an extremely short fuse and bad temper. He's the Egyptian God equivalent of the trenchcoat and fedora guy with a basement full of weapons and a chip on his shoulder, constantly muttering "the other Gods don't take me seriously...but I'll show them....I am true justice....buncha assholes."

The show is getting it across very well and nothing is ambiguous or difficult, goons just tend to half pay attention to things and then jump in to say they didn't understand anything and everything sucks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

The show is getting it across very well and nothing is ambiguous or difficult, goons just tend to half pay attention to things and then jump in to say they didn't understand anything and everything sucks.

Agreed. Khonshu being the vocal petty rear end in a top hat god is the most enjoyable part of the series beyond watching Oscar Isaac being awesome actor, Oscar Isaac.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7bQ0lRMxs

They should have used this as the end credits song for episode 4.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KEhBdS9sU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo