Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I though that was a great line.

They ARE like sisters. They both grew up in a hosed up situation, sharing a mother who uses them as tools, not people.

They just didn't see it before this point because the Spartans had all their humanity surgically removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Removing the chip allowed her to use her smarts to manipulate her "sister".

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I want to like this show, I mostly like the cast, except for Kwan, but man is it a slog to get through. I understand narrative changes are sometimes necessary, but the moustache twirling they have Halsey doing is just such a weird choice.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I guess this is neat and all but who's this guy with the helmet? They should put him on the show once in a while

https://twitter.com/Unyshek/status/1516537005013803009

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Gosh it sounds like alot of people are butthurt that this series doesn't follow the game story completely and are lashing out online about it.

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms for this show, but being upset it doesn't follow the game series which has always has been an pastiche of well worn sci fi concepts from better properties wrapped around a barely comprehensible plot. I know there's 27,000 adjacent novels but I don't think the games themselves ever cared to keep up with those either.

I must be weird in that I don't want to hear the same story re-told again and again. I'm hoping we don't see the show take the wrong learnings from the vocal feedback and turn it into a reference filled saturday morning action cartoon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

Gosh it sounds like alot of people are butthurt that this series doesn't follow the game story completely and are lashing out online about it.

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms for this show, but being upset it doesn't follow the game series which has always has been an pastiche of well worn sci fi concepts from better properties wrapped around a barely comprehensible plot. I know there's 27,000 adjacent novels but I don't think the games themselves ever cared to keep up with those either.

I must be weird in that I don't want to hear the same story re-told again and again. I'm hoping we don't see the show take the wrong learnings from the vocal feedback and turn it into a reference filled saturday morning action cartoon.

fart

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno how people can complain about it not following the game's plot when it's set before the game. And they're still pretty much taking what we know and adapting it, just with a few tweaks like giving Master Chief more of a personality because this isn't an FPS where you're always seeing things from his POV. He has to have a face and story, otherwise the show wouldn't work.

Now how well they're doing that is debatable. And they really need more action.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno how people can complain about it not following the game's plot when it's set before the game.
Isn't this exactly why people are complaining? Like they chose to set it before the game, they could have adapted the game (however loosely) and have the show take place on the Halo itself.

Instead of spending ten episodes on an alien artifact hunt to lead them to the Halo (at this rate we'll probably get a shot of it through a spaceship window at the very end of the season) with a barely-connected b-plot about a rebel uprising somewhere.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Isometric Bacon posted:

You will enjoy season 2 then which will just be a straight adaptation of Halo 1 and the sets will be 3 identical rooms with lots of flood coming out of air vents for 15 minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 2 Episode 7.

343 Guilty Spark: Welcome to the Library Reclaimer. This episode will be the first of ten!

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Isometric Bacon posted:

I can only speak for myself, but my issue is in the choices they've decided to make narratively. The Fall of Reach is a very servicable story leading up to the discovery of the first Halo. Initially, I was interested in seeing that adaptation, but then news came out that they were telling a different story, which is fine. The problem is that the story they replaced with is worse. If they were going to change so much of the story and characters, why use the Halo name at all? They could have rebranded this as an Expanse or Stargate spinoff and people probably would have excepted it. I don't know who this show is for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

You're gonna get roasted for this, but yeah I 100% agree. Fidelity criticism is just... goddamn it's just loving stupid essentialist boring repetitive nonsense.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think the smartest thing they did was say from the get go this is not canon with the games, its its own twist on the universe. But even saying "hey hey now, this is just a fun thing, enjoy it for what it is, we're not stepping on canon for the people that read the 50 paperback books or whatever" wasn't enough for people online to get hung up on changes.

Theres so much that can't carry over from the games, you can't just follow one silent person around shooting stuff, so you need an ensamble cast, and that cast need something to do, their own motivations, growth, story, not sit around while we cut back to a guy running around brutalist architecture shooting stuff for 10 hours. So they're spending 4 episodes so far setting up what they can, and maybe it falls apart and the season just goes terribly, but so far it seems fine that they're laying in all these threads and changing some things. Maybe it seems less plodding so far to me because I didn't remember the show was airing until the 4th episode was already out so I binged them. Though I will say the Kwan story is the one part thats really kinda dragging things down and I hope they can make it go somewhere interesting as it feels like total dead weight.

I mean I hope they don't even kill off the other spartans with reach, at least not all of them, as I like having some other spartans around doing stuff and it would feel like a waste to dumpster them all at the end of the season. I also don't quite understand people (not saying here mind you, just the greater internet) being upset about his helmet being off so much. I mean that always seemed like more of a gag than anything about him as a character. Like I recently started replaying the series a few weeks ago for the first time in 20 years, and the very first thing he does at the end of Halo 1, when he's safe on board his ship is take his helmet off. The first thing he does in the second is put his helmet on when he's getting dressed for a formal ceremony (seems like the armor is a spartan equivalent to a dress uniform).

Clearly he's never been a weirdo robot man that sits around in his helmet all day when he's not in combat like the mandalorian. Heck, if anything I think TV master chief is TOO serious and scowly, I had forgotten all the sarcasm, quipping, and funny moments he has.

I'll admit though, I haven't played the games since they came out, never played any of the games after Reach, didn't even know they wrote books, and my memory of the ones I haven't replayed yet is hazy, so I don't really have the most revered feelings on the fine plot details. As long as they hit the big notes, reach, halo, guilty spark, the flood, earth attack, giving back the bomb, the arbiter, etc and don't fall apart trying to drag things out too much like so many awful "prestige" shows, then I'm a happy lil' camper.

Oh, though if they don't have a montage scene of some kind of master chief riding into a huge battle while this plays loudly then they've loving completely failed as a Halo show and I hope none of the producers ever work again and it gets canceled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSHYFQ_LUIk

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Got to admit, it would be a hilarious and bold move if season 2 is a mix of the other characters continuing their intrigue and storylines, every so often cutting back to John wordlessly running through Halo corridors shooting things for 10 episodes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Yay a battle, it wasn't bad either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This was an expensive episode. Pretty rad.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That was great finally seeing some covenant besides just elites.

God help me I don't know if its good or bad, but besides the notable absence of Halo music, every part of that felt like a level out of the video game, lol.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
John Halo doens't gently caress around.

Upon reflection they should have condensed episode 2 and 3 into one, and this should probably have been the ending of episode 4, not 5.

Anyway, pretty good overall, expensive set piece and has some cool easter eggs and reveals for fans.

drunkill posted:

Before I saw this teaser I figured Kai saw John Halo take out his inhibitor and would copy him (since we saw her with hair dye in the trailer) and because of her emotions she'd be the first silver team spartan to die, reacting in a combat situation unlike the other spartans and unlike John because he has Cortana to help him out.

Also figured she'd be the first to die as she's the sniper and separated from the group at some stage.

I was 95% correct here, she lived instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I know there's 27,000 adjacent novels but I don't think the games themselves ever cared to keep up with those either.

Lol

Lmao

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, that was pretty good! The action felt much better shot and directed than in the first episode, and it was fun to see John Halo getting up to some actual ridiculous video game shenanigans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Isometric Bacon posted:

I know there's 27,000 adjacent novels but I don't think the games themselves ever cared to keep up with those either.

Soon the Great Halo Let's Read shall begin, but when it does, the weight of your Heresy will stay your feet, and you will be left behind.

This latest episode had some major Tip of the Spear vibes. Just needed some mad lads charging into battle on Mongoose bikes to seal it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

People are upset because the show sucks and its an adaptation, whether you like it or not, of a historic and pretty huge franchise. If your story isn't better than the source material, people are going to compare them unfavorably. I haven't started episode 5 yet, but this show has been a complete mess imo.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The show finally seems to have found its feet, though Madrigal continues to be a millstone around its neck. Every time it cut back to there I got more annoyed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People are upset because the show sucks and its an adaptation, whether you like it or not, of a historic and pretty huge franchise. If your story isn't better than the source material, people are going to compare them unfavorably. I haven't started episode 5 yet, but this show has been a complete mess imo.

The interesting bits in the Halo games are the background and tertiary storytelling, the main plot isn't really much of a story so much as a pastiche of various military sci-fi franchises from the last thirty years or so. So I'm fine with them not jumping right into the titular Halo and taking some time to ease us into the world and I'm not particularly concerned about changes made to the narrative, if they result in a more interesting story or characters. I'm already way more invested in Kai and Miranda Keyes than I ever was for pretty much any NPC in the Halo series, with the possible exception of the Arbiter (hope he does factor into the show, voiced by Keith David if at all possible).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Halsey rescuing Keyes did make me sit up and think 'ooh they're actually injecting some nuance into Halsey'

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
This show is loving terrible and I absolutely love it, in for the long haul.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

The interesting bits in the Halo games are the background and tertiary storytelling, the main plot isn't really much of a story so much as a pastiche of various military sci-fi franchises from the last thirty years or so. So I'm fine with them not jumping right into the titular Halo and taking some time to ease us into the world and I'm not particularly concerned about changes made to the narrative, if they result in a more interesting story or characters. I'm already way more invested in Kai and Miranda Keyes than I ever was for pretty much any NPC in the Halo series, with the possible exception of the Arbiter (hope he does factor into the show, voiced by Keith David if at all possible).

Still better than whatever they're doing on this show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The grunt hijacking a warthog was pretty funny.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Halsey rescuing Keyes did make me sit up and think 'ooh they're actually injecting some nuance into Halsey'

Yo same. Never thought they would try to portray Halsey as caring for anyone ever, even just trying to make sure her daughter doesn’t die.

Arc Hammer posted:

The grunt hijacking a warthog was pretty funny.

With the marine getting shot with like five needles I was waiting for the :wtc: moment but it actually wasn’t that bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yo same. Never thought they would try to portray Halsey as caring for anyone ever, even just trying to make sure her daughter doesn’t die.

I think it's a pretty clear signal that Halsey isn't just a fascist mad scientist with a Project, she really is being honest when she tells people she's trying to make a better world.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I think it's a pretty clear signal that Halsey isn't just a fascist mad scientist with a Project, she really is being honest when she tells people she's trying to make a better world.

Yeah, she seems to fit a kind of "utilitarian" type, ie striving for the "greater good" even at the cost of a "minority" suffering (like everyone involved in the Spartan project) though it's obvious that an extreme version of utilitarianism can easily be unrecognisable from fascism but that does fit the theme of the show so far, not like they are being subtle about it. ;)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, show is bad. But the writers have taken the reference material and are clearly trying to do something interesting with it and I'm willing to follow them down that road.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
oh there the budget is lol

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

oh there the budget is lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

fk yea john halo finally got to shoot some goddamn aliens again that was rad

kinda wish they didn't use the female spartan to be the one who couldnt handle their emotions after taking out their biscuit but whatever

Polaron posted:

The show finally seems to have found its feet, though Madrigal continues to be a millstone around its neck. Every time it cut back to there I got more annoyed.

What is actually supposed to be happening there that I should care about? I have a really hard time paying attention and I don't know why Kwan and Former Spartan are running around getting into scrapes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phenotype posted:

What is actually supposed to be happening there that I should care about? I have a really hard time paying attention and I don't know why Kwan and Former Spartan are running around getting into scrapes.

They're a planet with significant mineral wealth, and the UNSC have been exploiting that for decades (centuries?), and Kwan's dad was the leader of a resistance group that was basically trying to kick them out so the planet's actual inhabitants would get the benefit of their own wealth and also get to govern themselves. After the Covenant shows up and kills Kwan's dad, the resistance basically falls apart and Burn Gorman's character takes over as the defacto "representative" of the people of the planet, gets the backing of the UNSC and then purges all of his political enemies.

It's basically exactly the kind of poo poo that happened in real history where various countries are hideously exploited by world powers with the connivance of an installed puppet dictator who makes out like a bandit while his people get nothing.

Not knowing any of the backstory of the games or what happens in that, the UNSC are absolutely being portrayed as fascist monsters in the show so far, so I'm confused as to exactly how things are going to shift around as they get into more direct confrontations with the Covenant, who are also clearly not good guys. Is Master Chief going to end up working as a freedom fighter helping the exploited people? Because right now he's working for war criminals and it's been made pretty clear that before episode 1 he was - albeit with all his emotions dulled down so he never really questioned what he was told to do - committing plenty of them himself.

The show keeps showing how lovely life is for people under the UNSC unless they're lucky enough to be on Reach or some other high profile planet, but I still don't know if this is a show that is actually going to follow through on exploring those ideas or it's just set-dressing for "But the Covenant are worse and now the war criminals are turning their horrible actions onto them instead."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo has always had the fascist military autocracy in its DNA but its never been in the forefront of the bungie games and the books treat it very much as a background issue in the face of human extinction. To 343's credit, some of the first books to come out after the Bungie Era directly addressed the fascism and spun it into a story about how the horrific poo poo the UNSC committed in name of survival has incurred a debt that needs to be repayed.

In the books most of the anti UNSC sentiment gets a focus in the postwar period but the TV show is definitely taking the approach thar you don't let inhuman practices slide even when humanity's future is at stake.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This was a good episode.

Since they skipped Kwan meeting up with the Covenant lady while she was on Madrigal, I don't get the point of her and Soren anymore. Now they don't seem to serve any purpose to the story at all and all the interesting stuff is happening around the Master Chief.

But I really enjoyed John just destroying all the Covenant, and seeing the different species. Now let's have some funny grunts.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I enjoyed this episode and it felt like one of the "lore accurate Master Chief" videos during the battle which is how it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have no idea why but everyone this episode referred to him as “Chief” and it's a million times better