Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Runa posted:

Yeah this is just what data they managed to gather using an admittedly low-rigor method.

The specifics matter much, much less than broad trends.

For sure, though I have faith in those numbers being mostly good since like, if you're in top 100 in a week's time you're probably logging in (and off) to PvP near exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

I am so confused that even in Gold there are people in CC who just run away from the point during overtime. Like they're the only person on your team on the point, they take some damage and decide "ooh! I'd better run away and heal...bwuwh? we lost??"

With no more context here it sounds like it would’ve been a loss anyway

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Ahahahahahahaha

:suicide:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Echoing dragoon as a good option to climb with if you’re confident in getting kills. You have such an easy way to delete anyone with just a little bit of cc that the lb is just icing on the cake. Games as samurai felt more frustrating cause there was some reliance on some more burst coming from someone else but with dragoon all the way to diamond it wasn’t as much of an issue.

Also people cannot see the dragoon lb circle but everyone still runs from the samurai instinctually when lb is up

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The funniest CC win I had I was playing as SAM as hassled the people in the circle and then started to run away and a bunch of them started to run after me and then a big “You Win” popped up. LMAO.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dryzen posted:

You've never won a game from behind during overtime?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's possible to win if you're on the backfoot as long as everyone's up and can coordinate a bit.

if people are getting picked off one at a time and stratifying their respawns then no, that's a loss.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In some games of CC the enemy team just decides not to target me ever, and I get free reign to harass. Those are the best games. The other best games are chasing a whm off into a corner and baiting them into a duel that neither of us will win. Well, my team will win because you aren't firing your death laser at them.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm not talking about conga-lining, I'm talking about my bafflement at people being the only thing preventing your team from losing, and then making the decision that makes your team lose instantly.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

Wonder how long until we start seeing some real pvp changes. Other than the whm bug which I suspect will get fixed next Tuesday, wonder if they think the way things have panned out now is good enough to act on or if they want to wait and see if the meta shifts.

At the very least, WHM and WAR need emergency nerfs, and GNB/BLM/RPR need emergency buffs. Doesn't have to be widespread in 6.11, but I would like to see them respond to problem metas quickly if this mode is going to maintain a population.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Dryzen posted:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

lol I went to do Hatchingtide, something that surely I can't screw up and lose at, and I got a DirectX 11000002 error and this:

Today has not been a good day. :negative:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Roluth posted:

At the very least, WHM and WAR need emergency nerfs, and GNB/BLM/RPR need emergency buffs. Doesn't have to be widespread in 6.11, but I would like to see them respond to problem metas quickly if this mode is going to maintain a population.

Yeah I'd agree. WHM LB cd needs to go way up and they need to take the aoe stun off primal rend. Not really sure what they could do to fix reaper or gunbreaker honestly, their kits are just... bad.

Edit: Actually, buffing the reaper attack that builds stacks from 8k to 12k is probably good enough. Maybe also increase the baseline damage of the stack spender and lower the cd. At least then they could burst about as well as a nin or sam. Maybe even a little better than them, but that seems fair since survivability, cc, and limit break aren't as good as sam or nin.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The other WHM nerf (or Sage buff?) I want is stopping the polymorph from simply deleting the Sage Limit break. That might get me to go back to playing Sage.
Right now, just about every opposing team has a WHM, and at higher ranks, most of them know about it and save their Miracle of Nature to use it as soon as you place the LB area.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 22, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah the WHM LB cooldown and uncleansable poly are probably the most egregious. I don't actually think WAR is too bad but primal rend losing its aoe stun would make me less irritated so that works for me.

I hate aoe caps but maybe make the SMN LB smaller instead. DRG and SAM LBs could use some more visibility - hell, all of them probably could. Although that's maybe because I don't have battle effects on?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

acumen posted:

I hate aoe caps but maybe make the SMN LB smaller instead. DRG and SAM LBs could use some more visibility - hell, all of them probably could. Although that's maybe because I don't have battle effects on?

I have full PVP effects on, and there's still some big readability issues with certain ults. WHM's ult feels weirdly invisible on the receiving end for being so loving powerful, and the only time I even notice that a DRG is using Skyshatter is usually after my goose's been cooked.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I always try to keep an eye on the opposing drg when their bar is filled. As soon as I see them empty their bar and go untargetable, I either gtfo or guard up.

Problem is getting the rest of the team on the same page.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Fix the cure bug but don't nerf WHM

Buff everyone else up to WHM :unsmigghh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Glad to see the FGC balance discussion has finally come to FFXIV PvP.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I tried playing some classes I hadn't tried out yet in casual and man even if they aren't ~overpowered~ SMN, MCH, and especially MNK are super fun. The MNK combo of Enlightenment > Thunderclap > Meteostrike has finally dethroned the GNB 3-minute burst as my Favorite poo poo In The Game

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

(something like 40 collective hours later) it's just that easy

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Having started at the tail end of the 5.x series the 6.1 patch is my first taste of 'no no you don't understand how much worse it was' thanks to the addition of auto target select for controller actions. How did anyone play this poo poo at all on release.

Also sparing a thought for people who will never experience forgetting to turn their speakers down before HOOOOOOMMMMMME

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I have to say a 100-streak run is fuckin' amazing.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
That is insane. PvP god.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i might be mistaken but i think that means they earned 100 points in Crystal while being on a win streak, not that they were on a 100 game winstreak. Crystal uses a different rank system than bronze-diamond and uses points instead of the stars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i might be mistaken but i think that means they earned 100 points in Crystal while being on a win streak, not that they were on a 100 game winstreak. Crystal uses a different rank system than bronze-diamond and uses points instead of the stars.

Oooh. Okay. I was going to say.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vitamean posted:

the gently caress

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oooh. Okay. I was going to say.

gonna be real I thought you were joking and didn't wanna ruin it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I refuse to play anything but MCH, mostly because MCH is fairly approachable and never not welcome. It's only got two problems:

A: being all burst damage in an AoE-heavy meta means that you'll never be the sole cause for victory.

B: Bioblaster's presence as a short-range AoE in a combo that's otherwise long-range single-targets is ugly and unhelpful where it is, even if the AoE Heavy is good.

People complain I should just be in the casual queue if I'm here for the rewards. I say if you think you're better than me, then the ranked queue shouldn't be putting you in range of my sniper rifle.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
being the guy to bring a gun to the sword fight was always a funny enough idea to me that im in to it regardless of current balance. see also: shooting gods in the face

ill allso always prefer someone who enjoys their class and knows it real well because theyre better in clutch then someone who's been playing fotm for two days and folds when a fight doesnt go perfectly. doesnt matter if its pve or pvp.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the casual match queue is a trap imo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The one thing CC needs is a giant countdown to round end centerscreen lol

Maybe at like 5 seconds left, maybe 10

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vitamean posted:

the casual match queue is a trap imo

I mean, it always is.

If you make both casual and ranked available from the start for everyone, casual is going to be more unfair because it's the thing that doesn't apply any MMR (or has less players to a degree that MMR ranks fold in on each other). You see it all the time in fighting games; you queue ranked if you want to see people on your skill level and accept that 'your skill level' might be a Laura that knows exactly one move, you queue casual if you want to play against Literal Real-Life Akuma.

Using casual as a prereq like Dota and League do is marginally better, but only in the sense that then everyone understands that it's just day care until you unlock ranked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

All matchmaking uses MMR. The difference is that casual won’t be as strict about equal mmr within a team. Only making sure the two teams are roughly balanced against eachother. Even if both sides have a single crystal player and 4 bronze.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Get in, loser, we're going magiteking.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

HackensackBackpack posted:

Get in, loser, we're going magiteking.

:woop:

I can't seem to find anything telling me how long the Garo event goes for? I want all the mounts but Frontline games take forever :negative:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Where/how do you get the Nero car, anyway? I must have missed something.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Where/how do you get the Nero car, anyway? I must have missed something.

FFXIVCollect says it comes from the Lv90 18-hour venture for combat job retainers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kung fu jive posted:

:woop:

I can't seem to find anything telling me how long the Garo event goes for? I want all the mounts but Frontline games take forever :negative:

they havent announced an end date. it will probably be a pretty long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Super No Vacancy posted:

they havent announced an end date. it will probably be a pretty long time

Yeah, the wiki suggests that it ran for two and a half years last time.