Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do we ever find out who the politician is?

Also prom wasn't a thing in Israel, thankfully.

Nope, she won't say who, but did say it's someone they both hate. Reddit is leaning on Trump but it could be anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Johnny Truant posted:

The gently caress is a promposal

"Will you go to prom with me?"

You know, the dramatic climax of your typical teen movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kids now adays got pressure to make the "will you go to prom with me" into a huge loving tiktokable thing and it sucks cause like 99% of those kids are breaking up in 6 months so its a ton of horrible social pressure over something that will be transient

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nope, she won't say who, but did say it's someone they both hate. Reddit is leaning on Trump but it could be anyone.

Nicolas Sarkozy, I bet. Fucker.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My (30M) girlfriend (29F) accidentally insulted my step mother, and now the step mother tells her that the family relationship is ruined.

is it even worth smoothing things out with this person? 'cuz this is not the only time they're going to have go through all this

also it's good to know i'm not the only one who didn't know what a promposal is. lmao, prom. glad i skipped that poo poo

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hope she's not too rough on him or he may prompose as R Budd Dwyer.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I literally never heard the term before today and right now, I just used my brain to make an inference and draw a conclusion

They can do those things, brains can

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr. Lobe posted:

I literally never heard the term before today and right now, I just used my brain to make an inference and draw a conclusion

They can do those things, brains can

you ain't doin' nearly enough drugs

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Foo Diddley posted:

is it even worth smoothing things out with this person? 'cuz this is not the only time they're going to have go through all this

Nope. It's only downhill whatever stop is next on the express train to hell

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Hope she's not too rough on him or he may prompose as R Budd Dwyer.

:woof:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I told my boyfriend I won’t answer the door if he goes through with his promposal idea?

loving promposals. Then again I am a bad judge, I never went to prom.

Instead, I think this kid should hire Rudy Giuliani to deliver the promposal on Cameo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Awesome. My neighbor complained about mine a few years ago and I had to have my rooster butchered. There are like ten other roosters in the neighborhood, but this rear end in a top hat decided to put his nose in my business.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

therobit posted:

Awesome. My neighbor complained about mine a few years ago and I had to have my rooster butchered. There are like ten other roosters in the neighborhood, but this rear end in a top hat decided to put his nose in my business.

Man I love chickens, and it's cool that a lot of towns have options for people to raise them. But raising roosters in a neighborhood sucks for everyone around you.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Roosters are cool
Dumb as gently caress though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My kid went to prom with her three best girlfriends. Man, I wish I'd had that option when I was a teenager, but if you didn't have a guy, you couldn't go.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My kid went to prom with her three best girlfriends. Man, I wish I'd had that option when I was a teenager, but if you didn't have a guy, you couldn't go.

When I was a teenager in the late 90s, that was a popular thing to do at my school too. Lots of people went with their group of friends.

For senior prom I asked my guy friend, and about 40 of us nerds went as a large group and had a blast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For my prom we had a LAN party instead.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i think i went to the goth club instead. which is like, just vampire prom really

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My hometown has the prom attendees show up in the weirdest or fanciest vehicle possible, walk a red carpet, and (before he died) had a town cryer proclaim your names. Over a thousand people would show up just to watch, and this was a small town. I can't imagine what the addition of promposals have added to that mayhem.

My year the cool kid group all climbed out of a milk tank. The year before my friend and his date showed up in pyjamas in a bed on wheels. I just went in my best friend's dad's muscle car (super boring).

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Was prom different in the 80s/90s? Prom ruled, you did a bunch of what you suspect was molly, railed a few lines hung out with a cute girl and then split the moment people weren't looking to go gently caress around. Was prom not always an excuse to get it wet but romantically.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Boba Pearl posted:

Was prom different in the 80s/90s? Prom ruled, you did a bunch of what you suspect was molly, railed a few lines hung out with a cute girl and then split the moment people weren't looking to go gently caress around. Was prom not always an excuse to get it wet but romantically.

2005 promer, can confirm drugs and gettin' down.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I went to prom with a big group of friends. The rule was that freshmen and sophomores weren't allowed to attend unless they were invited by an upperclassman, and one of my friends asked my sophomore neighbor if he wanted to come to prom. He said "Sure, that sounds fun! By the way, my girlfriend attends another school; can you get a ticket for her too?" To make things even worse, my friend was the driver for the whole group so she had to chauffer them around.

Several people asked her if she wanted them to beat my neighbor up and to this day I am baffled she said no.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

therobit posted:

Instead, I think this kid should hire Rudy Giuliani to deliver the promposal on Cameo.

only if she acts like Ken Jeong

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for letting my daughter get a “nose job”?

quote:

My daughter(16F) has had breathing issues most of her life and I have chronic sinusitis. Neither of us can breath though our noses when lying down. She did allergy testing, tried nasal sprays, neti pot, air purifier, etc etc and nothing helped . After a while she was losing sleep due to not being able to breath so we brought her to an ENT who suggested turbinate reduction and septoplasty. He did warn us that the surgery could make her nose look wider and she was afraid of that but agreed to do it because she couldn’t handle not being able to breath.

The healing from the surgery was hell but afterwards she could breath significantly better. The surgery did make her nose much wider and it didn’t fit her face as well compared to her presurgery nose. She complained and hated her nose but my husband and I told her to give it some time.

After 2 years she asked us for a rhinoplasty to get her nose back to presurgery shape for her birthday and I agreed. My husband was very against it and told us only sluts get rhinoplasty and he won’t let our daughter get plastic surgery. We had lots of fights until I just took her to get her nose fixed. In my mind it’s not really a cosmetic procedure if it’s to correct what the previous surgery caused. Surgery went well and she likes her new nose but my husband tells her she is ugly now because she got plastic surgery and she has cried and yelled at him for it. I probably should have known he would react like this because he is very conservative and against all plastic surgery.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mx. posted:

Only sluts get nose surgery because that's where the sailors cocks go. Right up the snozzer. Many people are saying it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

greazeball posted:

Goddammit, are adoptive families going to be collateral damage in the "what is a woman" phase of the anti-trans wars? This poo poo sucks so much for everybody

TERFs are insane and want to destroy literally everything, yes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Troublemaker posted:

"For safety."

To be fair sexually harassing your roommate does have potential to be hazardous, safety first.

Eeek

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Mx. posted:

quote:

"only sluts get rhinoplasty"

Was I [23f] wrong to secretly save money? My husband [24] of 5 years is upset and feels used

quote:

Upto about 6 months ago I was a stay at home wife with no kids. This is something that my husband and I both prefered. We have been planning to move out to a different state this spring/summer.

I thought we were fine, financially. My husband had gotten a bonus from work last year and made a decent amount. However, about 6 months ago he told me that we were blowing threw money and he only had 500 dollars in his account.

I was floored. I realize that it was stupid of me to not keep an eye on his account with him and to be so oblivious. The overspending is both of our faults. Most money was being spent on dates and dinners. Some of it was spent on car repairs.

After he told me this, I got a job immediately. However, a week after getting my paycheck I noticed that all the money was almost gone. No problem, I thought. That means we spent less of his money. I asked him, and that turned out to be not the case. We had just spent twice as much money. He started grabbing expensive coffee for breakfast and had bought a couple of luxery items such as a new wireless controller and headphones.

I did not want to go on at this rate and got an idea: I would take out half of my paycheck in cash, and store it upstairs in my closet from now on. I would not touch this, and I would not tell anyone because the less people that are tempted to get into our secret savings, the better.

In the months to come, I spent all of the money I didn't store in cash, paying for groceries and other necessities. His money was still draining away, but I was less concerned now. I admit that I bought some luxery things like 1 ebook a month and a new dress twice.

Anyway, yesterday he told me we couldn't move out this summer because he wasstill broke and we had pissed away our money. I got the savings box from upstairs and showed it to him, thinking that he'd be relieved. Ithad nearly 6000 dollars in it; enough for plane tickets and a deposit for a new place.

However, he got angry and told me it was ridiculous that I was secretly saving up while we were spending his money freely and that I used him. I told him that the savings are his as much as they are mine, and that they are for us to start a new life together.

He was still very angry and wouldn't hear what I had to say. I offered that we go see a financial counselor to help us save up from both of our paychecks and budget more, so that we both saved money, but he said no. He is now not talking to me.

I did apologize of course, but it didn't help. What should I do?

TL;DR; I secretly saved money. Husband is angry.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 22, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, before the content, unrelated to anything: where is that av from? Google image search and trying to look for the half-seen text hasn't helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sgFJ_1DZk

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

This is from pre-covid times

My (20F) boyfriend (27M) has a twin (27M). His girlfriend (23F) thinks they need to be treated exactly the same.

quote:

Basically, my boyfriend Chris and I have been together for a year and a half. We moved very quickly and we were living together within six months. We've been extremely happy together ever since and have no issues splitting bills or with cohabitation. His brother, John, has been with Melissa for two years. Chris asked me to move in with him. Melissa begged John to let her after I did.

Ever since, anytime she gets wind of something Chris and I are doing she immediately wants the SAME exact thing. For example last year Chris and I booked a trip to Bermuda. The next day they booked one for a week before us upon Melissa throwing a fit. I bought Chris a very nice tablet for his birthday. Melissa left in the middle of the party and made sure to spend more money than I did to prove a point. Last weekend I got a new car. She's been bitching about how she wants one and begging John to cosign ignoring the fact that I saved and bought it in cash myself.

One of the worst examples is I had a "surprise" last summer. The moment she found out she started pressuring me to let her adopt our baby because she wanted one. I miscarried. She then started trying to push John into having kids and started buying baby clothes and leaving them on the open without any consideration to the fact that we were mourning. John told her he didn't want to adopt and didn't want kids. She did it anyway.

It's frustrating to say the least.

The biggest issue I'm having right now is that for my 21st birthday we've been planning since before we were together to go to Vegas. Last night, Melissa pushed John into going for her birthday which is a week before mine. He suddenly decided he was going to propose. This is the second major vacation that we've planned that he's stolen the idea for and tried to top it.

I understand that it's petty, but it's also frustrating that she has to steal the specialness away from anything unique that I or we do together.

Melissa and I are not on good terms. To top it off she is abusive, and I've told her that to her face. How can we approach this subject?

Tl;dr: boyfriend's brother keeps taking our ideas and tries to one up them because his girlfriend gets jealous of what we do. He now is using our vacation to propose to his girlfriend

UPDATE: Turns out that there's a major family event going on the same day they were planning on leaving. They got guilted about going at all that week because Melissa offered to help with the event. I had my dates mixed up, so they are now going some place smaller. John is upset, Chris is laughing his rear end off while we watch Melissa throw a temper tantrum.

Give me your... relationship?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

At least this one is up front about the "I expect you to gently caress me"? Back when I was looking for a college roommate situation, some guy in his thirties had posted an ad on campus about how he was looking for a female roommate, he would do all the cooking and cleaning, she wouldn't have to pay any rent, he would do anything for her, they wouldn't need to have sex unless she wanted to of course, etc. Twenty-something year old me read this, thought "okay, he's going to rape his roommate, right?" and went to look elsewhere. I hope everybody else was that smart.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being upset with him over tattoos?

quote:

There's this cute guy (Jesse, 28M) I've (26F) been seeing for months. he's NOT my boyfriend yet. we've just gone out twice and not by ourselves but with a group so things are still superficial between us but I have hopes for this one.

Here's where the issue started, He's in the same group I'm in on facebook. He posted a picture of his left arm covered in tatoos. Most of it, and said that he got them recently. This irked me because...for one, he didn't tell me beforehand and two, this might cause problems in the future considering my parents are "ultra religious" and have a judgemental view on tattoos in general so I was worried this might affect how they precieve him in the future. I brought this up to him at the next group gathering and he looked shocked when I mentioned it infront of his friends. He seemed irritated after I expressed how he made a hasty decision before consulting a potential partner (me). He didn't have anything to say and his friends kept staring at me. He texted me later asking wtf am I to have said what I said infront of everyone and to "scold" him about a decision he made like I was his mom. I said I was just hurt he didn't bother running this by me regardless of my opinion on it but he said that I had overstepped and embarrassed tf out of him with my reaction. OK maybe I didn't handle this the best way but I genuinly had concerns about factors that would affect our relationship. Again, I'm not against tattoos but I was just keeping my parents in mind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset with him over tattoos?

“Been seeing” a few months
“Potential partner”

Lady, I’m not sure both of you think you are in a relationship.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They've interacted socially twice, I think she literally means she's been watching him for months.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The question has come up a few times, 'Does this person know she is your girlfriend?' and the other way around on occasion.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

when I told her family helps each other she called me a oval office. Last I checked he's still living with her

That's a win

quote:

only sluts get rhinoplasty

uhhhh ok

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tarkus posted:

Only sluts get nose surgery because that's where the sailors cocks go. Right up the snozzer. Many people are saying it.

The dad is into big naturals (noses)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TIFU and ruined my sister’s marriage over a prank

quote:

Ok, so this actually happened last night but it’s been less then 24 hours so I think it counts. Either way, I played a prank on my sister who is a new mom. My niece is 2 months old and I came by to help out around the house some.

I ended up hanging out all day and long after her husband came home from work. The baby was sleeping in a back room so my sister asked me to check on her.

After confirming that my niece was deeply asleep, I saw a nearby baby doll and got a wicked idea. I wrapped it up in blankets and took it back with me, rocking it the whole way.

When I got back, my brother in law was walking across the room in my direction. My sister was sitting on the couch. We locked eyes and I said, “She’s awake and…” and then I dropped the doll.

I was expecting my brother in law to look comical in a scramble to catch her but nope. He instinctively shot out his foot like he was trying to catch a hacky sack and kicked the doll across the living room and into the windows that overlooked the backyard!

My sister screamed and rushed to the doll while I laughed hysterically and my brother in law just stood there stunned. She cradled the doll, now realizing that it was just a joke, but still she sobbed for a long time. She was so furious that she wouldn’t speak to either of us. When she was able, she fled to the back room and spent the night cuddling her daughter.

I spent the rest of my night consoling her husband who also thought it was pretty funny once the shock wore off. He was worried about my sister but she wasn’t letting either of us in so there wasn’t anything we could do about that.

She did message me this morning saying that she is going to stay with our mom until she cools down but that I’m still not to go to her house for any reason.

So yeah, she’s still pissed. At me for doing the prank in the first place and now she doesn’t think my brother in law “has it in him to be a good father”.

Tl;dr - I pretended to drop my sister’s new baby, my BIL booted the doll I dropped by instinct, we’ve both ruined my sister’s trust in us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Was I [23f] wrong to secretly save money? My husband [24] of 5 years is upset and feels used

I thought this was going to be one of those posts where the OP wildly understates what they did and it's obvious they're being a jerk but call me pleasantly surprised. PS: sever.