Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I'm jealous AF of the press. That print looks so good and crisp! I love it!

My first art fair of the year is also in 2 weeks and I have been working on a bunch of new stuff, mostly colored pencil on plywood shapes I have had my coworkers make me with the CNC cutter at my day job. They are all my photo references, so it has been fun thinking of shapes to do.

I took almost the whole pandemic off from not just doing fairs, but making art too. I have to do a lot to catch up. I haven't finished a large drawing since February 2020.

One of my plywood friends:

E: If anyone knows where I should go or look for ideas about buying my own small CNC router that can cut these, please let me know. They are 1/2" thick plywood and I would be fine able to cut 10x10" or smaller.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

My first market of the year is coming up in two weeks (and two weeks after that, and two weeks after that, and a week after that...), so I've started production of some new stuff. The headline? Using the etching press for the first time and ohmygoditmakesthingsomucheasier I've never had such a big area of solid ink come out so smooth

Edit

https://i.imgur.com/HLvdJyU.mp4

The print is wonderful and I want to steal your press.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Finally done with this after a few months of working on it on-and-off, made on A3:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Claeaus posted:

Finally done with this after a few months of working on it on-and-off, made on A3:

drat. That's killer! Awesome linework!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I absolutely cannot find Waldo but it's still awesome

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Hi thread, I'm back with a few pieces to share. The pandemic slowed me down and I didn't make art for like a year, but I've been slowly getting back into things. Here's two watercolor paintings I've done in the last year:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Still going strong with these inktense pencils (don't recommend buying them from derwent though, same set is around $100 on amazon or in your local art supply store) and paint pens, here are the results of a manic creative phase I went through the other week and a couple things I've finished up in the last few days

8"x10"s

16"x20"

9"x12"

(markers and colored pencil)

(colored pencil and paint pen)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 30, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool, I like your use of solid black

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Any tips or tricks for removing crusty old caps from old, full tubes of oil paint?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Carotid posted:

Hi thread, I'm back with a few pieces to share. The pandemic slowed me down and I didn't make art for like a year, but I've been slowly getting back into things. Here's two watercolor paintings I've done in the last year:

omg loving love this

I am off work this week and I'm determined to get some goddamn art done, I keep letting it slip away from me.

Oil paints - lose your temper and wrench it and end up somehow splitting the tube and now your paint is all stupid and there is a thin even layer of phthalo blue on everything you own. That's how I do it anyway.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

HopperUK posted:

I am off work this week and I'm determined to get some goddamn art done, I keep letting it slip away from me.

Oil paints - lose your temper and wrench it and end up somehow splitting the tube and now your paint is all stupid and there is a thin even layer of phthalo blue on everything you own. That's how I do it anyway.

1. Can I recommend sketch journalling? 10~15 mins every day, a small, direct to pen drawing of something in your surroundings and a short blurb (or not)?
2. re crusty paint cap: I was about to say more or less the same, but with more pliers and disappointment.

edit:
3. This is when I went to Brussels for a weekend recently: https://catropy.com/2022/03/22/weekend-to-brussels/ (it could be the certificate is not yet activated, I forgot to activate the yearly expiry, you'd almost think I'd do this stuff as a job)
4. poo poo, I have been eying Inktense pencils for a while now, this work might actually make me fold.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 2, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

1. Can I recommend sketch journalling? 10~15 mins every day, a small, direct to pen drawing of something in your surroundings and a short blurb (or not)?

I'm trying to get into something like this yes! I have my sketchbook always on hand at my desk but I've ordered one a bit more portable that I can just keep with me all the time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I'm trying to get into something like this yes! I have my sketchbook always on hand at my desk but I've ordered one a bit more portable that I can just keep with me all the time.

If you have trouble getting motivated, the book The Creative License helped me out a lot: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40168.The_Creative_License

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

If you have trouble getting motivated, the book The Creative License helped me out a lot: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40168.The_Creative_License

This seems excellent, thank you. I also use Drawfee's art class streams to remind me not to get in my own head about perfection.

Small amount of content, here's some sketches from last week - my little niece was deeply absorbed in playing Plants vs Zombies and was making amazing shapes with herself.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

Any tips or tricks for removing crusty old caps from old, full tubes of oil paint?

pliers work every time in my experience

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I haven't made anything new in a while, but I'm putting a massive backlog of stuff on the Etsy.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Empty Sandwich posted:

I haven't made anything new in a while, but I'm putting a massive backlog of stuff on the Etsy.

:chanpop:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Charcoal is fun but portraits are hard. I gave up getting the likeness pretty quickly and the reference just became a general reference but pretty happy with it anyway.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Claeaus posted:

Charcoal is fun but portraits are hard. I gave up getting the likeness pretty quickly and the reference just became a general reference but pretty happy with it anyway.

That beard looks like it took a lot of control to get right, it's very impressive.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Still going strong with these inktense pencils (don't recommend buying them from derwent though, same set is around $100 on amazon or in your local art supply store) and paint pens, here are the results of a manic creative phase I went through the other week and a couple things I've finished up in the last few days

popped in to say you made me buy pencils

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Keetron posted:

Me too - and they are great!!

Everyone should try them!!!

Here are some random ones I did with inkense pencils.

Claeaus posted:

Trick with charcoal is to be super aggressive. You can always erase. Also use vine and hard charcoal both. Also use WHITE charcoal to pop the highlights vs. just erasing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2022

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That beard looks like it took a lot of control to get right, it's very impressive.

Thanks! The beard wasn't that hard actually, some shading for the different areas first to get some volume and then some erasing here and there to get strands of hair

This looks gross in the best kind of way.

quote:

Trick with charcoal is to be super aggressive. You can always erase. Also use vine and hard charcoal both. Also use WHITE charcoal to pop the highlights vs. just erasing.

Thanks for the tips! It feels like once I've used a blending stump the amount that can be erased goes down a lot though. I have vine charcoal but haven't used it that much, what's the difference? And yeah, need to buy some white charcoal as well..

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

que sera sera posted:

pliers work every time in my experience

The wrench worked. I used the wrench.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

The wrench worked. I used the wrench.

:hai:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Moar coasterzzzz...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

Moar coasterzzzz...

Do these sell pretty well? Been thinking about different form factors to push my art to and waffling

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Made a bunch of new prints for the spring markets

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Made myself cry

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keetron posted:

Made myself cry sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Oil painting number 2!

Got some new colors and wanted to use everything

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oil painting number 2!

Got some new colors and wanted to use everything

Killer! I love colors. They're good

New stuff comin along

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I haven't made anything in way too long, but I had a loving massive backlog of pieces I've been photographing and uploading

I like making really ugly poo poo :D

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Drew this thing with ink pen and a grey brush pen:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Keetron posted:

sigma 6 posted:

Me too - and they are great!!

Everyone should try them!!!

Here are some random ones I did with inkense pencils.

:hellyeah: These pencils have become my absolute favorite thing ever since I found them. I use them in tandem with some other things but I haven't done anything without them in over a year. I'm glad others are finding and liking them as well!

I'm curious to hear what method both of you are using for water application. I've been drawing on dry boards then brushing with water all along, but I recently realized that Derwent's official suggestions are to wet your canvas then draw on it with dry pencils, or wet your pencils and draw on dry canvas. I've been trying those out but not having much luck

Here's one I did last week using just them and then a black posca for outlining afterward:

And here are two from the last few days where I laid down Inktense first and then colored on top of that with markers and ruined a couple copics in the process, because the alcohol reacted in weird ways with the water soluble ink :haw: but this is probably my favorite way to color currently

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am still looking for ways to use them, I have been trying a bit with dry application and then water it with a waterbrush.

ruined a couple copics in the process, because the alcohol reacted in weird ways with the water soluble ink :haw:

copics can provide you with new brush and bullet nibs, if they are really hosed.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

:hellyeah: These pencils have become my absolute favorite thing ever since I found them. I use them in tandem with some other things but I haven't done anything without them in over a year. I'm glad others are finding and liking them as well!

I'm curious to hear what method both of you are using for water application. I've been drawing on dry boards then brushing with water all along, but I recently realized that Derwent's official suggestions are to wet your canvas then draw on it with dry pencils, or wet your pencils and draw on dry canvas. I've been trying those out but not having much luck

I use a waterbrush to blend them if I have them. OR, more likely, I just use a straw with some water. This gives me more texture and are readily available at a bar or restaurant. It's a good idea to add water first (not too much) before layinig down the lines but I ultimately draw on dry canvas as long as I can and then go back over it with a straw or waterbrush. Of course, you could wet a normal brush and get the same effect but a water brush is meant for this kind of stuff. So I try and carry both. Straws almost always win out because I forget the water brushes and remember the inktense pencils without a way to blend them. Use a napkin at the ready to dab up spills, or unwanted color, when they occur.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
Smol freehand I did with sumi ink.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
whips rear end

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Started working on my biggest print to date, I only have checks notes a week to carve and print it before the next market